Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th December 2008, 12:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Diki - the dealer / service center is right in their approach, AFAICT. Accept their diagnosis for the time being. But please go through the "what to do if you get a lemon" thread here, and maintain proper documentation of every problem / visit to the service station.

I guess the car is imported, right? In all probabilties, there could be condensation during transist. Give them the benefit of doubt.

Also, do not leave the fuel tank empty for long - moisture would tend to condense in it.

Wish you a happy new [c|ye]ar!!!
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:35   #32
Team-BHP Support

Phew. That's good to hear diki. They will probably dry out the sensor and try it back on. If it is fine after the trial then your all set. If the moisture content was more they will probably replace the sensor. If they replace the sensor you should be getting a bill mentioning the part replaced. The amount will be Rs. 0/- since it's under warranty.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

Do insist on written records of this problem and their subsequent diagnosis and action.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Phew. That's good to hear diki. They will probably dry out the sensor and try it back on. If it is fine after the trial then your all set. If the moisture content was more they will probably replace the sensor. If they replace the sensor you should be getting a bill mentioning the part replaced. The amount will be Rs. 0/- since it's under warranty.
Thanks Vid, so if they dont replace the sensor or any other part, then it is okay to not have any kind of a record or a report, right?
diki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diki24 View Post
...lso they have denied giving any report for such thing and said no dealer/manufatcurer does that. Is that a normal/acceptable trend?? ...
This is a standard practise. No dealer will give you such a report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
... But please go through the "what to do if you get a lemon" thread here, and maintain proper documentation of every problem / visit to the service station...
BCD, now why do you want to scare the dungsville of this fellow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
...Also, do not leave the fuel tank empty for long - moisture would tend to condense in it...
Good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
... The amount will be Rs. 0/- since it's under warranty.
True. If part is changed, you should get the document for that. No other way to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Do insist on written records of this problem and their subsequent diagnosis and action.
If he has made a job card for the vehicle movement inward, then I believe this can be done. If not, hard luck.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 14:44   #36
BHPian

The similler problem was reported by a Audi owner, when it was launched initially. I think, these imported car's electricals are not being tested for Indian weather condition.
pawan_pullarwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:02   #37
BHPian

Guys, I got my car back. there was a job card generated from their system. which says they have just cleant the Sensor. So in all, nothing serious and i am all happy again. He also said this is one off case and he hasnt seen anything similar in his stint at BMW.

So i guess this thread can be rested and Inscription changed to "7 Days old BMW 320i- Sensor issue: solved"
Sincerely thank everyone in helping me keeping my #*lls intact and breathing.

I am itching to write a complete review of my first 10 days and 700Kms with the car. Will do so soon.

Meanwhile Happy motoring into 2009 to everyone.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

Glad to hear that the issue is sorted out, these new aged cars are really a pain with their complicated sensors and electronics, but good thing is the 'limp mode' which will help you reach your destination without major damage to car or the occupants.

In your case it can be as silly as moisture condensation after pressure wash before delivery? Just guessing. Understand which sensor was this, as in which was cleaned and put back, if so where it is sitting (exposed or not).

Looking forward to your detailed review with pics and wishing you a great journey ahead with the beemer!!

ps: while filling up always use major cities/towns and feel free to stop and check with a local car owner for a good filling station. There is no dearth of good filling stations inside small towns, its just the matter of stopping and checking. On the other hand, avoid pumps on Highway, unless they are company owned and operated and is in a respectable shape. Older shaby pumps, pumps located at low areas can be notorious for water in fuel, more than other adulteration.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th December 2008 at 18:35.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:52   #39
Team-BHP Support

Agree with Jaggu. On highways always look out for COCO fuel pumps. COCO = Company Owned Company Operated. There are a couple on the way back from Tirupati. I had a tough time finding one and almost ran dry.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:56   #40
BHPian

Hey thats great news, now as said by many here avoid Highways Fuel Pumps and whenever you refuel make it a point it is only you who takes the car and no one else.
madhokritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 23:34   #41
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

My question is that if its moisture will it just be wiping or cleaning the the area around the sensor or replacing it? a
lso they have denied giving any report for such thing and said no dealer/manufatcurer does that. Is that a normal/acceptable trend??
He didn't mention anything about the fuel quality and rather said it can be due to random reasons.
If the service centre makes you sign a copy of anything being replaced or done then you have the right the have a copy of every document that you sign. To be on the safe side I do not think they will ask you to sign anywhere pertaining to the problem. I presume they have cleaned the sensor and not replaced it and will change it only the next time this happens which is highly unlikely if you use good fuel which you are bound too.
All present day European cars are high on maintenance and you have to live with it. The last unbreakable car that came out from Europe was I faintly remember being the E class diesel MERC with the rectangular headlamps. I have poor memory so take this with a pinch of salt. My collegue at the hospital owned the old version and now owns the newest version and he says the build quality of the new merc is miles behind the old W124 he had. Infact he says there is no sembelence between the two except for the badging in the front. To this day he regrets selling the old one and paying a handsome sum for the new one.
In your case the mechanicals will last you a long long time but the electronics are going to give up the ghost sooner than you think. I hope the sensor malfunction was a one off. Anyways sell the car after you milk the depreciation benefit of the car.

Mercedes-Benz W124 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 00:38   #42
BHPian

Default VAG COM interface

I got one of these recently due to some sensor issues. The audi dealer here takes 100$ to give you the diagnostics for an MIL light. This will allow you to read and reset all the fault codes on all the control modules. You can even go advanced and register the ross-tech software to get more features like testing a particular sensor or component like a cat.
16v100bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 05:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
As some of you might know that i recently got the 320i. On Thursday ie 26th Dec i decided to take it to Tirupati from Bangalore.
On our way back (10:00 PM), a strange Yellow warning symbol started blinking on the Trip screen (at intervals of 10 minutes, which then reduced and became every 2 minutes).
Was your car in limp mode? Limp mode restricts the car to a top speed of about 20 mph/30 kmph and would not shift the tranny to higher gears. If you were able to drive the car at regular speeds inspite of the warning symbol (I am assuming you got a yellow triangle with an exclamation in it), it is not a critical warning and since the dealer already fixed it, nothing to worry. The yellow triangle shows up for anything and everything... from low air to low fuel.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 11:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Was your car in limp mode? Limp mode restricts the car to a top speed of about 20 mph/30 kmph and would not shift the tranny to higher gears. If you were able to drive the car at regular speeds inspite of the warning symbol (I am assuming you got a yellow triangle with an exclamation in it), it is not a critical warning and since the dealer already fixed it, nothing to worry. The yellow triangle shows up for anything and everything... from low air to low fuel.
Yeah good point, actually there was just that warning symbol along with a Gong. It wasnt a triangle, but a symbol of Engine. I didnt recognise it from the symbol though. I came to know only on looking up the manual. Manual said full power of the car might not be available. Advisable to drive at modest speeds.
There wasn't any restriction from the tranny though. it drove normally and i kept driving at around 80, thinking that would be modest.

BMW folks say that Fuel is generally not a problem now, since they have tuned the engine to meet indian conditions and unless the fuel is so bad to a point that it isnt a fuel at all, then there might be problem otherwise not to worry too much. Engine/system is robust enough to take care of itself under most conditions.
Old 31st December 2008, 12:39   #45
BHPian

Guys, i have posted my complete review so far, here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-included.html (BMW 320i: First 10 days/700 Kms Review- Pics included)

Also included are, better daytime pics