Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th March 2009, 17:52   #16
BHPian

Great buy buddy! I had the pleasure of checking out the car at the showroom that day. Its a real dream, though its pretty big for congested bangalore roads so do drive safe!
Even my verna crdi had a notchy gearbox when i bought it. Have them check the gearbox alignment and bleed the clutch. That resolved the issue in my car.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 00:07   #17
BHPian

a very good decision. waiting for the pics congratulations!!!
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 12:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Rangaraj! Great buy indeed!
The revamped interiors sure look good---I never quite liked the dash of the Embera. I'm sure the ICE is better in the Transform. With new features like twin AC controls and far more room both at the front and the rear, the Laura is going to be in trouble.
The Laura may still score on the handling front, though.
I think Sonata is the only car under 30 lacs where 5 tall and fat guys can travel long distance very comfortably.

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th March 2009 at 12:20.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 14:02   #19
BHPian

Hey super buy Rangaraj. Congrats and wishing you safe and pleasurable miles ahead . How are you going to keep the car's speed less than 100 when you have a 2.0 and 6 speed gearbox? Are you going to be the one who drives around or you going to get driven around by a driver?
PLEASE PUT UP PICS of the car as soon as possible.

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 26th March 2009 at 14:04.
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:33   #20
BHPian

Default Initial Report

Hi Guys.. Its been a little over a week since i brought the Sonata Transform home.

Color: The space silver color which i chose (they had only the shade cards and did not get to see the car till delivery) has a blue/grey tinge to it - quite decent and most practical after the white (dont like the beige).

Exteriors: Has nice clean lines, but quite standard and nothing modern about it, but certainly like it better than the new Honda shape (the previous model of Honda Accord looked much better). A good dose of chrome in various parts of the body, usual aerodynamic look. Has fog lights - both front and rear. Rear audio parking sensors (nothing visual), but none in the front. Projector headlights, but not HID - combined with the fog lamps, does a decent coverage of the road and especially the sides - quite necessary for bangalore roads with stuff left on the kerb that you usually dont notice. Door opening is a little tough - needs effort to pull the handle to open the doors. Boot closing and door closing needs a little bit of a push to close properly - quite a change from the Superb where the last bit of closure is automatic - similar to the mercs.. Ground clearance is much better than the Baleno and the Elantra (which the dealer loaned me for a week till the new car was delivered). Got a teflon coating and a premium quality sun film thrown in, besides mud flaps, extra mats (the car comes with a set of mats) and a rubber mat for the boot as well.

Interiors: The seats are beige Leather (hate the color, but no option) that dont match the exterior color of the car. Comfortable - sort of a lazyboy/ TV couch feel to it rather than the sports snug wrap around feel that the VW Jetta (premium model) / Skoda Superb provide. Comfortable though with the driver seat having 8 way adjustable controls with lumbar support. I am 6'2" and the gear lever and driving position is comfortable with the seat pushed back - dont feel the need to push it all the way back. Easy to get in and out without having to contort the body. Visibility is good, but as i had mentioned earlier, the wedge in the bonnet that moves towards the logo part of the grill shadows the edges of the car and therefore takes some time getting used to. The rear view mirror autodims, but tends to vibrate a little on bumpy roads - something i find irritating - need to get that checked. The side mirrors can be retracted electrically and i believe has a heaters similar to rear windscreen for antifogging - have not tried it out. The car is really broad, so needs some rapid eye scan movement (like in 36'th chamber of Shaolin) to do a 360 degree watch in bangalore traffic.

The steering has tilt and distance control, controls for mode, channel switch and volume control/mute. Mix of wood finish and leather with convinient single finger horn access - a must in traffic (something which was a pain in Baleno with the horn being in the centre of the steering). The gear shift is conviniently located and has 6 forward gears and one reverse (pull up and left - similar to the opels and other german cars). Tried the 6'th on the ring road - 80kmph at around ~1.5K rpm and cruising..

The dash is a mix of burl wood finish, dull black leather like plastic/rubber material (good finish) and proverbial beige plastic. The dials are well placed and are decent looking. The trip meter is basic - A, B, with current odometer/distance till empty, average speed/time for the trip, but lacks average fuel consumption (though the distance to empty dynamically changes depending on the speed/traffic that you encounter. With a full tank (70 lts) it said 880 kms.. Now with around a week (with bad traffic and a lot of idle time) the total has dropped to around 700kms..

The centre of the dash has a small clock, and below it is the music console and the HVAC control. The music system has a single CD with MP3 support and between the seats is a provision of a power outlet, a USB port and an Aux port. All the displays have a blue backlight and since it is one of my favorite colors - it looks good, though the angle of the music system reflects onto the windscreen during the night (have to see if it is distracting during long rides). The system also features automatic volume control and drives six speakers (2 tweeters placed near the mirrors) and four at the doors with a subwoofer at the rear. The sound quality is impressive and i dont feel the need to upgrade from the OEM offering. It does not support bluetooth, but the dealer agreed to fit a car kit (Parrot) and a charger as part of the deal.

