Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd January 2009, 11:01   #1
BHPian

Default Toyota Corolla ALTIS AT

Hi Guys,
I was looking for new car for last couple of years. After driving cars in US, I wanted to have a nice automatic car. core points were,
1. ABS + AirBags - no compromise.
2. AT - no compromise.
3. ACC
4. Good comfort like any car in US.
I had limited choice, Santro AT, Optra AT, Corolla AT, Civic AT, City AT.
By the time I decide, I heard i10 AT coming, so I drop Santro AT. City & Santro AT was not having enough power and then ABS + airbags. Optra AT left Indian market. I10 AT was too small.Finally I landed with New City, Civic, Corolla.
New city, I drove and liked it but did not like service of dealer. Also car was not much VFM as price was around 10 lac + without ACC. I had last 2 options, Civic or Corolla. I done extensive search on both cars, read lot of reviews on this forum. Finally decided make a call last Dec.
Took back to back TD for both. In first TD itself, I loved the Corolla Altis.
The fully loaded Corolla Altis AT was just fantastic. The sales team at dealership DSK Toyota was very polite, they provided all data to compare it against Civic and other cars.
The interior, the comfort, ACC, features like cruise control are great. The car looks really great. I done three test drives one with family, one with sales guy, one with my friends. DSK offered free insurance.
I got delivery yesterday. I put on reverse sensor with camera, reading light at rear.
Reviews from Vasudev really helped. I will definately recomand DSK toyota dealership. They given very good service and even prepared for pooja, given pick up.
I am thinking to put V-cool on front wind screen and Garware on sides. Please advice.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 2nd January 2009 at 11:05.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats & same pinch ! I'm expecting delivery next week too.
What discounts or freebies did they offer you?
Are you planning on upsizing the tyres or rims?

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd January 2009 at 11:08.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:09   #3
BHPian

Thanks.
They offered free discount of 40 K + mats. They almost sold all 2k8 models. They have option of laptop in new year, now but then free insurance is gone. OTR in PMC limits after free insurance is 13.70.
mrkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:12   #4
BHPian

I agree, I td'd the Altis auto sometime back and really liked it,

just that they have put only one D there are no D-1, D-2 and D-3

however the best part is that it has triptronic manual as well (though I doubt that one would ever need it) as the auto itself carries lot of punch..
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:26   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! Looks like you were looking at practicality + convenience...really can't get better than the Altis AT on that. How about some pictures of your new ride?

Quote:
New city, I drove and liked it but did not like service of dealer.
So typical of Honda. I wonder when they will learn.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for your new Altis AT, the most "sensible" and "practical" car in that segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
I am thinking to put V-cool on front wind screen and Garware on sides. Please advice.
IMO, V-Cool is best film for the windshield.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new buy!

Is this going to driven by you or are you going to be driven around?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:20   #8
BHPian

Congrats it's a great buy! I test drove the AT altis some time back, was simply blown away by the plushness of interiors and the ICE features in the car. IMO, none of the cars in that segment can match the interiors with the Altis.
That's the car I would like to upgrade to in another 2/2.5 years, though Civic (White Sports var) and Laura (Ambiente black) would definitely be debated hotly at home!
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Civic's interiors are way better than the Altis IMHO. There is nothing like that dashboard. But I don't want another debate of Civic v. Altis.

Also, the sports variant is a big waste of money. Take the now-discontinued S, add in a lot of useless aerodynamics and you have the Sports. Buy a V instead.

'gratz on the new car. I've installed V-Kool all over in my car and its definitely worth it.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 2nd January 2009 at 17:08.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:57   #10
BHPian

congrats mrkanitkar on that super buy!!
i have always wanted an automatic car and this auto gearbox seems to be really nice. post some pics both of interior and exterior.
cheers and drive safe!
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. Altis sure is the best car available in this segment as off now. Now that you have it at home you will love it more as you drive it and come across its real impressive charectors. The car has the ability to grow on you.

What color you bought? Keep us updated with any more addition you do to it and sure we would love to see photos.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 19:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase buddy.
Waiting for pics and initial running reports ( long term too )

What was the on road price?
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Is the Altis a 4 speed or 5 speed AT? Keep forgetting that.

Good buy. The Altis is definitely loaded with a whole lot of features and I wish I had the same in my Civic.

Enjoy your car.

I've got V-kool and its really great. Expensive though. i'm not sure about Garware. Get Llumar if you are looking at cost factor.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:28   #14
BHPian

Congrats on such a great purchase.

The A/T in the corolla is a 4 Speed one but seems better than the 5Speed in the Civic.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on a great decision. Toyotas are bullet proof and the AT makes a very practical buy. Very refined too. Do put some pictures of your new car, and keep updating this thread. I am keen to know how the AT performs.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote