Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th May 2009, 15:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karthik

Thanks for this fantastic thread sharing your excitement, passion, anxiety, happiness (for high FE and driving experience) etc w.r.t. new linea. I also see you are very persistant w.r.t. the follow up on the issues.

I see that FIAT has now far more improved w.r.t. the the service. i see the typical case of accessories not being available. that too simple thing like mud flaps.
In my view it is a typical long chain problem FIAT (italy) --> FIAT (India) --> Tata Motors --> Dealerships . I hope localization would improve the situation.

i recommend you to go for under body (anti rust) coating as Chennai is humid and salty weather cause corrosion of the metal that too before the rainly season starts.

I wish that all your (small) probelms with linea end soon and you enjoy with your car for next few years.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:29   #167
Senior - BHPian

Thanx StarVegaBond.

Yes Aswin,
The clips are coming in Blue Dart Courier as said my works manager.
He got the consignment already.
So i'll go and fix these niggling problem this saturday.
If you are free,Can you accompany me?
After finish this work we will go and check 3M things.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 17:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are free,Can you accompany me?
After finish this work we will go and check 3M things.
Not a problem karthik. I can come. I have got some more information on the underbody treatment and sound deadening by some another company called dinitrol also ( It is offered at the tata-fiat dealership itself.). Have to check the authenticity. Will let you know about that too soon.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 17:04   #169
BHPian

Question One question reg. speeds above 120km/hr

Hi Karthik,

Wish that all your minor issues to get sorted out soon..

By the way i have a question.. I saw in one of your post that you had gone beyond 170km/hr... Thats terrific for such a heavy car will a relatively small motor..

How easily she went to those speeds?.. Until what speed does the car easily zoom?.. Is it 140 / 150 / 160??? Because beyond a particular speed.. you have to press her too hard to go further.. I mean the speedo will climb very very slowly..

I my swift I can easily climb until 150km/hr with 5 ppl on board..After thar it is a very slow process with full load.. Can Linea do that with ease or does she struggle to go until 150 km/hr from 120 km/hr..

Just curious to know about this since you had specified in one of your posts (in my thread) that overtaking cars that are already doing 120 is a pain.

Regards,
Sathya

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 19th May 2009 at 17:09.
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 17:14   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Hi Karthik,

Wish that all your minor issues to get sorted out soon..

By the way i have a question.. I saw in one of your post that you had gone beyond 170km/hr... Thats terrific for such a heavy car will a relatively small motor..

How easily she went to those speeds?.. Until what speed does the car easily zoom?.. Is it 140 / 150 / 160??? Because beyond a particular speed.. you have to press her too hard to go further.. I mean the speedo will climb very very slowly..

I my swift I can easily climb until 150km/hr with 5 ppl on board..After thar it is a very slow process with full load.. Can Linea do that with ease or does she struggle to go until 150 km/hr from 120 km/hr..

Just curious.

Regards,
Sathya
Yes i had done it in a flyover newly constructed between Kovilapati and Viruthu Nagar.While driving down i had reached 170+kmph.
it's a very long stretch and straight road with proper dividers.

In Linea MJD,you can easily reach 145+ after that it takes time to reach 170 odd.
Till 140+, you can't feel the speed after that the engine roars and feel little vibrations in steering wheel,But car is very well planted.
I was enjoying through out the trip to tirunelveli.
My Parents and Wife were enjoying the car and admired it.
It's a good family saloon.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:35   #171
BHPian

The route from Madurai-Viruthu Nagar-Satur-Kovilapatti (my home town)-Kayatar-Tirunalveli is awesome to drive.

btw karthik very good review and a fantastic car buddy. been Reading your thread as my bro is planning to buy linea/punto.

happy and safe driving

cheers

Rjeevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:08   #172
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Yes i had done it in a flyover newly constructed between Kovilapati and Viruthu Nagar.While driving down i had reached 170+kmph.
it's a very long stretch and straight road with proper dividers.

In Linea MJD,you can easily reach 145+ after that it takes time to reach 170 odd.
Till 140+, you can't feel the speed after that the engine roars and feel little vibrations in steering wheel,But car is very well planted.
I was enjoying through out the trip to tirunelveli.
My Parents and Wife were enjoying the car and admired it.
It's a good family saloon.
Thanks Karthik.. Doing 140 with ease is good considering the weight of the car. It would have been better if it can easily manage 150 plus.. Anyway happy motoring!! i am also completely enjoying my car.. Planning for a TVL trip as well.

Have fun.

Regards,
Sathya
Old 20th May 2009, 09:43   #173
Senior - BHPian

While coming to office,i had a tit-tat-toe with an OUTLANDER.
The driver in OUTLANDER is like a maniac and he drove very insane.
I was in a very good mood.so i too played with him for 10 mts.
with Linea MJD,ha i was very much surprised that Linea easily coped with the speed of outlander.
But we have to keep her in 2000+ rpm.
The car is like a speedy rocket and the handling,Oh god,its AWESOME.
The drive was like playing computer game(Road Rash).
Finally my office came so i gave up.

Guys,
After this My love towards Silver streak increased like a mountain.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 20th May 2009 at 10:00.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:59   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Karthik.. Doing 140 with ease is good considering the weight of the car. It would have been better if it can easily manage 150 plus.. Anyway happy motoring!! i am also completely enjoying my car.. Planning for a TVL trip as well.

Have fun.

Regards,
Sathya
You can add Pete's Box to increase power (Bhp and Torque).
I too planned to install after 10 or 15K kms.
Definitely it will boost 15 bhp and 20+NM torque.
Check Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Old 20th May 2009, 10:19   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
You can add Pete's Box to increase power (Bhp and Torque).
I too planned to install after 10 or 15K kms.
Definitely it will boost 15 bhp and 20+NM torque.
Check Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Hi Karthik..

Even I had some fun with a Verna D today... I am aware that verna will kill linea in terms of power. But somehow I was able to maintain pace with verna through out the way..

By the way one point.. (I am a beginner in Diesel cars.. so pardon my ignorance)..

I felt that the car did well in 4/5th gears and it did not budge when I pressed the metal in 2nd as we do in petrol.. I used to take my swift until 90 in 2nd and beat the hell out of many other cars and Linea does not go any beyond 60km/hr in 2nd but does a fantastic job in 3rd/4th and 5th gears.. Is it the typical diesel style?

Specifically the pull from 80 km/hr in 5th gear was awesome (very quick, I reached 120km/hr) which my swift takes its own sweet time.. Have to change my driving habits to suit this queen.

By the way, when you are opting for Pete's tuning box let me know. I am also interested buddy.. Pls ping me your contact number in an email.. we can have a quick chat.. Happy motoring!

Regards,
Sathya
Old 20th May 2009, 10:32   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karthik..

By the way one point.. (I am a beginner in Diesel cars.. so pardon my ignorance)..

I felt that the car did well in 4/5th gears and it did not budge when I pressed the metal in 2nd as we do in petrol.. I used to take my swift until 90 in 2nd and beat the hell out of many other cars and Linea does not go any beyond 60km/hr in 2nd but does a fantastic job in 3rd/4th and 5th gears.. Is it the typical diesel style?

Specifically the pull from 80 km/hr in 5th gear was awesome (very quick, I reached 120km/hr) which my swift takes its own sweet time.. Have to change my driving habits to suit this queen.

By the way, when you are opting for Pete's tuning box let me know. I am also interested buddy.. Pls ping me your contact number in an email.. we can have a quick chat.. Happy motoring!

Regards,
Sathya
Yes this is because of short Gear ratio.(Turbo Lag instead)
It's a pain but somehow i used to now-a-days.
Usually i change gear from 1 to 3rd directly.
I use 2nd gear only in stop and go traffic i'll be always in 2nd gear without using accelerator i manage the pace of traffic.
Just try to change every gearonce you reach 1750+ rpm.
you can feel the momentum.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:29   #177
BHPian

I have a Magnum and dad has a Palio D. There was a problem in his Palio and the engine might have to be opened.

Now Palio is going to be sitting in garage for at least 7 -10 days and we have kind of lost confidence on it. I am hunting for a new car and was looking at Ritz/Swift and then i thought why not spend another 2.5L and go for a sedan. I was thinking about Verna and Linea. Though i Like Linea more as its a new car, well equipped and My dad is going to drive it so turbo lag is not acceptable. He struggles with my Magnum bcoz of turbo lag and is very comfortable with Palio 1.9 and previously owned Lancer Diesel. My problem is we are not very confident with Fiat again. I cannot sell my Palio as it does not have any resale value(its kind of written off) nor I can use it comfortably as i am already facing problem sourcing spare parts...

Does anyone have thoughts about it knowing Palio was equally as popular as Linea when it was launched. It also had wait period of 6 months and in couple of years it was washed out and hardly any Palios were sold.. Will I be doing a mistake by going with another Fiat?
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 14:08   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I have a Magnum and dad has a Palio D. There was a problem in his Palio and the engine might have to be opened.

Now Palio is going to be sitting in garage for at least 7 -10 days and we have kind of lost confidence on it. I am hunting for a new car and was looking at Ritz/Swift and then i thought why not spend another 2.5L and go for a sedan. I was thinking about Verna and Linea. Though i Like Linea more as its a new car, well equipped and My dad is going to drive it so turbo lag is not acceptable. He struggles with my Magnum bcoz of turbo lag and is very comfortable with Palio 1.9 and previously owned Lancer Diesel. My problem is we are not very confident with Fiat again. I cannot sell my Palio as it does not have any resale value(its kind of written off) nor I can use it comfortably as i am already facing problem sourcing spare parts...

Does anyone have thoughts about it knowing Palio was equally as popular as Linea when it was launched. It also had wait period of 6 months and in couple of years it was washed out and hardly any Palios were sold.. Will I be doing a mistake by going with another Fiat?
Extremely extremely relevent question. It still gives me butterflies in my stomach for going for Linea especially coming to know that Palio also was very popular when launched like Linea. Its a risk one has to take. Linea spares are not that hard to come by but also not available as easily as Tata's spares in Tata service station (fast moving spares may be available easily, slow moving spares still would have question mark). The bright side is Linea spares are heavily subsidised & almost 80% localised gives a comfort that non-availability may not be as severe as Palio spares.

I guess the key is how many cars Linea maintains to sell consistently MoM. If it maintains 1000 p.m. & above, spares availability would not be a major issue.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 23:12   #179
BHPian

Went and checked Linea. getting 20K discount with music system and ...

Is Linea doing well?
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 23:16   #180
Team-BHP Support

First you tell us, how is the Magnum doing ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote