Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 10:32   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
IMO people who are considering Bolero XL will move towards Xylo as the purpose is to move maximum people, but the shorter wheel base Bolero sales will not get affected
Would be very interesting to watch.
It's my guess that the Xylo will eat into the shares of many vehicles: Tavera, Bolero, Sumo and Innova.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:37   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
then i was in no mood to let go & unleashed all the boy racer in me, downshifted & wringed the neck of the hawk. that said, the xylo though fast is not a match for the scorpio. he could keep up with me but could not overtake me... in short, the eagle is not as fast as the hawk. AND I AM HAPPY ABOUT THAT!
Sounds like he was a dealer guy probably taking it somewhere. Resist the temptation to take on these lunatics - in most cases, they don't know the limits of their vehicles & in the process end up causing grief to all on the road. Just let them go........it is not worth putting yourself & your vehicle at risk in these high speed situations.

Last edited by suman : 6th February 2009 at 10:38.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:44   #198
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,017
Thanked: 3,465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sounds like he was a dealer guy probably taking it somewhere. Resist the temptation to take on these lunatics - in most cases, they don't know the limits of their vehicles & in the process end up causing grief to all on the road. Just let them go........it is not worth putting yourself & your vehicle at risk in these high speed situations.
Do you think it could have been someone waiting to put up a thread title saying "Tested and ripped" ?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:46   #199
BHPian
 
deepgautam_qa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rajastha
Posts: 221
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sounds like he was a dealer guy probably taking it somewhere. Resist the temptation to take on these lunatics - in most cases, they don't know the limits of their vehicles & in the process end up causing grief to all on the road. Just let them go........it is not worth putting yourself & your vehicle at risk in these high speed situations.
I do agree with you Suman Bhai! These insane buggers don't understand the behavior and limit of their vehicles, hence taking them as a challenge on road may lead us in trouble.

@Raj Bhai: Your Hawk is doubtlessly better than Xylo....please drive safe.

Cheers,
Deepak
deepgautam_qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 10:51   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sounds like he was a dealer guy probably taking it somewhere. Resist the temptation to take on these lunatics - in most cases, they don't know the limits of their vehicles & in the process end up causing grief to all on the road. Just let them go........it is not worth putting yourself & your vehicle at risk in these high speed situations.
Yup, I had one of these maniacs try to race with me at the Gurgaon Expressway driving a brand new A-Star on trade plates. I simply let him pass.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 17:18   #201
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sounds like he was a dealer guy probably taking it somewhere. Resist the temptation to take on these lunatics - in most cases, they don't know the limits of their vehicles & in the process end up causing grief to all on the road. Just let them go........it is not worth putting yourself & your vehicle at risk in these high speed situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
I do agree with you Suman Bhai! These insane buggers don't understand the behavior and limit of their vehicles, hence taking them as a challenge on road may lead us in trouble.

@Raj Bhai: Your Hawk is doubtlessly better than Xylo....please drive safe.

Cheers,
Deepak
point taken. i would not have raced with him had he not cut in front of me twice. thereafter, frustration & irritation took over me & i was in no mood to let go.
but yes, that was definitely not a wise decision & i agree to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Do you think it could have been someone waiting to put up a thread title saying "Tested and ripped" ?
now i have to search for a thread with this title on T-BHP or other forums!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 14:02   #202
BHPian
 
nevertouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 57 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
now i have to search for a thread with this title on T-BHP or other forums!
May be these videos will help you a lil bit. At one point he says Hawk is better than Eagle.





Cheers,
Jai

Last edited by nevertouchme : 8th February 2009 at 14:04. Reason: There was an error in one of the links.
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 21:16   #203
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,682 Times
Default

Here are some more Xylo pictures clicked by me. had been to a Mahindra showroom today. Was impressed with the VFM factor of the Xylo. Outer fit and finish are excellent for its class. But for the cheap looking door handles and the quite crude chrome like rings that encircle these,the plastics quality need a bit of improvement. Space abounds within the MPV. The fit and finish don't match up to the Innova but is a class apart for the lower amount we are paying.The seating is for either 7 or 8 passengers. If we opt for bucket seats in the second row,it becomes a seven seater or else if it is a bench, it will seat 8.The MPV offers a solid ride typical of any Mahindra. The engine noise is very less and cabin intrusion is minimum. The steering and controls are well placed and one doesnt feel like he is driving a 1800 Kg plus MPV. It feels very light. The suspensions are on the softer side for a Mahindra. Though the drive is not as responsive as a Scorpio 2.6 CRDe (the m Hawk is a class above) or as smooth and refined as the Innova, the Xylo with its 2.5 L CRde engine is fun to drive and handle in the city traffic. I could not exceed speeds of above 60 kmph while on the city roads, but have read that its a bit unstable at higher speeds of above 120 kmph. The Xylo does a maximum 161 kmph according to M &M.The seats fold up beautifully for ingress and egress of passengers especially in the third bench.
To begin with I am posting a picture that I clicked at Mumbai a few months back.
This is followed up by regular post-launch XYLO pictures
Mahindra Xylo test drive-xylo.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2227.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2228.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2230.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2231.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2232.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2233.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2236.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2238.jpg

Mahindra Xylo test drive-sonycamv-2239.jpg

This is an E6 variant. The higher variants E 6 and E 8 have different colours available that are not found in the E 2 and E 4 versions.The music system an integrated "Made for Mahindra" MP3/CD player is of Nippon make and is fitted to the E 6 and E 8 versions.The name Mahindra is painted on the front panel of the player.This is very similar to the one fitted on to the Swift DZire ZDi but the ZDi has steering controls for the music system.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 22:36   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

@ nevertouchme: thanks for the videos mate. except for the fit/finish & reliabilty, xylo scores higher in almost every aspect. wonder what the critics have to say.

@ anjan: nice review anjan. but the colour combination makes the ugly car look uglier, IMO.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 16:05   #205
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default

Excellent Pics anjan_c2007.

I have had a lot of time to expolre the Xylo while waiting for the gear lock to be installed in my Scorpio.

Barring the grill and the bare rear the car looks good, the interiors are excellent and well designed.

I almost feel cheated after shelling out 11 lacs from my mHawk whose interiors do not match up to the Xylo ( I still love the drive & presence that the Scorpio offers). The electric OVRMS, roof mounted AC, drive information etc, etc, are mouth watering at the price. The way the 2nd row seat folds up is excellent, unlike the uncomfortable ingress for the third row passengers in a Scorpio.

At least the Mahindra design team deserves some appreciation for bringing in the much required changes to the interiors which I am sure will follow in the new Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Here are some more Xylo pictures clicked by me. had been to a Mahindra showroom today. Was impressed with the VFM factor of the Xylo. Outer fit and finish are excellent for its class. But for the cheap looking door handles and the quite crude chrome like rings that encircle these,the plastics quality need a bit of improvement. Space abounds within the MPV. The fit and finish don't match up to the Innova but is a class apart for the lower amount we are paying.The seating is for either 7 or 8 passengers. If we opt for bucket seats in the second row,it becomes a seven seater or else if it is a bench, it will seat 8.The MPV offers a solid ride typical of any Mahindra. The engine noise is very less and cabin intrusion is minimum. The steering and controls are well placed and one doesnt feel like he is driving a 1800 Kg plus MPV. It feels very light. The suspensions are on the softer side for a Mahindra. Though the drive is not as responsive as a Scorpio 2.6 CRDe (the m Hawk is a class above) or as smooth and refined as the Innova, the Xylo with its 2.5 L CRde engine is fun to drive and handle in the city traffic. I could not exceed speeds of above 60 kmph while on the city roads, but have read that its a bit unstable at higher speeds of above 120 kmph. The Xylo does a maximum 161 kmph according to M &M.The seats fold up beautifully for ingress and egress of passengers especially in the third bench.
To begin with I am posting a picture that I clicked at Mumbai a few months back.
This is followed up by regular post-launch XYLO pictures
Attachment 98614

Attachment 98615

Attachment 98616

Attachment 98617

Attachment 98618

Attachment 98619

Attachment 98620

Attachment 98621

Attachment 98622

Attachment 98623

This is an E6 variant. The higher variants E 6 and E 8 have different colours available that are not found in the E 2 and E 4 versions.The music system an integrated "Made for Mahindra" MP3/CD player is of Nippon make and is fitted to the E 6 and E 8 versions.The name Mahindra is painted on the front panel of the player.This is very similar to the one fitted on to the Swift DZire ZDi but the ZDi has steering controls for the music system.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:48   #206
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Totally Agree. Don't really like the look of the vehicle from the outside, though it doesnt look as bad in real life as in photographs, but did think that barring quality of plastics, they have done an excellent job of the interiors. Lot of thought seems to have gone in there. Good job M&M .
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 21:09   #207
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Excellent Pics anjan_c2007.

I have had a lot of time to expolre the Xylo while waiting for the gear lock to be installed in my Scorpio.

Barring the grill and the bare rear the car looks good, the interiors are excellent and well designed.

I almost feel cheated after shelling out 11 lacs from my mHawk whose interiors do not match up to the Xylo ( I still love the drive & presence that the Scorpio offers). The electric OVRMS, roof mounted AC, drive information etc, etc, are mouth watering at the price. The way the 2nd row seat folds up is excellent, unlike the uncomfortable ingress for the third row passengers in a Scorpio.

At least the Mahindra design team deserves some appreciation for bringing in the much required changes to the interiors which I am sure will follow in the new Scorpio.
Thanks Upreti- the m Hawk is a class above and its 2.2 L engine is a gem to drive. I am sure the m Hawk with the Rs 10 L plus price tag is also VFM and has an upmarket image.Hope you will continue to have fun with your m Hawk ownership.
The Xylo's engine is of a 100cc lesser capacity than the 2.6 L CRDe of the older Scorpios and has been renamed as m Eagle. What next from M&M? m Vulture or m Falcon and so on.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 23:05   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

i have payed 11 lakhs for the mHawk just for that amazing ENGINE. the TD tempted me to go for the scorpio mHawk irrespective of the price & the credit goes to the hawk. engine, some sensors/electronics & looks apart, there is nothing special the mHawk offers when compared to the xylo.

those investing in the xylo dont care a damn for its looks, they are more interested in its space, practicality & useability. that said, i feel Xylo & Scorpio has a different set of customers. if i was to choose between the scorpio & xylo, i would choose the scorpio even now (the new scorpio looks great!).
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 23:20   #209
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i have payed 11 lakhs for the mHawk just for that amazing ENGINE. the TD tempted me to go for the scorpio mHawk irrespective of the price & the credit goes to the hawk. engine, some sensors/electronics & looks apart, there is nothing special the mHawk offers when compared to the xylo.

those investing in the xylo dont care a damn for its looks, they are more interested in its space, practicality & useability. that said, i feel Xylo & Scorpio has a different set of customers. if i was to choose between the scorpio & xylo, i would choose the scorpio even now (the new scorpio looks great!).
Raj Thats a more apt viewpoint from a m Hawk lover.You have illustrated and clarified what I wanted to point out.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 15:20   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default

happened to see a black xylo in coimbatore sub-urbs. Strangely, all the 'ugliness' in the pictures are not perceived in flesh!!.. the rear looked plain yet acceptable.

As per my opinion, the MUV can compete with the innova with ABS/airbags added.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M&M launches Xylo variant - Xylo D2, with new Engine H3LIOS The Indian Car Scene 61 11th November 2010 22:34
Countdown to new Xylo 'Happy legs' TV ad.. Will they launch a new Xylo? Finject The Indian Car Scene 19 19th May 2010 18:28
Comparision test: Scorpio 2.2 VS Xylo 2.5 sidindica Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 8 7th August 2009 16:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks