Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th March 2009, 21:12   #1
BHPian

Default My first car - Indica Vista aqua TDi Infinity black

So, I decided I had to have a car. My parents said maruti 800. Then, over three months, i managed to convince my parents to get me an indica vista.

I TD'd the car a coupl o months back and then my friend's indigo to get a feel of the TDi engine and finally decided to buy the TDi ... mostly coz qjt was waay too expensive.

I went ahead and booked the car 3 weeks back and told the salesguy specifically that that I'll be conducting a thorough pre-delivery inspection before I take the delivery and I instructed him to call me as he recieves the car from the factory in pune.

He recieves the car today afternoon and gives me a call. Armed with team-bhp's PDI checklist, I promptly go to the stockyard to check the car. This is what I find.

1. The car is very very dirty. The reason given was that they recieved the car from the factory and that their internal PDI wasn't completed yet and that they'll be cleaning and oiling everything.
2. The rubber strip at the edge of the front windshield is in very bad shape and I was promised that it'd be fixed.
3. The odo shows 12 km. Is that normal? Because, from what I've been told, it's supposed to be a brand new car from pune which just arrived here... or maybe some1 took it out for a spin. But then, I guess 12 km isn't enough to cry foul about.
4. The Engine lid doesn't close with ease and it needs to be slammed shut really hard. Is that normal? Did any of you other vista owners have this issue when you first bought the car?
5. The wipers don't come and stop at the bottom when you switch them off adn they stop wherever they were. From my experience on cars, all wipers always settle at the bottom when you switch them off. The only to make them stop midway was to switch off the engine. Now, the funny part is that the salesman said it wasn't a problem. Now he drove down to the stockyard from the showroom in the showroom's vista. So, I go ahead and test the wipers on his car - they respond the same way!!! So, I show him the wipers on the swift i came in and he just says they're different cars. Now are the vistas like this or is there some sort of foul play going on?? Coz if it's abnormal, I'll refuse to take delivery unless he gets that fixed.

Everything else is as it should be.

I'll be taking delivery of the car in a couple of days. More reviews then. So, is there anything in my story that sounds fishy or deserves a second look at?? Appreciate your advice guys.
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 03:09   #2
BHPian

nukeblitz congrats!
vista is a roomy car inside and m sure you will enjoy it. diesel motor will take some time adjusting to but you will get the hang of it pretty soon.

1. 12kms on the odo should not be an issue. its fine.
2. engine lid not closing properly? are you talking about the hood? if yes then that can be sorted at the dealership before delivery. no problems.
3. wiper not stopping at the bottom of the windscreen. you have seen the TD car and its the same. so i guess it would be that way only. during the delivery ask the workshop guys if something can be done about it. i believe they can adjust it a little.

nothing major to worry about!
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 08:07   #3
BHPian

Congrats on a great choice and hope you have a smooth, painless delivery.
the odo reading is perfectly OK.
I'm sure other Vista owners can clarify about the wiper issue.
Get the engine lid (hood) sorted out - check out a couple of other vistas in their stockyard or the TD vehicle just to be sure.
BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 08:21   #4
BHPian

My friend bought a red Aqua TDi and he is really happy with it...It is really roomy and the engine is good for the city..

The wiper issue is not am sure abt but check out with some Vista owners,same abt the engine hood..I can also check this with my frnd...Will let you know...
joy_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 09:39   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase.

I hope you mean the engine hood doesn't lock when you release it from the position you are holding it. I guess that is not a problem. Once you drop the hood it doesn't lock completely. It just falls down to its position and you have to press it once in that position to lock it completely.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 09:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

about the rubber strip - beading problems are a universal issue on the vista. After plastics, I guess its the rubber tata needs to improve this time . if it causes leakage/gets loose, ask them to get it fixed.
About the hood - you do know how to close the hood right? lower the lid down to about 1 foot above the closed position, and let it fall down. it should lock itself.

About the extended warranty. beg borrow or lie to your dad , but get the 2+2 year extended warranty, unless you plan to do something that will void it.

When you go to take delivery of the car, the salesman will ask you to fill a satisfaction form, and tell you that its a formality/ask you to fill it before you get the car. Do not do so.Wait until you recieve the car , and are totally satisfied with it, and hand over the form only at the end. Tata scrutinizes this form very carefully, so if you rate anything low in it, they will get grilled for it, so they ask most folks to fill it up initially, where most people will give good ratings, take the form, and then deliver the car with some issues, and thats when things get ugly, but the customer is helpless by then.

So make sure you dont fill/hand over that feedback form until the car is in your hand and everything is as you want it/if there are unresolved issues, make sure they reflect on the form.Its just a form with 10~20 checkboxes , but it matters a lot. I've managed to get very good results by holding the form at ransom when taking delivery
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:12   #7
BHPian

1) The car would be dirty as its probably been standing at the company yard for a prolonged time. Its not an issue as it'll be cleaned and PDIed before delivery. Do check each nook & cranny for dirt pileup though.
2) 12km is ok. The final Quality Check at plant and the drive to the stockyard etc would account for that.
3) If you are refering to the hood, ask the service folks to sort it out during PDI. Again you'll have to check it before you take delivery
4) Ditto for the wipers
diesel_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:58   #8
BHPian

congrats on your new car friend. do post some pics. drive safe.
chipfoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. Vista TDi is catching up with the Quadrajet on the Forum.
Don't forget to post some pics.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Nukeblitz - The Vista is a very competent car and I'm sure you're going to have many miles of driving pleasure. You'll of course have to watch out for the teething troubles that seem to accompany all Tata vehicles, but I believe they've improved significantly on the Vista. Please do post some pics and a more detailed review once you've taken delivery and done some miles.

The wipers is really a curious issue. Do hope to hear from some other Vista owners regarding that.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 16:42   #11
BANNED

congrats nukeblitz,surely vista is improved quality from tata,wish you happy miles with her.Post her pics along with initial review.Hood needs to left down from couple of inches above its and it would automatically get locked, if its not ask the dealer to fix it,wipers my V2 indica doesnt struck in between so check out with dealer and with other vista;s too.Have a safe ride.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:53   #12
BHPian

Congrats from another fellow Vista TDi aqua owner. Mine is solar orange though.

About the bonnet being hard, even mine is hard and my boot lid is even harder. During the second service I am going to get it fixed.

Some Vista's have had these problems of door's/bonnet lid/ boot lid not closing properly, but you can get these fixed. Dont assume that they are normal just stress to the service guys to fix them.

Regarding the wiper my car when I stop the wiper it comes back to the normal position automatically. But If I switch off the ignition it will stay where it is. So get it rectified.

My car has done 4300 kms so far and I am very happy with it. It is quite powerful compared to petrol cars of similar size yet more fuel efficient and cheaper than petrol cars of its size and also FE is 14.5 in city traffic. What more could I ask for
I am loving it

Last edited by revhappy : 19th March 2009 at 18:01.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 18:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
about the rubber strip - beading problems are a universal issue on the vista. After plastics, I guess its the rubber tata needs to improve this time . if it causes leakage/gets loose, ask them to get it fixed.
Well, that clears that up. I'll be getting that fixed in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss
I hope you mean the engine hood doesn't lock when you release it from the position you are holding it. I guess that is not a problem. Once you drop the hood it doesn't lock completely. It just falls down to its position and you have to press it once in that position to lock it completely.
Quote:
About the hood - you do know how to close the hood right? lower the lid down to about 1 foot above the closed position, and let it fall down. it should lock itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer
Yes, I do know how to close hoods mostly coz i can't help opening the hood of every car i get my hands on and checkin out the engine etc. etc. I've dropped it from a height of approximately 10 inches. This is more than every other hood I've closed. Most close if you drop them from like 6-8 inches. Here, it gets half closed - sort of the way the doors get half closed if you don't shut them hard enough. And putting my entire weight on the hood didn't push it all the way down. I had to open the hood agian and then reshut it. I could shut it by throwing it down from the same height. And I did go and check the hood on the salesguy's car. It locked wothout any issues.
I just want to know if any of the other vista owners on the forum had similar problems when they got their vistas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi
wiper not stopping at the bottom of the windscreen. you have seen the TD car and its the same. so i guess it would be that way only.
I'm pretty sure it won't be like that. Hell, the 1995 model maruti 800 we had till a few years back didn't have that issue. It'll be like going a coupl o decades back in time. I think it was just my darned luck that the TD car had to have the same issue.
Again I just want to confirm with other vista owners to get this sorted out...

Quote:
About the extended warranty. beg borrow or lie to your dad , but get the 2+2 year extended warranty, unless you plan to do something that will void it.
Would love to... but , knowing my dad, that won't work out. Still though you commented on another thread that I can get the warranty upto 90 days after delivery of the car by paying the regular extended warranty charges. I could do that... but then I'm thinking of upsizing. And that will void the warranty anyway. I'm thinking of putting on 195 or 205, 15 or 16 inchers. Going from the default size of 175/65 R14s, I think the vista will be handle the low profile 16s without too much of a decrease in ride quality because it's got a very soft suspension. Well that's my logic anyway. If you guys say its definitely otherwise, then 15s.
Or if the warranty is much more important than silly tyres, then I can just put 14 inch alloys and stick to the stock tyres. I specifically asked for bridgestones and got b250s - not the best tyre on the market but definitely acceptable for stock tyres. And the vista's PCD is 100 or 108? Heard both on the forum. I guess I'll find out once i get the car from the manual but can't help asking...

Quote:
When you go to take delivery of the car, the salesman will ask you to fill a satisfaction form, and tell you that its a formality/ask you to fill it before you get the car. Do not do so.Wait until you recieve the car , and are totally satisfied with it, and hand over the form only at the end. Tata scrutinizes this form very carefully, so if you rate anything low in it, they will get grilled for it, so they ask most folks to fill it up initially, where most people will give good ratings, take the form, and then deliver the car with some issues, and thats when things get ugly, but the customer is helpless by then.

So make sure you dont fill/hand over that feedback form until the car is in your hand and everything is as you want it/if there are unresolved issues, make sure they reflect on the form.Its just a form with 10~20 checkboxes , but it matters a lot. I've managed to get very good results by holding the form at ransom when taking delivery
Thanx a lot for that piece of information. Will make things a whole lot easier for me to make the salesguys bow down to my command

I know this is offtopic and probably stupid too...but how many posts does one need to make before he won't require a moderator to approve their posts?? Or does every post always need to be approved??
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 23:48   #14
BHPian

congratz for your car dude!how does the tdi engine feel in the vista?
how is the driveability?
you need to complete 50 posts before the moderators set you free
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 00:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

trust me , there has not been a single tata owner who regretted buying the extended warranty, because its has paid for itself for most of us. On the other hand , there are many who have regretted not taking it.

Apart from saying your dad is like that , you dont give any clearer reasons why not. could you please explain?

16" rims ? dude are you a rapper of some sort ? Do you want to physically hurt yourself/your family or your car? even 15" is overkill , and anything below 50 profile is not recommended on indian roads. a vista is not a bling mobile. any attempts to make it one will just look lame.If you want to pimp your ride , cancel your booking and get in line for a swift . I understand this is your first car, but curb your enthusiasm. Seriously.

The pcd should be 108

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th March 2009 at 00:07.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote