Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st May 2009, 09:48   #76
BHPian

thanks fastlove. I did look at ashvin's xcel sheet but he has done comparo only for 50% films. 50 is too light IMO and personally I don't want to spend more than 5k on sunfilm. The 3M CS/RE films look attractive at that price.

Which model sunfilm did you go for? Does the rate you gave also cover front-windshield also?
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 12:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
50 is too light IMO and personally
Please see some vehicle with darker tints yourself. It could be tough in low light driving conditions. You would miss the two wheelers (and even four wheelers) with dark tints on the sides.

Moroever the sides can have 50% legally whereas the rear takes a 30% legally.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 19:00   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
thanks fastlove. I did look at ashvin's xcel sheet but he has done comparo only for 50% films. 50 is too light IMO and personally I don't want to spend more than 5k on sunfilm. The 3M CS/RE films look attractive at that price.

Which model sunfilm did you go for? Does the rate you gave also cover front-windshield also?
Neo , my invoice shows this :

Llumar Side windows :2050Rs.
Llumar Front Windscreen PP sixty : 4200Rs.

Honestly , was too lazy to do any research so went with one of 2 options given by dealer. Obviosly , went for the easy option that did not need me to use much of my intelligence and just sounding good commercially. the other option was VKool and it was 9k for front alone i guess.

Bottomline : I am quite happy with the llumar job done. And , so far no objections from the cops i am Legal
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 20:37   #79
BHPian

Default sunfilm installation?

I finally decided on 3M RE35 as that seems to be most bang to the buck (bargained to 4600. 3yr warranty). It is light enough so I was willing to take a gamble.

Question to all Linea owners who installed sunfilms:
How was the sunfilm installed? Were all the doors opened & the window glasses pulled out or they were stuck from inside the car?

I went to my neighborhood car-decor shop and these ppl saw Linea for first time, so mine was the test guinea pig. They were having a tough time to figure out how to remove the window glass out.
Finally after removing quite a few screws, clips and all they figured out a way to open the front window glasses. But the back ones refused to come out.

So they decided to remove front 2 glasses and for back ones, they will install from inside. Actually I have to go again tomorrow as they din't have enough film (they thought it was some accent or something and underestimated the glass area on the car).
Old 31st May 2009, 21:57   #80
BHPian

Dude if you are getting 3M sunfilm, then guys from 3M will come and install it. They will carry the warranty card,sun film and get it sealed and signed by the vendor. The guys from 3M did not open up the door and remove the glass, etc. They fix the film directly from the inside and did a thorough and immaculate job. Also, please look out for bubbles during installation, and bring it to their notice however small they are, specially towards the edges. Only after a thorough inspection get the warranty stamped and signed. I got mine done at EVOs in B'lore - Blueraven's and he ensured they did a good job and spotted a minute bubble that they fixed. It took them about 2 hours I think to do it completely including, redoing a rear window where the bubble was right in the center..All is fine now.

Last edited by pranava999 : 31st May 2009 at 22:05.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 09:00   #81
Senior - BHPian

3M guys are expert here in chennai. They know how to remove glass from linea. Are you sure you are doing it from a authorised guy?.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 10:42   #82
BHPian

Shop guy said I will be given a card with 3yr warranty.
So I assume he was authorized.

Also the film had a 3M watermark (but no model number) and it came loose not a packaged roll like garware. He said it comes in bulk and they order it from dealer by how much length of roll they want.

There's no direct 3M showrooms here in Hyd.
This guy works on 2-3 cars on daily basis and we also put Llumar sunfilm on my friend's IndigoCS , so I thought they were competent enough.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:47   #83
BHPian

The Original 3M film come with a watermark. As long as they have done a good fit and put everything back the right way, should not be an issue. Relax and chill
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 11:07   #84
Senior - BHPian

Good buy Neo.But i really surprised and amazed by your parking ability and getting in and out through the passenger door.
hillram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 11:24   #85
BHPian

Hee hee thanks.
Yeah, Initially it was difficult but now its routine
I guess I am now ready to try gymnastics as a professional career!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Good buy Neo.But i really surprised and amazed by your parking ability and getting in and out through the passenger door.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:00   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Please see some vehicle with darker tints yourself. It could be tough in low light driving conditions. You would miss the two wheelers (and even four wheelers) with dark tints on the sides.

Moroever the sides can have 50% legally whereas the rear takes a 30% legally.
Bang on. I personally always feel visibility an issue with any sunfilm & hence generally do not get it installed though it helps increasing cooling thro' heat reduction
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally always feel visibility an issue with any sunfilm & hence generally do not get it installed though it helps increasing cooling thro' heat reduction
Gone are the days when sunfilms have to be dark to give maximum heat rejection. 3M CR series film which i have installed in my car is 70% and 50% transparent respectively and give the maximum heat rejection 59% and 66% respectively (the maximum available at this point of time). It is based on nano technology. Have a look at the film mate!! and you will change your mind.
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:50   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Gone are the days when sunfilms have to be dark to give maximum heat rejection. 3M CR series film which i have installed in my car is 70% and 50% transparent respectively and give the maximum heat rejection 59% and 66% respectively (the maximum available at this point of time). It is based on nano technology. Have a look at the film mate!! and you will change your mind.
Thats what I said - that though it may give a very very good heat reduction, I, personally, am not very comfortable with it even if visibility is hampered by only a slightest %age. May be because that's how my driving style is. I use lots of side viewing thro' corner of my eyes while moving in city. May be because I cut lanes frequently, am always looking for slightest oppportunity for an inch to get ahead or change the lane, hate to see someone cutting into the lane I'm driving etc etc. Left ORVM is useful but only upto a point thereafter I go by slightest hint of any portion of the car OR any "movement" visible thro' side window glass
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:51   #89
BHPian

yes. The sunfilm isn't as dangerous as its made out to be.
There's enough people driving around with 20% films and some with 5% too!
My zen has a 20% garware classic film ... and its really black!

I think a premium film with 35% is a safe bet (gives some privacy as well as good sun block with TSER > 50%).

The 3M CR series is really good, but 3x more expensive too.
I'll probably try CR70 on windshield (as we want max.visibility and min.glare) after re-assessing my budget.
Old 1st June 2009, 19:09   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Bang on. I personally always feel visibility an issue with any sunfilm & hence generally do not get it installed though it helps increasing cooling thro' heat reduction
I hope I have not mislead you. All my cars have sunfilm on them. The sides and the ear take the same light grey from Garware Classic. It is both for a little privacy as well as to aid AC performance.

This shade in my opinion hardly hampers view even at night except in completely unlit places.

Last edited by trrk : 1st June 2009 at 19:11.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote