Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:58   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai ( Borivali )
Posts: 328
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Honda City maintenance cost

Dear Bhpians,
I am getting Honda City 1.3 @ 2.25 lakhs, its 1998 model , 85000km driven, Mumbai registered , 2nd owner, took test drive, she drives well ( but interior needs to be clean, seat cover needs urgent replacement ), my question it is good deal ? and how much maintenance will this vehicle need in future ( considering it 85k on Odo now and heard that spares are very costly comparing to my little zen ) per month apart from fuel ,( I am expecting 11 km F.E ) ?, currently I own Maruti zen 2003 model and running is 60km / day ( can afford very happily ). Also will you guys suggest City on CNG ?

Regards,
Jitendra

Last edited by nicejits : 2nd March 2009 at 16:03.
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,963
Thanked: 4,877 Times
Default

No routine maintenance costs at all.
Considering 85k kms driven, you need to check the following:
-brakes
-timing belt
-suspension
-engine mounts
-fuel pump (no need to check, but maybe an issue in future).

that's about all.

Personally, for a 1998, type 1 old honda city (OHC) and a 1.3 as well, i think it is overpriced by 60-70,000 bucks atleast (specially for a 2nd owner - you will be third!). You can get a type 2, 1.5exi 2000 model, (2nd owner) for the same price.

EDIT: you have not mentioned the general condition of the car. Body work, paint, etc required or not?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 2nd March 2009 at 16:11.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

2.25L for 1998 1.3l OHC in Bombay is a lakh more than the real price specially since you are saying that the interiors are bad & the seats desperately need new covers. Please look for a better car & a better deal.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:22   #4
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai ( Borivali )
Posts: 328
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

i guess i shd look for better car, also can you help me to understand how much costly spares will be in comparison with Zen ? also can i expect 11 kmpl FE in city ? and can i consider running this baby on CNG ( i heard that CNG will cost me 50k.)

Last edited by nicejits : 2nd March 2009 at 16:23.
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,963
Thanked: 4,877 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
i guess i shd look for better car, also can you help me to understand how much costly spares will be in comparison with Zen ? also can i expect 11 kmpl FE in city ? and can i consider running this baby on CNG ( i heard that CNG will cost me 50k.)
Spares is not a problem. Ofcourse honda would be more expensive compared to a zen but not prohibitively and there are always local made ones for lower costs available. You can even find spares in chor bazaar.

Try to find a 1.5exi. It has a gem of an engine. And don't plonk in a CNG, use it as it is and rev the engine and enjoy the peppiness! As i read somewhere... LIVE TO DRIVE!!!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:48   #6
BHPian
 
loving_alaap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 808
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

2.25 lacs in Mumbai is a bit more price.

1.5 - 1.7 lacs is a reasonable price for it.

As its a OHC, dont even think of having niggling issues or any annoying problems (like Maruti).

It will be a rock solid car, with years of running left.

As its a type-1 OHC, all the parts are supposed to be original (best quality).

So, yes as Tejas mentioned, get the car cheeked by a known expert mechanic.

U will enjoy the car but do negotiate for price.

Do think for an CNG if you intend to keep the car for at least 3-4 years.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:50   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

OHC maintenance is not a nightmare even if it is not comparable to zen. parts and aftermarket are quite easy and relatively cheap. for ex, OE exhaust replacement costs a bomb, while automech is quite cheap and reliable. t-bhp is best place to get advise on OHC parts and maintenance. 11 in city shouldn't be a porblem for a well maintained (or even bad) car.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:27   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

The price quoted to you seems to be a bit higher.
1.5 is the maximum price which I would buy that car at.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 19:09   #9
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

It seems someone started the thread I was about to start.
Thanks @nicejits

I'm planning for the same thing, get my trusty old Zen (2000 carb) replaced.
She is running fine with no problems close to 90k on the odo. (Service every 5k and she is spotless)

I feel the urge to move to a sedan and below are the facts.

Budget 3,00,000
Expected usage next 3-4 Years
20-25kms daily.

What I'd wish is a Vtec with around 30k on the odo.

Back to reality.

Choices

1) Type 2 Honda City. (Vtec, 1.5, 1.3 in that order)
2) Lancer (People say diesel is a better option ? Any logic in that ?)
3) Accent (I'm afraid to go for CRDi's, don't know if I should be )
4) Baleno (Bland look and the condition of many cars I've seen puts me off, yes I've heard its one hell of a good car. Indian Rally Yeah...!)

I need all the help I can get on this.

1) What price to expect ?
2) Which will be a better buy ? (running cost - service/spares etc)
3) I'm planning to get this from Chennai (my present location salt = corrosion ?)
4) Chennai guys, you know any good/reliable places to get a car ? (Even if there is a premium its fine, only thing is car has to be good.)
5) Since I'm an average Indian, I have to ask this -> What will the expected Fuel efficiency figures ?
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:02   #10
BHPian
 
ScorpMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DL/PB/HR
Posts: 359
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Dear Bhpians,
I am getting Honda City 1.3 @ 2.25 lakhs, its 1998 model , 85000km driven, Mumbai registered , 2nd owner, took test drive, she drives well ( but interior needs to be clean, seat cover needs urgent replacement ), my question it is good deal ? and how much maintenance will this vehicle need in future ( considering it 85k on Odo now and heard that spares are very costly comparing to my little zen ) per month apart from fuel ,( I am expecting 11 km F.E ) ?, currently I own Maruti zen 2003 model and running is 60km / day ( can afford very happily ). Also will you guys suggest City on CNG ?

Regards,
Jitendra
Price quoted to you is definitely sky high. You could get a well maintained 1.3 01-02 model for that much money. You could expect atleast 12-13 KPL from the 1.3 in city driving with a light foot.
If you can stretch your budget by a few thousand you might get a 1.3 DX 2003 model with beige interiors.
ScorpMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:25   #11
BHPian
 
ScorpMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DL/PB/HR
Posts: 359
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
It seems someone started the thread I was about to start.
Thanks @nicejits

I'm planning for the same thing, get my trusty old Zen (2000 carb) replaced.
She is running fine with no problems close to 90k on the odo. (Service every 5k and she is spotless)

I feel the urge to move to a sedan and below are the facts.

Budget 3,00,000
Expected usage next 3-4 Years
20-25kms daily.

What I'd wish is a Vtec with around 30k on the odo.

Back to reality.

Choices

1) Type 2 Honda City. (Vtec, 1.5, 1.3 in that order)
2) Lancer (People say diesel is a better option ? Any logic in that ?)
3) Accent (I'm afraid to go for CRDi's, don't know if I should be )
4) Baleno (Bland look and the condition of many cars I've seen puts me off, yes I've heard its one hell of a good car. Indian Rally Yeah...!)

I need all the help I can get on this.

1) What price to expect ?
2) Which will be a better buy ? (running cost - service/spares etc)
3) I'm planning to get this from Chennai (my present location salt = corrosion ?)
4) Chennai guys, you know any good/reliable places to get a car ? (Even if there is a premium its fine, only thing is car has to be good.)
5) Since I'm an average Indian, I have to ask this -> What will the expected Fuel efficiency figures ?

If you could get your hands on a OHC Vtec, 30-40k run, 02-03 model, nothing like it. But, do insist on a service record, as most of the OHC's in the used market have a tampered ODO readings.

1. I've no idea about Chennai, but in Delhi, the prices for a 02-03 OHC Vtec 60-80k run in good condition is around 2.75-3.25, 1.5 for 2.5-3 and 1.3 for 2.25-2.75. But, if the car is in pristine condition just dont let it go.

2.With a running of 20-25 Kms. daily, Lancer D and Accent CRDi does not make sense. Baleno is a great car, and in several areas it even beats the City. But, if you could live with its "Ugly" looks, and find one in prisitne condition for a fair price, go for it. Although, City would be most trouble-free of them all , If you get a decently maintained car.

3. & 4. No ideas about Chennai.

5. If you drive decently, with not a heavy foot on the gas, you could expect:
Vtec. 9-11 City 14-17 Highway
1.5 10-12 City 14-18 Highway
1.3 12-14 City 15-19 Highway
ScorpMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:58   #12
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Thanks @ ScorpMan

But the prices I see here are on the higher side.
So.. not really sure if Honda city dream will be realized.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 229 Times
Default

Very much high price being quoted as others have said. Keep bargaining down. 1.25L is more like it. You have to find local repairers and for parts, otherwise official (dealer) maintenance is very costly.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Average annual maintenance cost romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 82 10th July 2016 15:43
My Mitsubishi Cedia's maintenance cost VMG Technical Stuff 72 18th January 2014 20:37
TATA Safari TCIC Maintenance Cost ibm_jennifer Long-Term Ownership Reviews 90 16th October 2011 14:10
Maintenance cost - Maruti 800 Carb and MPFI models vinfriend Technical Stuff 9 17th November 2009 12:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks