Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:38   #1246
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Gadgetfreak,

I haven't found the raised 2012 puntos and Lineas "odd" in terms of look unlike many others here.
So At first glance I could not make out from the pictures that your car has the new GC.

Budget permitting, I may also go for this on my punto even though GC complaints was mostly with lineas and I'm more than happy with my car's GC.
I was only worried about handling since I've not been able to drive a 2012 punto/linea.
But your post is reassuring. Let me see how things pan out.

Congratulations of your revived ride and wish you a problem free ownership.
If you really dont have much issue with the GC on your car why dont you wait till your current suspensions go bad i.e consume their usable life and then upgrade.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:41   #1247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi Guys,

My linea becomes the first official linea to be fitted with GC kit. What a feeling, its like flying in air and pasing mountain below you, previously even coconut shell on road used to kiss by car and now mountains look smaller, height change was from 145mm to almost 180mm. DID a test drive on ORR to check any wobbling or any other kinda issue, touched 178kmph, absolutely no issue found except for a little wobbling between 80 and 140 speed which was resolved by SS team after back from test drive. All in all a great experience. Please find below few images.
Congratulations !!
Did you notice any increased body roll? Did you try any sharp turns apart from the high speed runs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Reached home and got another great surprise, Had ordered for Racechip on last saturday from Germany and it had arrived yesterday. Wow what quick and prompt service. Now just itching to fit and test the kit in my car. Will keep you posted once i am done with testing.
You are forewarned. The rush is addictive!
kdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:00   #1248
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
Congratulations !!
Did you notice any increased body roll? Did you try any sharp turns apart from the high speed runs?
Yup, Myself and Service center manager, we both went for a TD after installation of GC kit, he also wanted to test this along with high speed turns, did we see any issue, well none on turns, though a strange issue of wobbling between speeds 80 - 120 was noticed as already mentioned by me. It was resolved by interchanging the front and rear tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdadi View Post
You are forewarned. The rush is addictive!
Lol, I agree. I got the kit and was very eager to have it connected, but the air filter of Linea has some buttons and removing them required some pressure and technique, I took SS manager into confidence and asked him to get this done for me as i never wanted to take a chance and end up breaking some part, he asked me to come down to SS, I reached there as soon as I could and we installed the kit, though locating a place for placing the chip involved some brain storming. After installation before cranking he told me that any consequences arising would be mine. I said ok and we started the car, First time car started with lot of shaking of engine and we looked at each others face, then when car was cranked for the second time, it refused to start and ECU error was being displayed, then we both simultaneously suggested that this could be because we were testing the unit without closing/fitting the air filters. After fitting everything, we started the car and it started as smoothly as a hot knife passing through butter. I asked SS manager to test drive, he drove the car inside SS and told me that linea has major lag issue in 2nd gear and he wanted to test that, he was very satisfied with that, We both wanted to go for a test drive but my daughter was waiting for me at home, so we decided to keep TD date for next time.

I will be visiting SS again soon to collect rubber paint, paint of door pads have started peeling off and small pieces are falling apart, to make matter worse, my little angel keeps pulling off small pieces if she notices them hanging with one end loose, also she sometimes keeps her legs on dashboard (Near glove compartment), because of this paint in that area also has started fading and one can see brownish layer appearing below, initially i thought these were the dirt marks of her shoes but I was informed that it is the below layer of paint.

Overall I am very happy with works done on my linea in last one week, ground clearance really makes me feel happy, it looks as if in one night govt has removed all speed breakers and path-holes so that i can drive mar car without kissing the road.

Now I am waiting for some feedback's on K&N air filter so that I can go for that also.

Thanks for appreciating my setup, I wish all of you a happy and safe driving.

Is anyone else also facing this issue?
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:03   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 5,927 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
If you really dont have much issue with the GC on your car why dont you wait till your current suspensions go bad i.e consume their usable life and then upgrade.
Let me reiterate: I'm more than happy with my current GC...the car just loves eating junk food like road humps

Thankyou amit_mechengg,
Your suggestion is a very good one and infact I had thought of the same, but I really don't know if I can do that.
That's because if we take an approximate life of the suspensions to be 50k kms for a change, It'll take me atleast another 2 years to reach there.
And by that time I don't know if I'll get this upgrade for this price since I'm under the impression that the current upgrade price is a special price for existing customers (correct me if I'm wrong).
If its not a special price and/or if the upgrade will be available till many days to come, waiting for the present suspensions to near their end of life would be the most sensible thing to do.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd April 2012 at 17:04.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:13   #1250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
And by that time I don't know if I'll get this upgrade for this price since I'm under the impression that the current upgrade price is a special price for existing customers (correct me if I'm wrong).
If its not a special price and/or if the upgrade will be available till many days to come, waiting for the present suspensions to near their end of life would be the most sensible thing to do.
Hemant I am not sure if this is true but I assume this offer may not last long because, a single suspension costs around 7k plus labor and if we calculate that for all four replacements, then it comes to 28k, Company is currently offering this for around 13k (For linea, Punto is a little expensive). But why would company like to loose on making some money and may rollback this offer. But this is entirely my assumption. Compnay may even recall all its older vehicle as a good will gesture and publicity stunt and replace it for free. This again is my assumption but hope is comes true.

In any case I think going for it is no harm as roads are eating away the piece of mind, it makes a bigger dent on heart when our vehicle is punished by speed breakers and bumps.
Gadgetfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:13   #1251
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Let me reiterate: I'm more than happy with my current GC...the car just loves eating junk food like road humps

Thankyou amit_mechengg,
Your suggestion is a very good one and infact I had thought of the same, but I really don't know if I can do that.
That's because if we take an approximate life of the suspensions to be 50k kms for a change, It'll take me atleast another 2 years to reach there.
And by that time I don't know if I'll get this upgrade for this price since I'm under the impression that the current upgrade price is a special price for existing customers (correct me if I'm wrong).
If its not a special price and/or if the upgrade will be available till many days to come, waiting for the present suspensions to near their end of life would be the most sensible thing to do.
FYI this is the mrp of the parts. Its nothing such as a special price, i even wont call it as a kit.

Forget that, there are enough chances that you can get these parts in much cheaper prices in aftermarket places like KAVA automobiles etc.

Use up the current set up as much as you can. Belive me i have tested 2012 car a lot too and my old linea with current suspension set up feels more planted.

I hardly scrape as i mostly drive in city and good highways. Initially when my car was new i scrapped some 5-10 times. Since then i learnt how not to scrap and i am happy since then
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:18   #1252
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
FYI this is the mrp of the parts. Its nothing such as a special price, i even wont call it as a kit.

Forget that, there are enough chances that you can get these parts in much cheaper prices in aftermarket places like KAVA automobiles etc.

Use up the current set up as much as you can. Belive me i have tested 2012 car a lot too and my old linea with current suspension set up feels more planted.

I hardly scrape as i mostly drive in city and good highways. Initially when my car was new i scrapped some 5-10 times. Since then i learnt how not to scrap and i am happy since then

Hi AMit,

No offense meant but i beg to disagree, I am driving my car after fitting GC kit, it looks and feels great, a little issue that I had faced for the 1st time was when I started driving and dashboard was blocking the closer view, but a little height adjustment resolved the issue. Well I also defer on costing part, Kindly read my previous post, 4 suspensions may cost 28k upwards where as this kit is available for 13k.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:55   #1253
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi AMit,

No offense meant but i beg to disagree, I am driving my car after fitting GC kit, it looks and feels great, a little issue that I had faced for the 1st time was when I started driving and dashboard was blocking the closer view, but a little height adjustment resolved the issue. Well I also defer on costing part, Kindly read my previous post, 4 suspensions may cost 28k upwards where as this kit is available for 13k.
Why will they cost you 28k?

Please check the attached spare part price list

1. Front RH strut/ shock absorber = Rs.1951
2. Front LH strut/ Shock absorber = Rs.1951
3. Rear Shock Absorber L and R 2 = Rs. 2,390.00
4. Rear Spring Left and Right 2 = Rs. 1,000.00
5. Front Bump Stopper L and R 2 = Rs. 1,630.00

How much is the total ? = Rs. 8922

How much did you pay?

Sir, Fiat charged you MRP + extra labor charges + taxes extra. Dont be under an impression that you got a so called kit in half the price
Attached Files
File Type: pdf linea_diesel.pdf (58.8 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 2nd April 2012 at 17:56.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:13   #1254
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Why will they cost you 28k?

Please check the attached spare part price list

1. Front RH strut/ shock absorber = Rs.1951
2. Front LH strut/ Shock absorber = Rs.1951
3. Rear Shock Absorber L and R 2 = Rs. 2,390.00
4. Rear Spring Left and Right 2 = Rs. 1,000.00
5. Front Bump Stopper L and R 2 = Rs. 1,630.00

How much is the total ? = Rs. 8922

How much did you pay?

Sir, Fiat charged you MRP + extra labor charges + taxes extra. Dont be under an impression that you got a so called kit in half the price

Yes there was some miscommunication. The price is coming to approx 10k and newer being bigger might be expensive by 1k more. So I agree that Fiat is not giving sny discount, but GC is an issue no matter how you handle the speed breakers. So I am more happy that this option is available for older linea holders also, people getting some modification done from outside might loose warranty so I agree mostly with what you said but not going for GC is something I may differ on.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:42   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,159
Thanked: 5,927 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
not going for GC is something I may differ on.
GC is more an issue with Linea than Punto Owing to the longer wheel base.
Its 2603mm for Linea and 2510mm for Punto as per the website
When I sit in my colleague's Linea, I can easily make out this difference.

Anyways, please post your experiences after you drive more.
I feel people would be more interested with your experiences on the highway after the GC increase.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:48   #1256
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,406
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Yes there was some miscommunication. The price is coming to approx 10k and newer being bigger might be expensive by 1k more. So I agree that Fiat is not giving sny discount, but GC is an issue no matter how you handle the speed breakers. So I am more happy that this option is available for older linea holders also, people getting some modification done from outside might loose warranty so I agree mostly with what you said but not going for GC is something I may differ on.
GC upgrade is boon for people who drive on bad roads and who scrap regularly.
They are good while going over the speed breakers too.

The price of new suspensions which i just saw is Rs.1991 instead of Rs.1951. Nothing much.

The real scenario is the new suspensions are on a bit softer side.
So if 2 persons sit at front in new linea, it lowers a bit more than the old linea.
So effectively the height increase which is just 17 mm (185-168) diminishes more with more load.

Secondly since your is a brand new suspension you must be feeling the handling is bit same. But its a fact that due to more stiffer suspension and low GC the old linea handles better than the new.

But dont worry, both the old as well as new handle better than other cars.

Yes you may loose warranty if you change the suspensions from outside when the car is within warranty.

Thats why i said let your old suspensions loose life , might be till then your car goes out of warranty and there are also chances that no one would know that you upgraded from outside.

For a moment forget fitting it from outside. Lets say get it upgraded from FIAT itself but when the usable life of your current suspensions is over.

Cheers and enjoy your beautiful ride
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 08:41   #1257
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Planning to take my car to RDC for GC kit upgrade change as i get a constant grunting sound from my suspension on pot holes. does anyone know how much will it cost?
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 10:11   #1258
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea - 2nd Birthday !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Planning to take my car to RDC for GC kit upgrade change as i get a constant grunting sound from my suspension on pot holes. does anyone know how much will it cost?
I dont think you need a GC kit. The noise is just from age in what is a comparative stiffly sprung car. A few components replaced should take care of the issue.

I too have a 09 Punto and once in a while get grunting noise from the suspension. But as the roads in my city are on the good side, with potholes not being the norm, I havnt found the noise to be a big issue. But have been experiencing suspension noise on and off for more than a year now.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 18:29   #1259
Senior - BHPian
 
geeash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Finally sold my Linea after 6 years of ownership. It's a car in which I have travelled paths less travelled. It was my first investment. It was the first car I bought after my marriage with Geetha Aswin. It's in it I have grown in stature in career and it had been with me thick and thin during the lows and highs of my life. It gave me new friends Binze John Madhusudhan Rhenius Karthik Subramanian and thalaivar Teky Suresh Kumar. I have had some fond memories with it and some sentiments too. And it has been one hell of a rollercoaster ride with it. Now at the birth of my first son I really can't see it go. I really miss it. But whatever it is I can proudly say I owned a Lovely Adorable Fiat Linea. Hope the new owners treat it well and take care of it.
geeash is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2nd Italian Beauty - Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD finneyp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 9 5th December 2017 20:36
Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall justin.das Technical Stuff 128 5th December 2017 19:56
Fiat Linea front arm rest for Fiat Punto NSK123 Modifications & Accessories 47 15th April 2013 23:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks