Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th February 2009, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Heman!

Have a great time motoring!

@Ravi,
Your official worst figures are the *worst* figures that I have seen!
With my hard pushing punishing driving with A/c, I was able to bring it down only to 13kmpl.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Heman for your new ride !! The more you drive the more you will enjoy it. Well for me Alto is my highway cruiser and I have covered 7-8 states on it!! Obviously I dont see any ride as VFM as it.

Nice ownership report. You will see much improvement in your car after 2nd service. Hope you maintain the usage strictly based on what is mentioned in the manual and not overspeeding / redlining etc.

Is your alloys 13inchers? Which profile tyres did you choose? Instead of S322 why didnt you go for Michelins XM1+? I feel that is the best brand of tubeless tyres in 12/13inches.

@Ravibhat, if you drive at 5th gear in the speed range of 55-70kmph on highways (without AC) you can even target 30kmpl figures!!
why do you want to achieve higher mileage figures? Drive normally on highways based on road, traffic etc, FE will take care automatically.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 8th February 2009 at 17:45.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009, 17:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
...if you drive at 5th gear in the speed range of 55-70kmph on highways (without AC) you can even target 30kmpl figures!!...
got my best of 22kmpl by driving at 80kmph, this was with a/c. But then, there were few stretches that I did 110kmph and some places where I revved hard for overtaking and trying to get to cruising speed quickly. So, maybe, if I have driven softly, I might have got even more.
Old 8th February 2009, 18:19   #19
BHPian

Heman congrats on your new ride. Your alloys look great. Wish you many miles of safe and happy motoring.

The Alto is indeed a VFM ride and keeping her running like new should not be too heavy on your pocket.

@ravibhat: 24 kmpl should be achievable, I once achieved 22 kmpl on a Mumbai - Pune expressway run in my M800 5sp (the best I have done so far).
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009, 00:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Congratulations!
This is the car with which you will have emotional attachment as its your first car.

Very very detailed explanation about experience before buying the car and at the dealer.

Please post more about FE also.
Thank you aaggoswami>
I have downloaded an excel from Team-Bhp for maintainance. Will give an update for FE soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Congrats dude! Alto is a fantastic VFM car for the city.

And all those non-owners in the forum who shout about its lack of space, power, are just being jealous, because they just can't digest the fact that an Alto costs almost half and gives double the fuel efficiency compared to their cars. ;-)
Thanks DCEite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Congratulations Heman on your 1st car! Even I went through the same emotions when I bought my 1st car around a month back.

Wish you many many miles of happy driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
congrats heman , alto is a great car .
Thank you Fountainheader

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Congrats Heman, Now when do i get to see it in person
You tell me. When would you want to come here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats Heman. A very nice write up and a lovely car. Reminded me of the time when I bought my 1st car. Very happy for you. Congrats once again.

Rgds,
Thank you R2D2.
Heman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 14:27   #21
BHPian

Congrats!

Its a fantastic car.

It will give you years of Problem free pleasure without spending much.

Enjoy the car.

Do post detailed experience.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 15:01   #22
BHPian

Congrats Heman. Good car and a great alloy combo.Enjoy your first ride for years to come.
sanjayatarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 15:11   #23
BHPian

congrats heman.......

the alto is actually a gem of a car and will serve you for years to come. And even when you do decide to retire it it will fetch you a nice amount. Our 4 year alto registered in UP Noida from Vishal Motors is fetching 1.5 lakhs from Maruti true Value in Calcutta.

BTW the registration is still UP XXXXXX and the car has been running on calcutta roads for over 2.5 years.

A few areas of concern that will creep up:

1. rattles - can be fixed with damping and a smile + 100rs to the service guy
2. headlamps - has got really fragile headlamp cramps - a minor bump may not break it but the levelling will go for a toss
3. ac - problems sometimes creep up when ac fails to cool properly

PS: These are nothing that routine serivce from a authorized service personnel can't fix. So keep the service routine going........
suprateep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 17:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.

The other car in the family is an Alto, and I must say I am impressed with it. Here's my take on it:

1. Rock bottom maintenance costs.
2. The car is surprisingly stable at 60-90 kph despite riding on 145 profile stock tyres. I am sure it would be more with an upgrade.
3. The ride quality is actually very good for its segment. IMO it rides better than the Santro / Wagon R.
4. The AC has to be switched off while overtaking only. But I do switch it off while idling.
5. However, some plastics (door panel etc.) are rattling.
6. I always have a feeling that the ad featuring the Swift playing football in the parking lot suits the Alto better, such is the ease of manoeuverability in the city.

For low-cost of ownership, good resale value and fuel efficiency, Alto rules.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 18:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
2. The car is surprisingly stable at 60-90 kph despite riding on 145 profile stock tyres. I am sure it would be more with an upgrade.
4. The AC has to be switched off while overtaking only. But I do switch it off while idling.
6. I always have a feeling that the ad featuring the Swift playing football in the parking lot suits the Alto better, such is the ease of manoeuverability in the city.

My observations:
2. Not trying to promote high speed driving of this little guy, but the car is stable even at higher speeds! It has been well planted and have not felt at any point of time felt any lack of control.

4. Mmm... yeah... the A/c does take it toll on the engine power. But hey, it is one of the best cooler in town!

5. Tell me about it! Maruti's famous rattlers! Had to live with it for almost 1.5 years!!! Damping is the way to go.

6. Same thought. Have not found a small car which is as driving friendly as this guy!
Old 11th February 2009, 21:32   #26
BHPian

Congrats Heman, the first car I purchased with my money 4 years ago was also Alto, it's a no nonsense car, and a lot of Fun to drive. The car looks beautiful with body coloured bumbers door handles and ORVMs. Enjoy yhe drive and keep us posted
Dieseled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 23:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Congrats on the Car heman, A very well written report. Enjoy your dream.
Hey Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Congrats Heman I noticed White Alto looks bugger than Blue Santro.

1. About still ride: with Apollo stock tyres I was feeling I am travelling in Auto, once I changed to Michellins my Alto rides better than Innova! Try 29psi tyre pressure for better ride. Double Check Balancing of wheels and make sure wheels are mounted correct on alloys. With tubeless tyres ride should improve. I assume tyre is stock one. If you have upsized your tyre ride quality would go down for sure although handling will improve.
Tyre is not stock, it is upgraded to 13" Bridgestone Turanza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
2. Alto engine is not refined like Spark/Santro other premium hatchbacks. So first 5000km you would feel more vibration. Once engine covers 5000km vibration would be less and pickup improves. Thats what I noticed in my Alto.

3. This is small engine so slight Cranking is enough. Its new car so it will settle after 2 services.

You will feel much better once it clocks 5000km. In coming weeks post your FE figures. In 5000km FE figures of my Alto.

Worst driving: 10.2kmpl with AC.
Worst driving: 11kmpl without AC.

Decent driving in Bumper to bumper heavy traffic jam for 10km and 1 hour: 13kmpl with AC on.
Decent driving in normal Bangalore city traffic: 16kmpl without AC.

Highway driving with decent speeds of 70-80kmph: 22kmpl without AC

Highway cruise with speeds like 100kmph: 20kmpl without AC.
Highway cruise with speeds like 100kmph: 18 with AC on.

In my next highway travelling, FE target is 24kmpl!

Regards,

Ravi.
I am getting an average of around 15
[quote=ravibhat;1162750]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
congratulations Heman!

you have got best deal.

regarding drawback no3 and no4, check spark plugs.

i think these are the worst fe figs for alto i ever read.
best luck for 24 km fe.
once,i achieved 22km at long drive. 20km is normal fe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Heman,
Congrats on the car. She looks really nice!
I'm waiting for the day I get to buy my own car with my own money.
Hey, Thank you. Dont worry that day will also come soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Congrats Heman. The Alto looks lovely in white. You got a pretty good deal too! Nice alloys too. Enjoy her buddy!
Thank you Shuvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
congrats Heman. Alto is a fantastic first car (I also drive one ) and you'll enjoy owing one. The alloys on your white car look amazing. I'm jealous (am still running on stock tires/rims).
However did you also consider i10 1.1 ? The only grouse with Alto that I have is it becomes an apple cart with A/C ON and 3-4 people on board. Although most of time (95%) I am the lone person in the car so still serves my purpose well.
I di not consider the i10 1.1, since it was above my budget.

In my case too, I am the lone person in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Congrats buddy! Alto is one of the best small cars.

Enjoy your ride.
Hey, Thank you mukeshgoel.
Old 15th February 2009, 23:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Congrats Heman!

Have a great time motoring!
thank you HappyWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Congrats Heman for your new ride !! The more you drive the more you will enjoy it. Well for me Alto is my highway cruiser and I have covered 7-8 states on it!! Obviously I dont see any ride as VFM as it.

Nice ownership report. You will see much improvement in your car after 2nd service. Hope you maintain the usage strictly based on what is mentioned in the manual and not overspeeding / redlining etc.

Is your alloys 13inchers? Which profile tyres did you choose? Instead of S322 why didnt you go for Michelins XM1+? I feel that is the best brand of tubeless tyres in 12/13inches.

@Ravibhat, if you drive at 5th gear in the speed range of 55-70kmph on highways (without AC) you can even target 30kmpl figures!!
why do you want to achieve higher mileage figures? Drive normally on highways based on road, traffic etc, FE will take care automatically.

Abhi
Thank you Abhi,
That is a nice experience with an Alto, me too planning some interstate adventures, though not now.

My tyres are 13", I was told that Bridgetone would be better than Michelins by Bombay tyres and hence I went with his word.
Old 15th February 2009, 23:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Heman congrats on your new ride. Your alloys look great. Wish you many miles of safe and happy motoring.

The Alto is indeed a VFM ride and keeping her running like new should not be too heavy on your pocket.

@ravibhat: 24 kmpl should be achievable, I once achieved 22 kmpl on a Mumbai - Pune expressway run in my M800 5sp (the best I have done so far).
Thank you Volt, Would surely keep it like my Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Congrats!

Its a fantastic car.

It will give you years of Problem free pleasure without spending much.

Enjoy the car.

Do post detailed experience.
Thank you, will surely post some detailed experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Congrats Heman. Good car and a great alloy combo.Enjoy your first ride for years to come.
Thank you Sanjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
congrats heman.......

the alto is actually a gem of a car and will serve you for years to come. And even when you do decide to retire it it will fetch you a nice amount. Our 4 year alto registered in UP Noida from Vishal Motors is fetching 1.5 lakhs from Maruti true Value in Calcutta.

BTW the registration is still UP XXXXXX and the car has been running on calcutta roads for over 2.5 years.

A few areas of concern that will creep up:

1. rattles - can be fixed with damping and a smile + 100rs to the service guy
2. headlamps - has got really fragile headlamp cramps - a minor bump may not break it but the levelling will go for a toss
3. ac - problems sometimes creep up when ac fails to cool properly

PS: These are nothing that routine serivce from a authorized service personnel can't fix. So keep the service routine going........
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Congrats.

The other car in the family is an Alto, and I must say I am impressed with it. Here's my take on it:

1. Rock bottom maintenance costs.
3. The ride quality is actually very good for its segment. IMO it rides better than the Santro / Wagon R.

Thank you Architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
Congrats Heman, the first car I purchased with my money 4 years ago was also Alto, it's a no nonsense car, and a lot of Fun to drive. The car looks beautiful with body coloured bumbers door handles and ORVMs. Enjoy yhe drive and keep us posted
Thank you Dieseled, will surely keep you posted.
Old 15th February 2009, 23:41   #30
BHPian

Congrats Heman,

Owning a first car always is a special feeling. Enjoy your drive and drive safe!
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote