Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd March 2009, 13:01   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Hmmm. I am comfortable using only the rear view mirror inside the car. It gives me a more secure feeling. And i don't change lanes often. Side view mirrors are needed when you change lanes very often. Knowing pras and his driving I know he changes lanes quiet a lot He! He!
There are reasons for that:
1) Because I always consult my mirrors before making lane changes
2) Because my car likes to shift lanes
3) Because all the slow pokes drive on the right most lane and I have to go past them on the left cause they wont give way
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:32   #47

Congratulations Shyam.. The comparison between the Verna & Getz is eagerly awaited.

Drive Safe !!

Cheers,
DJ
Devil.DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:15   #48
BHPian

Well here is the comparison between the 2 monsters one with a hatch and the other without it. Based on the test drive of the verna and the drive of pras's car i have found quiet a lot of differences.

First of all the engine and the gear box. People have told that the getz is more refined and the gear box is tweaked for more of a sporty ratio. Frankly, I did not find much of a difference. Even if there is a difference once the turbo kicks in i don't think the difference can be found. As for the handling the getz has stiffer suspension but the verna suspension seems to be tuned for more comfort rather than handling. The verna seems to have a little bit of a swing when you make some hard slicing turns. The Getz on the other hand swings when you go into ditches this is because of the extra bit of height and the seating position. But, at higher speeds and on good roads it seems more planted and gives more confidence to the driver. I hit 120 on the verna and the getz, the getz gives a more zippy feel, the verna on the other hand gives a soothing effect(makes you want to sleep). I liked the way the getz took the hard turns and curves than the verna. I like the verna for its really comfortable ride(the ride position, the leg room, all these give the verna it comfortable ride quality). The clutch and the turbo are virtually the same. The cornering,body roll etc are better in Getz than Verna and all these matters if you drive like crazy regularly. Otherwise the comfort in the verna is much more. The ABS in the verna gives you the much needed re-assurance than the without ABS getz. Well if you ask me which one i would choose - i would choose the Getz because it is much more fun packed than the verna is. (P.S. i am not being biased ).

The ACs seemed the same even though pras's SX had the climate control. The interiors I liked it in the verna. The climate control, the ICE and the NVH are some things that keeps the getzi at bay. Then again it is a matter of personal choice - I would again choose the Getz here because because i am happy with a decent AC(i don't need climate control), I like customizing the ICE myself. As for the NVH i some how found the verna a bit quieter from the inside(may be because of the flooring and the more PACKED interiors because of more people). I need to get a hold of the flooring soon.(P.S. the ICE in my car is on some other planet when compared to the custom fitted stuff in pras's car ).

The headlamp is much more sorted out in the getz (this is mainly because the glare from the on coming traffic is lesser in the getz because of the higher seating position). I like the headlamp assembly of the getz. No difference in the horn (but yes now because i have upgraded to ROOTs skoda sound horn - sounds amazing.

After all this there comes VFM - i have again heard people saying getz is not VFM, well all i can say is this YOU CANT HAVE VFM WHEN YOU HAVE THE FASTEST HATCH IN INDIA. In comparison to the verna base model, the getz has more VFM minus the boot. Well why buy just another sedan when you can go in for the fastest hatch He! He! (ok now i am being biased).

On other things - the fuel efficiency is almost the same, the Getz probably edges out the verna on top speed and the short and long sprints(depends on the driver as well).

Well thats that, the getz is more a fun car to drive but the verna is much more comfortable. The verna seems much more safer than the getz only if it has the ABS, the getz is much more stable and planted.

Comparison - GETZ vs VERNA
1. Looks - 9.5/10 vs 9/10
2. Engine : 9/10 vs 9/10
3. Performance : 9/10 vs 9/10
4. Safety : 7.5/10 vs 9/10
5. Features : 8/10 vs 8/10 (bw the getz and base model verna)
6. Handling : 9/10 vs 8/10
7. Ride (for comfort) : 8/10 vs 9/10
(for sporty) : 9/10 vs 8/10
8. Interiors : 9/10 vs 9/10
9. Fun : 10/10 vs 9/10
10. Overall : 9.5/10 vs 9/10

(P.S. Well after all this i would like to say the getz is much better than the verna. He! He! I am just being mean. ABOVE COMPARISON DOES NOT INCLUDE THE BETTER PERFORMING TYRE IN MY GETZ)
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:02   #49
BHPian

Shyam, inspite of my superior writing skills I couldnt have written the comparison better myself.
My comments in bold

Quote:
Well here is the comparison between the 2 monsters one with a hatch and the other without it. Based on the test drive of the verna and the drive of pras's car i have found quiet a lot of differences.
I think you meant test drive of the getz and pras's car(the verna)!

First of all the engine and the gear box. People have told that the getz is more refined and the gear box is tweaked for more of a sporty ratio. Frankly, I did not find much of a difference. Even if there is a difference once the turbo kicks in i don't think the difference can be found. As for the handling the getz has stiffer suspension but the verna suspension seems to be tuned for more comfort rather than handling. The verna seems to have a little bit of a swing when you make some hard slicing turns. The Getz on the other hand swings when you go into ditches this is because of the extra bit of height and the seating position. But, at higher speeds and on good roads it seems more planted and gives more confidence to the driver. I hit 120 on the verna and the getz, the getz gives a more zippy feel, the verna on the other hand gives a soothing effect(makes you want to sleep). I liked the way the getz took the hard turns and curves than the verna. I like the verna for its really comfortable ride(the ride position, the leg room, all these give the verna it comfortable ride quality). The clutch and the turbo are virtually the same. The cornering,body roll etc are better in Getz than Verna and all these matters if you drive like crazy regularly. Otherwise the comfort in the verna is much more. The ABS in the verna gives you the much needed re-assurance than the without ABS getz. Well if you ask me which one i would choose - i would choose the Getz because it is much more fun packed than the verna is. (P.S. i am not being biased ).

I think on a highway the comfort of the verna makes it a more comfortable car, but I do believe that it is extremely fun to drive even in the city inspite of it being a saloon. Yes I think for that monstrosity that is that engine, ABS is an absolute necessity. The verna brakes are the most amazing things on earth.

The ACs seemed the same even though pras's SX had the climate control. The interiors I liked it in the verna. The climate control, the ICE and the NVH are some things that keeps the getzi at bay. Then again it is a matter of personal choice - I would again choose the Getz here because because i am happy with a decent AC(i don't need climate control), I like customizing the ICE myself. As for the NVH i some how found the verna a bit quieter from the inside(may be because of the flooring and the more PACKED interiors because of more people). I need to get a hold of the flooring soon.(P.S. the ICE in my car is on some other planet when compared to the custom fitted stuff in pras's car ).
Really cant compare the stock system to yours can you. Thats just showing off! But yes, I do think that the kenwood system in the verna is actually pretty good. There is an issue with the auto climate control. The system shifts constantly between ventilation and circulation. While this is ok on highways, in the city it can be a pain when you suddenly realize that you can smell exhaust fumes inside the car!

The headlamp is much more sorted out in the getz (this is mainly because the glare from the on coming traffic is lesser in the getz because of the higher seating position). I like the headlamp assembly of the getz. No difference in the horn (but yes now because i have upgraded to ROOTs skoda sound horn - sounds amazing.

The verna headlights are terrible!

After all this there comes VFM - i have again heard people saying getz is not VFM, well all i can say is this YOU CANT HAVE VFM WHEN YOU HAVE THE FASTEST HATCH IN INDIA. In comparison to the verna base model, the getz has more VFM minus the boot. Well why buy just another sedan when you can go in for the fastest hatch He! He! (ok now i am being biased).

I think that you didnt really miss the VFM factor because 1) your pretty crazy and 2) because you had stuff like your ICE transferred from your zen and 3) again your pretty crazy . But yes, based on pure fun factor, the getz is total VFM

On other things - the fuel efficiency is almost the same, the Getz probably edges out the verna on top speed and the short and long sprints(depends on the driver as well).
I think the getz is more refined in 1st gear. The verna really struggles to take off in 1st, but once its in 2nd youll find yourself revving to 3000rpm and not looking back.

Well thats that, the getz is more a fun car to drive but the verna is much more comfortable. The verna seems much more safer than the getz only if it has the ABS, the getz is much more stable and planted.

Comparison - GETZ vs VERNA
1. Looks - 9.5/10 vs 9/10 The front grill spoils it, but nice alloys would eliminate the difference.
2. Engine : 9/10 vs 9/10 I would give it 10/10
3. Performance : 9/10 vs 9/10 Again 10/10
4. Safety : 7.5/10 vs 9/10
5. Features : 8/10 vs 8/10 (bw the getz and base model verna)
6. Handling : 9/10 vs 8/10
7. Ride (for comfort) : 8/10 vs 9/10
(for sporty) : 9/10 vs 8/10
8. Interiors : 9/10 vs 9/10 Only on the top end models with the beige interiors and wooden console.
9. Fun : 10/10 vs 9/10 I dont agree with this one! Thats just biased!!
10. Overall : 9.5/10 vs 9/10 Again your being biased :P

(P.S. Well after all this i would like to say the getz is much better than the verna. He! He! I am just being mean. ABOVE COMPARISON DOES NOT INCLUDE THE BETTER PERFORMING TYRE IN MY GETZ)
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I think on a highway the comfort of the verna makes it a more comfortable car
Sorry I meant the refinement of the verna makes it more comfortable then the getz.
Old 7th March 2009, 17:35   #51
BANNED

[quote=ShyamSCrdi;1194940]Frankly speaking i don't mind the wood finish center console. But yes would have liked the silver one it self. And for the rubber - its already upgraded - it is a Michelin BF Goodrich, 195/60 R14

quote]

oops didnt read that out, and what abt alloys, comming sooner??
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 19:50   #52
BHPian

Arrow First service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
oops didnt read that out, and what abt alloys, comming sooner??
Nope! No vita M .

Guys,
First service done.
Place: Jakkasandra Service station.
Date: 6th March 2009

Experience: Well the place was quiet empty at 9:15 A.M. So was given a nice reception, was not made to wait. The service advisor came to me almost immediately and started jotting down all the needful. I told i wanted to take the service engineer for a test drive.

Complaints: Vibrating gear stick, knocking sound from the drivers window when it was raised, steering wheel vibrating at >100KM/H.

Requested for: Teflon coating (3M).

After jotting down the needful and the complaints i took a test drive with the engineer. (When engineers are there the car behaves like a zillion bucks) The gear stick vibration was not reproduced, so the engineer said he would check on the problem. The car was due for delivery as promised at 5 P.M.

Job done: Teflon coating, cleaning of interiors and car wash.

Bill amount: 3K (only for the teflon coating)

Complaints resolved: Window issue (and nothing else because problem did not recur.) Problems are yet there.

Attached the pics of the car taken after the teflon coating
Attached Thumbnails
My Hyundai Getz Crdi - Dark Grey Metallic. Update: 50,000 kms done-06032009045.jpg  

My Hyundai Getz Crdi - Dark Grey Metallic. Update: 50,000 kms done-06032009046.jpg  

My Hyundai Getz Crdi - Dark Grey Metallic. Update: 50,000 kms done-06032009047.jpg  

My Hyundai Getz Crdi - Dark Grey Metallic. Update: 50,000 kms done-06032009048.jpg  

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 8th March 2009 at 20:00.
Old 8th March 2009, 21:20   #53
BHPian

Congrats Shyam thats a nice looking beast you have there. Nice ICE too. Cheers.
Kevciti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:35   #54
BHPian

As i understand the total process of teflon coating is a 24 hr one. Anything less does not give its full effect. It works just as a wax polish if done in 2-3 hrs. I think an expert on these coatings can confirm.

Your vehicle looks great. Only alloys are missing.
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post

As i understand the total process of teflon coating is a 24 hr one. Anything less does not give its full effect. It works just as a wax polish if done in 2-3 hrs. I think an expert on these coatings can confirm.

Your vehicle looks great. Only alloys are missing.
Thnx! Need VitaMon for alloys.
I asked the same question to the guys in the workshop. They told me for 3M it is not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevciti View Post
Congrats Shyam thats a nice looking beast you have there. Nice ICE too. Cheers.
Thnx mate!

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 9th March 2009 at 11:40.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:54   #56
BHPian

Hey congratulations! Must be one fun car to drive.
Does any variant of the Getz CRDi come with ABS/Airbags? Just thinking, would make sense wouldnt it; since its such a powerful car.
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 14:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hey congratulations! Must be one fun car to drive.
Does any variant of the Getz CRDi come with ABS/Airbags? Just thinking, would make sense wouldnt it; since its such a powerful car.
There is only one variant of the GetZ Crdi. It does not come with safety features :(. Can someone ask hyundai to update their Getz Crdi models and features. It would be the hatch to look out for then.

Cheers
Old 9th March 2009, 15:04   #58
BHPian

Default Congrats Shyam!

Congrats Shyam on your new car. Could literally feel the excitement of your new buy through your posts. Looks like a lot of people are going in for the Getz crdi now a days.
Once again Congratulations & wishing you miles & miles of safe driving in your new Getz!

Ranjith
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 11:31   #59
BHPian

Default New updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Congrats Shyam on your new car. Could literally feel the excitement of your new buy through your posts. Looks like a lot of people are going in for the Getz crdi now a days.
Once again Congratulations & wishing you miles & miles of safe driving in your new Getz!

Ranjith
Thanks Ranjith!!

Few updates on the Wish list:
1. Lumar 35% sunfilm -> Done (Actually took the LLumar 20%)
2. GSport seat covers -> Getting it done this week end
3. Keyless entry -> Done - Autocop (without body sensors)
4. Flooring + steering cover(similar to pras) -> when i go to chennai
5. Spoilers -> When i have more vita M
6. Alloys -> Same as above

I even put LLumar 50% on the front windshield.
Shall put up the updated pics as soon as seats are done
Cheers
Old 17th March 2009, 12:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
There is only one variant of the GetZ Crdi. It does not come with safety features :(. Can someone ask hyundai to update their Getz Crdi models and features. It would be the hatch to look out for then.

Cheers
There is another thread going on about the getz crdi and how hyundai launched it only due to dealer pressure. Apparnetly all getz crdi owners have contributed towards hyundai's loss!