Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th April 2009, 17:18   #1
BHPian

Default Hello all! Booked my first indian car Tata Indigo Marina GLX!!!

Before I introduce myself, I would like to take a moment to thank you all on this forum. I am ever grateful to you all for the invaluable views and experience you share on this forum, honestly. Especially true considering the fact that the posts in this forum helped build my confidence and I booked my first indian car Tata Indigo Marina GLX

Yeah I'm one of those rare/exotic station-wagon-lovers! Just returned from the dealer (Concorde motors here in Bangalore). It's gonna be delivered in about 3 weeks. Will try to post more info as things happen.

Some details: metallic mica grey, darker sun-filmed windows, Pioneer system with six speakers. Back two are 6"x9" speakers, will be enclosed in a wooden plank. Hope it will look good and decent. 14" 13-spoke alloy wheels, tubeless tyres, and keyless entry with immobilizer.

My other cars (in US):
2003 Audi Allroad (station-wagon/cross-country kind)
1998 Volvo V70 AWD (station-wagon)

Previous ones:
1999 VW Passat (station-wagon)
1984 Ford Thunderbird (classic coupe - first car during college, hence could not have been a station-wagon)

Quick Qs:
1. If anyone has a front armrest done on their Marina or even Indigo, please post some pictures detailing it if you can. Asked the dealer and he said, it's gonna be difficult and even one is installed, it's gonna be fragile. So essentially he did not agree. Want to see how others did.

2. Perhaps my search was poor but could not find a PDI checklist that someone mentioned is posted here. Please let me know the link.

3. Forgot to ask the dealer about rear bumper sensors. Can they be done for Marina? Is it worth to go for?

4. Any tips/advice on what I can do during this 3-week wait? Just sit and chill and...wait?

Thanks again to you all for your posts, reviews, and advice. Keep 'em coming!

Allroad

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 17:23. Reason: This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.
Allroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

congrats ALL ROAD.
you can find the pdi check list by doing a search with exactly those words at "search the forum "

the INDIGO MARINA is the best looking car IMO in the INDICA platform. very proportionate and those alloys and hopefully better rubber that you are putting should improve its stance

you can go for parking sensors in the after market. in fact i saw a thread from Tejas where he has put a reversing camera for around Rs6000

what is the on road price your paying ? i suppose you got a good discount thanks to the MARINA variant not being too successful
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 17:54   #3
BHPian

No offence and I certainly don't want to pull you down. But why choose a TATA??
I already own a Tata Indigo GLX. I bought it for 4.4 in 2004, must have spent at least 2.5 more on its maintenance and mechanical problems. I have revamped it recently and want to sell it, but no one has dared to show interest in my car till date. It's on the market since nov 08.
Yashodeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 18:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
congrats ALL ROAD. you can find the pdi check list by doing a search with exactly those words at "search the forum "
Thanx Narayan, I actually found it after posting my post. I was searching with the acronym PDI in the post title earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
what is the on road price your paying ? i suppose you got a good discount thanks to the MARINA variant not being too successful
After about 45k discount final price I'm paying is 6.1L. I found out the discount could have been even more if the car was in stock but no, they didn't had a 2009 model yet. This is going to be coming in from the factory. I looked at couple of 2008 models in the stockyard but did not find them in good shape and obviously they were little bit driven. Since Marina is not a popular car, they don't have a test drive/demo vehicle. So what they do I think is that they disconnect the odometer cable and then take to customers when a test drive is requested. They brought one of these when I asked for a test drive and I found the odeometer and speedometer not working. And then the next day the same car was in the stockyard on display for me. So I decided to go with a 2009 brand new one. Otherwise a 2008 would have saved me another 42k as I had worked out that quote as well with the dealer.

Allroad
Old 16th April 2009, 18:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashodeep View Post
No offence and I certainly don't want to pull you down. But why choose a TATA??
No, not at all a pull down! Appreciate the honest feedback. Well if not Marina, then the other ones I had on my list were Linea and City. But again if you check out Audi and Volvo forums on the internet, you will find some people have had not so good feedback for some of these best models. But for both these cars, I say I am a proud owner of 'em.

For Marina too there are both good and bad reviews from its owners. So I guess we can't deem the car as a pointless buy.

Allroad
Old 16th April 2009, 18:44   #6
BHPian

Hey Firstly congrats. You are now a proud owner of a Tata. I bought my Indica Xeta last year and contrary to my expectations its been a pleasant one year. Firstly unlike what I had heard there are no quality issues ( big or small ) secondly my first service experience with Tata was absolutely amazing. the only small complain is that the car does not return a great mileage. Congrats once again on a practical, solid, value for money and a Patriotic purchase. enjoy

Kunaal
kunaalsaigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 19:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroad View Post
3. Forgot to ask the dealer about rear bumper sensors. Can they be done for Marina? Is it worth to go for?
Congratulations.

As somebody has pointed out, can be done. But rear visibility is very good in the Marina.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 19:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

congrats allroad, from the land of station wagon lovers! (seriously, the number station wagons I see everyday is sickening!)
looking forward to your ownership review.
btw, I've always wondered why station wagons don't sell well in india? Seems like the 'better' option to a sedan!

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 22:51   #9
BHPian

You could have searched for an altura or an adventure, there's also the Chevrolet srv but nevertheless congratulations.
I have reverse sensors on my altura and they're quite useful,I'd recommend you get them.
Out of curiosity, any particular reason for a station wagon ?
Edit- Parking sensors can be done on any car, not an issue. I'd say go for the simple sound ones, they're enough.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 23:02   #10
R_R
BHPian

My first post here! Congrats on your buy, Allroad! Do'nt worry about Tata. I bought an Indica DLS in 2003 and have done over 1,00,000 kms on it and am very happy with it. So happy in fact that when my wife wanted a car we bought another Indica (DLG) in 2007. Both of us need to drive a lot, so no other car would have been affordable. That said, we both love our Indicas. And our experience with TASS has been quite good. So, enjoy!
R_R
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 09:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
My first post here! Congrats on your buy, Allroad! Do'nt worry about Tata. I bought an Indica DLS in 2003 and have done over 1,00,000 kms on it and am very happy with it.
Thanx R_R! Good to hear such positive feedback.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
You could have searched for an altura or an adventure, there's also the Chevrolet srv but nevertheless congratulations...Out of curiosity, any particular reason for a station wagon ?
These models are not in production, isn't it? I wasn't considering a used car as I am using company lease program. Chevy - well with all due respect to american friends on this forum, never preferred american cars.

Why a station wagon - well I guess it's like the beauty lies in the eye of the beholder!!!
Old 17th April 2009, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Well said, I checked for you, a friend of mine also has parking sensors on his indigo marina, he got them done from a local shop though.
These cars are quite practical though, it's awesome traveling with our dog, he's very happy in the boot.
Am not sure about the adventure, I don't think it's in production though
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 11:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

just curious , why a GLX? why not a dicor or a TDI? It makes a lot more sense to go diesel with tata...
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 20:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
just curious , why a GLX? why not a dicor or a TDI? It makes a lot more sense to go diesel with tata...
Well I test drove the dicor Indigo and found neither the engine nor the ride as smooth as its petrol sister. And moreover my usage mostly is going to be city driving and perhaps occasional long trips. So I am not worrying about the petrol.

You say: it makes a lot sense to go diesel with tata. Meaning, tata petrol engines are not up to the mark?