Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th September 2009, 11:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

An average of 9-10 in the city is too low for a run-in car dude. Even with hard driving, the diesel shouldnt give you less than 12-13. Do take it up with the service guys when you go for the checkup.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 11:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
An average of 9-10 in the city is too low for a run-in car dude. Even with hard driving, the diesel shouldnt give you less than 12-13. Do take it up with the service guys when you go for the checkup.
He's right. That is surprisingly abnormal. Perhaps you can have your clutch checked. If anything, I have often found my verna giving me higher mileage when I push her harder, and shift up or down quickly, instead of letting her lug.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 11:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

guys please dont lug your engines for extended periods of time it has a negative effect on the life of your turbos. As lugging will deprive your turbos of required lubrication. and also will put strain on your drive train components.

More over TC engines are more efficient when the turbos are working.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 15:28   #49
BHPian

Thanks for the tips. i have taken up the issue with the service guys and they say all things are fine. They have once done a thing and ask me to do but i refused.

1. they filled diesel till auto cut.
2. A.s.s guy starts driving on ring road.
3. change gears like 20 for second gear ,30 for third , 40-45 for forth and that ediot put 5th gear at the speed of 55 .

i told him that engine is lugging and he told me to do same thing if you want best F.E.

at return to same petrol pump he filled diesel from same machine and tank took exact 1 liter of fuel. when i see the trip meter it was showing 17.2 (it was zerod after last refill). So he told me that your car is giving 17.2 km/l aur kya jaan logey ?????

and declined the fact that the car is low on average . now tell me what to do .

Nor himgiri hyundai and not hans hyundai are able to found any problem . they just do a scan and say everything is normal .

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 12th September 2009 at 15:30.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 15:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Thanks for the tips. i have taken up the issue with the service guys and they say all things are fine. They have once done a thing and ask me to do but i refused.

1. they filled diesel till auto cut.
2. A.s.s guy starts driving on ring road.
3. change gears like 20 for second gear ,30 for third , 40-45 for forth and that ediot put 5th gear at the speed of 55 .

i told him that engine is lugging and he told me to do same thing if you want best F.E.

at return to same petrol pump he filled diesel from same machine and tank took exact 1 leter of fuel. when i see the trip meted it was showing 17.2 (it was zerod after last refill). So he told me that your car is giving 17.2 km/l aur kya jaan logey ?????

and declined the fact that the car is low on average . now tell me what to do .

Nor himgiri hyundai and not hans hyundai are able to found any problem . they just do a scan and say everything is normal .
Mindblowing! What the guy has done is ensured the engine is ket well below 2000 rpm, so the turbo never wakes up.

If you were to emulate him in real life, you can be sure your turbo will ruin itself in less than a year. Of course, at those speeds you'd never reach anywhere in time anyway.

Why didnt you pick up a fight then and there? Fill in exactly 1 ltr of diesel and drive like you normally would have done in city conditions?

I'm quite sure its got to do with the car than your driving style. Diesel engines are inherently fuel efficient. Regardless of how badly you drive, I dont foresee the mileage dipping so much on account of driving alone.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:53   #51
BHPian

^^^ So what should i do now ??? car has no problems other then that.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Blast her up and down on expressway once. Let the demons come out

Btw do u drive daily in the same road/ traffic conditions as he did on ring road ??

Last edited by kpzen : 12th September 2009 at 16:24.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 16:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Blast her up and down on expressway once. Let the demons come out

Btw do u drive daily in the same road/ traffic conditions as he did on ring road ??
NO.

my driving is mainly karol bagh, anand parbat , rohini and delhi cantt side with heavy traffic.

Last edited by NOTORIOUS : 12th September 2009 at 16:29.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ So what should i do now ??? car has no problems other then that.
@notorious - like kp said, try some aggressive driving. Be quick with your gear shifts - when I say gear shifts, I mean when you slow down suddenly in 3rd gear and you feel the turbo lag, shift down to 2nd, speed up and shift back quickly to 3rd. Experiment a bit (but safely) with your car and see if there is a difference.
Secondly - Approach the service manager at your usual service station. Ask him to help you out, and assign a senior advisor to take care of your car. I did the same and it worked wonders for me.
If neither of the above seem to provide you with satisfactory results, have a meet with one of the car guru's on tbhp and have them check out your car to see if they find anything unusual. Then find yourself another service station with more reliable personnel.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:41   #55
BHPian

can you help me roughly that which gear is right at which speed ??

like i do 40kmph at 3rd gear and put 5th only after 70 -75.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:52   #56
BHPian

Yes, KP is right. Rip it once on the e-way, let all hell break loose, get rid of the carbon from the exhaust. You will be surprised to see how your car behaves after this exercise.

That said, i manage to extract around 14kmpl in city driving, which includes fair amount of red-lining almost daily.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 10:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:

There is a good news and a bad news. the bad news is that i have cancelled my swift vdi with abs due to some reasons , and the good news is that i have bought Hyundai verna vgt Sx in white colour.

lolz awesome upgrade man!!!

Quote:
i somehow didnt like the back of dzire. so zeroed on verna.
i had tears in my eyes for few sec , i am so happy for you!! congratulations or Verna. better buy some aviator sunglasses as they require jet fighter pilots like in the AD of verna

Last edited by Caramelo : 13th September 2009 at 10:02.
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 13:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey sorry to be replying late dude. As a thumb rule, to avoid turbo lag, ensure that the rpm is maintained between 2k-2.5K in any gear. Anything more is unnecessary. Anything less will ensure turbo lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
lolz awesome upgrade man!!!

i had tears in my eyes for few sec , i am so happy for you!! congratulations or Verna. better buy some aviator sunglasses as they require jet fighter pilots like in the AD of verna
And your point is?
Old 13th September 2009, 13:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Stop thinking so much! Just go with the feel of the car. Shift as you seem appropriate to constantly accelerate again and bring her back to a higher speed. Try to rev her around a bit for a few days and see if the difference in driving style changes things.
May the force be with you!
Old 13th September 2009, 15:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
A very emotional comment, i must say , now guys lets not gets too mushy here !
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote