Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th November 2008, 12:58   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavthebiker View Post
Hi Guys,
i love driving and sunny days spent behind the wheel flooring the pedal on highways are the happiest!

2> in terms of time my driving is mostly in-cityheavy traffic tho not much in terms of mileage say 400km tops . highway drives of another 300 or so per month . does the diesel version at 75k more (4.9 otr delhi vs 5.7) make any sense ? fuel bill saving ainít that much as compared to inital extra!
3> currently own a Santro Xing and am looking to upgrade to a more spirited performer in the 5L range, is this machine the best bet or do u reccomend something else ? is it worth waiting for the 1.6 petrol which i read is to be launched again in mid í09 ?
4> i'm a biker who's a speed freak and sluggish movers are an instant turn off! any pointers on the top speed the 1.3 petrol can attain ? (the times iíve floored it on my fatherís 1.3 nxt 140km/hr happened comfortably but then the acceleration rate seemed to drop and i just ran out of road within the city!

Any inputs on my situation would help .

Thanks Guys
If you need a spirited performer, look at Fusion 1.6 petrol. I Own an Ikon Flair (chrome grilled one ;-)). I can tell you from my experience that 1.3 engine is little sluggish when accelarting beyond 110kmph.

Though Fusion is costly(5.8 ex showroom) than Ikon, its worth if you are looking for the drivig pleasure.

Cheers!
Vaspro
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 13:30   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Though Fusion is costly(5.8 ex showroom) than Ikon, its worth if you are looking for the drivig pleasure.
Our member gemithomas mentions the Fusion being not to planted at high speeds. Also, spares would cost a lot more than that of the Ikon. I dont know if that is a right choice between the two.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 16:38   #108
BHPian

Today got chance to look and drive new tdci ikon.The car looks good in red colour overall looks are above expectations.Interiors are ok but the drive was not great nither the engine smoothness gear lever felt vibrating.The cars engine not feels like we are driving fiesta TDCI engine.Fiest felt much smooth compared to this car and the noice insulation is also good in fiesta.But it is an unbeatable package @5.77 lacs OTR.
vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 16:46   #109

*** cost is a issue if the car requires repair frequently. Besides the regular services how many times in 5 years do you need to take a ford fiesta / ikon to the workshop . Maybe none at 10 k / year running or maybe 2-3 times . How much do you think would be the differential in service cost compared to Maruti ? Max 2 k . Is it a big deal for a 5-8 lakh car over a period of 5 years ?
ajay sarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 20:33   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Ready for deliveries, but the dealers dont have sufficient information - or so it looks like. Sunday, when I took the TD, I tried to ask the sales person about the extended wty. He gives me some gen lines, but nothing specific about what all it covers (or better, what it does not cover), if it is add on to the std wty, or if it is avlbl for 1 or 2 addnl years.

Btw, art leather covers from Ford are 9K ! Double of what's avlbl outside.

And wonder what does a person do if he wants to upgrade his tyres ? The company says that they dont advise alloys for new cars. Can you believe that ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 21:14   #111
Team-BHP Support

Condor, the salesmen are ill-informed about these things when it comes to alloys and so on, including tyres. Try and get hold of some service advisor, and you would get more logical and reasonable replies.

As for the Extended Warranty, whats there to be so secretive? I seriously dont understand!
Old 19th November 2008, 21:32   #112
BHPian

Extended Warranty: Now that they have a price, they should also have a document with terms and conditions. Why can’t they just share the document or explain what it says in terms of coverage.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 19:53   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear wheel, rear mud-flap & half a mud-guard:
Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-rearmudflap.jpg

There's almost 2 cm clearance between the tyre & the rear shock absorber. Definite space for upto an 185 - even a 195 !
Ford Ikon TDCi Test Drive Report-rearwheelclearance.jpg

Quote:
condor : Btw, art leather covers from Ford are 9K ! Double of what's avlbl outside.
Finally got a list of accessories from the dealer. There are two possible listings for seat covers, both for 5490 each. ("FULVYNLBISQUEIKO" & "FULVYNLBISQUEIKO BLK-BIS").

The list for a Fiesta has two entries at 10490 each, says "LEATHER VYNYL EXI CAMEL INT" & "LTHR VIN EXI CML 2", and another listing for 11990 "SEAT COVER LEATHER VYNYL"

Any clues, any one ?

Last edited by condor : 20th November 2008 at 20:10.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:09   #114
Team-BHP Support

Condor, take a look at Audiophile's gallery to see how good an upsized wheel would look. Awesome set of wheels he has on his car. Good job on the B pillar as well.
Old 21st November 2008, 06:30   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? They have put the same Fiesta engine on a lighter (I guess less sturdy also) chassis. Good part is it gives better power to weight, but the cons could be issues like this. Will this turn to a rattle box like the Swift in some time?
Don't forget this chassis had the 1.8 diesel earlier, and there were no issues of rattles or vibrations with that vehicle.
It's a question of proper mountings and tight assembly procedures.
Properly done, there should be no issues, but if Ford is cutting corners....!
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 10:28   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Btw, art leather covers from Ford are 9K ! Double of what's avlbl outside.
Quote:
The rear wheel, rear mud-flap & half a mud-guard:
Attachment 72347

There's almost 2 cm clearance between the tyre & the rear shock absorber. Definite space for upto an 185 - even a 195 !
Attachment 72348

Finally got a list of accessories from the dealer. There are two possible listings for seat covers, both for 5490 each. ("FULVYNLBISQUEIKO" & "FULVYNLBISQUEIKO BLK-BIS").

The list for a Fiesta has two entries at 10490 each, says "LEATHER VYNYL EXI CAMEL INT" & "LTHR VIN EXI CML 2", and another listing for 11990 "SEAT COVER LEATHER VYNYL"

Any clues, any one ?

Are these available as dealer optiion or as factory fitted option. I remember checking out flair last year, they had leather seating option with facotry fit from Ford. Though the dealer claimmed them to be genuine leather but i didn't buy his word as they were for less thwn 10 K.

I even remember, when my frined had purchased his ikon in 2003-04, he had got his seats done from the dealer for 7.5K. Ironically the dealer claimed them to be genuine @ 7.5 K, which was highly impossible. But i wouldn't have mind it for at that price, even if they were art leather as the fitting was really amazing. And there are rare guys in mumbai who do art leather with such a great fitting. (please help if you know some in mumbai)

By the way, that was a nice study for the wheel upgrades.
akshladha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 10:54   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
benbsb29 : take a look at Audiophile's gallery to see how good an upsized wheel would look. Awesome set of wheels he has on his car. Good job on the B pillar as well.
Benny, yes - Audiophile's done it up very well - alloys, tyres, the B-pillar .. and the spoiler.

Quote:
akshladha : Are these available as dealer optiion or as factory fitted option.
By the way, that was a nice study for the wheel upgrades.
Thanks, @Aksh. Reg the seat covers / accessories, they appear to be the dealer options. Not mention of the factory anywhere. I dont think Ford is providing that as an option.
Old 21st November 2008, 10:58   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, @Aksh. Reg the seat covers / accessories, they appear to be the dealer options. Not mention of the factory anywhere. I dont think Ford is providing that as an option.
They may be available at the dealer, but they have Ford inscribed on them, and the same set of seat covers are available across all the Ford dealers. I think they may be provided from the company itself as an accessory, and not dealer specific.

Condor, we shall meet over the weekend, and you can check the fitting on my car, as well as the execution of work. cheers:
Old 21st November 2008, 11:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
They may be available at the dealer, but they have Ford inscribed on them, and the same set of seat covers are available across all the Ford dealers. I think they may be provided from the company itself as an accessory, and not dealer specific.

Condor, we shall meet over the weekend, and you can check the fitting on my car, as well as the execution of work. cheers:
Are the ones in your car done by the dealer, or done post delivery? Are there pictures available on Team-bhp of your seat covers? did check out your car pics. Nice color.

I must say i still miss the chrome grill compared to the new facelift. I wish they had not done the face lift and just simply introduced the diesel variant!
akshladha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 11:42   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshladha View Post
Are the ones in your car done by the dealer, or done post delivery? Are there pictures available on Team-bhp of your seat covers? did check out your car pics. Nice color.
Thanks for the compliment about the color. I had opted for the Blast Pack for the Ikon from the dealer, which was at Rs.20,000/-. It included the following :
*leather vinyl seat covers,
*Autocop Cobra remote locking and anti-theft,
*Antenna,
*Kenwood MP3 player and speakers.

As for a pic, unfortunately, i dont have a better pic with me right now. Here is how it looks like, although the subject of this pic was supposed to be the crack on the windscreen. If you are really interested, i can take and post some better snaps over the weekend.

Name:  DSC01061.JPG
Views: 1462
Size:  54.1 KB

EDIT :

Quote:
I guess you should be able to find someone with whom you can swap the bonnet & the front bumper !
What about the bonnet then?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st November 2008 at 11:54. Reason: Reply to Condor's post below