The A/C supports dual zone and is really effective. There are no rear vents though i have read in some places there is something under the front seats, but not too sure.

The space in the car is ample - three adults can comfortably sit in the rear. There is a center handrest with cup holders, but no audio controls like the accord or rear a/c vents. The floor in the rear is not flat, but no body complaint about it when the car was full. The comfort in the rear seats was great according to others - still not sat in the back as i am busy enjoying being in the drivers seat.

There are ample storage spaces around in the car. The interior finish on the top is not the regular felt, but a syntetic mesh like material that looks like it can be cleaned - sensible. There a good number of lights - two in front, two in the rear, two in the centre and when the visors are brought down, there is a mirror with a flap lid, when opened triggers another light that illuminates your face. Ideal for wives for that last minute touchup's before getting off to a party!

The boot is huge and a friend who owns two sonatas says he can fit three large suitcases - the type you take on your US trip..Gas struts for easy opening. The car comes with a car cover, first aid kit, the reflector, toolkit, spare bulbs etc..

Engine/Driving: I chose the diesel MT version and the noise compared to the petrol car is not something i am used to, but inside, the NVH works quite well and is not too noisy - though i have driven at speeds only below 100kmp. the Torque is something i am enjoying compared to the petrol cars i have driven and my wife comments that she can feel the acceleration too often - maybe my initial excitement of wanting to feel the G-force. The first gear is a little short - sort of get the car started and in second gear at >1.5K rpm is the best feeling of acceleration. The power flow continues through at the other gears as well and i dont see any additional gear changes through bangalore traffic compared to my Baleno (something that i was worried about after reading about the turbo lag in most of diesel cars other than the Skodas). Very happy with the peformance of the car. The steering though is a little disappointing - compared to the Ford (have not driven the Superb), the feel is a little floaty and one does not get the feedback from the road - so as *prof said when he bought the Superb instead of the Accord - i echo the sentiments of the accord feel to be similar to this car.

The car comes with a 4 year/80K warranty and free service for the same period! hyundai of course has a large network of dealers and service centres and a toll free 24x7 hotline. have to see how good they are later on. I bought the insurance on my own and saved nearly 13K doing that. The dealer put in the tamper proof number plates and a full tank of fuel. I got nearly 1.8L for my 9 year old Baleno (25K more as a buy back of my old car compared to market rate which added to the saving). The car by the way lists at 18.1L on road in Bangalore.

Will keep posting updates as i drive more and will try and take some pictures over the weekend and upload them..
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Some photographs will add the rejoice. Nice report, Enjoy the car !!

I am really tempted to get it in my stable next year though i am inclined towards the A/T one.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 19:36   #22
BHPian

Congratulation Ranga and thanks for the review. Was planning for an upgrade and was thinking of a Laura but Skoda just dont seem to be right anymore.

My second choice was always Sonata Transform. And your review supports the cause.

Waiting for the pics though
tinnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 12:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know you're happy with your decision. It's a worthy car, just not flashy enough for some people, or those who prefer H to H. I'm neither, and a big fan of the Sonata.

Now how about some pictures?
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 17:58   #24
BHPian

Sonata Transform seems to have vanished from Hyundai's Bangalore distribution network. Called up their largest dealer in Bangalore and they could not arrange for a TD as there was no vehicle. Neither could they invite me to any of their showrooms to just see the vehicle as there was none in any of their branches.

It's such a good car - not sure why Hyundai is not so serious about selling it.
sabynag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 21:45   #25
BHPian

Give her a sparkle and then give us some pics!!
redeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 22:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Sonata Transform seems to have vanished from Hyundai's Bangalore distribution network. Called up their largest dealer in Bangalore and they could not arrange for a TD as there was no vehicle. Neither could they invite me to any of their showrooms to just see the vehicle as there was none in any of their branches.

Every showroom in Mumbai has a display car. By that I mean Jaybharat, HMP and Shreenath. I don't know about A1 and Modi.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 12:08   #27
BANNED

That is great, congrats Rangaraj. Hope you will add more details and snaps after your intial breakin period.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 13:57   #28

Did you try calling Trident, a guy called Sharath 9844208193 would surely organise a test drive ,
Samir Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 15:09   #29
BHPian

Hi rangaraj,

Congrats on a Fantastic Buy, please upload some pics of this Beauty !
Jimmy_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:29   #30

Default Cars purchase at Advaith a great experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post

I have been driving hyundai cars for close to a decade, and all my cars i have bought from Advaith its been great expereience whenever any of my friends want to buy a hyundai tell them to go to Advaith. The last car i bought from a guy called Poovaiah his no is 9845390084.
Dr.sag is offline   Reply With Quote