Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th June 2009, 17:47   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
McLaren will you be driving the car or sitting in the rear? I'm 6ft3 have no issues while driving the car. However the rear headroom is not much but I did not care as I don't intend to sit in the rear.
My brother who is 6ft and dad 5'10" have not found it uncomfortable.
The advice I can give you is to first TD the car and arrive at a conclusion.
I am 6 ". Here is my experience, if you sit firm in the rear seat with the seat supporting your full back (I mean you lower back is also perched firm against the set and from there on through out until the end of your spine, that is how you would sit usually when you drive on the highways) then you are sure to hit the roof. I did a TD both from the drivers seat and also sitting in the rear (in one of the corners, with my head on the raised head support).

When you sit more causal which is more when you are traveling short distances then your back in not firm against the seat the it does not matter. Not sure on a speed breaker ( I did not come across any in the TD while in the rear seat).

Not sure if others felt the same and me, but IMO the rear seat height for a tall person is not very apt. comments welcome

- Harish.
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 19:38   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I am 6 ". Here is my experience, if you sit firm in the rear seat with the seat supporting your full back (I mean you lower back is also perched firm against the set and from there on through out until the end of your spine, that is how you would sit usually when you drive on the highways) then you are sure to hit the roof. I did a TD both from the drivers seat and also sitting in the rear (in one of the corners, with my head on the raised head support).

When you sit more causal which is more when you are traveling short distances then your back in not firm against the seat the it does not matter. Not sure on a speed breaker ( I did not come across any in the TD while in the rear seat).

Not sure if others felt the same and me, but IMO the rear seat height for a tall person is not very apt. comments welcome

- Harish.
I am 6'1" and had never noticed this rear headroom issue even during TD (as i sat in the rear seat during my first rendezvous with the baby) and only read about it somewhere and to recheck had revisited the dealer before buying . I found no issue with the rear head room even then. YEs, if there is a huge thud at a speed breaker and the rear passengers are tossed up there will be just a little more possibility of the head banging on the roof than other sedans. It is a very comfortable car in all areas (front and back) with great legroom. I am the most finicky about choosing cars as i get very uncomfortable if my legs have to be cramped in a small space.

I have tall people in my family and friends, collleagues who have sat in my car and never even noticed/ mentioned any problem with the headroom.

I believe just like the Media (News channels) as they do good service and at the same time have the bad side where excessive journalism leads twisted facts, and sensationalisation, same happens when there is hype around a certain thing in a new product especially a car. The rear headroom issue i remember i had read first in an autocar review and they have to write 7 gud and 3 bad points and they look for things with a microscope . readers pick it up and then there is mass hysteria around it.

my advice "Dikhawon pe math jaao , apni akal lagao"

Last edited by FastLove : 9th June 2009 at 19:41.
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:04   #108
BHPian

Default Lineas on ECR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
No issues mate, let's postpone to next WE. 14th June then?

Gears,
Red-One.
BUMP.

Mark your calendar guys, 14th June, Sunday, ECR, 10 AM?

Gears,
Red-_ne.
RedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:11   #109
BHPian

RedOne how many linea owners are there in chennai to make to the meet ? Are we allowed to bring the family ?
ManMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

yes, you can bring your famiily members.
Already i marked the calendar and Awaiting eagerly to see you all.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 14:52   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
RedOne how many linea owners are there in chennai to make to the meet ? Are we allowed to bring the family ?
I guess around 4-5 will turn up, though there are more even on t-bhp. Family welcome!

Blue Lagoon resort on ECR was recommended earlier. Everyone OK with that? Time is 10:30 AM onwards.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 24th June 2009, 11:57   #112
BHPian

Default 3000 km update

I crossed 3000 kms this week and the car went for it's first service. Here's the update:

I did a couple of Pondy drives. One was purely a drive; took ECR upto the outskirts of Pondy, had a tea, turned around and drove back. Maintained 80-120 with a few high rpm bursts to pass traffic etc. Got 19.2 kmpl.
The second trip was to Zest resorts, past pondy and included some local running in Chennai and Pondy. Got 18.5 kmpl. Usual in-city running averages 12.5. The car is a pleasure to drive on the highways and the planted feel and driving manners are something typically assiciated with much more expensive cars. Definitely not there in my OHC.

Sent for my first service at 3000 kms and had a list of items to have looked at. Most of the issues came back intact. Comments in brackets are response from TASS (Corcorde @ Ambattur)
  1. Sound from left front, when in gear and running, only when engine warm. (Sound is from exhaust joint, all cars have it!)
  2. Bulges on bonnet (we cannot see them)
  3. Sound from right front above 3000 rpm (we cannot hear it)
  4. Booming sound from suspension/boot when seated at rear, over even small road irregularities ( - )
  5. Chrome beading peeling (fixed well, stuck with adhesive)
  6. Radio reception bad even for local channels ( - )

The car came back in good shape except for a black spot on the rear seat. It was very well cleaned, inside and outside, all fluids were topped up etc. 0 charge. They recommended underbody protection but I wanted to clear up all other issues before going in for that. Need to speak with TASS again on the pending issues.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 29th June 2009, 16:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Angry TASS cant see the bulges??..show them Karthik's pics

Quote:
  1. Sound from left front, when in gear and running, only when engine warm. (Sound is from exhaust joint, all cars have it!)
  2. Bulges on bonnet (we cannot see them)
Red-One.
Hi,
Good to see your car crossing 3000kms and going strong. As far as the bulges on the bonnet go, they seem to be a "known issue" as we have more than one car at TBHP having them. I would suggest going to TASS with other TBHPians and collectively addressing the issue if "They cant See Them". Karthik has also taken clear pictures of the bulges that can be shown to the staff there along with the car if they want more proof or give explanations like "You must have done something Saar"....

I m somehow not able to digest the exhaust joint being noisy only after the engine warms up. This doesnt mean it can be noisy while cold though....
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 10:33   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi,
As far as the bulges on the bonnet go, they seem to be a "known issue" as we have more than one car at TBHP having them. I would suggest going to TASS with other TBHPians and collectively addressing the issue if "They cant See Them". Karthik has also taken clear pictures of the bulges that can be shown to the staff there along with the car if they want more proof or give explanations like "You must have done something Saar"....
Yup devnath, I am in touch with Karthik. Karthik, any updates???

I called up TASS and complained that all issues came back unresolved. Good news is that they seem to be scared of the service folks from Pune, as he requested not to raise my unresolved issues with them when they call for feedback! They sent someone over to my office to check the cars again.

The technician acknowledged the issues and have asked for the car to be sent back to the service station. I'll do so when I get my other car back.

As per the technician, the sound from left front is either from the clutch or engine mounts. The sound from the rear could be bearings. Bonnet bulge will be painted (though I'm not sure I want to do that without identifying the cause). For radio reception issue, I need to talk to showroom accessory department.

-sigh-

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 1st July 2009, 10:46   #115
BHPian

Quote:
. Good news is that they seem to be scared of the service folks from Pune, as he requested not to raise my unresolved issues with them when they call for feedback! They sent someone over to my office to check the cars again.

The technician acknowledged the issues and have asked for the car to be sent back to the service station. I'll do so when I get my other car back.
Well I think it's a good idea to raise the unresolved issues during feedback. Bad Service delivery is not always the company's fault. It can also be due to an Auth.Serv.Stat that does not care. In this case unless we give feedback how would Fiat identify and haul up such a shoddy A.S.S ?
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 14:35   #116
Senior - BHPian

Angry Get in touch with Fiat if issues persist

Quote:
Yup devnath, I am in touch with Karthik. Karthik, any updates???

I called up TASS and complained that all issues came back unresolved. Good news is that they seem to be scared of the service folks from Pune, as he requested not to raise my unresolved issues with them when they call for feedback! They sent someone over to my office to check the cars again.

As per the technician, the sound from left front is either from the clutch or engine mounts. The sound from the rear could be bearings. Bonnet bulge will be painted (though I'm not sure I want to do that without identifying the cause). For radio reception issue, I need to talk to showroom accessory department.

-sigh-

Gears,
Red-One.

Well, a new clutch making noise is something which could be serious. And if the engine mounts make a noise ( but how is that possible??), it could mean they are either not properly fitted/aligned/tightened or that they broken...

Bearings at the rear could mean wheel bearings, did the technician jack up one wheel at a time and try to rotate it manually to check if it still made the noise? You too could try it and check. Also you could coast along a slope with the car in neutral and the engine switched off ( remember you would have only the hand brake) and listen for any sounds that come from the rear.

IMHO, painting the bonnet bulges wont help if they arise again, the root cause needs to be identified and fixed. I would suggest be with the car when it is taken in for rectifications and insist on seeing the root cause of these issues and then see it getting fixed. If the dealer/service station does not permit you to be with the car, contact Fiat directly through their website. Fiat is known to be addressing issues very aggressively these days.

Any by the way my name is Dev and not devnath....!!!!
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 12:16   #117
BHPian

Default MJD mileage

What are the typical mileages you Linea owners get at what average speed?

I got 18-19 on highways and 12+ in 100% city driving, always with AC on. Last 3 tankfills (2 at IOC on LB Road and 1 at Shell) have been returning 10+ only. Average speed is 17 kmph.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:04   #118
BHPian

Quote:
What are the typical mileages you Linea owners get at what average speed?

I got 18-19 on highways and 12+ in 100% city driving, always with AC on. Last 3 tankfills (2 at IOC on LB Road and 1 at Shell) have been returning 10+ only. Average speed is 17 kmph.

Gears,
Red-One.
I get 13.5 Km/L in city traffic with 100% AC ON set at 20. Average speed is 23 Kmph. On highway I get 16.5 Km/L at average speed of 70 Kmph.
nehamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:32   #119
BHPian

Default 8500 KM update

My Linea crossed 8500 KM and though it was time for an update, so here goes:

I had send the car back to TASS as most of the issues (niggles, LOL) were unresolved and this time the new SA took interest in listening for the sounds/rattles etc. Car came back with most of the issues resolved, except for the vibrating sound from right side A pillar, which is still there. I didn't take up the bonnet bulge issue as I didn't want them to just repaint it and was hoping for a more permanent solution.

While cleaning the interiors, I noticed that the TASS guys had wedged all rear seatbelt buckles under the seat, maybe in their effort to eliminate all sources of rattles. As a result, when I got them out again, all of them are badly scratched due to contact with the floor. Also, the 2 loops to pull and flip the seat back is now missing. While on the subject of interiors, cleaning the seat fabric is a major pain. I found a Wurth cleaning spray which does get the stains out but is a lot of work. I need to get leathers ASAP but am not getting the time.

The rear quarter glass chrome beading, which was loose and was fixed by TASS during 1st service, fell off. They must've used the OE glue . There is a new sound which occurred couple of times. While doing 50-60 kmph, on giving a sharp cut to the left (e.g. to avoid Mr. biker who stopped in the middle of the road to inspect his rear tyre) and when the right front suspension compresses rapidly, there is a loud "CLONK" kinda sound. Loud enough to be heard clearly over loud music. TASS didn't find anything wrong. Any suggestions?

My mileage seems to be dropping, now hovering at around 10 kmpl in Chennai traffic. My route is short and bad but I used to get 12 initially. I did a couple of Chennai-Bangalore drives. When maintaining 120, i got 18. When doing 140, I got 16. When maintaining 100, I got 23! Each is the average over 350 kms on individual runs. All with 100% AC. I think I got 23 maybe because when doing 100, whenever the speed dropped due to traffic, I didn't drop a gear (or 2) and get back to cruising speed ASAP, rather gradually accelerating back to speed. Other than that I was driving normally and did not baby the throttle or anything.

Overall, there are no issues or niggles now and a big to the car. TASS could be better. The car is a pleasure to drive and I keep looking for an excuse for a long drive. The engine seems to be getting smoother with more kms. There were a couple of times I had do panic braking from high speeds and the stability was just fantastic. In contrast, I was never comfortable to maintain speeds above 120 in my OHC and brakes, even with a tyre upgrade was prone to locking.

The FIAT Evil Eye seems to be spreading. Some friends had piled the parcel shelf with cushions and other stuff and when I reversed, hit an electric post right in the center of the boot. There is a small dent and missing paint on the bumper and boot now, which I need to get painted.

Gears,
Red-One.

Last edited by RedOne : 22nd October 2009 at 12:36.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:38   #120
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: One more Fiat Linea ownership review:

Hi RedOne, good review I must admit, went through each & every post. I guess you are enjoying your car to the fullest, as there has been no update to your thread for almost a year & a half now. I hope everything is fine. By now you must have covered thousands of miles. Would like to know how your car has fared till now. How much are the servicing/ maintenance costs? Please update your thread as per your convenience.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote