Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th November 2008, 10:38   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@ 1100D: Is your car running on 14"? Seems like OE alloy wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Those are indeed 14", and OEM from Ford. Part of the NXT series, right Anirban?
Those are stock alloys that came with the car. My car is a 1.6 ZXi NXT from late 2004 bought at a time where they introduced SXi features on ZXi at ZXi price.

Another 14" 5-spoke design can be ordered from the Ford Showroom.

Now regarding the warranty voiding issues due to upsizing, if you buy the rim from Ford Showroom, they are generally considerate.

Quote:
* Steering felt harder to turn, as compared to that on my car, although i rechecked with the sales guy and was informed that the steering has not been changed or modified for the diesel version.

* Power delivery was linear, and no lag as that seen on the DDiS engine, where power comes in rushing once past the 2k RPM mark.
The steering felt that way due to the added weight of the engine with the steering gear setup remaining unchanged.

Regarding the Power delivery, the service advisor at the Ford Workshop went ahead and claimed that the 1.4 tdci is quicker than my 1.6. A fact that he will soon learn otherwise. However, I guess him being able to make that statement speaks highly about the responsiveness of that engine in the Ikon package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
@ Condor - IMHO the reasons for the Blacked out B-Pillar looking better are,

* Lighter shade of the car
* Almost matching colour of the sunfilm
* The Black Side Rub Strip
* The Black strips on top of the Bumpers in-line with the Rub Strip

This kind of gives it a balanced look I feel.

For darker car shades I guess it will look like the one below which is better off with the Chrome lined Side-Rub Strip. I believe you mentioned somewhere that it might be possible to use the same for Ikon
I agree, Kiku's car looks the way it does because of the complete package rather than the B-pillar job itself, although, that is part of the package.

What he says is a good guideline for balancing out cars differently based on whether the paint has a lighter or darker shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
pretty much, extra pocket money for the dealer. Ask him for a break-up & a bill for these 'expenses', and you'll know. The number plate that he gives you would cost about 300 retail - even if embossed, & including the plate. Tell the dealer you dont want these items & see his response.
Then there is "Baksheesh" to top that.

Last edited by 1100D : 14th November 2008 at 10:47.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 10:39   #77
BHPian

@benbsb : Nice review and congrats on your new car !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... he gives you would cost about 300 retail - even if embossed, & including the plate. Tell the dealer you dont want these items & see his response.
I would love to see the face of the person going small and its exactly when they become very expressive
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 10:43   #78
BHPian

Its value for money,Im getting one this jan. Im sure nothing is goin to beat this thing in value but how abt maintaining costs, I have seen couple of ford ikon bills, they are not that impressive. Before that can guys comment on why I shouldnt take this car?
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 10:57   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
@benbsb : Nice review and congrats on your new car !!
Ranjith, which new car were you referring to?! :O
I have a 2 years and 25k kms young Ikon Flair. If thats the one you are referring to, then thanks. The TDCi was just a test drive, when i went to give in and collect my car from servicing. Check out my gallery for my car pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
Its value for money,Im getting one this jan. Im sure nothing is goin to beat this thing in value but how abt maintaining costs, I have seen couple of ford ikon bills, they are not that impressive. Before that can guys comment on why I shouldnt take this car?
West, while i am not too sure about the servicing costs for the diesel version (Ikon D or Fiesta TDCi), you can go through my ownership thread for running and servicing costs on my petrol Flair. Link :
Ownership_Report
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 11:26   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Now regarding the warranty voiding issues due to upsizing, if you buy the rim from Ford Showroom, they are generally considerate.
I checked with the service advisor on behalf of condor, if upsizing to 14"ers was an issue with the warranty. He told me that shouldnt be an issue as earlier ikons did come shod with 14"ers from the factory.

Lest i forget, i think the Flair name is no longer used for the petrol version. Atleast it didnt have the badging on the rear.

Name:  IMG_3334.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 14th November 2008, 11:35   #81
BHPian

thanks ben and condor for the replies, i have almost decided to get the car early next year, unless fiat comes up with GP ever.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 23:33   #82
BANNED

Has there been any change in the wheel size of the new Ikon?

Kindly confirm if the wheel size is in fact, 13" x 5"J. If so, can 13" x 5.5" rims be fitted without any issues?

Slightly OT : What does the 'J' and 'B' indicate in 13 x 5J or 13 x 5B.
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 00:01   #83
BHPian

I had gone to check the veicle in flesh after reading so many views about it on the forum. And man was i impressed, the car indeed looked very neat. A nice walk around the car and i was sure its going to give the dzire a run for its money.

After checking the outside of the car i had a long look inside. Nothing out of the world but again a very nice and neat package apart from some glitches here and there(flimsy door inside handles,hazard light switch) the car looked and felt good. So i asked for a test drive but the salesperson told me that the test drive car hadnt arrived yet, so i left my visiting card and left for home.

The very next day i got a call from NCR FORD that the test drive vehicle had arrived and i could check it out. I fixed an appointment for afternoon, cancelled all the appointments and went for the test drive with my wife and the li'l kiddo. It wasnt hard to convince my wife about the looks when she actually saw it in flesh,although before going to the showroom she was skeptical as we already had an corsa which falls in the same segment and the fact that IKON was a 9 yr. old design. So after seeing that hidden smile on her face we proceeded for the test drive.

As i sat behind the steering wheel i felt cushioned and very well supported in the drivers seat. The salesman started explaining me about the indicators and wipers position which are different from other cars on road. Without paying any heed to his talk(as i already own corsa which has a similar set up) I fired the engine and stepped on the gas.

Voila!!! Was i amazed. YES!! After driving my corsa 1.4 for 7 years i pushed the same amount on the accelerator and the car just swooshed! No noticeable engine noise(maybe coz im used to my 7 year old vehicle) and a solid revv of the engine captivated me instantly.

I had earlier read about the braking issues with the IKON so i tried and tested and to my horror after reading all the reviews i braked a tad too hard and my kiddo(in the backseat with my wife) bumped hear head on the front headrest. So for me no braking problems, in fact more than adequate.

All this while the salesman kept blabbering and i dont remember a word he said as i was so engrossed in the drive. I tried the wipers and he told me now there are two nozzles to throw water instead of one like in the previous model(what an added feature!!)

One thing which I noticed and rightly pointed out in earlier posts also was that the gear lever vibrated. I gave it a benefit of doubt as i had never driven a diesel car before. When i questioned the salesman he agreed that yes there was vibration which is not there in the ford fiesta 1.4. The explanation which he gave me was that the engine in the fiesta was built for that vehicle hence its a refined one while this is a poorer cousin. Maybe he was right but i leave that to you people to throw some light.

Am i buying it?? Offcourse i am come jan/feb and i am definitely getting this beauty home.

Please pardon me if i had violated any rules of the forum as i am new to this forum and this is my first post(the saga will continue for a long time).

GOD BLESS!!
ntranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 00:15   #84
Team-BHP Support

Ntranced, nice review.
Looks like we have more or less concluded about the power delivery being linear, with no lag. The best part was that this was with A/C.

Gear lever vibration is something which other member inputs would be useful.
Old 15th November 2008, 00:31   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Ntranced, nice review.
Looks like we have more or less concluded about the power delivery being linear, with no lag. The best part was that this was with A/C.
I guess the lower weight should be a helping factor in linear power delivery. This could be a point one up over the Fiesta even.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 00:51   #86
Team-BHP Support

How are the spares priced ? And what about extended warranty ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 01:53   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Ntranced, nice review.

Gear lever vibration is something which other member inputs would be useful.
thanx man,appreciate it,this the first reply to my post!!!!!
Old 15th November 2008, 01:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How are the spares priced ? And what about extended warranty ?
Well as far as the spares go the salesman told me that a routine service would not cost me more than 2k. About the extended warranty I dont remember but they have a total maintainance plan for around 10k for 2yrs/1lac kms which covers each and everything including your routine services also. So you basically pay for the fuel cost only.

IMHO it makes sense considering ford's reputation for having expensive maintainance for their vehicles.
Old 15th November 2008, 10:07   #89
BHPian

I am sorry I thought you went to pick up the new ford Ikon !! Checked out your garage nice colour !! seldom do I see Ikon of that colour
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 12:50   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntranced View Post
Well as far as the spares go the salesman told me that a routine service would not cost me more than 2k. About the extended warranty I dont remember but they have a total maintainance plan for around 10k for 2yrs/1lac kms which covers each and everything including your routine services also. So you basically pay for the fuel cost only.

IMHO it makes sense considering ford's reputation for having expensive maintainance for their vehicles.
Total maintenance is good. But are they offering an extended warranty (3&4 yr) on parts like the fuel pump, power steering rack, suspension etc. Because if they are not, I will not touch this car even from a distance. I have learnt it the hard way with my Flair.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote