Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th April 2005, 01:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

my advise too dont go to dealer at all. go out on a sunday with tons of moolah and thats it. spend a day dressing the babe
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 22:33   #47
Team-BHP Support

Finally picked up the Baleno. I got the dealer to do some basic stuff like sunfilm, painting the dash, mirror holder, door knobs, etc. Right after taking delivery I drove to Brigade road to pick up the first ever passenger of my Baleno. Yup, it was none other than the wise old man of Team-BHP, Rudra Sen. After that we drove to Koramangala to rendezvous with Iceman whose friend had a new car accessories shop, which incidently opened today. So I was the Boni customer. Apart from Rudra and Iceman, Psycho and Anoops too showed up to check out my new ride.

These were the choices available for the alloys...

After picking one design, emailed the snap to wife and got design approval. This was the design I picked...

Although I had decided on G3 tyres, I got to see one more tyre which was highly recommended by Iceman, the Yokohoma. First I was not sure, but when Iceman mentioned that his tyres are Yokohoma too, there was no more doubt. The final look...
OK, it isn't very clear since it was already night. I'll post better pictures later. This is the rearview of the tyre, that explains the A pattern if you are wondering.

The other big item was the MP3 player and speakers. Picked the same head unit that is in Iceman's super-Baleno, the Sony CDX-F7700 MP3 player with Alpine 4 speaker system.

Apart from that, just upgraded the head lamps to 100/90 with relays and added a show piece exhaust pipe.

Ok, I am not mentioning prices since they were very very reasonable. I am sure it was because of Iceman's active involvement during the whole time. Besides, I was probably the first major customer on the opening day, I may have got some special pricing.

I would like to thank all members who advised me during my selection process. Special thanks to Rudra Sen and Iceman who gave lots of tips via PM, Phone and in person. An extra thanks to Iceman for saving me lots of dough during the accessory purchase.

More photos and initial driving report will follow tomorrow. As of now, I am dealing with couple of issues. First, I am not able to guage how long the front bumper extends. Second, I keep forgetting about the clutch once in a while since I have been driving Auto or Clutchless manuals for almost 8 years now. I did change gears couple of times without the clutch, but always from parked positions. It will probably take couple of week before I'll start doing it correctly without thinking.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2005, 22:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

hey samurai why dont you start a new thread and tell us about the car...with pics please
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 06:09   #49
BHPian

Yep, rims are cool; but I dont know how they look on baleno. Samurai , I was takina abt the the 2nd rims below from left. They are baleno original style.
Vulken Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 06:28   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Second, I keep forgetting about the clutch once in a while since I have been driving Auto or Clutchless manuals for almost 8 years now.
Just curious! what car was that clutchless manual that you had. SMG??
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 08:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

liked the rims for sure. are they 14 though ? also curious which colour is the car, looks black to my eye. or is it that beam blue or whatever its called. waiting for better pics and review as well. have a good time with it. cheers
Old 23rd April 2005, 09:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower

he had been d riving a santro automatic

samurai,
congrats on ur car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
Finally picked up the Baleno. I got the dealer to do some basic stuff like sunfilm, painting the dash, mirror holder, door knobs, etc.

what the f@#$ did u do to the dashboard.what is the color????

what size tires did u put and what size rims.?????

drive safe,

satya
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 09:47   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The clutchless manual I had was Acura 3.2 TL.

In Jan2004 I switched from Acura to Santro Automatic.

The Alloys were BSA 14" x 6J with offset 38.
Tyres were 195/60R14 Yokohama, I'll tell you the model later, I am going down soon to take some snaps.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th December 2009 at 09:53. Reason: image link correction
Old 23rd April 2005, 18:00   #54
Team-BHP Support

Hi Guys,

I am back with some snaps. Meanwhile I had one horrible experience at Hosur road. Yesterday when I took delivery, the sales person said they always put 10L of petrol for Baleno on delivery, in fact he was proud of that extra service. When I took delivery the odometer showed 28Kms, however I failed to take a closer look at the fuel guage taking the 10L petrol claim seriously. Today we took the car for a spin on Hosur road, I thought I'll fill petrol when the fuel light warns me about it. However, the car started stalling on Hosur road and I quickly brought it to the left side. I looked at the fuel guage showing E and wondered where is the low fuel warning light. Then I saw a petrol station in the distance and hoped it would carry till there. However the car came to a complete halt in front of Dakshin Honda. I got out and pushed the car out of the road.

The odometer showed 71 Kms, I couldn't believe 10L lasted only 42 KMs. Anyway, I walked to the petrol station and got 1L of petrol and filled it. Well, it didn't work. I called the sales guy and he didn't think it was fuel related, and gave me number for the 24 hours Maruti service. The service guy was very confident that it was fuel related. He said put at least 5L and it would work. I again went to the petrol station and got 5L can this time, the guys there were quite helpful, they even gave me a funnel to help me with the filling process. By that time my son was crying due to the heat in the black car under afternoon sun. Once 5L petrol was filled, the car started immediately. Then I continued to that petrol station and filled up the tank completely. What an experience to have with a new car. It was partially my mistake not have filled petrol after delivery, however I didn't expect the low fuel light to fail and 10L petrol promise to be a myth.

Anyway, here are the snaps...

More info the tyres can be found here.

The dash painted with silver garnish like the Vxi.

The front angle view.

The rear view.

The side view.
Old 23rd April 2005, 18:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Samurai. Last pic looks good .....nice choice of alloys and tyres !!

now all it needs is some dark tints and you have a hot hot pimpimg ride ready !

cheers

ps- dont drive on empty tanks maan, that too in a brand new car !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 18:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Yup, black looks good. 195/60 R14 86H is more than enuf.

For a sec i though you got a green steering wheel. LOL

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 18:41   #57
Team-BHP Support

Mr Samurai, please do justice to your baby. Your car looks way better than what I'm seeing here. Please call that old man next time when you shoot yor car.
By the way I didn't see any sweets from your side
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 18:58   #58
BHPian

Hey samurai,
Congrats on the new car.... that one looks pretty neat.
Just one suggestion for pics... not nessecary that you have to stand tall every time... Try some low angle shots.
BTW what brand of alloys are they??? Also after some ride, do post some review on the tyres...
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 19:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, congrats on your new ride! The alloys look really good and blends with the colour of the car really well. Nice pics..

Drive Safe.
shravan316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2005, 20:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

good pics mate. though sorry to say i found the rims a lil small for that image. last pic is very nice and that sony looks like a OE fitment for sure