Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th February 2009, 14:04   #541
BANNED

Would like to add that these figures must be achieved in 1, 2 or even 3 gear shifts. No sane person does it in single gear - as seen the specs shared above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
xPK - if you really want to judge performance, look at the following.
quarter mile, 0-100 for outright performance
20-80, 40-100 for city drivability
80-0,100-0 for braking.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 15:36   #542
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But, let us go by your TD report itself. In your first post on this thread, you say "Linea has decent performance. Loved the 3rd gear performance though". This sort of syncs with the comment of other guys who found the 1st 2 gears useless, which is not really an indicative of good power. Esp. in city traffic.

Now, when kerb weight comes into the picture, you use that data to say it is not underpowered. Maybe you should come to a conclusion yourself first.
Hmmmmm.
Yes, I did mention that in my post, but just below that, I also mentioned "Linea was the only diesel sedan I TDed" (should have said test driven). So at that time, I compared the performance of Linea MJD with Fiesta(petrol) and SX4. (which is unfair and it is something that generally many people are doing on TBHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And anyway, I am more of an FE guy than power guy. So, my reason for asking you to add kerb weight to the equation was not for you to re-evaluate your opinion on Linea's power, but about the FE you suggested -double digit FE for petrol. From a car weighing 1300kgs ? Yeah, sure.
Sorry for misunderstanding your query. Yes, kerb weight has quite an effect on FE.
I guess you will agree if I say, FE is directly proportional kerb weight and inversely proportional to power.

Don't worry I won't be throwing some more calculations now.

But I would still expect Linea petrol to give 10 kmpl. Why????
Because I'm guessing FIAT doesn't want to compromise on FE for petrol engine this time. May be that is why Linea petrol comes with 1.4L, 90PS engine (where they have compromised on power). That could be the only logical reason behind 90PS engine.

Indeed I'm not some expert to quote exact FE, but that would be my guess. For actual figures, Linea users' word should be taken. (for which I guess we have to wait a little while)

If it doesn't show the numbers in double digit, then it might be very difficult for Linea to impress FE guys like you (I'm not completely non-FE guy as well ).
xPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 15:51   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Black Fiat Linea.

With black tints its gonna be drool.
that's probably the best looking sub 10L Sedan we have in India now . Black looks deadly on the Linea
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 16:40   #544
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Once again 15 seconds for a petrol for 0-100 is slow. Most petrol Sedans will do it <13 seconds. Lets accept that and move on. But if you find the performance to be fine, nothing else matters - go get it.
I never said petrol engine is faster than other cars in segment. It is an average engine. Linea petrol is definitely not a "performer", but a "cruiser".

I always wanted to have a "performer" like vtec. I always wanted to be the first one to set off when signal turns green. I could achive this many times in my Wagon R as well. 0-100 number is something which also depends on driver (now don't take out some meaning like one can make linea go in 9 seconds)

What point I'm trying to make is, I was in dilemma for quite a long between SX4 and Fiesta (yes, I couldn't ignore 0-100 number).

Driving in SX4 or Fiesta(petrol) was more fun but driving Linea was more pleasure. (which made me lean towards Linea)

I still can't believe how my priority is changed.

Coming back to the topic, you can say Linea petrol is slow, but NHC(non vtec) does the same in 14-15.6, are they considered slow??? Even for OHC 1.3 and 1.5 (again non-vtec), I don't think they used clock under 15 seconds (please correct me if I'm wrong), were they slow as well???
If yes, then slow is the right word for Linea petrol than calling it as an average. (I won't mind taking my words back then)
Old 27th February 2009, 17:26   #545
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Black looks deadly on the Linea
Absolutely! Does anybody see any resemblance with Maserati Gran Sport?

Name:  maser.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  23.3 KB
Old 27th February 2009, 17:48   #546
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Coming back to the topic, you can say Linea petrol is slow, but NHC(non vtec) does the same in 14-15.6, are they considered slow??? Even for OHC 1.3 and 1.5 (again non-vtec), I don't think they used clock under 15 seconds (please correct me if I'm wrong), were they slow as well???
If yes, then slow is the right word for Linea petrol than calling it as an average. (I won't mind taking my words back then)
What I'm doing is suicidal, I'm already wanted by the Fiat mafia for calling the Linea slow, Now, I'm going to take on the Honda Yakuza.

The NHC non Vtec is slow,so is the 1.3 OHC. Not sure about the 1.5 non vtec OHC(forgot the numbers for that one), but I used to drive one of those when I was abroad, and that was slow too.

I'm changing my name and moving back abroad now, thank you.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 17:54   #547
BANNED

Quote:
Absolutely! Does anybody see any resemblance with Maserati Gran Sport?
The Linea looks much better. How can a Maserati look better than a FIAT?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 18:19   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The Linea looks much better. How can a Maserati look better than a FIAT?
Hmm, The Maser may look better because it is owned by Fiat afterall
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 19:40   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
..Now, I'm going to take on the Honda Yakuza....
The NHC non Vtec is slow,so is the 1.3 OHC.
hmm... have you ever been diagnosed of obsessive suicidal and compulsive risk taking tendencies?. You better sign out and shut down your PC before Diabloo et al are here.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 27th February 2009 at 19:46.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:04   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NHC nonVtec could do it in ~13.11s. Thats as per ACI. I don't have the figures for OHC, but should be better.
Forget Honda, a Tata Indigo 85 bhp petrol can do it in 14.01s, again as per ACI. refinement is a different story though.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:33   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Oops sorry for missing that. (Well.... you can clearly see I cannot make a good statistician )

But as you have mentioned, let's consider kerb weight also.

Let's see the kerb weights of all other cars,

Cars Kerb weight (in tonnes)
Fiesta 1.150
Logan 1.140
Lancer 1.150
Indigo XL 1.165
Linea 1.291

My oh my. I new Linea was heavier, but never new that much heavier. It should definitely affect the performance and FE. No doubt about that.

So let's consider weight as well and try to find out PWI (Power per Weight Index) by normalizing weights of all cars to 1 tonne.

Cars Power (PS) Kerb weight (in tonnes) PWI (PS/weight)
Fiesta 68 1.150 59.13
Verna 110 - -
Logan 65 1.140 57.02
Lancer 68 1.150 62.10
Indigo XL 70 1.165 60.10
Linea 86 1.291 66.62

So I don't think Linea is that underpowered.

NOTE: I couldn't get exact weight for Verna (but do we need those? There is no doubt that it tops the list)

NOTE: These figures are for Diesel and not for Petrol engine. As I already said (or meant) petrol engine is not impressive when compared with SX4 and Fiesta, so haven't compared petrols.
Well.. I think going just by the tonnage of the car is irrelevant. For eg. The palio weighs around a ton and 40 kgs, but for me, it still returns a mileage of over 13.. and mind you this is consistently over 5 years of driving and very detailed record keeping. the average mileage achieved so far is 13.25 to be very precise.

The point that I am trying to make is that, while tonnage is essential, the key to engine performance is (I forget the term.... I guess the bore/stroke)... Well in lay man terms... there is this wheel attached to the engine, which is connected to the wheel base that directly aids the acceleration. In Hyundai vehicles, this wheel is lighter leading to higher acceleration, but the engine requires more efforts to keep the wheel spinning at higher speeds, and that is why sustained speeds are difficult.

On the other hand, in fiat engines, this wheel is a heavier one. This is the reason why the initial pickup requires quite some effort, but once the car is in the higher gears, because of the momentum generated by the heavier wheel the engine requires very little effort to accelerate, resulting in better mileage at higher speeds..

Thus, worry not, I am sure the petrol linea will easily provide 11+ mileage easily.
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 23:27   #552
BHPian

Default Refined smooth diesel car indeed

Test drove the new Fiat Linea,amazingly soundless cabin and smooth gearbox with great refinement as compared to my raw Palio MJD with cabin noise and rough hard gear change however felt grossly underpowered when compared to my Palio which runs like a rocket in 2nd and 3rd gear
amarprusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 23:50   #553
BANNED

NHC IDSI is a vastly an underrated car. People are deceived by its 77BHP figure. But what they forget is that its 1.5L amazing engine produced 125Nm torque @2700 rpm and made it a pleasure to drive the car.
What matters is power delivery at wheels and this where NHC scored. Since it was tuned for comfort, even when it was doing the speeds, people never felt it. Hence they incorrectly conclude as slow.
Quote:
Coming back to the topic, you can say Linea petrol is slow, but NHC(non vtec) does the same in 14-15.6, are they considered slow???
Thats more like it.
Quote:
NHC nonVtec could do it in ~13.11s.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 00:13   #554
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I always presumed the Linea was underpowered. Thanks xPK, An-and, ripper and all of the others for clarifying some things. Maybe I should go and TD the damn car after all.

Unfortunately, though I know they are related, I cannot see the resemblance to the Maserati. To my eye, the only thing that is 'Maserati' in the Linea is the grill. Oh, and the Linea does not resemble any of its other cousins - the Ferraris either.

@ rippergeo - hang in there, reinforcements are on their way!

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 12:41   #555
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Thus, worry not, I am sure the petrol linea will easily provide 11+ mileage easily.
I'm hoping the same.
Personally I'm fine by 10 also. (Well these all figures may matter everybody differently)