Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th December 2008, 10:21   #181
Team-BHP Support

I spotted the first TDCi on the road this morning while i was on my way to work. It was the morello shade. The owner or the dealer has had the side strips fixed on the doors as it is with the older Ikons, and so that took away some of the emptiness from the doors. I tailed the car on my bike, and noticed that even under some hard acceleration, there was no smoke from the silencer.

EDIT : I meant it doesnt emit thick black smoke like other diesels.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th December 2008 at 10:28.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 22:59   #182
BHPian

Default Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report

Ripped the Ikon TDCi at SC Ford, Malad (W) today afternoon. Was with 4Strings helping him decide on Ikon TCDi vs. Swift VDi.

My observations:

1. I had hated the front end looks on paper. Was pleasantly surprised - looked quite decent in flesh. Was nice in Red.

2. Interiors - dated but ok. Somehow, I liked the beige theme better than my dad's Ikon 1.6 SXi's drab grey. Steering - good to hold, leather would've been nice. Remote boot release is a Rs.5500 dealer provided option - maybe due to the US bailout issue? . No ICE. Small 4 inch slot for the front door speakers. Power windows, Front fog lamps.

3. Ride - comfortably firm - swallowed potholes with ease. Stock tyres felt adequate for normal cornering.

4. Handling - not as frisky as the 1.6. The front felt heavier. Still, retains the Ikon DNA - a decent handler.

5. Driving Impressions -

a. Like the Fiesta, NO turbo lag whatsoever. Frisky to drive in traffic. Clean pulling from 15kmph in 3rd gear and 30kmph in 4th. The 1000-2000 rpm response is super.

b. Clutch is on the heavier side - Swift VDi felt lighter. With the clutch fully depressed while in motion, there was a strange tik-tik sound and it felt something was hitting the clutch at periodic intervals. Not sure if its specific to the TD vehicle. Potential buyers, please check.

c. Steering - precise, good feedback but heavy. U turns and low speed parking turns require some muscle.

d. Gear Shift - Shift quality is precise. Vibrates a lot though. At 80kmph in fifth, you'll get a free hand massage if you grasp the stick.

e. Brakes - surprisingly good - better than my Ikon 1.6. Engine braking ROCKS. All that low-end torque used AGAINST motion.

f. Cruising Speeds - felt good at 90-100kmph. Out of breath after 3000 rpm. Definitely not for very spirited driving.

g. NVH - The worst part. 80Kmph was NOISY- highway drives might get a bit irritating. I didn't feel like going faster than 100kmph - the diesel clutter was omnipresent even with A/C on at full blast. At 40-50 kmph in 5th gear, there was a resonant bass across the dash, gear lever, doors. Might make sense to invest in after market damping/good ICE. The Fiesta is damped much, much better.

h. A/C - Good cooling. Didn't find anything to complain about. the A/C vents were a bit loose, must be specific to the TD vehicle.

All in all, for about 6.1 on road, its looks like a nice buy . NVH could be the biggest pain point, but maybe mileage conscious buyers wouldn't care too much about that.

Incidentally, 48 bookings already in SC Ford, Malad. Delivery would take at least 3 weeks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th December 2008 at 10:57. Reason: TCDi = TDCi
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 23:45   #183
BHPian

Nice review mate !

I think this car will be a big hit with fleet operators !
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 00:21   #184
BHPian

its about 4 secs quicker than the fiesta tdci too!
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 06:56   #185
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
its about 4 secs quicker than the fiesta tdci too!
Thats' great news! So, how long does it take to the ton?It has to be 13secs or less if it is to be more entertaining than the VDi
@dhiman-Very nice review.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 08:48   #186
Team-BHP Support

Note: Thread merged. Let's have all Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report in one place.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th December 2008 at 10:57. Reason: typo corrected.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 09:33   #187
Senior - BHPian

Nice review there Himan.

Sad that the car scores badly on NVH. Vibrating Gearshift lever on a 6L Car -
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 17:30   #188
BHPian

Took a test drive today primarily on Bannerghatta Rd and Vijaya Bank Layout. Rides very well over rough roads - could hardly feel any of the bumps inside. The engine accelerates well and did not feel awkward in congested roads. The steering wheel was a bit tight - but I suppose we would get used to it. Did not have feel anything odd with the clutch (so must have been OK) - himan, must have been something wrong with your TD vehicle but then I have not driven the VDi. I did not feel any vibration through the gear stick either but the max speeds I reached was about 60 that too only for a few seconds before I hit the next pot hole.
Two things that I did not like:
1. I think the clutch & brake pedals are a bit close;
2. The brakes are too effective - it almost felt like an on/off switch! Just a slight tap on the brakes gives a sudden braking effect leading to passenger discomfort. Hope this is just an issue with the TD vehicle.

A/c was very good and even the rear seat passengers appreciated it. Apparently it is driven by a VDC (variable drive compressor) which I think transfers more power to the wheels & less to the compressor when the accelerator is pressed hard.

Overall a very good package as it costs just about as much as a Swift/Vista, cheaper than Getz CRDI and considerably less than the base Fiesta D (2 lakhs less on road price for the same engine).
hsejars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:34   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennai seems to have taken very well to the Ikon-TDCi. I see quite a few of them here and at that price I am not surprised. Ford should have done this much earlier. Anyway better late than never.

P.S. : The side profile looks bad without the strips. They could have also left the front as-is. Maybe just changed the grill to distinguish between P & D - a la Swift & Dzire.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 17:00   #190
BHPian

Pete's has a tuning box for the Fiesta, but will that fit the Ikon? Has anybody fitted Pete's to an Ikon or Fiesta?

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
http://www.petes.in/images/109.pdf

Is the Ikon's/Fiesta's engine capable of taking care of that extra power and torque?
Are there any modifications that are required to the gearbox/drivetrain/clutch/chassis?

I plan to fit one on my Ikon after the first service and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:40   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

I plan to fit one on my Ikon after the first service and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Will this not void the warranty of the vehicle? please check that before fitting it, to avoid difficulties later!
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:21   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Will this not void the warranty of the vehicle? please check that before fitting it, to avoid difficulties later!
From what I have read, it's

Plug-n-play

&

un-plug-n-service

No special tools required and no traces left behind!

That's if you drive sanely and don't end up burning rubber causing undue wear on tyres!
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
From what I have read, it's

Plug-n-play
&
un-plug-n-service
That's if you drive sanely and don't end up burning rubber causing undue wear on tyres!
Yes, you read right. Pete's is plug and 'drive' and un-plug & service.

And yes again, be careful about excess rubber burning!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 01:08   #194
BHPian

Pete's is a great option. But it is 40k for the Fiesta/Ikon. Any other options priced reasonably?
Old 6th March 2009, 15:17   #195
BHPian

Posted this on Condor's thread. I think it is better placed here.

Did some research on tuning boxes for the Ikon. Many manufacturers make tuning boxes for the Ford Fiesta 1.4.

PSI motorsport's website shows that there are 2 models for the PSI box.
1.4 TDCi 50kW 68 HP (5G) 2002
1.4 TDCi 50kW 68 HP (5GA) 2002
One with 5G and the other with 5GA. So which is the engine model for the Ikon/Fiesta sold here?
PSI motorsport : Diesel Tuning : PowerBox
choose Brand a Ford, Model as Fiesta and you can see the 2 options in the Motorisation/power/year... dropdown.

Also, there seems to be SIEMENS version and a BOSCH version.
See here: Tuning, Performance, power, Diesel, system, puce, turbo, additionnel, tdi,CDI, Tuningbox, HDI tuning, Jetta TDI, Toyota D4D, system Choose Ford in the dropdown.

Is the Ikon's engine the SIEMENS version or the BOSCH version?

I plan to buy one from one of these guys, because the Petes box seems overpriced at > 40k.