Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th March 2009, 22:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Like the curves of i20 ! Looks neat. How much did the leather seats cost??

@Joslicx- Congrats !
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 22:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats.

Best hatch hatch around. Do post more pix and about 'i got it all' options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This probably the best fluid lines design from Hyundai. I like the look. As Ajit says with bigger wheels, it looks really hot.
Thats a rare compliment
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 23:58   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your new car.

Waiting for more detailed review with pictures.
You have indicated the back seat leg room is OK. How is the back seat leg room compared to swift??
Ram_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 00:29   #19
BHPian

Finally a review of i20. Congrats for the car.
Please post the FE figures and take care of the engine in run-in period.
rapidsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 01:43   #20

Thanks for all the replies! I'd be happy to answer questions for you. Take my advice with a pinch of salt though - I'm probably not as knowledgeable on automobiles as most of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Where is the parking sensor display?
The parking sensor display is on the dashboard, on the left side, next to the pillar. I will take some more pictures soon and upload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
You have indicated the back seat leg room is OK. How is the back seat leg room compared to swift??
Its definitely more. I've sat in a Swift, with a driver who's 5' 4", and the legroom was OK for me. I'm 5' 10" and after adjusting the front seat, the backseat legroom is pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Like the curves of i20 ! Looks neat. How much did the leather seats cost??
I think it was 25K, but I'll get back to you on that one. I think it is a very good investment though - really makes the interiors feel luxurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I didnt get any freebies/discounts whatsoever! What about you?
Nope, no discounts really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Aha, Just what i was waiting for . An ownership review of the i20. Give us more details about the buying process , discounts etc.
Sure.
We were looking for a replacement to our Santro as a city car (while our SUV, currently a Scorpio, does duty for out of city drives). So we tested the i10, Fabia, SX4, City, and looked at the Linea.
The most important things for us were:

1) Nice interiors. Ironically, I liked the interiors of the smaller cars (Fabia, i20) better than the SX4 and City.

2) Solid build. Which translates to no rattles and shakes after a few years of use. Since the i20 is a new car, one can't vouch for how it will fare a few years from now. However, it does feel solidly built, and is made in India for the worldwide market. Had it been made here only for the price sensitive Indian market, they might have cut some corners to make it cheaper, and dent the sales of the Swift.

The car salesman, who took us for a test drive told me that after the ambassador (whose body is > 90% steel), the i20 has the second high concentration of steel (around 70-75%). All the other car in India have <50% steel. I found this really amusing, since I thought car makers were trying to use aluminum and the like that are both stronger and lighter than steel.

Nonetheless, I think the point he was trying to make was that it is a solid car. Also, I found something on "The extensive use of high tensile steel" in the i20 (google search). There might be a grain of truth in what he said.

3) Styling, road stance. This is the main reason why we chose the i20 over the i10. While the i10 is pretty spacious, has nice interiors, and is fun to drive with the 1.2 engine, we wanted something that looked a little bigger and more mature. The i10 looks a bit tinny imo.

4) Manouverability. Since this car is only for city use, smaller is better (though this conflicts with the previous criterea). The i20 seemed to offer the comforts of the Sedans, while being easier to park. and cheaper (2 Lakhs cheaper than a loaded SX4..)

Between the i20 and the Fabia, these factors led us to the i20
- Refinement. The 3 cylinder petrol on the Fabia is noisy - and has a high pitched whine. The i20 is really smooth.
- Skoda horror stories. While they could be the exception rather than the rule, we are not technically proficient enough to know if the dealer ever takes us for a ride. The Hyundai offered more peace of mind.
- Also since the i20 is made in India, spare parts should be more readily available and cheaper, compared to the Skoda that would have to import them (until more localization).
- Finally, the sales person put me off.
Which is a pity, since it's a really really nice vehicle, and all the owners on this TBHP seem delighted with it.

The Swift is a nice vehicle, but we were apprehensive after reading reports about rattles and general build quality. It's also a bit smaller and more cramped.

The Linea was too big from the outside, and not correspondingly as big as expected inside, and I thought the quality of the interiors (parts like the glovebox) was substandard.

I must mention that we were really looking forward to the Honda Jazz, after reading brilliant reviews all over. Alas, we didn't want to postpone our purchase till the Jazz launch.
tifosimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 01:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Best looking Hyundai ever. Too bad its a let down in the core areas - engine and handling.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 08:51   #22
BHPian

so finally a review of i20 on T-bhp, please post more interior pics as the seat covers look good, and how you got them for ?

@joslicx , congrats for booking it. Even I want to buy this car but, not in the financial conditions to go for it. You also post your experiences.

BTW, when I saw the car in the showroom I liked the seat fabric and I personally wouldn't have preferred to get them covered.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 09:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
so finally a review of i20 on T-bhp, please post more interior pics as the seat covers look good, and how you got them for ?

@joslicx , congrats for booking it. Even I want to buy this car but, not in the financial conditions to go for it. You also post your experiences.

BTW, when I saw the car in the showroom I liked the seat fabric and I personally wouldn't have preferred to get them covered.
Hi I have already put my initial test drive observations on the original i20 thread. I liked the short drive in the city, the brakes felt nice, steering was quite light for city drive (something like Honda city - reference here is my Alto Lxi that doesnt feel as light on lower speeds), gorgeous equipment list etc. Few things I didnt like were tinny build of the key fob, very firm (or hard) seats so I think a good cushioned seat covers are a necessity (I am thinking of Stanleys for my i20). I also didnt like the strange color of the interiors much (but some of the pics show biege also so are there two set of interiors for i20???)

I was also considering Fabia but strangely enough the Skoda people didnt bother to follow up with me after the test drive!!! This after I told them I had liked the test drive! (And it is partially true. I really liked the car - the way it was rock stable at 150+, gorgeous gear box, comfy interiors (better seats than i20 for sure) etc. But I am put off Skoda by so many horror stories seen on this forum. If they are so indifferent before the sale than what could happen later! Compare it to Honda - their sales rep used to call me every week after I test drove ANHC.

The initial buying experience here at Hyundai (Capital Hyundai, Sec 63 Noida) was a very professional experience however. The sales rep was eager to show me the car and arrange for a test drive on my visit to the showroom. (I preferred to visit the showroom rather than call the car home as then I could sit in other vehicles like Accent/Getz and compare space etc). I didnt book it same day as I was still in two minds (my first choice was NHC CVT but I couldnt get one here in Delhi - the ones available are all June 08 manufactured. Dont want to buy such an old car. I was still dithering between i20 and ANHC AT. Finally decided to go for i20 and ANHC lacks too many things for that price). Now that Jazz is coming than for a moment I also considered waiting for that but really I cant wait till June/July! How I wish Honda had not discontinued NHC CVT. Anyway finally decided to go for i20 Asta as it feels the best compromise for my needs (space, creature comforts) for 6 lakhs OTR. The final OTR price for Delhi registration is Rs. 6.1 lakhs. For UP registration it is Rs. 5.9x lakhs
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 12:06   #24

Quote:
I also didnt like the strange color of the interiors much (but some of the pics show biege also so are there two set of interiors for i20???)
I don't think there are two sets of interiors, but we put leather seats as an extra.

Quote:
I was also considering Fabia but strangely enough the Skoda people didnt bother to follow up with me after the test drive!!! This after I told them I had liked the test drive! (And it is partially true. I really liked the car - the way it was rock stable at 150+, gorgeous gear box, comfy interiors (better seats than i20 for sure) etc. But I am put off Skoda by so many horror stories seen on this forum. If they are so indifferent before the sale than what could happen later!

Now that Jazz is coming than for a moment I also considered waiting for that but really I cant wait till June/July!
Ditto! I really liked the Fabia, but was put off, and also couldn't wait for Jazz. Congratulations on the purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidsnail View Post
Finally a review of i20. Congrats for the car.
Please post the FE figures and take care of the engine in run-in period.
Thank you Will the instructions on run-in period be in the manual, or should I search TBHP for it?
I will try to get a FE estimate, but we drive pretty short distances... I wish the trip computer estimated the FE, like in the Fabia.
Old 15th March 2009, 14:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Best looking Hyundai ever. Too bad its a let down in the core areas - engine and handling.
I dont think handling is an issue as much as that of other cars like i10, Getz or swift. It has got a very taught frame and excellent tyres and brakes. Suspension is also not soft sprung. Steering is precise and hardens with speed. Am I missing anything in the handling part...? Please advice...

Engine do feel a bit breathless on highways, but that's not a big issue for those who drive in the city most of the time.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 16:30   #26
BHPian

Its obvious Hyundai is not targeting the performance enthusiasts with the i20, in its current avatar it meant for a more sedate audience, however with a good engine this car will be blast like the Getz CRDI, only better and safer. Its got excellent build quality and a solid feel to it, and on driving it one does feel it will be stable and composed at high speeds.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 16:41   #27
BHPian

Nice and objective review tifosimagic!

Does the i20 feel underpowered with the 1.2l engine? Also how's the handling?

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase of the great hatch!

How do you personally feel the power of engine when all the seats are occupied?

Drive safely.
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 18:02   #29
BHPian

please clarify, can three person's sit comfortably in the back of I20?

can u post some pictures of the back seat and the knee space avilable along with pictures of the boot.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 23:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Nice and objective review tifosimagic!

Does the i20 feel underpowered with the 1.2l engine? Also how's the handling?

Cheers,
Thanks. The handling is really good. The car is wide, and pretty heavy, so it feels well planted on the road. I like the steering, and the car feels firm - all though many on this forum complain that the steering is too light.

Is it underpowered? I haven't pushed it. For city use, it's pretty zippy. Much much better than our old Santro (which is an unfair comparison I guess). But it requires frequent gear changes to be happy. If you shift up at too low a speed, or rev the engine too hard, it's not very forgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
please clarify, can three person's sit comfortably in the back of I20?

can u post some pictures of the back seat and the knee space avilable along with pictures of the boot.
I just took a picture (from my cellphone - so it's kind of grainy) of the rear seat. The front left seat is all the way back, and the the front right seat is set for a 5' 10" driver. There is a minimal hump (for the lack of a better word) in the middle of the rear floor, so that makes it much nicer for the center rear passenger.

Next time I have a full passenger load, I will observe and revert to you on this!

Finally, today I played around with some of the features of the Asta. With most, you don't realize you need them until you have them
The steering wheel audio control, electric outer rear view mirrors, seat height adjustment (especially! even for an average sized individual, its nice to find the perfect adjustment). The buttons and knobs in the center console are extremely well finished.

Clarifying my earlier complaints about visibility, my main gripe is that the front A pillar on the drivers side is a big blind spot.

The ride - on uneven, slightly bumpy roads the car is well composed. On speedbreakers and potholes, the suspension makes feel harsh.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai I20 Asta Initial Ownership Report-i20-back-seat.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Asta Initial Ownership Report-i20-side-rear.jpg