Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd March 2009, 16:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
I got the car at the On Road price of 1,721,496 ...
danc,

whenever I read the price of Laura's etc. I always tend to calculate that I could buy a Gurkha 4WD and Getz CRDI with the price and still have change to spare.

Anyhoo congrats for the car.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:06   #17
BHPian

GTO, No mods planned for now, I will probably consider Pete's Tuning box at a later date. I do have a pendancy on the pictures which I will try to close in a few day's time.

Lurker, I know what you mean, My wife suggested 8, 800's in different colors in the same spirit! Well what can I say, 6 years ago when I came back from the US after having driven Acura 3.2TL for 3 years, I chose Baleno as the only other option in the range was 1.5 or 1.3 Honda City, which I felt was overpriced. Now by the way I have paid almost the same amount of money as my Acura on the Laura (Not trying to indicate that they are comparable in any other respect) thanks to the Skoda pricing and the tax structure we have in India, but Im happy so far with my decision.

Best Regards,

Danc
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:01   #18
BHPian

Congrats Danc. I assume you will get used to the car well and then look at the mods. Congrats on your purchase.

Have fun driving.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations,

I know that Lauras can be problematic, Skoda can be high-handed, dealers less than honest and the repairs / parts failures can cost a bomb.

BUT

It is the car in 15-20 lakh segment that has a great mix of it all: decent engine mated to an excellent DSG gearbox, great handling, excellent interiors and loads of features on the L&K. It has been the kind of car that I have really wanted to drive everytime when I travelled in it, with my client or with someone else.

Now that you've taken the plunge, enjoy it, esp the kick-down mode .
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Congratulations,

I know that Lauras can be problematic, Skoda can be high-handed, dealers less than honest and the repairs / parts failures can cost a bomb.

Now that you've taken the plunge, enjoy it, esp the kick-down mode .
Im still keeping my fingers crossed and have hearing some positive developments, like spares costs declining for Laura as compared to last year. I need to get down to the kick down mode as I have crossed the initial setting in distance of 1600 Kms recommended by Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Congrats Danc. I assume you will get used to the car well and then look at the mods. Congrats on your purchase.

Have fun driving.
Yest very much so, for now Im satisfied with what I have. Thanks a lot.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats danc for an amazing car. The laura looks sexy and royal from all the angles . Enjoy the drive and drive safely.
djay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 15:51   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO, No mods planned for now, I will probably consider Pete's Tuning box at a later date. I do have a pendancy on the pictures which I will try to close in a few day's time.
How about a simple alloy + tyre upgrade then? They transform the look and onroad behaviour of the Laura to another level!

Quote:
Well what can I say, 6 years ago when I came back from the US after having driven Acura 3.2TL for 3 years, I chose Baleno
Friendly mod Samurai sailed exactly the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
It is the car in 15-20 lakh segment that has a great mix of it all: decent engine mated to an excellent DSG gearbox, great handling, excellent interiors and loads of features on the L&K.
Not to mention, the DSG makes the car quicker than its power-to-weight would have you believe. I'd rate this slushbox better than that in the 5 series or E Class too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 16:14   #23
BHPian

[quote=danc;1195487

Lurker, I know what you mean, My wife suggested 8, 800's in different colors in the same spirit!

Best Regards,

Danc[/quote]

Hahahaha! that IS funny! congratulations on an excellent purchase, we have one in our family and am happy to report that its been trouble free so far!

Not relatively trouble free..completely trouble free..TOUCHWOOD!

Look forward to some nice pics..cheers!
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:14   #24
BHPian

[quote=danc;1188385]Thanks a lot for your wishes,

Am a bit concerned by the 70% problematic comment by GTO, but hey, Ive already taken the plunge and only hope for the best. I plan to keep the car for 3 years and hopefully it will survive till then!

Danc, Congratulations on your buy, a real smart looking car to drive.

Don't worry too much about the problems encountered by other owners, as you have already invested in this car it would be wise to enjoy the ride and leave the rest of fate. And as GTO said we all have best wishes for your purchase and hope your car falls in the 30% category.

On tip (From what I have heard) - Need to be careful while driving in rains. One of my friend owns a Skoda Octavia and he had his turbo engined jammed and the service center guy told him that one needs to be careful while driving in the rains especially on potholes filled with water or water clogged roads as the turbo tends to suck this water into the engine consequently jamming the engine. Not sure if this holds good for all turbo engines or just Octavia. Just thought to share with you.
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Here is something about the DSG box I read about on the net. The dealer should have said something about this to you, but here goes.

With normal automatics, you just keep your pedal on the break waiting at a red light. With a DSG, you must shift to neutral at anything but the shortest stops. This is because the clutches are held at near holding point and the 'box will break if you treat it like a slushbox. Be warned.

@sant, that holds true for any engine, turbo or not. Water in the intake equals hydrostatic lock equals massive engine damage.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not to mention, the DSG makes the car quicker than its power-to-weight would have you believe. I'd rate this slushbox better than that in the 5 series or E Class too.
In kick-down mode, the car shifts like a bike (well, almost)! It almost never seems to flounder for a gear, from what I have seen when my client was proudly demonstrating the DSG to me.

Had it not been for all the problems of owning a Skoda, this car would have been my dream car (with a 150 bhp engine, if possible. ).

P.S. He has done 35-40 k kms in two years or so and he has had no issues except AC compressor (or condenser) replacement when he hit a dog. (Continental took almost 3 weeks to do that it seems.). And the DSG clutch seems fine so far.

Last edited by architect : 4th March 2009 at 17:49.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Hahahaha! that IS funny! congratulations on an

Not relatively trouble free..completely trouble free..TOUCHWOOD!
That seems like a rarity if I look at the number of issues being highlighted on this forum itself. This gives me confidence that I will survive! Thanks a lot.

[quote=santsharan;1198996]
Quote:
On tip (From what I have heard) - Need to be careful while driving in rains. One of my friend owns a Skoda Octavia and he had his turbo engined jammed and the service center guy told him that one needs to be careful while driving in the rains especially on potholes filled with water or water clogged roads as the turbo tends to suck this water into the engine consequently jamming the engine. Not sure if this holds good for all turbo engines or just Octavia. Just thought to share with you.
Yes, I did see some doubts being raised on the performance when laura gets wet (No pun intended, even if my mother tongue is Punjabi ), Thanks for the caution and I sure will be careful.

Best Regards,

Danc
Old 4th March 2009, 17:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
(No pun intended, even if my mother tongue is Punjabi )
Best Regards,

Danc
on the Punjabi part. Infact I try to pronounce it the Punjabi way. Ha Ha Ha
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 17:55   #29
BHPian

[quote=ImmortalZ;1199043]

With normal automatics, you just keep your pedal on the break waiting at a red light. With a DSG, you must shift to neutral at anything but the shortest stops. This is because the clutches are held at near holding point and the 'box will break if you treat it like a slushbox. Be warned.

quote]

Thanks a ton for that, This clearly displays the power of collective knowledge and experience which the members of this forum have access to! Of course the dealer didn't tell me about this.

I have put in 1700 Kms so far and on my stops I have been shifting to P and lately to N. Though in 25% cases I would have kept it at D, hopefully it would not be an issue.

Thanks again,

DanC
Old 5th March 2009, 01:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Alloy + tyre upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How about a simple alloy + tyre upgrade then? They transform the look and onroad behaviour of the Laura to another level!
That sounds interesting.

What exactly do you recommend? A lower profile with bigger dia. rims or something else?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote