Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th March 2009, 16:57   #31
BHPian

brilliant review vivek!! Very well written and with thorough profession.

Will i buy this car for 25 lacs??...NO

i'd rather settle for german refinement, finesse and solid build.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 19:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

After GTOs post I have come to realize that I am way off on my idea of what the 20L+ car pricing tables are like.

Quote:
8 lakhs more than the I-4 Automatic? You got to be kidding me. Get the manual (an enthusiasts choice) I-4 into the picture, and we are looking at a near 10 lakh price difference. What has Honda been smoking again?

Quote:
Will i buy this car for 25 lacs??...NO
Would anyone buy this car? I am sure we will see a first ownership report soon. Anyone on Forum already bought one?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 00:11   #33
BHPian

Excellent review Vivek. I was really waiting for an unbiased and practical opinion. You covered all the finer points too. Wonderful.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 06:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gotta hand it to Skoda for the way they positioned the RS. It carried a premium tag but had pretty much all the bells & whistles, along with a suspension capable of handling those extra horses.

We have to realise that more horsepower doesn't necessarily equate to a better driving experience. Its only when the car CAN HANDLE the additional power that its fun. I am willing to bet that a 150 BHP RS is more fun to drive than a V6 Accord.

The Accord I-4 remains one of the most sensible choices in that segment. And the V6 one of the stupidest.

Very true. Will it be that difficult to have a stiffer suspension setup for the V6, at least in the Inspire variant like they did with the RS. Cost cutting at work and still it costs a lot!

The RS will make you grin wider than the more powerful Accord V6. It may be low on bhpees, but it can deploy them all much better.

The pricing may be ridiculous but lack of competition should favour it. And like you said in your post, it will sell like the VTEC city and end up in the hands of people who will be wondering about their stock market investments from the rear seat. Having the most expensive variant should make up for their lack of passion for driving a V6 engined car. As for the enthusiast, he will need to tweak it up a bit.
vivekji05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 11:45   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Will it be that difficult to have a stiffer suspension setup for the V6, at least in the Inspire variant like they did with the RS. Cost cutting at work and still it costs a lot!
Not the question of cost cutting as it is of effort / attention to detail. A stiffer suspension shouldn't cost any more than one that is soft-tuner, if at all.

Quote:
The RS will make you grin wider than the more powerful Accord V6. It may be low on bhpees, but it can deploy them all much better.
Could be quicker around the track too. Especially one that has been remapped.

Quote:
The pricing may be ridiculous but lack of competition should favour it.
The V6' main competition will be the 4 cylinder car parked next to it in a Honda showroom. The one that looks identical and costs 8 lakhs lesser.

Quote:
And like you said in your post, it will sell like the VTEC city and end up in the hands of people who will be wondering about their stock market investments from the rear seat.
Some will buy, but the V6 will garner very dismal numbers. The Vtec's premium was about a lakh, that's a lot less than 8 lakhs! Like I said earlier, 8 lakh rupees for 90 more horsepower is a lot of money. You can get 100 horses AND a complete car for that kinda cash.

Quote:
As for the enthusiast, he will need to tweak it up a bit.
I think enthusiasts will look at other options. 25 lakhs for the Accord + 3 lakhs for tweaking = dangerously close to german territory!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 12:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hey GTO the price diffrential isn't just for 2 extra cylinders. Honda is going to harp on the VCM technology too. Prospective owners will be told about how thanks to VCM the V6 will give almost identical fuel efficiency to the I-4 but at a much better performance. To me, this explanation would work better if the V6 had visible extra features like sunroof and xenons but looking at the reverence Honda has in India, they may get away with it this time too. Thing is, most V6 buyers will be chauffer driven and will buy this only to boast on how they have the highest spec Honda Accord with the latest VCM technology which no other car in India has.

But, doesn't it feel like Skoda and Honda have switched places? Look at Skoda. Like Honda, even the Superb has superb technology. A first in India TSI engine mated to a 7 speed DSG gearbox but they aren't asking the sun, moon and the rest of the planets for that. Whatever Skoda has done in the past, their superb pricing is spot on and, well, SUPERB!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 12:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Not the question of cost cutting as it is of effort / attention to detail. A stiffer suspension shouldn't cost any more than one that is soft-tuner, if at all.

The bean counters at Honda will object to any big investment in engineering a new suspension just for one variant that wont sell in big numbers. The cost of the unit may be the same as the soft one, like you said. Yeah, it also takes attention to detail and a penchant for perfection to make a complete product.

Besides everyone is trying to reduce the number of models they sell in India. I'm happy they finally brought the Accord V6 here.
vivekji05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 15:14   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
I'm happy they finally brought the Accord V6 here.
I'm happy too! Solely due to the killer used V6 deals that will be available *soon* in the market. This thing is going to depreciate as quickly as a room heater does during Mumbai summers.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 16:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Look at it this way guys, in a few months time, you'l be able to get a 2nd hand 3.5 V6 for the price of a 2.4 I-4.

I though, am happy just to see this car being sold in India. Can't wait to test drive this beast.

shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 17:10   #40
BHPian

It's a cruiser anyways, not exactly meant to be thrown around. Should be fine in straight line and on the highways, but frankly for a bit more i'd rather get the 320d if i wish to really enjoy myself driving . The brand, the car, Handling, torque and the refinement. If i wish to sit on the back seat at this price point the 2.4 Or the new superb makes so much more sense. I don't quite know what Honda have been thinking these days. Increase in price of models all round.... ANCH is such a poor specimen specially from the Inside. The accord 2.4 was fine... but now it goes 2L more expensive, thats a 10% increase and gets it very close to the camry and bang in with the superb. That too when it comes with lesser KIt than both the models. Plus except from the A** P.o.v. The superb is just hands down so much the better car!
redeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 15:39   #41
BHPian

Default Wow

Great review Vivek. Glad to see such an honest and precise review.
First of all, I think in India we look at everything in the wrong light.
Eg:
1. Higher Megapixel=better camera.WRONG(there are a lot more things that contribute to a better camera. Sensor size,Lens,etc etc)
2. LCD TV with Hi def 1080p is best. WRONG (how many of the buyers who buy on the hi-def gimmick actually have content to watch in hi-def bar a few)
3. Cars. Higher horses/more cylinders=better performer. WRONG(faster maybe but not an enthusiasts vehicle)
I think the 6 cylinder Accord was made keeping in mind the western requirements where high speeds are a must on the highway.In many western countries V6's are like V4's here. Very common. So Honda introducing a V6 in USA or EU is not a big deal as it enables the car to stay at normal cruising speeds which are way higher than we have here.
In India the 6 cylinder almost takes the form of a Ferrari where everyone thinks that because it's a big engine or a V6 it's obviously faster/better.You need brakes/suspensions/steering/equal body weight distribution to do the maneuvers a Bimmer or a sports oriented sedan does.(The other day i took a very steep right turn at 90km/h and the 3 did it like the bend didnt exist, although it scared the hell out of my cousin lol.Would love to try this in the skodas/Accord)
Other than allowing the Accord to cruise at high speeds with ease I don't think there is much use for the V6 bar the rare acceleration that the driver might use to rub it in the face of Ikons / Maruti's/ BMW at red lights hehe.
BTW Abhinav the BMW's in India are not expensive to maintain at all if you can buy the service packages and the ride quality is great.I still don't understand what people mean when they say that ride quality is very Stiff.I
morphin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:24   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
I think the 6 cylinder Accord was made keeping in mind the western requirements where high speeds are a must on the highway.In many western countries V6's are like V4's here. Very common. So Honda introducing a V6 in USA or EU is not a big deal as it enables the car to stay at normal cruising speeds which are way higher than we have here.
Allow me to put in a slight correction. This model of the Accord is specifically made for the United States - its largest market in the world (annual sales 5,00,000+ Accords) - where the cruising speeds are anywhere between 55 - 90 mph. STRICTLY enforced by state troopers. The I-4 Accord is also capable of comfortably cruising at 55 - 90 mph.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 12:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Allow me to put in a slight correction. This model of the Accord is specifically made for the United States - its largest market in the world (annual sales 5,00,000+ Accords) - where the cruising speeds are anywhere between 55 - 90 mph. STRICTLY enforced by state troopers. The I-4 Accord is also capable of comfortably cruising at 55 - 90 mph.
Its acceleration thats not enforced. But I do think that expectation from a family sedan (in terms of performance) with a V6 is a little over. Only next to the pricing that they have on it. Even if they had carried forward their U.S pricing, it would still be about 3 or 4 lakhs more.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 12:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But I do think that expectation from a family sedan (in terms of performance) with a V6 is a little over.
So whats the USP of the V6 Accord? Why should I buy a Accord V6 at Rs.8 lakhs more then the I-4?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I'm happy too! Solely due to the killer used V6 deals that will be available *soon* in the market. This thing is going to depreciate as quickly as a room heater does during Mumbai summers.

That would be a complete steal. I would be ready with my cheque book then.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote