Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th December 2008, 10:53   #16
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Congrats Porus on your new buy.
unfortunately the Estilo seems to draw a lot of flak for no fault from its side - ( being called the ZEN estilo ) - but while at that - lets not over do the glorification of the OLD ZEN also

I have been on the passenger seat of the Estilo quite often ( in my colleague's car ) the interiors are really good ( the dash wears a very pleasant look and feel - not seen in some more expensive cars )

I hope u gave a piece of your mind to the showroon ppl for letting someone else check out your car ! !
Thank You Narayan, I have been a frequent passenger in the old zen and was not impressed by the old zen.But the new "Estillo" is beautiful inside and outside.

Yes, you are right the dash board has a very pleasant look and the "high" feel plus its long style is good enough for the kind of money the vehicle costs. The legroom is good enough for each member of my family and of course myself ( i am 5.9" and i love the head space room as well )

The overall rating for the New Zen Estillo, irrespective of any ranting against it ( i know a lot of people here would be against a zen estillo sports) but i am very happy ( after all i spend my money before saying this ) and i am glad .

A final comment, the passenger/friends/colleagues enjoy the car more than self driven owner.

Porus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 11:41   #17
BHPian

What made you choose Estilo over WagonR or even the new A-Star apart from the budget? I have been a regular passenger in an Estilo and even i feel that it's a good car for a first timer and has good enough space for a family of 4 or even 5 (if none of them are plump). I am in two minds about getting a new car. It would definitely by a Maruti but I am not sure about my budget! Should i just get an Alto and save up for a sedan in 3 years or should i get an Estilo/WagonR/Swift and use it for a much longer duration.

PS: Somehow, the word 'beast' and Estilo does not go together, but to each his own. Congrats on your new purchase.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 13:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
unfortunately the Estilo seems to draw a lot of flak for no fault from its side
I sometimes really wonder why that is. I have driven this car and the wagonR too and didn't find any difference. Driven lots of other cars from its segment - Santro, i10, Swift (this one is from a segment above though), Indica, etc.

The point is its just like any car in its segment - its got its own set of pros and cons. So is there some really serious problem with this car other than the fact that it stole the ZEN badge! I am a 5'10 and found the seating for the driver more comfortable than a Santro especially the pedals. For a longer drive i'd certainly pick this one over santro. As far as the looks go, i think one can get along - its not that bad at all(except for the pink ) and we've seen worse! I just want to know if there is something inherently wrong with this car?
AviatoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 13:37   #19
BHPian

I think people easily get dissuaded from buying the Estilo primarily because of its egg-shell looks, which in any market is one of the deciding factors. And yes, I dont know what Maruti was thinking when they introduced the abhorrent pink shade. Ugh!
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 13:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Estilo - I hated it when it was introduced, but seem to like it now - kind of like a baby Innova. Have fun with your new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porus
Odomoter showed 85000+ kms But I'd say the "beast " was driven by me for 4,00,000+ kms ( simply because i saw the odometer go from 00000 to 99999 four times ( memory fails me here but 4 times i am dead sure )
You did 485000kms on a M1000 ?
Man, that is quite some kms.

Say what, forget the Estilo (for few days) and let us have a report on your M1000. That would be interesting.

P.S.: Get a feedback form from your dealer and fill it and send to MSIL mentioning how the dealer used your car for TestDrives. Don't just limit your anger to venting here - we need these guys to stop using customer cars for TestDrives and it is action like this that will help us. Rest assured that you will hear from MSIL and also from the dealer after you post your feedback.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 17:51   #21
BHPian

Thumbs up You would be thinking what was i smoking/drinking/<insert another bad habit here> !

Thank You all once again,

SupremeBaleno SIR, ( After all you are supreme)
Yes side ways it is a baby innova - I have nicknamed my car "the beast" or may be i should nickname it the beauty and i'll be the beast.

Yes those are some cool nice kilometers to drive a M 1000, but I feel the attention i have given it for 15 years, was good enough, so currently all my diverted ( need to do that, otherwise memories bring tears to my eyes attention is on the Red Beauty/Beast.

Update for all :- Less than 72 hours with the red Zen Estillo and i attempted to be the driver of Transporter 3 ( Its a good enough movie, see it ) and result is a little 1/2 inch paint bumped/ scratched on the side.
How it happened :- This happened on the way to the theatre, getting out of the restaurant, after fine dining, i find a 40 foot long trailer unloading / parked on my left side and a tempo ( with extended rod at back ) on my right side. Felt pain hearing the small scratch as it happened in surprise shocked but happiness all around when i manouveured the beast/beauty which was is it Estillo between such a small tight jam packed space. I had literally half inch ( i kid you not ) space left ( imagine it as you read a 40 FOOT long truck parked on left side with some U shaped hooks close to the car nearly touching) and half inch between my estillo and a freaking tempo on the right side eachonly 1/2-1 inch space. And then AFTER this incident i went to see Transporter 3. He he he i drove better than that french man.

I believe with the way things went and im not being cynical i am being practical :- What is the dealer and /or maruti going to do for me ?
I mean are they going to think i am a dog and throw me a frigging puppy bone here ?

At the most an apology letter ( standard template of course ) signed by some manager ( No offense to anyone but thats how i feel) who has never owned a car , or may be owns his first car and is struggling to write his monthly payment,
Are they going to understand the pain , the emotions ? the sentiments?The moment when my fiancee cried knowing our car was already seating someone else not her "the pampered first me brats know what i am talking about here"
- I did hear from the dealer struggling to ensure that i am "happy with the purchase " . SO it boils down to you gave us money, we gave you the car- Deal !

I got an apology call from the dealer and a cake the following day to "be happy and basically "settle down".

I dont know how others feel but the way i operate my mind is "give me all my money back because you (The dealer and the parent company ) dont deserve my money or loyalty anymore, my 15 years of loyalty to the parent company was screwed up big time by you".
They are never going to give me my money back so, what else can i do , rave and rant here is the only thing thats feasible here. Share my pain here so others are aware in the community and have false hope that some day some time some where some one ( rest has to be censored here )
Are they going to send me some "freebies"? I dont think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Congrats on the Estilo - I hated it when it was introduced, but seem to like it now - kind of like a baby Innova. Have fun with your new ride.

You did 485000kms on a M1000 ?
Man, that is quite some kms.

Say what, forget the Estilo (for few days) and let us have a report on your M1000. That would be interesting.

P.S.: Get a feedback form from your dealer and fill it and send to MSIL mentioning how the dealer used your car for TestDrives. Don't just limit your anger to venting here - we need these guys to stop using customer cars for TestDrives and it is action like this that will help us. Rest assured that you will hear from MSIL and also from the dealer after you post your feedback.
arindambasu13 :- The eggshell design fits. Well i assume and correct me if i am wrong, usually these cars in india are actually made for export markets ( all companies ) They do the R&D here and as per their agreement with the govt while setting up business here they release X number of cars for us aam junta. So money both internationally and locally as well. * people in senior finance department in international companies would agree with me on this here * On colors pink blue or yellow for that matter all companies are with european preference shades ( relate the colors to my above theory lol ) and in that context the "merwala pink" and the pink is meant to attract the college girls/working ladies but then indian ladies ( no offense to any lady in the north, I and you both know you are fine and good heighted ) are not going to appreciate the height headroom. They would prefer cosy alto or hyundai i10 or even Astar

Aviator :- I am very happy with the headspace and overall comfort when seated inside, Read my manoveuring episode above and it was just not possible with any other extended body at back vehicle. Badge S should never be a criteria for anyone. the specifics should be the personal decision.
The i10 is not my style nor value for money and irrrespective who says what and the swift is more expensive by a lac, and does not have that feeling what the Estillo has.

kalpeshc:- Repeat after me " The Beast is unleased". Thrice repeat slowly till it permeats the brain. It need not have any meaning but it makes me happy, its MY beast/beauty undecided yet. Others may choose what they call their automobiles and "my respect" to all those who have named their vehicular possesions. More ++respect to the ones with funny oneliner stickers at the back rear view screen.

About your queries :-

The Astar and the ALTO both test drive was cramped at headspace, even when back seated and in driver position front as well ( minimum seat pulled totally in front compared wth estillo, check it up)
In estillo with normal seating i can seat and drive properly and the back passengers would have better than normal legspace for themselves.
In the A-star back seat is slanted so i sit there and i cannot even put my hand on my head. The left hand ring scrapes between my head and slanted roof. Plus the legroom is small /same as alto.
A-star and Alto :- The engines are 3 cyclinder and underpowered as they are not 1000+ cc. The Estillo IS a 1000+cc engine and i test drove all 3 vehicles on same road within 15 minute difference of each and found the zen to be more powerful on the slopes with a/c on.

Head room is beautiful ( this is the mini innova after all ) + 1000+cc engine ( this is where i use the word SWEET ! old skool peeps would agree with me on this one) Thus in comparision Zen Estillo was better than others.
Old 18th December 2008, 21:11   #22
BHPian

May be slightly off-topic but today I went with a friend to Test Drive i10 to Deep Hyundai, Mangolpuri, Delhi.

The salesman took us for a TD (1.1-Era, Gray) and it was not a TD Car. It was a normal car and guess what, the speedo was not working. I specially asked him and he told me they they disconnected the wire.

Exactly same what you faced.

So, its not just Maruti, most of the dealer do it.

Bad.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 21:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Porus - I think in todays day and age ( when smashed up test drive cars are repaired and sold off as brand new without being apologetic ) , an apology call and a cake to follow that is definelty good customer service by present standards ( and I dont expect this from ANY MANUFACTURER OTHER THAN MARUTI IN INDIA to do even this ). So don't give too much to this. After all, many people would have sat in ur car starting from the factory test driver to the chap who drives it from the yard to the showroom. So a few unsuspective "prospective buyers" doesnt matter
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 07:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
May be slightly off-topic but today I went with a friend to Test Drive i10 to Deep Hyundai, Mangolpuri, Delhi.

The salesman took us for a TD (1.1-Era, Gray) and it was not a TD Car. It was a normal car and guess what, the speedo was not working. I specially asked him and he told me they they disconnected the wire.

Exactly same what you faced.

So, its not just Maruti, most of the dealer do it.

Bad.
That's aweful and shocking bad to know most dealers indulge into such activities. And now with narayan quotes his experiences/knowledge about such activities as well amongst other manufacturers, i feel like

on the topic if customer satisfaction, i am sure we are not yet ready for it as narayan shows we are all " Chalta hai Hota hai" but its a fact and some indian and few other countries are miles away from the concept of being happy as a customer , giving a customer delight when we work as a company and as happy individuals as a person. I guess acceptance of nonsense means "its the only way".
Old 19th December 2008, 12:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Porus, it is not about an apology. It is about a wrong practice and this can be stopped only if people complain. If all of us just shrug our shoulders and move on, do you think there is any motivation for the dealers to up consumer satisfaction levels and to avoid wrong practices ?

It is only going to cost you Rs5 (stamp - dont remember if it is payable by MSIL) and some time to fill it out. Please do it so that atleast some other woman does not have to cry when she sees someone else taking a TD of her new car.

And, believe me, customer feedback is taken very seriously by MSIL - it is not just a standard reply from 'some' manager. I have gone this route and I know the way it works.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 11:42   #26
BHPian

Talking

Dear SupremeBaleno,

You are right when you say it is a wrong practice. That is the reason why I wrote about it and i expected some like minded people's support. But i was dissuaded by few others who claimed it was "OK" and like someone before said many people would have driven my car before me. Thus i went quite and thought may be/what if i am the odd man out asking( not demanding) some service ( i felt i paid for it whatever they charged me, so this is my minimum expectation.
Then for a moment after reading these forums over and again about what the others said, i felt may be my parents pampered me more ?May be because i work in the luxury industry I am expecting high hopes. What if this is the real world out there like mukeshgoel also experiened it in another city with another brand/dealer? So i distributed the cake and went shut quite.

Thank You i will be taking your suggestion and of course i would not be at ease knowing some lady some day could potentially cry on the same topic, Thus i will be putting my words to MSIL as suggested by your goodself, irrespective of what they feel of me as a customer. After knowing there is some light at the end of the tunnel from your experience i will walk the dark tunnel.

My question to Narayan :- What if you were buying a AUDI A8 /PORSCHE CARRERA/911, Rolls-Royce ( i like the old classic ones in the display show case better than the new matchboxes) <--- INSERT YOUR FAVOURITE MODEL AUTOMOBILE HERE/preferably something costing near a crore plus obscenly high amount --> THEN would you still carry the same knowledgeable feeling of the "Any Other Manufacturer" and being impressed with a cake ? * shakes his head in disbelief *

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Porus, it is not about an apology. It is about a wrong practice and this can be stopped only if people complain. If all of us just shrug our shoulders and move on, do you think there is any motivation for the dealers to up consumer satisfaction levels and to avoid wrong practices ?

It is only going to cost you Rs5 (stamp - dont remember if it is payable by MSIL) and some time to fill it out. Please do it so that atleast some other woman does not have to cry when she sees someone else taking a TD of her new car.

And, believe me, customer feedback is taken very seriously by MSIL - it is not just a standard reply from 'some' manager. I have gone this route and I know the way it works.
Old 21st December 2008, 14:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Porus, Congratulations for your car. Upload the pics soon.

And as far as the incident of the dealer using your car as a demo vehicle for potential customers is concerned, I would say, you SHOULD write to Maruti regarding the same. I agree totally to what SupremeBaleno said and also understand your sentiments. Maruti does provide dealers with Demo Vehicles, then why use a customer's car? Now you have an even stronger case, that the dealer offered you a cake ACCEPTING that he indeed used the car as a demo vehicle.

I also feel that if we as customers start refusing taking test drives on non-demo vehicles, can this malpractice be curbed. But for this to work, I guess, manufacturers should ensure that the Demo vehicles are properly labelled.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 22:48   #28
BHPian

Dear Dry Ice,

Thank you for your supporting comment. I am going to send a feedback form to Maruti Suzuki India Limited.

They did agree it was their mistake, they sent the cake, they tried to ensure their apologies were well heard by me.

Like supremebaleno says' no other woman should cry when she takes her car delivery. This time it was my fiancee, next time it would be someone else's wife /child/relative.

Coming to your point ,where you mention " Maruti does provide dealers with Demo Vehicles, then why use a customer's car? " Well I had asked the dealer the question that "IF i am purchasing lxi sports version why are you giving me a test drive of VXi" the reply was " we cannot have test drives vehicles of every variant, only the top end is available." That is how i felt when he responded but then its not that i had a choice.

now a little comment

So i feel they must have promoted the sales guy who can sell me a Maruti Zen estillo lxi sports by showing me a vxi version. ( i did see my same model before i signed up ) and

On the test drive with my family, i was like telling my mother, "mom this is a vxi - better version of the car that im planning to buy, so no power windows will be there at backseat for you." To my sister i was like this car has this that and those features which will be missing from My car, yeah sis the seat fabrics will be different " Man what a test drive.

So thank you for your wishes and the feedback form will hold an annexure on my comments.

Supremebaleno they did give me a feedback form (postage paid by addressee) and i thank all of you for the supporting comments and wishes.

So has it been said " The car beauty has been unleashed on the streets of south mumbai " Now if only i didnt have to think of the 60kmph speed limit till the first service advice.
Old 22nd December 2008, 12:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porus View Post
Like supremebaleno says' no other woman should cry when she takes her car delivery. This time it was my fiancee, next time it would be someone else's wife /child/relative.
Thats the last thing you would want on such a happy moment as this.

And I agree that we can't expect DEMO vehicles for every variant but then again only if the variants differ cosmetically. If engines are different, DEMO vehicle should be provided for each variant.

Please post some pictures of your car. SOON
Enjoy the ride.cheers:
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 08:03   #30
BHPian

Default Zen Estillo pictures uploaded in this post - Page 2

Alright people,
Some pictures of my red zen estillo as she nears 390 odd kms and her second full fuel tank just donel last night. ( full tank lasted 10 days in mumbai city for 350 kms - figuring out the average here).

Here are some pictures attached, first attempt thus kindly excuse any mistakes.
Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-02.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-04.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-005.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-007.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-011.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-024.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-026.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-032.jpg

Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports-picture-037.jpg

I hope you liked the pictures. and if you see me pass by in south mumbai, wave away.

Attention your help requested on finding out the date of manufacture for my maruti zen estillo sports. I read the decoding number in the engine bay but then that was not for maruti but other make.kindly guide in the right direction as i couldnt find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thats the last thing you would want on such a happy moment as this.

And I agree that we can't expect DEMO vehicles for every variant but then again only if the variants differ cosmetically. If engines are different, DEMO vehicle should be provided for each variant.
Please post some pictures of your car. SOON
Enjoy the ride.cheers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Porus,

Congrats on getting hold of your ride!

And where are the photos - please do post them soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
people have been so used to the wagon r, that zen estillo makes them feel akward. i personally feel its more aerodynamic and curvy than wagon r. in short its mostly about personal choice at the end of the day. thats why i asked you why did you buy the estillo. its mostly a personal choice and comfortablilty factor.

do post some pics when u get a chance. congratulations again bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porus View Post
Dear All,

This is my 2nd posting , let the sage begin,

So after 15 years of driving my faithful legendary maruti 1000 (circa 1991)
Today i exchanged the same with Vitesse at Worli, Got standard prescribed ( literally) discount and booked my Maruti Zen Estillo LXI Sports.
Why Zen LXI? Because im 5.9" and my budget was small /short but my feet are long.
I loved the test drive and the length of the car fits my size and family behind and side as well . The sports package thrown in by them was tempting too.

The car delivery is going to be within 3 days and i sit here in gleam remembering the 15 years of my 1000 driving,

Request to the admin, I lay my hands on my "beast" after 3 days, the reviews and comments will be followed here in the same post.cheers: