Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd March 2009, 15:02   #571
Senior - BHPian

Default xPK - Do you play the stock market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
I think, now we will be seeing some comments like "It's just a one Linea now, ACI should confirm the same".
How right you were! If you can predict the stock market so accurately, you would be a billionaire soon.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:03   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I did not have time to go through the 4 pages of that thread - it would have helped if you had posted the link to the pertinent post and not that of the full thread. Anyway, it does not clarify FE issues, yet. Read on for why not.

Well, you should hold on before popping the champagne. From what I read in 'Ntranced's thread, he is quoting the FE figure as displayed on the display, which anyone knows is not the same as what you get by the more reliable method of fullTank-to-fullTank.

If we were to go by the FE figures from the display, then we have Octavias here that return 30kmpl+ in city. Would you believe that ? I don't.

So, while we don't need ACI or TRAI to confirm FE figures, we need actual user FE figures, not what is read off from the display. And believe me, it is only a matter of time before these come pouring in. Then we can conclude whether your analysis is right or not. Till then...
Well heres the link and if you read carefully it tells you the actual method of calculation(tank full to tank full), simple maths and not the complicated trip meter readings, also this is the average consumption and not instantaneous( i have touched 40km/L in fifth gear cruising at speeds of 45-50). Hope this anwers your query. I am the last person to blow false trumpets, if my corsa gave 7km/L then thats what i wrote now if linea gives me 11+ i wont quote that it gives me lesss than 10.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1191007 (Yet another FIAT LINEA....but its PETROL this time...!!!)
ntranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:55   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntranced View Post
Well heres the link and if you read carefully it tells you the actual method of calculation(tank full to tank full), simple maths and not the complicated trip meter readings, also this is the average consumption and not instantaneous( i have touched 40km/L in fifth gear cruising at speeds of 45-50). Hope this anwers your query. I am the last person to blow false trumpets, if my corsa gave 7km/L then thats what i wrote now if linea gives me 11+ i wont quote that it gives me lesss than 10.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1191007 (Yet another FIAT LINEA....but its PETROL this time...!!!)
LOL Ntranced, I believe you! (But then I am certifiable).

I do not think anyone (in their right mind) goes about claiming those 'current FE' figures shown on the MFD as the FE. My car, for instance often shows 58 or 64 as the current FE when going downhill etc. Several owners have pointed out that the 'trip FE' on the MFD is off by between 1 Kmpl to 10%.

Do you still have your Corsa? I picked up a second-hand 1.6 and it gave me 6 to 7 the first few tankfuls. I worked on it with an independent mechanic and worked it up to 11 eventually - all we did was remove blockages and leaks in the vacuum tubes, clearing the exhaust etc.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:59   #574
BHPian

no mate i sold it off recently before i got this beauty. sold it for 65000 without insurance which saved me another 8k on the insurance.
ntranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:50   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntranced
Well heres the link and if you read carefully it tells you the actual method of calculation(tank full to tank full), simple maths and not the complicated trip meter readings, also this is the average consumption and not instantaneous
Thanks for the link. You need not have taken offense - I did not say that you were fudging figures. If you noticed, I had clearly mentioned in my previous post that I did not have the time to go through 4 pages of posts looking for the FE details which someone mentioned on this thread. So, I scanned through the pages quickly and based my decision on the following :

1) You had put up a snap of the display showing FE as 12.5kmpl in this post. So, I assumed that you are using the display for measuring FE.

2) Your following post mentions the highway FE with 100% a/c and from your words (marked in bold), it clearly sounds like an FE taken from display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntranced
Well guys as promised went to gurgaon tonite. I am simply amazed. guess what my average consumption reads now 13.2km/L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
LOL Ntranced, I believe you!
Given that he has quoted my post, it would be obvious that it is directed to me. Don't see the need for you to jump in with a post that does not add value there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra
I do not think anyone (in their right mind) goes about claiming those 'current FE' figures shown on the MFD as the FE.
It could also mean that you are new here and have not had the opportunity to go through enough posts before making a statement that no one in their right mind would use the MFD to make FE claims. I have seen that right here on tbhp - the part where someone claimed his Octavia returns 30+ kmpl. If you want, you can search around - I don't see the need to point you to it.

BTW, for all those that think a highway FE of 13.2kmpl (this is if we take the FE from the display) is great shakes for a 1.4litre car, then yeah, go ahead and celebrate.

But, the 11kmpl city FE that ntranced got via the tankfull-tankfull method is surely commendable for a car weighing 1.3tonnes and mated with a puny 1.4l motor.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:31   #576
Senior - BHPian

folks - no need to take offense. Linea is one of the best looking, loaded and VFM cars out there. Its a great car - no doubt about it.

Fact remains that i would take ACI/Overdrive data to be reasonably accurate and to be normally on the higher percentile. Personal figures vary due to many factors. The roads you drive,time, traffic, the driving style and much more. Congested cities like Mumabi & Bangalore will always give a lower FE. What SB meant is that its not realistic to expect a 1.3T petrol sedan to give 10+ in city, and i tend to agree with him.

I would be more than happy to be wrong here though. It would be great if this car gives 11-12 in city with ac on.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 3rd March 2009 at 10:32.
SkyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:07   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
What SB meant is that its not realistic to expect a 1.3T petrol sedan to give 10+ in city, and i tend to agree with him.
Would you believe the Linea owners who've quoted actual FE figures or someone who has no clue about Fiat cars?
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:43   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Fact remains that i would take ACI/Overdrive data to be reasonably accurate and to be normally on the higher percentile.
While I do not go by magazine figures, still am curious to know what FE figures were mentioned by ACI / Overdrive for the Linea-P. Do share if you have the figures.

Someone acquires a Fiat 4 years ago and that automatically makes him an authority on not only Fiat, but Ferrari, Masseratti, Alfa Romeo, Carla Bruni, Pizza, the Sicilian mafia and all things Italian.

P.S. : The sad part is that the Fiat in question is neither here nor there. Instead if it had been a Palio1.6, you could cheer him for money well spent on a fast/quick car. But no, all that Fiat experience comes from owning a car which is neither quick, nor fuel efficient.

But then hey, it is a tank. And who cares about the car being quick or FE when the doors close with a 'thud'.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:49   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I do not go by magazine figures, still am curious to know what FE figures were mentioned by ACI / Overdrive for the Linea-P. Do share if you have the figures.
ACI says it is 9.4 for city and 13.4/5 on highways, if I remember correctly.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:59   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Would you believe the Linea owners who've quoted actual FE figures or someone who has no clue about Fiat cars?
Finney, i do have a clue about Fiat cars. I for one get between 10-11 in Bangalore City traffic with 100% ac on on my Palio 1.2. In the winters, with ac off, i get upto 12. Last few highway runs gave me 14-15 kmpl and with four on board and luggage. I must say i am happy with the mileage i get, considering the roads i drive and knowing its a sturdy car.

But i guess if i am in stop and go traffic all the time, it may reduce to maybe 9-10. I tried to avoid peak hours for some peace of mind

But as i said, i would be happy to know if Linea petrol gives about 11 with ac in city. I am not disputing or doubting ntrace's claim - i am just saying it depends on the driving style and traffic situation. I find the traffic in Gurgaon to be much better than Mumbai & Bangalore, based on my experience.

Just to put this in perspective - hellstar says he gets 25 kmpl on highways with his Verna. While i am sure he gets it - i would think not everyone driving a Verna would get it - so i would go with ACI's claim of 17.8 kmpl there.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:16   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
i do have a clue about Fiat cars. I for one get between 10-11 in Bangalore City traffic with 100% ac on on my Palio 1.2. In the winters, with ac off, i get upto 12.
I was not talking about you, I guess you know who it was.....!

Yes, even my Palio 1.2 gives me a mileage of 12-13 kpl (mostly without A/C) in City and 16-18 kpl on Highways.
But our friends here who own a Maruti will not agree, but who cares....!
Anyway, we are going OT here.

Last edited by finneyp : 3rd March 2009 at 12:17.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:20   #582
BHPian

Quote:
P.S. : The sad part is that the Fiat in question is neither here nor there. Instead if it had been a Palio1.6, you could cheer him for money well spent on a fast/quick car. But no, all that Fiat experience comes from owning a car which is neither quick, nor fuel efficient.

But then hey, it is a tank. And who cares about the car being quick or FE when the doors close with a 'thud'.
i wonder did you even test drive or see test drive the car before making such outrageous comments, and questioning the claims of people who already own the cars?

sorry for going OT , but mods please, please , please this thread needs a big clean up.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:23   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
authority on not only Fiat, but Ferrari, Masseratti, Alfa Romeo, Carla Bruni, Pizza, the Sicilian mafia and all things Italian.
SB, i have to disagree here - under the current circumstances, you should leave Carla to Logan owners.

folks - chill. I think we should probably leave this whole FE thing behind. Its dragged out now.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:49   #584
BHPian

Hi every one... i got the delivery of my petrol linea yest. have just driven it for around 75km that too in the city. not crossed 80 km/h speed as yet. I m very happy with the quality of the car.

but the pick up seems a lil less than the car i had test driven on. Can anyone tell me if that too will improve after the first service?

The fe in the electronic meter shows 13.2 as the avg fuel consumption. this might be off by 1-2. got my tank filled yest so will know the actual fuel efficency only after a week. and hopefully it ll come to around 13 after the first service.

the car is no rocket. it performance is avg in terms of pick up. it tends to be much better after crossing 2500rpm. the high gear low speed driveablity is very good.

i m very happy with the control of the car. it takes in the pot holes well. the turning and cornering also feels very safe even at slightly higher speeds.

the acc does it s job very well. and the quality of equipment provided feels good and long lasting.

one thing i have not yet figured out is how to put the head light on high beam without continously pulling on the stick. will have to go through the manual for it. if anyone could thro some light on this.
Machine freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:50   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001
i wonder did you even test drive or see test drive the car before making such outrageous comments, and questioning the claims of people who already own the cars?
Based on what part of my comment you quoted, I am assuming that you took offense to my talking about the Palio1.2. If so, it would help you to go look for threads where actual users have mentioned the FE they are getting. Don't dare me to quote, because I have the info with me, but quoting here would be going OT on a Linea thread.

No one can test drive all the cars in the world or even in India. BTW, if the criteria to make a comment about a car was that one should have owned/used it, then we all would be talking only about our own cars. But we have people talking about Ferraris. Lamborghinis etc which 99% of us don't own. So, let us not make self-experience a criteria. Like some wise guy mentioned, "We should also learn from other's mistakes because we do not have enough time in our life to make all of them ourselves".

Let me be clear here that I never said anywhere that the Linea is bad on FE. Infact if you go back few pages on this thread, I was one of the first to wonder whether equipping the heavy Linea with a small motor is Fiat's plan to avoid repeating their earlier blunder with the Palio ie. losing market share due to low FE. So, I feel that this time around, they do not want FE sob stories to mar a nice car.

And BTW, even 10kmpl with 100% a/c in Bombay/Blore/Chennai is great FE for a 1.3Ton car. Anything more is just a bonus. The whole FE thing started with some analysis someone had done on Linea where he looked at the bhp and proclaimed a certain FE for the Linea. What he overlooked was the extraordinarily high kerb weight. And that applies equally for any car - be it a Fiat or Suzuki. From there, the discussion has reached here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
SB, i have to disagree here - under the current circumstances, you should leave Carla to Logan owners.
Hey, if it's Carla, I don't mind if you club her with Suzuki owners. Who knows maybe she has some Jap connection in the list of 40.