Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd December 2008, 11:10   #16
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Wats is best way to drive the vista TDi in the city?
1) For fuel effiency.
2) For driving pleasure.

I ve been driving it at around 1000 to 1500 rpm in the city so far doing the following gear changes:

0- 15 1st gear
15- 25 2nd gear
25 - 45 3rd gear
45 - 60 4th gear
Never crossed 60 so far.

Could you guys please suggest if the above gearing would get me the maximum fuel efficiency?

Thanks,
Nitin
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:15   #17
BHPian

your speeds for each gear seems ok, but i think you can move from 1st to 2nd gear earlier, say, after 5kmph.

you can do the following to find the ideal minimum speeds for each gear:

Slot the car (with A/C running) into the selected gear and let go all the pedals. the car would now move on its own accord at a fixed speed for each gear. This is the minimum speed for that gear.

it wouldnt slow down except when you press the brakes, but doing so will make the car lug and you have to downshift/get to neutral at once.

this minimum speed would typically work best for the first 3 gears.

the minimum speed for each gear would also be the max speed for the earlier gear, so keep that as a benchmark for upshifting.

for example in the quadrajet the minimum speed for 2nd gear is 5kmph. thats the speed i upshift from 1st gear. similarly the minimum speed for 3rd gear is around 18-20kmph, so i upshift to 3rd from 2nd at that speed.
i upshift to for fourth and fifth at 40-45 and 60kmph respectively.

this formula is giving me good FE because for sedate driving, gear shifting (and clutching) is reduced and I can use engine braking to good effect.

For all the above I use the RPM as the benchmark instead of speed. so it results in sticking to min max range of 1000rpm and 2000-2200 rpm for me.

the same thing is also giving me pleasure because my definition of "driving pleasure" is effortless driving in traffic will less work for my left foot! also called the "torque effect"

if your definition of pleasure is ripping then you can change your gear shift pattern accordingly, but remember Vista is not made for zipping thru traffic and cornering at high speeds.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 23rd December 2008 at 12:21.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:41   #18
BANNED

Take it up to at least 2000 rpm in each gear before shifting up, whether in running in or after.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
Hi Guys,

Wats is best way to drive the vista TDi in the city?
1) For fuel effiency.
2) For driving pleasure.

I ve been driving it ......
You can find a solution on your windscreen. Look for a sticker on driver side top corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
....you can move from 1st to 2nd gear earlier, say, after 5kmph.
That's fine in Qjet or Dicor, but not in TDi. It has less torque to pull forward effortlessly from that speed in second gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Take it up to at least 2000 rpm in each gear before shifting up, whether in running in or after.
I'm doubtful on this.
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

while running in, DO NOT go beyond 2k, heck, 1.8k even

the car has two regular modes -
the almost NA mode from idle~850 RPM to 1.6k rpm
the turbo kicks in mode from 1.7k to 3000Rpm - this part is the most fun
the pointless part where the torque begins to fall off - above 3000 Rpm - go there only if you loose boost , and want it back ASAP
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations revhappy! Enjoy your ride. Great choice of colour!
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 09:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

congrats my friend! nice color choice...please post some more pics
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 11:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I got my Indica Vista TDI Aqua - solar orange colour yesterday.
(Pics below)

Frankly I like started liking the diesel sound and best thing about this car is the commanding seat position.

Combining this commanding seat position and the diesel noise, I felt like I was in a jeep ! ( I always wanted to have a jeep).
Wow, wowe wowee,

Many many congratulations. I too had a crush on this color but I made a mistake of taking my wife for the booking. Red has been here eternal favourite. I have booked the sister version of urs- the QJD. I was supposed to get the dely. on 29th but to my pleasant surprise, I have just got a call from the dealer and he says he will be delivering the car on 27th itself. Boy oh boy, I just cant wait to get my car.

One question! Dont u have height adjustable seat in ur aqua?
kunal2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2008, 15:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal2202 View Post
Wow, wowe wowee,

Many many congratulations. I too had a crush on this color but I made a mistake of taking my wife for the booking. Red has been here eternal favourite. I have booked the sister version of urs- the QJD. I was supposed to get the dely. on 29th but to my pleasant surprise, I have just got a call from the dealer and he says he will be delivering the car on 27th itself. Boy oh boy, I just cant wait to get my car.

One question! Dont u have height adjustable seat in ur aqua?
Congrats for your QJD !!!
Ever since I had seen a picture of an orange colour hummer, orange has been my favorite colour. I like the new swift orange colour, the Vista's solar orange is ok in the daytime, but in the night it looks a little dull.

No, the Aqua doesnt have height adjustable seat, but it does have tilt adjustable steering.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
congrats revhappy on this nice buy!!
i thought vista is available only with the quadrajet engine.
anyways enjoy your ride and drive safe!!

and whats the lock like thing in the 4th pic next to the tail lamp?
@white_vdi: The lock like thing is a metal box that has a small black button that gets pressed when the hatchback is closed. I think it is a sensor to indicate that the hatchback is open
Old 27th December 2008, 11:12   #26
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have completed about 300 kms on the vista TDi so far.
To give a brief review about my experience so far with it:

Its drivability in the city is good. Although in the 1st gear and 2nd gear you need to push the accelerator a bit for it to gain speed. But once it crosses speed of 25 then gear changing and acceleration is smooth.
Mind you the initial sluggishness is in comparison to my mpfi zen, the zen as everyone knows is a revhappy customer and the more you push the more she encourages you

I had done a tank full after taking the delivery and yesterday I again did a tankfull, and the mileage I got was 16 kmpl with in city driving, never did I get above 60 speed limit and mostly on 3rd or 4th gear. Also with very little usage of AC, about 10% as Bangalore is quite chill these days
Good mileage, I must say for car of this size.

So far I have come across these issues with the car
1) The remote fuel tank openner does work at the 1st go. I need to keep lifting it atleast 4 or 5 times for it to work . I will get this fixed during the 1st service.
2) whenever I suddenly break or accelerate there is a thud kind of sound at the back. This could be because of the dickey mat, The dickey mat has a thin metal rod at the edge, or could be because of the the Jack. The jack has been strapped with a rubber band kind of thing, thats wierd. In the zen the jack would sit nicely inside a metal plate and then you can tighten it and it doesnt move.

I need to check what the cause of the noise is.

Apart from this I am very happy with the vehicle so far.

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 28th December 2008, 16:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
2) whenever I suddenly break or accelerate there is a thud kind of sound at the back. This could be because of the dickey mat, The dickey mat has a thin metal rod at the edge, or could be because of the the Jack. The jack has been strapped with a rubber band kind of thing, thats wierd. In the zen the jack would sit nicely inside a metal plate and then you can tighten it and it doesnt move.
Remove the dicky mat and the jack and do the braking test or remove one of them to isolate the issue!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:01   #28
BHPian

Default Engine Oil Change Frequency

Hi All,

I have question with regards to the engine oil change frequency.
The Vista TDI manual says that the frequency is 10000Kms.
I just downloaded the manual for Indigo TDI and noticed that for the Indigo TDI the change frequency is 7500 KMs.

Now I know that the vista TDI engine is slightly more refined that the Indigo TDi engine, but what change have they made that the engine oil change frequency has been reduced?

Please advise if changing engine oil every 10000 kms wont harm the car like the Vista TDi manual says?

Cheers,
Nitin
Old 30th December 2008, 14:39   #29
BHPian

if the manual claims 10000 kms, it must be right...its upto you whether you want to follow the manual or not.

about the oil change if you want you can get it done at the 1st or 2nd service.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 12:11   #30
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have completed 950 kms on the odo and will be giving the car for 1st servicing this saturday at concorde motors nr christ college.
The FE I got for 2nd tank full was about 15.75 Kms/Lt.

So far I have come across the following issues that I would get fixed during the servicing
1)Remote fuel lid doesnt work at the 1st go.
2)A thud sound comes when I break hard. I checked to see if this is due to the jack or any object in the dickey. Unfortunately it is not
Its comes somewhere from inside the rear side and sometime I hear 2 or 3 thud sounds when I break hard as if something like a pendulum is hanging and hitting it twice or thrice. I will get this fixed during servicing.
3)I noticed a new issue. When the car was new, I noticed that in the night with the lights on there is small white LED that glows on the power window switches. Now they dont glow on the drivers side but they glow on the co-drivers side. This is a minor issue and I am wondering whether I should ask them to fix it because, for a new car I dont want them to open the door plastic and cause some new issue like rattling or something. What do you guys suggest?

Cheers,
Nitin