Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd March 2009, 14:54   #91
BANNED

Friends - Linea gives 4 Alloy Wheels & the spare wheel in not an Alloy wheel. What do you suggest? Should one replace normal spare wheel with purchase of new Alloy Wheel (is it possible)? or to continue using spare wheel only temporary & change it immediately back to the Alloy when the tyre goes flat?
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:49   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Friends - Linea gives 4 Alloy Wheels & the spare wheel in not an Alloy wheel. What do you suggest? Should one replace normal spare wheel with purchase of new Alloy Wheel (is it possible)? or to continue using spare wheel only temporary & change it immediately back to the Alloy when the tyre goes flat?
I have stuck with the steel wheel given by the manufacturer. One reason is that the 'belly' of the steel wheel gives usable space for storing the tool kit, jack etc. Another, is that I did not want to spend a lot of money on a wheel that I would use sparingly (if at all). In fact, when I go in for a new set of tyres, I have always bought only 4 tyres and used the best of the outgoing set as a stepney. After all, a penny saved is a penny earned!

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 22:15   #93
BANNED

Default Linea Spare wheel not Alloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have stuck with the steel wheel given by the manufacturer. One reason is that the 'belly' of the steel wheel gives usable space for storing the tool kit, jack etc. Another, is that I did not want to spend a lot of money on a wheel that I would use sparingly (if at all). In fact, when I go in for a new set of tyres, I have always bought only 4 tyres and used the best of the outgoing set as a stepney. After all, a penny saved is a penny earned!

Cheers,
What do you suggest in following 2 scenarios?

- When tyre (on Alloy wheel) goes flat, you replace with non-alloy spare wheel. Should you continue with combination of 3 Alloy & 1 non-alloy running till next puncture?

or

- Once Alloy wheel tyre is repaired back with puncture sealed, replace it with non-alloy imdtly & put non-alloy again as spare. This means spare will almost remain non-used & new.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:01   #94
Senior - BHPian

Default Repair & Replace ASAP

Quote:
What do you suggest in following 2 scenarios?

- When tyre (on Alloy wheel) goes flat, you replace with non-alloy spare wheel. Should you continue with combination of 3 Alloy & 1 non-alloy running till next puncture?

or

- Once Alloy wheel tyre is repaired back with puncture sealed, replace it with non-alloy imdtly & put non-alloy again as spare. This means spare will almost remain non-used & new.
Repair the puncture as soon as you possibly can, put the stepney back in the dickie and run all 4 alloys. I am guessing that it is not healthy to have one wheel with different specs from the other three.

Yes the spare will not be used much. This should not pose any issues as it can continue to do duty even after you replace the four tyres.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:27   #95
BANNED

Thanks Raavendrra. This would help. Have booked Linea Emotion Pack Pterol Flamenco Red & awaiting delivery in Apr 1st week.
Old 31st March 2009, 15:24   #96
BANNED

Quote:
The quoted part is what you must do.

Further to add, it is a common practice in the US for cars to come with a half sized spare wheel (the spare tire will not even be a full size one - it will be narrower). My Toyota Corolla in the US had the same. That spare wheel is meant to be used only in the interim, till you get your puctured tire vulcanized.

In India, most car companies still provide a full sized spare wheel.
sdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:31   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
The quoted part is what you must do.

Further to add, it is a common practice in the US for cars to come with a half sized spare wheel (the spare tire will not even be a full size one - it will be narrower). My Toyota Corolla in the US had the same. That spare wheel is meant to be used only in the interim, till you get your puctured tire vulcanized.

In India, most car companies still provide a full sized spare wheel.
Thanks. You are right. In India mostly they give full sized spare wheel, hence its difficult to digest what prevents them to give 5th wheel (spare) also alloy.
Old 5th April 2009, 11:18   #98
BANNED

Looks like the Tata Nano too will come with a narrower spare wheel!
sdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 04:54   #99
BHPian

Talking hey

Quote:
Thanks. You are right. In India mostly they give full sized spare wheel, hence its difficult to digest what prevents them to give 5th wheel (spare) also alloy.
cost!!!!

drive safe and stay sane dude.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 12:12   #100
BHPian

Default Re: Yet another FIAT LINEA....but its PETROL this time...!!!

Well its been 2 years and 21k km on the odo. Everythings been just fine but only till last month when the warranty expired. Sent the car to M/s VIVEK AUTOMOBILES for the AC upgrade and a complaint of some sound coming from the suspension. The AC kit was upgraded and one can easily feel the difference, but te noise from the suspension has increased.
I was told that it was the Link Rods which need to be replaced but they didnt have the parts and that i would be charged as the warranty was over although i still hav extended warranty, I was told that these parts are not covered.
So tried my luck at M/s RAMA MOTORS and this time i was told that its the shocker mounting that is faulty n needs to be replaced but again not in warranty. But even they didnt have the parts and was told to wait. So i tried SANYA MOTORS, they also diagnosed it as shocker mounting fault but they too even didnt have the parts as they are about to close shop, but the service advisor told me that they already have a circular from FIAL to replace the faulty shocker mountings and link rods in any car that experiences this problem FOC.
He guided me to one Mr. RAVI AGGARWAL from FIAT. So i called him and he assured help and told me to contact ELEGANT MOTORS. But the parts were still not available and they were notsure wather it would be charged or replacd FOC.
So shot a mail back to Mr. Ravi and FIAT on 14th March. But till date have got no reply.
Please guide me as to what to do, because the noise is becoming unbearable now i dont think its fine to drive the vehicle in this condition.
Also if there are any higher authorities in the FIAT management that any of the members know might be of help .
ntranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 01:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is that while you follow up the case of FOC replacement with the company, keep tracking one ASC (like Elegant) who will take the trouble of ordering the part and keeping it for you.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 16:26   #102
BHPian

@ntranced - I got the link rods in my Linea changed FOC under warranty from Oberoi Motors in Noida, about 3 weeks ago. Its a new workshop and they seem to be well equipped with spares. Maybe they might be able to help you.
ghost_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 11:00   #103

JUst Short of finalizing on a Fiat Line. Pls guide to the mileage and any other specific issues faced.
Bengal Bonding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 12:36   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
@ntranced - I got the link rods in my Linea changed FOC under warranty from Oberoi Motors in Noida, about 3 weeks ago. Its a new workshop and they seem to be well equipped with spares. Maybe they might be able to help you.
Yeah got mine replace from OBEROI as well and that too FOC. Mr.Rajgopalan is a very friendly and genuine person,he refilled the gas for AC too FOC as the valve was loose when retrofitting was done at VIVEk but he accepted it as FIAT's mistake and did the needful. Recently also got shocker mounts replaced under extended warranty.SO far SO good. Highly recommend OBEROI Cars in delhi and NCR.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Bonding View Post
JUst Short of finalizing on a Fiat Line. Pls guide to the mileage and any other specific issues faced.
I get a constant 10-11 kmpl with AC on all the time and 50% in bumper to bumper traffic. There were many niggling issues but i guess 90% have been ironed out in the new batch of cars after customer complaints!