Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st May 2009, 15:47   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Thats whopping huge. Are you joking?. No car can ever give that fuel efficiency on real. May be you have to check manually too sometimes.
I know it sounds a bit too far fetched, but this was the "instantaneous fuel consumption", not the average fuel consumption for the entire trip. Do note that at 11 pm, there was hardly any traffic on the expressway and the climate was pretty pleasant for most of the journey, i.e. till we almost reached Mumbai, which only helped the engine in breathing well.

Even if we feel that the onboard display is not accurate or over enthusiastic, we could reduce the figure to about 20% max. Even then, the fuel efficiency is extraordinary. But I do agree that checking it manually would give the perfect picture.

Nevertheless, it does prove that the Linea Diesel is extremely frugal and can give you an average fuel consumption in the range of 20-22 kmpl or thereabouts.

How much do you get from your car geeash?

Last edited by roms : 21st May 2009 at 15:53.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 16:04   #842
Senior - BHPian

i own a linea petrol emotion pack. i get 11.xxkmpl in city with 100% a/c on. i had got 16.8kmpl on the only highway trip i had gone so far.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 16:21   #843
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I know it sounds a bit too far fetched, but this was the "instantaneous fuel consumption", not the average fuel consumption for the entire trip.
Why are we discussing FE in the disguise of "Instantaneous FE"?
And if Instant FE, then why to quote only 33.xx kmpl? Instant FE is momentory & for that moment only, next moment the FE could reduce to single digit.
My Linea many a times gives me 50.0 kmpl on Instant FE shown on MID, however the overall FE is around 9-10 kmpl in city 100% AC.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 16:57   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
My Linea many a times gives me 50.0 kmpl on Instant FE shown on MID, however the overall FE is around 9-10 kmpl in city 100% AC.
Right, I understand your MID momentarily flashing 50 kmpl in city conditions. However, if it shows roughly 30 kmpl for about 2 hours on the expressway, with a/c off, no or hardly any overtaking and speeds between 50 km/h to 70km/h, even the overall efficiency should be pretty darn good for that particular highway trip.

Last edited by roms : 21st May 2009 at 16:59.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:06   #845
BANNED

Quote:
Right, I understand your MID momentarily flashing 50 kmpl in city conditions. However, if it shows roughly 30 kmpl for about 2 hours on the expressway, with a/c off, no or hardly any overtaking and speeds between 50 km/h to 70km/h, even the overall efficiency should be pretty darn good for that particular highway trip.
Why to assume the overall FE when you've it right there on MID? Instead of Instant FE, why can't we look at FE in MID? It gives precisely what you're assuming - average on all "Instant FE's"
Old 21st May 2009, 17:21   #846
Distinguished - BHPian

Just goes to show how 'reliable' the FE displayed on the panel is. Applies not only to Linea, but other cars also that have this feature on them.

BTW, I know that looks/color are subjective, but the best color I have seen on a Linea is pearl-white or noble-white, whatever that color is called by Fiat.

The Linea just looks gorgeous & stunning in that color. Our office parking lot has one in this color. Compared to this color, Lineas in red, black etc are just pedestrian IMO. Especially the contrast this color creates with light-black tints and against the red rear lights etc.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 17:25   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Why to assume the overall FE when you've it right there on MID? Instead of Instant FE, why can't we look at FE in MID? It gives precisely what you're assuming - average on all "Instant FE's"
I dont own a Linea, the one who did told me about the FE his car was returning for the highway run and I dont really know what his final avergae figure for the whole trip would be. All I can tell you is that the owner wanted to check the max fuel effficiency that his car could give.

If you check back a few posts, I have mentioned my car's FE for the entire trip to Pune and back and how I achieved that. If 18.7 kmpl is possible for the 1.6, I can rightly assume that the Linea Diesel should be way better.

You own a diesel right? Why dont you take a similar execise to check your car's actual Fe on the expressway under similar conditions and enlighten us. I would really be interested to know the results.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:41   #848
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Just goes to show how 'reliable' the FE displayed on the panel is. Applies not only to Linea, but other cars also that have this feature on them.
No, SB - The confusion is He is talking about Instantaneous FE (& believes its final FE) which shows momentary FEs - its kind of "online instant FE for that moment" depending on speed, gas pedal acceleration etc etc & hence changes abruptly every moment. There is another final FE (avg os all "Instant momentary FEs") which is what he should have been talking about. That Final FE on MID is fairly fairly accurate. On my car it shown 9.2 kmpl against a tank-ful to tank-ful FE of 9.0 kmpl

Quote:
Why dont you take a similar execise to check your car's actual Fe on the expressway under similar conditions and enlighten us. I would really be interested to know the results.
Well, after all theses posts, I don't have slightest interest in any arguement on this topic. If your friend wants to believe that his car gives 33 kmpl & be happy, who am I to spoil his party, right?
Peace Out
Old 21st May 2009, 22:56   #849
BHPian

Default new engines

I think the new engines would be 1.6 MJD and 1.4 TJet.
1.4 TJet petrol is available abroad and this is what is probably planned (1.6 might have been a typo).

I am curious, is this 1.4 TJet just same 1.4FIRE+Turbocharger?
If that is the case, can we Linea FIRE owners add the turbo later and get some boost ?
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:10   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Well, after all theses posts, I don't have slightest interest in any arguement on this topic. If your friend wants to believe that his car gives 33 kmpl & be happy, who am I to spoil his party, right?
Peace Out
Just checked out your Linea's thread, and it turns out that you own a Petrol Linea, and not the Multijet that I have been talking about all this while. Should have checked that before replying.

Anyways, peace out bud.
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:14   #851
BHPian

Hope that the Turbo version of the 1.4L engine is launched here soon. The major factor that is keeping a few buyers away is the so called "underpowered" engine that the current petrol version has, but frankly, I feel that it is adequately powered, in fact, it has more than the required amount of power for driving in today's traffic.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:58   #852
BANNED

Quote:
Just checked out your Linea's thread, and it turns out that you own a Petrol Linea, and not the Multijet that I have been talking about all this while. Should have checked that before replying.

Anyways, peace out bud.
Yes, But I've been closely interacting to all MJD Linea owners threads & no one is claiming 33 kmpl FE. In fact now it seems increasingly weird.

On basis of someone else's Car without knowing what is the accurate way of MID showing avg FE & without knowing what is the actual FE Linea-Owners are getting, You've been throwing obnoxious FE figures & then have been arguing with Geeash (who owns a Linea, though petrol) & trying to justify how 33 kmpl FE is possible. On top of that without owning the Linea & knowing its attributes, you're asking Linea-owners to check FE again (in a hope that FE is 33 kmpl?)
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:14   #853
BHPian

@roms: you should have checked the average consumption, not the instantaneous one.

Just for a reality check, I had achieved 25.4 Kmpl once on a 100 Km drive, with three people and quite a lot of luggage, 100% A/C and 20Km of these 100Kms in city, not peak traffic, but the remaining 80% highway was a peak traffic highway.

So, with A/C off, and in an 11pm night at an average speed of 60-70 Kmph, I can imagine about 28-32 Kmpl if driven purely on highway and gently. But then even Logan was driven to give 37Kmpl just for the sake of it by Autocar India. They did even worse, only one driver and no music system. Co-driver has to come in a separate car following the Logan. In that kind of drives, it could be possible. But for real scenarios, I would rather settle between 19-23 Kmpl on highway at an "average" speed of 65 Kmph (which translates to driving at about 100 Kmph if we have to really maintain an average of 65Kmph)

BTW: We should suggest Fiat to conduct a mileage contest from the owners. I would love to participate with my Linea

Last edited by opendro : 22nd May 2009 at 11:17.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:42   #854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
BTW: We should suggest Fiat to conduct a mileage contest from the owners. I would love to participate with my Linea
Ha ha ha. And you would be a strong contender to win it with your fantastic FE.

BTW, you got the oil changed at 1st service. Any visible/ tangible difference in performance after oil change? I'm not able to decide whether I shd change oil at 1st service though am inclined to get it changed.
what do you suggest?
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:56   #855
BHPian

Quote:
That is one improvement the Linea truly deserves. The 1.6 Multijet will make the Linea a stonker to drive. What else would an enthusiast demand from his car, the Linea would have most grounds covered comprehensively - styling, performance, handling, practicality, gizmos and the ability to bump up performance from 118bhp to probably 140bhp(?) by readily available kits from Pete's,etc. And all this at price that would undercut the Civics and Corollas by a big margin.

And lets not forget the fuel efficiency. I have personally driven my S10 along with a Linea Multijet from Pune to Mumbai after the recent PUG meet at B.U. Bhandari, our cars were being driven at a constant speed of 60-80 kmph in overdrive without the a/c (since it was rather pleasant at 11 pm) and no sudden acceleration whatsover. My 1.6 returned 18.74 kpl!(for the entire trip to and fro,with a/c on fan speed 2 during the drive towards Pune at mid noon) And the Linea? A motorbike defeating 33.XX kmpl !!!. Amazing isn't it? The Linea's MID was displaying this instantaneous fuel consumption figure.

Infact, at the Mumbai-Pune PUG meet, we were promised by Fiat officials that positive response for GP will enable them to think about performance variants in the near future. I am waiting for that very day to pick up my GP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Thats whopping huge. Are you joking?. No car can ever give that fuel efficiency on real. May be you have to check manually too sometimes.
Quote:
I know it sounds a bit too far fetched, but this was the "instantaneous fuel consumption", not the average fuel consumption for the entire trip. Do note that at 11 pm, there was hardly any traffic on the expressway and the climate was pretty pleasant for most of the journey, i.e. till we almost reached Mumbai, which only helped the engine in breathing well.

Even if we feel that the onboard display is not accurate or over enthusiastic, we could reduce the figure to about 20% max. Even then, the fuel efficiency is extraordinary. But I do agree that checking it manually would give the perfect picture.

Nevertheless, it does prove that the Linea Diesel is extremely frugal and can give you an average fuel consumption in the range of 20-22 kmpl or thereabouts.

How much do you get from your car geeash?
Quote:
Why are we discussing FE in the disguise of "Instantaneous FE"?
And if Instant FE, then why to quote only 33.xx kmpl? Instant FE is momentory & for that moment only, next moment the FE could reduce to single digit.
I've driven on the expressway several times. I've even averaged 25 KM/L on the Pune - Bombay stretch while keeping the top speed under 100 km/hr. On the Bombay - Pune stretch I averaged 23 KM/L. Both the above averages are on the expressway only. I can easily see some one getting 30+ KMPL if they drive under 80 km/hr without the AC and driving alone!

Quote:
Ha ha ha. And you would be a strong contender to win it with your fantastic FE.

BTW, you got the oil changed at 1st service. Any visible/ tangible difference in performance after oil change? I'm not able to decide whether I shd change oil at 1st service though am inclined to get it changed.
what do you suggest?
I know this message was directed towards opendro but I thought I would chime in as well. I didn't get an oil change at first service but the car has gotten more comfortable to drive, probably because I'm getting used to her .
CarsPG is offline   Reply With Quote