Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th August 2009, 23:24   #46
BHPian

nice pics reppy. I've booked the same color.

regarding yokohama, I had the same tyres when I was in the US.

I remember, these tyres have a rotation direction marked on the side of the tyres. it is because these tyres, when driven on wet surface, push the water out thru the tread (look at the tread design going from center to outwards on both the sides). if these tyres are mounted wrongly, then you'll be not utilizing the full advantage of the tread design in wet surfaces.

to know whether the mounting is correct or not, when you look at the tyres from the front, the tread pattern should resemble a V not an A. From the pictures it appears they are all mounted correctly, but keep an eye for this after tyre rotations or repairs in future.
pachchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:54   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwask82 View Post
Congrats reppy!! Nice colour choice . have a question for you - Can the rear seats accomodate 3 adults comfortably? Howz the pickup in 1st/2nd?
Awaiting pics

- Vish
I rechecked this fact for you - seating 3 is good and not a major issue since the hump due to the transmission tunnel is very less.

BTW, I've been test-driving the car aggresively on the highway and in some other open and twisty roads:

The response of the car is great with the 205/60 R14 and the tires hardly squeal under pressure - I am loving this car every minute I drive it! Drove on the highway for 1/2 an hour today and it responded really well to the steering - I think this tire upgrade converts the i20 into a new animal altogether - I think the CRDI guys will LOVE it!

Also want to add that I might just get a swap of alloys! A dealer is offering me 4 Apollo Accelere's SH81 14" alloys (matte black in color with a red or blue lip - I like the red) and a steel wheel for the spare in exchange of all 5 alloys and Rs. 4000 extra (effectively I'm getting 8k for all 5 alloys..the SH81 sell for ~12,000). What say all? should I take the plunge? Unfortunately I cannot spend more than 3.5k-4k and now I'm really tempted. Please help me decide..will having a steel wheel in the spare create any issue?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 00:24   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

hi
From where did you buy your alloy wheels and tires.
amidoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 09:23   #49
BHPian

Thanks Reppy for clarifying my query. Did u check the FE of your beautiful animal? After upgrading your tyres to 205/60 R14 specs, how is the Ground clearance? Does it scrap the speedbreakers when full loaded? Awaiting pics...

- Vish
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 12:07   #50
BHPian

@vishwask82

Nope no issues with ground clearance/bottoming out till now and already the car's gone through many potholes n speedbreakers. In any case ground clearance of the car has increased by 6 mm due to the tire swap (185 x 0.65 = 120 mm, 205 x 0.6 = 123 mm) though the difference is hardly seen.

Pics are already loaded - check out page 3 of this thread! Hopefully will put up a full thread once I've done alloy upgrades.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2009, 13:02   #51
BHPian

Thanks again Reppy..Apologies for missing the previous page.
Yoko tyres look awesome on your blue machine. Please do post some interior pics + alloys + FE report as and when you have it.

- Vish
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 01:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Hi Reckdriver, my car has arrived and blue is an awesome color on this car - thanks - I almost changed it to white until I saw your post!
A little late, but nonetheless Congratulations Reppy!
Am glad you liked the colour
And do keep us updated after all the upgrades.
ReckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 21:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Reck, man I've been seeing your car all over. Haha. Even at the Terence Lewis thing at Andrews! And that's where I saw the Samurai's in the dark for the first time. The more I see them, the more I like your choice.

Hey, have you sorted that seat rattling thing you mentioned due to the upsizing? And how's the ride with the 15" ? Have you had any warranty trouble due to the alloy+tyre upgrade? Hyundai claims it'll void my warranty.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 22:46   #54
BHPian

stunning, vibrant, nice, bright, nice color. This Blue I20 looks dashing ! Hyundais are trouble free, comfy cars(though their pricing factor dont always appear convincing !!!)

Congrats on your buy !!!

How about ICE'in , any plans or already completed ?

..later
Siva
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckDriver View Post
- Here is my main grouse. As I have upgraded to 15inch wheels (i don't know if this is the reason), the passenger seat tends to rattle a lot when empty. Its quite irritating. I asked the service centre to rectify this. They did work on it but the next day the rattle came back. Not happy with this.
There is a recall on several Hyundai's which has a problem with the passenger seat rattling (this is in the U. S). I own a Sonata and have not had this problem, but you can find plenty of stuff online on forums (hyundai-forums.com) etc. regarding this. I suggest if the rattling continues again you take it up with the dealer and ask to resolve it.

Great color and good choice of a car (I wish they had an arm rest for the front seats). Enjoy your ride.
inwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

I too booked a Sparkle blue i20 asta yesterday!

yours looks awesome! I went for blue because it kinda looked like iridescent blue!

anyways, regarding the tire upgrade(which I'm planning to do as soon as I get it delivered) will there be any speedometer reading errors etc??
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 21:36   #57
BHPian

Post 1 Year Ownership Report

Hey guys, a quick update on my sparkle blue 1.2 i20 Asta.

I have completed a year of ownership in March, and overall the experience has not been all too satisfying. In this period of time, I have covered a distance of 9500 Kms with 90% of the car being driven in the city.

Now the reasons for my dissatisfaction are as follows:

1. Since the 2nd month of driving the car, there used to be some noise coming from the steering column area of the car. Despite mentioning the problem to the Shreenath Hyundai workshop, over the first 2 periodical services, not much was done and the noise kept getting louder as soon as the car would hit even a small obstacle or pothole on the road. Finally I wrote a stern email to Hyundai about my problem and only after that was my whole steering column replaced. Finally, the noise and the problem has been eliminated.

2. The quality of the remote keys, was flimsy to say the least. My first remote key started to come loose after 3 months of usage, but I still continued using it. But one day, the sensor of the remote stopped working and soon enough, the key broke open into 2 halves. Ditto was the story of the second remote key. Again, after repeatedly telling the service personnel and the manager at the workshop and writing to Hyundai, did they now replace both the lock sets.

3. After the second service, there was a lot of braking noise while applying the brakes, and excessive carbon dust collecting on my alloy wheels. Again, the problem had arisen due to the negligence in service by Shreenath Hyundai.

Lastly, the chrome rings on A/C knobs, now have started to peel and look quite ugly. I take a lot of care of all my cars, and with this one, I don't feel the worth of the 6.5 Lakh Rupees that I paid. I am also an owner of a 6 year Hyundai Santro, but this experience with Hyundai and their workshop, has changed my mind about their work ethic.

Apart from spending a considerable time at the workshop, the car has been treating me well . Engine has been smooth, no more rattling and its been driving like a breeze now. So long...
ReckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update.
Can you share a rough estimate of the service costs thus far?
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 02:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Awesome wheels. The i20 is definitely one of my fav cars and i really love the interiors.

The wheels only add to the beauty and the tyres really go well with the car as well
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

How's the ride quality with the 15" alloys and 195/55 tires? Has it adversely affected the F.E too? How about the A/C in the car in this hot weather?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote