Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th April 2009, 22:15   #16
BHPian

ALLROAd - Great Buy ! Let me share my story with you

I own a Indigo MArina GLS (PEtrol) December 2004 till date - 62000 km. For me its a beauty. I dont know if you can beat me at it , but i am a big fan of Station Wagons . Few points which may be of relevance to you :
1. Tata Petrol cars are not in demand , not for its performance , but because of its low resale value. The Petrol car is a good buy if resale is not a concern for you.
2. Marina Diesel will giv you FE of 15-16kmpl compared to 11-12 by MArina Petrol (my figures) in city.
3. Petrol engine is much more refined that Marina Diesel variant.
4. The Marina Boot has made my life :-) . i am going to miss it (you will know why below )
5. I am in the 5th year of my ownership of this car and i love it everyday, i have test driven many cars during last 3 years and liked them but i havent got a better VFM car (i got it for 4.8 lacs OnRoad after discounts then) .
6. I have alloys done at 33000km and the beauty of the car just got better . Believe me, most of the new cars i test drove were tossed out of my mind once i i got back to my car after the TD.

Now , something has happened. I set my eyes on this Italian beauty called Linea . I was on one of my Service visits at my TATA dealer when (although i had heard of it before) i stepped in to the Fiat Section of the dealership as i had some spare time . Just loved this Sedan (very very rare for me). I booked Linea on MArch 31st. Now , I am just waiting for the delivery.

I have ensured that my Marina doesnt go far from me. It will be with my Dad. As i mentioned earlier - its not easy to sell the Tata Petrol and also not easy to sell something you love

Just to end i have had some niggling issues in the last 6 odd months . more to do with the Shock absorbers which had to be replace. thats purely due to mumbai roads and my driving maybe . But , overall a beautiful Station Wagon and Loads of Space - good enough for Shifting a Home

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th April 2009 at 12:38. Reason: 2 smiley max as per the rules please.
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 23:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

with a tata petrol engine, problems will take longer to solve, spares longer to arrive and more expensive. But then again, the diesel sibling is a very tough benchmark.

I have friends who are happy with their petrol indicas. just make sure you know what you are getting into
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 23:17   #18
BHPian

Congrats buddy. Appreciate your courage to go for Marina that too PETROL. A rare breed.
Silver Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 00:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
with a tata petrol engine, problems will take longer to solve, spares longer to arrive and more expensive. But then again, the diesel sibling is a very tough benchmark.

I have friends who are happy with their petrol indicas. just make sure you know what you are getting into
i guess i have stated in many words what he is getting into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
Congrats buddy. Appreciate your courage to go for Marina that too PETROL. A rare breed.
So? Go with Skoda ???!! now that would be truly courageous !!!!
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:04   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase, Allroad. Enjoy the car.

Nice to read posts from Indigo Marina lovers.

Did you consider Ford Fusion ?

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
'08 Indigo Marina VE
'01 Indica DLE
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 12:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Congratulations on your purchase...Did you consider Ford Fusion ?
Thanx! Nope, did not. As I said in my earlier post, not a fan of american cars.
Allroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 13:00   #22
BHPian

Friends, request for quick advice: the proforma was returned by my company HR. They want the ex-showroom price to be split into the basic price plus VAT. So have to go back to the dealer to get a new invoice.

I am going to get the parking sensors added to the car. Secondly, I am seeing that many of you are surprised at the petrol version I am going for, asking me why I was doing it and appreciating my courage (thanx for that). And also reading other positive posts on the DiCOR, I am thinking what if I go for this variant after all.

What do you think? I test drove both petrol GLX and DiCOR and obviously found petrol much smoother than the DiCOR. Above that, the latter was 1.2L costlier at 7.3L. Frankly these two were the main reasons why I opted for GLX since most of my driving was going to be in-city and occasional long trips. So I was not concerned about the fuel cost.

Now your advice part:

1. Considering how my usage is going to be, do you still advice me to go for a DiCOR?

2. Is 7.3L including some 60K worth of options the right price for a 2009 LX DiCOR Marina in Bangalore?

Thanx!
Old 19th April 2009, 17:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroad View Post
Thanx! Nope, did not. As I said in my earlier post, not a fan of american cars.
Fusion sold here is a Europian build which is based on the Fiesta platform. There is nothing much American about it.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 19:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

if you are certain you will not be selling the vehicle for at least the next 5 years (and i dont mean because of an upgrade. could be due to transfer/change of job/absence of job - during these hard times, one must budget for everything). the Diesel will hold much better resale value, and it won't be too hard finding a buyer for it.

If price is what worries you , why not consider the TDI? the LX TDI is only 40K more than the GLX ex showroom ! the only difference between the TDI and the DICOR is that the TDI is a tried and tested , but older engine. it has the same NVH characteristics, and there is a bit more turbo lag.
Old 19th April 2009, 21:10   #25
BHPian

At that price i think you should consider the Linea (Petrol model) as that was your second choice. Yeah i know you are a great fan of station wagon, but i think Linea petrol is definitely worth considering.
sridharp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 00:13   #26
BHPian

Allroad, as a Marina TDI owner, permit me to comment :

If you are satisfied with the petrol's performance, and are happy to live with the petrol fuel economy, you have made the right choice for your low-km usage. Please go ahead with your current booking, and enjoy your car when you get it.

As an aside, on a visit to Jo'burg last September, I happened to flag a Marina GLX taxi from the airport, with more than 170,000 km on the clock on the original unopened engine, and with a very satisfied owner-driver looking to clock many more.

I have driven DiCOR and TDI Marinas (as well as petrol ones). As has been mentioned earlier by others, apart from some subtle changes in where the turbo boost comes in, there isn't a big difference in driving performance / NVH / fuel economy between the diesels.

Also as mentioned by others, the TDI is by-far the more proven engine, as also the fact that other TATA family cars have used this engine for a while, and have been produced in fairly large numbers. If you HAVE to buy diesel, you would not go wrong, if you picked the TDI.

The petrol Marina is by-far the quieter car, in comparison to either of the diesels. Performance-wise, if you are not habituated to liking diesel low-end-torque / low-revving nature, then the petrol is more than adequate. You will also benefit from a significantly lighter clutch pedal effort, and lower engine noise infiltrating the cabin.

Lastly, from a resale point of view; yes, what others have said is correct. A petrol Marina will not retain it's value as well on resale, in comparison to the diesels. However, given the number of CNG (petrol derived) Marina phone-cabs seen on the roads in Mumbai, I can foresee there being a demand for used petrol Marinas down-the-road, from cancelled cab owners ... what with the recent court strictures forcing old Padmini cabs off the roads, to be replaced with more modern metal. (I trust my mentioning CABS will not put you off Marina ownership).

I picked diesel, 'cos I like the characteristic low-end-torque of these engines, the better fuel economy on long runs, and consequent lower running costs over higher annual mileages.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 10:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

I ahve a DICOR marina and I ahve got the front hand rest installed. Search for relevant threads and you will find it here.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroad View Post
2. Is 7.3L including some 60K worth of options the right price for a 2009 LX DiCOR Marina in Bangalore?

Thanx!
If you are hell bent for Station Wagon, than you do not have many options, but at that price I bought SX4-ZXi (on road, in Gurgaon).

For marina. Bargain real hard, you should get at least 60K discount.

Overall, Marina is a Superb car, though I never TDed petrol version.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

the indica/indigo petrols usually tend to have bigger discounts than the petrols. I'd try bargaining harder if I were you

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th April 2009 at 12:00.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:19   #30
BHPian

Stopped by the dealer this morning. They do not have the Marina GLX with the color I wanted. It has to be built in the factory now. He says delivery could be around mid-May but with all sound reasons I won't be surprised even if it is after May.

He also said Tata has stopped making DiCOR-based Indigos or Marinas. This year on, all Indigos and Marinas will be petrol ones. Perhaps Tata is back in R&D with something up their sleeve.

This weekend got a call from my friend in the US. I will have to travel in the first week of June and will be out for about two months. So had decided to hold off my buying expedition for now as I don't want to take the delivery of the car only to put it in the basement for the next two months. Will continue the adventure once I get back from the US.

I thank you all for all the reviews and advice.