Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th December 2008, 19:50   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RajeshK : But when I sat on the driver seat, I have concluded that this is not the vehicle for me atleast. I am 6"4' tall and the steering colums actually on my thighs and not able to take turn easily.
It is also about individual comfort. At 5' 8", I do the Accord with the seat all the way back.

Like Benny said, hope you did try adjusting the seat. Like any other car, the interior configuration in this one too would have been done considering that people of different height (& width) would be using the car. A car is not tailored to people of a specific height, and there will be some scope for adjusting things in there.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 20:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
But when I sat on the driver seat, I have concluded that this is not the vehicle for me atleast. I am 6"4' tall and the steering colums actually on my thighs and not able to take turn easily. My suggestion to tall guys, consider Ikon, only after it has the tiltable steering.
I had visited Lathangi Ford and the sales rep actually told me that the steering wheel has been made smaller in this version so that it does not rest on people's thighs. I am not sure because I have never been inside the old ikon. He also said that there is a 6 week waiting time if I book though he did not mention a price hike in Jan.
hsejars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 21:17   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@bullboy: Nopes, there is no music system as standard. However, the dealer may fit one on the test drive vehicle. The one which i test drove had one, IIRC.
ACI does mention that it contains music system and had photo of it .also there was a roof antenna on it.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 22:52   #169
BHPian

Today CnB also showcased an ikon tdci with music system
Old 8th December 2008, 07:03   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Rajesh, did you try sitting/driving with the driver's seat pushed back? A lot of people including myself use the Ikon with the seat pushed back.

All the best buddy.
Yes Ben, did that. Pushed to the maximum, still its the same
But once u push your seat to backside, no body can sit in the rear seat...!!
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 09:01   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Yes Ben, did that. Pushed to the maximum, still its the same
But once u push your seat to backside, no body can sit in the rear seat...!!
LOL! I'm sure there's been some mistake here. But nevertheless Rajesh, looks like you arent really very inclined. I suggest you take a look at some other options as well.

@bullboy : Antenna is standard now? I had to opt for it through a Blast Pack. And i am not really sure about the music system part. Condor would be a better person to comment on that.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th December 2008 at 09:03.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 09:26   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
I had visited Lathangi Ford and the sales rep actually told me that the steering wheel has been made smaller in this version so that it does not rest on people's thighs. I am not sure because I have never been inside the old ikon. .
Partly true. The steering wheel in older Ikon (Like my 2003) was a bit larger in diameter. See image 1

As part of some upgrade in 2007 or 2008 they gave the Ikon the smaller diameter Steering Wheel which was available with the 1.6 earlier.

See Image 2

So I don't think there was any change now and the difference in dia won't be giving a big difference wrt seating comfort. Just try to find if you are comfortable by adjusting the seat. But I've heard that the smaller steering was great to drive
Attached Images

kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:27   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4strings View Post
Hi, wanted to know if someone has anecdotally mentioned this to you or has it come from an authentic source ? Thanks
It was said by the manager of Kairali Ford, Cochin, when we were talking about taking the car in December or waiting till January.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 10:37   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
As part of some upgrade in 2007 or 2008 they gave the Ikon the smaller diameter Steering Wheel which was available with the 1.6 earlier....

Just try to find if you are comfortable by adjusting the seat. But I've heard that the smaller steering was great to drive
Rightly said, kiku. The 2006 Flairs' also came with the smaller steering. Sammyboy who has a 2005 Flair mentions it then came with the larger diameter steering.

How much of space this move has freed up, i am not really sure, but the smaller one sure feels better to hold.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:53   #175
BHPian

Today in news paper i read about price cut on car coz of 4% excise duty and vat .I'm expecting the delivery of tdci next week . is it wise to delay the it for one month .but also i read in same forum that tcdi will be costlier by upto 30k from jan.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:22   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : Antenna is standard now?
Dont think so - neither the HU nor the Antenna. Ford's strategy has been to provide a base vehicle, and then let owners customise it.

At this time, Ford does not even offer a Blast Pack for the Ikon like they used to. The car is too fresh from launch to offer additional features bundled into the same price, or to offer a discount, like they are doing with the Fiesta.

None of the new Ikons I have seen so far at Lathangi had even the antenna.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:27   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
At this time, Ford does not even offer a Blast Pack for the Ikon like they used to.
@condor: is the "Blast Pack" that is refered is same as the Josh kit that Ford gave for 25K ( in 2005 )?
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 12:45   #178
BHPian

@condor : neither did i see it when i went for booking the car.But the reviews in ACI and CnB ndtv , said that music system was availale which made me confusing. Just called the sales executive he also told it is not available as standard fitment.
One of my firend called me and told that ikon will be phased out in 2010 for the new ford small car. Is it true ?
Old 8th December 2008, 13:10   #179
BHPian

called ford customer care toll free number and they told that it will be dealer offer at an extra price and ikon does not come with OEM music system.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:16   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mail4loys - yes, that would be the one.
@bullboy - yes, will be discontinued in 2010, as has been discussed before.