Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 20:28   #16
BHPian

well i think fiat should pay to t-bhp for the free advertisement its getting for the linea .with so many linea threads instead of a corporate discount there should be a t-bhp discount on linea
Old 18th April 2009, 20:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

@neotraveller
Congrats on the new car.
Many cars (including Fusion and Forester I owned) feel sluggish in low revs but you will get used to driving in the power band very soon.

Nice colour too but just curious why many Linea buyers are not opting for black. To me black Linea looks simply stunning and appears like a car 3 times its price.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
1) did you reset the trip/mileage display meter after you got the delivery? if not please do it as it could be a reason for low mileage. Hope it sorts out better.
The tripmeter and ODO are same. Reason for low mileage is I've been driving in peak traffic. In fact if I maintain around 50-60kmph in 4th gear, I observed that the instantaneous consumption shows 12-14kmpl.
2) don't read too much into that initial 6 km odo, i believe they can reset the odo once (check Opendro's thread).
The car feels fresh from the factory. Going by the turn of events leading to my delivery I hardly gave any scope to use my car for TDs and all
3) you car is a petrol and it is not a turbo - i don't understand low response till 2000 rpm. Yes it can happen - but i thought it would be much better compared to the VGT one?
That is perplexing to me too ... it feels like a diesel. I observed it during the Test drive also. Wonder what other Linea (P) owners have to say about this.
Thanks vishal, do we get K&N air filters in india? I am going to US soon, maybe I can get some. Also have to see what other things I can get for my Linea, that are not available in India. Any suggestions guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by veishal View Post
Get a K&N installed and you slow speed woes would vanish. The over usage of the clutch would also disappear once the vehicles breathes better when in slow motion.
Happy and safe driving to you, Sir!!!
Right, it doesn't have a screen. I was more wondering if it will give the turn-by-turn voice directions like the commercial GPS devices.
I will vary the rpms and add some spice into my driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Well, I don't think you will be able to use GPS functionality with the Blue and me, as the linea doesn't have any display to show the map/directions.

2000 rpm is a very conservative limit. You can take her up to 3000 rpm during run in without any issues. It's important to vary the engine speed (rpm) and not keep it constant for a long time. It allows the engine components to bed in better.

Cheers !
Linea has a lot of chrome on it. It gets highlited only in darker shades.
Black looks best. But many family members (including mine) have something against black for religious reasons. Also black is difficult to maintain.
Next best is Red. Hence the choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
@neotraveller
Nice colour too but just curious why many Linea buyers are not opting for black. To me black Linea looks simply stunning and appears like a car 3 times its price.
Old 18th April 2009, 22:08   #19
BHPian

congratulations on the car dude..

i agree with your sentiments on the black...it is a major pain in the rear to keep looking clean.

even though red was not my 1st choice of colour - it has grown on me quite nicely and i really enjoy the looks it gets on the streets!

stay sane and drive safe
Old 18th April 2009, 22:39   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
What's the max rpm for each gear in the Petrol Linea?

Also, the manual recommends 91 Octane unleaded fuel.
I filled BP Speed petrol don't know its octane rating.
Anybody knows what the right fuel type is for Petrol Linea?
Suggest that you drive as you were driving your earlier car normally except not to push rpms or speed too high & not to keep them constant but keep them varying. While changing gears especially 1st to 2nd to 3rd, its very difficult to limit rpms below 2000.

BPCL Speed is not 91 octane petrol (you may refer to my Linea thread) though there are special additives there & it may be similar to 91 Octane, not sure as they are not mentioning octane in speed petrol. I also 1st filled normal regular petrol thinking fiat recommendation for regular diesel may apply to petrol also. while googling it i found that IOC's ExtraPremium petrol is 91 Octane petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

Dealership Blues (Autofin)

The dealership itself was full of all kinds of people looking at indicas, nano and all. So the moment didn't feel special at all. Even my car handover was pretty mundane and had no Linea specials (as some people had). It was same as that of an indica.

Initial Impressions
- The car feels really slow in 1st & 2nd gears. Moves lethargically like a sloth bear. 2nd gear seems useless. You either stick to 1st or 3rd.
- Crossing 2000 rpm gives it the much needed josh. But unfortunately for run-in reasons I am stuck with these low rpms
I wonder if its because the engine is brand new, may be after a couple hundred km the engine will free-up? What say Linea (P) owners?

- Overall feels nice car to drive except at those low rpms
My Delivery experience was also quite similar to you. Quite mundane. Sales Guy had to go to their other showroom (may be selling a car to other customer). He delegated responsibility to 2 persons whose names he had given me. one was like receptionist or customer support exe & the other was like dox exe managing documentation. He didn't know the features. Fortunately while I did PDI earlier, PDI-guy explained me everything. It was 7 pm & everyone at dealership was in hurry to leave. So just did pooja & drove off.

1st/ 2nd gear I also found wanting. In my initial review I had mentioned that I'll be in better position to comment on it after a few days when I'm used to Fiat's long ply clutch - break - accelerator combination. Sometimes, even 1st/ 2nd gear seems very powerful & the car picks up suddenly with a jerk while some times its totally dead & refuses to move.

also the gears are very "short". I could easily drive Linea in top gear (at lower speed) in mumbai traffic much more than i could drive my earlier Ford Ikon where I used to have rare opportunities to engage top gear.
Old 19th April 2009, 01:14   #21

About grinding noise

I also have observed the grinding noise when braking abruptly to bring it to complete halt. Have posted this observation on separate thread.

I do feel that after driving now for 300 km or so, the noise has reduced.

But still it does come especially if u brake a little abruptly & completely while on an incline.
Old 19th April 2009, 10:54   #22
BHPian

well if you have ABS on your cars , it takes a while getting used to braking however am not sure if the grinding is related to the ABS . I have not got such feedback while braking on mine.

@ vahan , I have been using regular fuel...guess wil now have to shift to extra premium
Old 19th April 2009, 12:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your new Linea. It looks dashing in red!

As regards 91 octane fuel, even I was perplexed when I bought my Fiesta 2 years ago. After searching on this forum, I discovered that ordinary IOC petrol is 91 octane in cities. I don't exactly remember the name of the thread.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes i too have the same issue.get some noise while braking in slow motion.
TATA CSM told me that It's common in all ABS fitted linea's.
I have tried in brand new Emotion pack and got same noise.
But i am not ready to believe him.
I don't know whether it comes from ABS fitment or from shocks.
It's a very irritating noise especially driving in nights without music on.
Every one onboard asked me about the strange noise.i tend to explian them as it's because of ABS.funnyyyyyyy though.
also got some creaking noise from Steering wheel and doors.
different Thud noise from shocks.never heard this sound from other cars.
But shock absorber is good and driving in speed is a delight.
Panel gap in front storage box is not even and looks weird.
need to check in first service.
only 250 kms to reach 3000 kms.
will be completed 3000 kms on or before next weekend.
planned to give the car for 1st service after 26 april 2009.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 19th April 2009 at 12:12.
Old 19th April 2009, 12:17   #25
BHPian

All unleaded petrols of all brands sold in Metros are 91 Octane. All premium petrols are also 91 Octane with some engine cleaning additives added to that.

There is no need to use any premium petrol in new cars. I bought my Toyota Altis Automatic in March 09 and have been using normal fuel as per the manual. Just remember to get your fuel filters changed (original only) as per recommended intervals.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
My Delivery experience was also quite similar to you. Quite mundane. Sales Guy had to go to their other showroom (may be selling a car to other customer). He delegated responsibility to 2 persons whose names he had given me. one was like receptionist or customer support exe & the other was like dox exe managing documentation. He didn't know the features.
I can assure you delivery experience is also bad even for honda guys. I bought ANHC and i was given delivery without telling me - how to open the petrol lid. When i reached the petrol pump, i realised, i dont know where the lever is. I called up the guy who was the so called delivery expert (he happens to be driver who drives cars from stockyard to showroom). Anyways, i was so excited to driver my car that i really dont mind at all. Over next few days, i found out where is the lever for opening the bonnet, how to play music on the music system, and where is the 12V socket for charging, how to reset the trip meter etc.
Old 19th April 2009, 13:32   #27
BHPian

Lineadmiration !!!

It's drool time now folks ...
Attached Thumbnails
One more Linea story? ... here you go-linea-026.jpg  

One more Linea story? ... here you go-linea-032.jpg  

One more Linea story? ... here you go-linea-035.jpg  

One more Linea story? ... here you go-linea-038.jpg  

One more Linea story? ... here you go-linea-099.jpg  

Old 19th April 2009, 16:21   #28
BHPian

Nice !!
Since you've also owned a Corolla , quick wild query.

What is the comfort variance according to you between Corolla and Linea
i.e. +/- in % terms for Driving and passenger seating ?
Old 19th April 2009, 16:36   #29
BHPian

[quote=neotraveller;1266608]Thanks vishal, do we get K&N air filters in india?

Congrats for Italian beauty! K&N air filters are easily available in India
Old 19th April 2009, 19:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
i was given delivery without telling me - how to open the petrol lid
That indeed was deficient service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
Over next few days, i found out where is the lever for opening the bonnet, how to play music on the music system, and where is the 12V socket for charging, how to reset the trip meter etc.
Did not your car come with a user's manual? Most cars do. Reading it defintely helps you in getting to know your car better.

I do read the user's manual of all the cars that I buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks