Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 11:57   #46
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

tifosimagic,

Congrats on your buy! I know this comes a little late, but I went through your thread only today as a friend of mine is contemplating on buying the i20.

Since you have used the car for a few months now, can you give me an update on what the maintenance has been like?

Thanks,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 07:17   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Congrats dude!

btw can one replace the built in HU with an aftermarket one?
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:33   #48
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 316
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Can you comment on ICE quality. What's the make if you know?

Thanks.
niv26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 23:53   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Took delivery of my Berry Red 1.2 Asta today! Exactly 32 days after first booking. Review and Buying experience coming up over the weekend.

I'm planning to post pics of the MID since that is one area that has not been extensively covered in the other ownership threads. Please send any requests for specific areas for me to cover.

Thanks to i20 owners on this forum (Bala_R, Sawyer, appuchan, tifosimagic and others) for their reviews so far! All these inputs have been very useful.
gadiyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 09:18   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

I wonder how i missed this thread. Congrats on the car. Blue looks simply awesome on the i20. With bigger rims in golden, it'll look like the Subaru impreza hatch! Pls post some better pix.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 14:58   #51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiyar View Post
Took delivery of my Berry Red 1.2 Asta today! Exactly 32 days after first booking. Review and Buying experience coming up over the weekend.

I'm planning to post pics of the MID since that is one area that has not been extensively covered in the other ownership threads. Please send any requests for specific areas for me to cover.

Thanks to i20 owners on this forum (Bala_R, Sawyer, appuchan, tifosimagic and others) for their reviews so far! All these inputs have been very useful.
Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing about your experience, and seeing some nice pictures hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Can you comment on ICE quality. What's the make if you know?

Thanks.
ICE quality I think is great for a stock unit. In conjuction with the USB port, with a great interface, its a really good system. Bass is Ok, mid and higher ranges are very good. I don't know the make, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Congrats dude!

btw can one replace the built in HU with an aftermarket one?
Err, what is HU? I'm quite clueless when it comes to car acronyms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
tifosimagic,

Congrats on your buy! I know this comes a little late, but I went through your thread only today as a friend of mine is contemplating on buying the i20.

Since you have used the car for a few months now, can you give me an update on what the maintenance has been like?

Thanks,
gpa
We've had one service so far. I don't know the cost, but routine - nothing special. Now however, the rear right door doesn't open from inside. Will have to get that checked in the second service. (Unless it's some kind of child lock that has been activated)

Sorry for the sparse posts, I don't spend much time in Bangalore, and consequently, with the I20.

Yesterday was the first time I felt the engine to be very strained. On the way to Bangalore airport (NH7) with 4 people plus luggage plus AC on, and I think a slight uphill, the acceleration was pedestrian past 60 km/h. On the way back with 2 people, and probably the slight equivalent downhill, the car still felt spirited at 100-120. Quite a contrast.

We are nearing 2000km with the car. No niggles apart from that rear door. Realized the tire pressure had become pretty low, which adversely affected handling - so filled that up yesterday as well.
tifosimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 16:44   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosimagic View Post
Now however, the rear right door doesn't open from inside. Will have to get that checked in the second service. (Unless it's some kind of child lock that has been activated)
This is most probably due to the child lock, especially if you are able to open it from the outside and not the inside.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:10   #53
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please read our rules. No more than 2 smilies per post allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Conratulations on your new ride. I liked the interior brown beige combo too. The Electrically foldable ORVM's must be a cool feature to use, not present even in cars a segment higher. Enjoy your car and keep on giving your feedback on how the car pulls with the 1.2 kappa.
The electric foldable ORVMs like everything have a downside as well - you cant open/close them individually which is a pain for many people who dont use the Left side ORVM while driving

But what is really neat about the car is that the Power Windows,Cigarette Lighter and the ORVMs can be operated for x seconds after turning off the ignition.No more turning on the ignition again when we forget to turn up the windows

As far as performance goes - this unit is trully a city car and a true Hyundai. Zippy and nimble at low speeds and extremely lathargic at 80+
Nothing a few performance mods cant fix, but dont expect it to outgun a swift ddis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on your i20. The first one on the forum I think. Its a good looking car too. I would like to know your comments on the engine. How underpowered does it feel?
The 1.2 Kappa unit lives up to its city engine rep - given the weight of the i20 it does a pretty good job.

The car feels pretty agile and nible at city speeds but as the needle crosses 80 the engine runs out of breath. This is a car for cruzing not ripping but IMO it goes with the image of the car. This is a status car not a drivers car.

But the CRDi power plant is really good and quite different from the DDIS. It doesnt quite have the "push you back in your seat" surge of the DDIS but the torque is available on every gear which makes it fun to drive at high speeds - no more downshifting to overtake that annoying truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on your i20. The first one on the forum I think. Its a good looking car too. I would like to know your comments on the engine. How underpowered does it feel?
The 1.2 Kappa unit lives up to its city engine rep - given the weight of the i20 it does a pretty good job.

The car feels pretty agile and nible at city speeds but as the needle crosses 80 the engine runs out of breath. This is a car for cruzing not ripping but IMO it goes with the image of the car. This is a status car not a drivers car.

But the CRDi power plant is really good and quite different from the DDIS. It doesnt quite have the "push you back in your seat" surge of the DDIS but the torque is available on every gear which makes it fun to drive at high speeds - no more downshifting to overtake that annoying truck

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2009 at 12:39.
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11th December 2009, 12:25   #54
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Saw one today with 17" wheels, it looked hot, Shame about puny engine
17" wheels is that ok considering the stock size is 14". I wonder what it would do to the handling and ride of this car not to mention the speedo error. But if it works, man how amazing would that look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This probably the best fluid lines design from Hyundai. I like the look. As Ajit says with bigger wheels, it looks really hot.
Totally agree, but wait till you check out the new Sonata thats been released in the European market [drool!!]. Move over ANHC/Civic, there is a new stud in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Congrats on your new car.

Waiting for more detailed review with pictures.
You have indicated the back seat leg room is OK. How is the back seat leg room compared to swift??
I went for a TD with 3 buddies all of whom are 5'10" plus. I'm about 5'11" and had the seat all the way back. The leg-room was just about enough, which is quite good. The Indica Vista is definetely the segment leader when it comes to space but the i20 comes in a close second.

The rear seats seem to be sunk in a lot more than most cars so the passengers do feel slighty detached from the world but shoulder to shoulder room is quite decent.

PS: Just in case you were wondering, the rear legroom is much much better than the swift and the grande punto both of which are really cramped up at the back - especially the punto.

Note from Mod: Please use the Edit button to add information to your post if posting withing 15 minutes of the previous post

Last edited by Stratos : 11th December 2009 at 12:41.
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:49   #55
BHPian
 
Safin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
The electric foldable ORVMs like everything have a downside as well - you cant open/close them individually which is a pain for many people who dont use the Left side ORVM while driving
Is that the case?? I thought they could be used individually and only manual folding of OVRMs was not possible
Safin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 18:43   #56
BHPian
 
AdrenalinJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 133
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
Is that the case?? I thought they could be used individually and only manual folding of OVRMs was not possible
Nope - you can "Adjust" the ORVMs individually but you cannot "Fold" them in/out individually.
AdrenalinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 20:48   #57
BHPian
 
cossack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Congrats dude. Quite a good looking car.

I also booked one (Asta version only) for myself today. There is a waiting time of 4-5 weeks. The dealer has promised me delivery by last week of April. Lets see.

I didnt get any freebies/discounts whatsoever! What about you?
I booked Asta 1.2L on 16th March with Advaith Bangalore and there's no news on the estimated date (the sales guy had promised to tell 10 days in advance about the arrival, so I reckon it'll be another month before I get mine.) How about you, did you get it yet?

Sometimes I feel this is artificially created shortage but you never know.
cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i20 Asta - The initial days jraj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 37 1st October 2016 13:02
Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report pachchu Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 115 9th February 2013 14:03
The Initial Take on My Hyundai i20 Asta ReckDriver Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 62 17th August 2010 16:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:40.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks