Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th April 2009, 18:27   #1

Default Yet Another Hyundai i10 Automatic (w/ Pics)

The decision was a very hard one. Ditching my 5-year old (actually 12 years ) companion. But there was no other way as she was aging and as I could not afford her medical expenses anymore. So finally traded her off for the new shiny hyundai i10 Magna. HE has been getting along very well till now.

Once I decided to sell my zen, I started scouting for a better bargain. The problem was the car was registered in KA but I was trying to sell it in TN. Finally, HMP decided to take it and offered me around 55K + 15 K. So I was happy with 70K net as Maruti True Value in Bangalore was offering me only 65K (without seeing the condition of my vehicle).

The customer service in HMP was excellent. I had a close friend of mine working as a sales representative and he made sure everything went smooth for me. I had decided on i10 as soon as the Kappa auto was release last year and hence took no time to book one. The color was chosen by my better half. Oyster Grey.

The dealer offered me 15K exchange bonus, 13K free insurance, 4K Corporate discount + Sunfilm (3M) + Keyless entry (Hyundai Original Accessory) + the usual Mud Kit.

Took a bank loan at around 12% for the car from a private bank. Not sure if the rate of interest is ok but I could not help it as I was eligible for a bank loan from PSU's.

I made sure I got the BS stock tyre as I planned to go for an immediate tyre upgrade.

Before taking the delivery, had my t-bhp checklist and made sure everything was in place. Except for a minor scrath near the drive door key provision, everything else was perfect. But the dealer said he would "rub it off". So all in all, I am one happy customer of HMP.

Tyre Upgrades in my next post.
greyoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 19:20   #2
BHPian

Congrats!! Do attach a few pics of your new ride. Drive safe.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 19:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! More and more people making a sensible choice and picking the best city runabout there is on the mrket today. I like, I like.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 19:44   #4

Thanks a lot Friends. Here goes my tyre upgrade story:

Test drove the i10 automatic as soon as the car was released in the market along with couple of other automatics ( Honda City and Verna ). Honda city was absolutely a pleasure to drive and Verna was simply awesome in its pickup given the diesel engine. But I do not want to compare apples with oranges here and since I could afford only a car above 5L, I chose i10.

But nevertheless, I wanted to ensure that my i10 is indeed a pleasure-to-drive. Hence goes all the upgrades.

As soon as I booked the car, I started the hunt for the tyres and ICE. Accompanied by Fountainheader, went to couple of tyres shops and got the quote. But the Plati PY 509 (M6 replica) caught my eyes as soon as I saw them. It was love at first sight. Finally, chose the alloys and tyres from Raja Tyres in Pycrofts Road, Chennai. The shop is clumsy but they do a wonderful job and compared to other shops, the guy is pretty knowledgeable and moreover, they are the least expensive.

The alloys are ofcourse, Plati PY 509 and based on the inputs from Fountainheader, went for Yokohama A-drive. The upsize was the one recommended by team bhp for i10 - 175/70/R13 (thanks to our very own tyre guru iraghava)

As soon as I took the delivery (1 week from the date of booking as promised by the dealer), drove the car with stock tyres for around 30 KM and felt that the car was abysmally undertyred. Especially when you drive it in OMR, the confidence is very less with the stock tyres.

So, the next morning, took the car to Raja tyres and got my upsize fitted in. The guy bought back the stock tyres for Rs. 1900 each. Each of the Yokohamas cost me Rs. 2750. All in all spent 20K out of my pocket for a set of 5 including alloys and tyres. Wheel alignment, nitrogen filling etc. was done by Raja tyres themselves.

The handling of the car had dramatically improved once the upsize was done. The car felt more stable, had better grips on the road. But I felt the steering had tightened a bit. I am not sure if that is really the case or its just my psychological feeling. Not but not the least, the stance of the car is now impressive. Never thought i10 would look so macho.

I drive to my office in OMR for around 30 KM everyday and never felt that I had made a wrong decision with the tyre upgrade. The FE hasn't got impacted much. For the last two re-fill, got a FE of around 10-11 KMPL with 80% AC on.

Guess not bad for an automatic.

ICE Upgrades in my next Post.
Old 30th April 2009, 20:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyoyster View Post
The alloys are ofcourse, Plati PY 509 and based on the inputs from Fountainheader, went for Yokohama A-drive. The upsize was the one recommended by team bhp for i10 - 175/70/R13 (thanks to our very own tyre guru iraghava)
Congrats dude. But you have to post pics man. Not done! Waiting for pics. Its raining i10 automatics all over. Good you upgraded the rubbers, they're awefully skinny the stock ones. Pics dude, pics!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 30th April 2009 at 20:18.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 23:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Congrats dude. But you have to post pics man. Not done! Waiting for pics. Its raining i10 automatics all over. Good you upgraded the rubbers, they're awefully skinny the stock ones. Pics dude, pics!
Few pictures of the alloys and the tyres. I haven't yet taken them fitted in with my car but definitely will post once I click them.

[IMG]C:\Users\Sivakumar\Desktop\10042009045.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\Sivakumar\Desktop\10042009044.jpg[/IMG]
Old 30th April 2009, 23:34   #7
BHPian

I think it is raining i10 AT here. Welcome to exciting world of AT cars. It is good to see that you have upgraded to alloys and that FE is pretty good.

It is great car to own and don't forget to post the pictures of her.

Safe drive.

Last edited by cvvikram : 30th April 2009 at 23:38.
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 11:45   #8

Quote:
[IMG]C:\Users\Sivakumar\Desktop\10042009045.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\Sivakumar\Desktop\10042009044.jpg[/IMG]
I guess I still need to learn how to post pictures in the forum.

OK. Here goes my story of ICE upgrade.

Like my tyre hunt, I had decided on the ICE even before I got the delivery. One of my close friends gifted me his 2-Channel Amp and Subwoofer an year ago and I decided not to spend anymore money on those two. Even though both are SONY .

The search for the HU began and through extensive reading on t-bhp and through some of the invaluable inputs from Fountainheader and nitrious, narrowed on Kenwood/Pioneer but was more inclined towards Kenwood 7539U.

Roamed a day in Chennai hunting for 7539 but everybody said the model wasn't yet available in India (but I know people who have bought in Mumbai).
So finally had to settle for the lower model 7039U after lot of roaming around. Bought it from Car-o-drome in TNagar for Rs. 7500 with B/W. I guess the price is decent enough here eventhough I have seen posts in t-bhp quoting it at around 5K without B/W.

The features of 7039U was more than I could ask for. Front USB and Front Aux-in. Perfectly goes along with my 8GB card in N82. The sound output of Kenwood is excellent and I have no issues with the head unit. Except for the fact that it does not recognize the 3rd generation IPOD nano. Not even as an USB device. I am yet to sort out that issue. The lighting of the HU is excellent and goes along very well with the biege dash of i10.

Next comes the speakers. Now the place is Jamal Car Accessories in Beach Line road. I must say, the work they have done is excellent. You can see them here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/766371-post1.html

Decided on JBL GTO 608 Component for the front and JBL GTO 938 Coaxial for the rear. Both are 6 1/2. The speaker slot in i10's doors are 5 1/2 and so had to cut off some plastic from the doors. I am not sure of the prices here but both of them together cost me around Rs. 9000

Even before the guy started working on my ICE, I clearly told him not to cut any electrical wires which might void my electrical warranty and use plugs instead.

After 3 hours of waiting, the ICE was up and blasting. The guy used wooden planks to fix the speakers onto the doors and they are very effective in absorbing the excessive vibrations. I will try to post some detailed pictures of my ICE setup in the near future.

Other upgrades in my car include seat covers (in two tone: beige and black) and leather steering wrap from Adamjee in Whites Road. Though I am not very happy with the work, they aren't shoddy either. Will post the pics of them too.

Future Plans: Fog Lamps in front ( I don't like the empty slot there), HSR Number plates, Windshield Sunfilm etc.

Thanks for patiently listening to my ramblings here. I hope this will help somebody in the future.
Old 1st May 2009, 14:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess I still need to learn how to post pictures in the forum.
Go through this thread in Announcements, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:15   #10

Finally, shot a few pictures of my i10 today but the car was parked outside overnight and hence you might see lots of crow droppings over it
Attached Thumbnails
Yet Another Hyundai i10 Automatic (w/ Pics)-resize_1.jpg  

Yet Another Hyundai i10 Automatic (w/ Pics)-resize_2.jpg  

Yet Another Hyundai i10 Automatic (w/ Pics)-resize_3.jpg  

Yet Another Hyundai i10 Automatic (w/ Pics)-resize_4.jpg  

Yet Another Hyundai i10 Automatic (w/ Pics)-resize_5.jpg  

Old 3rd May 2009, 08:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, shot a few pictures of my i10 today but the car was parked outside overnight and hence you might see lots of crow droppings over it
Finally dude! where did you get your sear covers made & how much did it cost you? You're lucky you can put dark tints, here in Bombay, i'd be pulled over at every junction for violation. Nice Alloys congrats!
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:25   #12
BANNED

Its raining A/t i10 here. Congrats greyoyster, cool colour and cool alloys.Definately worth changine your stock tyres which always makes you feel suggish and unconfident.Keep updating and drive safe.CHEERS!!
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:08   #13
BHPian

i 10 is a perfectly designed car for our times. With the amount of traffic around, you cant go wrong with a car like i 10. Great engine and beautiful compact design. And the best part, the AT. Congrats on a great buy. One question, how did you sell your KA car in TN? Did the guys not ask for you an NOC from TN? If they did, how did you go about getting it?
nvldvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congrats!!! This must be the 5th i10 AT on teambhp! Nice choice of alloys too! Keep us posted on feedback and especially on the FE.

Mods, please edit the title to remove "w/pics". And then remove this line as well!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hey congrats!!! This must be the 5th i10 AT on teambhp! Nice choice of alloys too! Keep us posted on feedback and especially on the FE.

Mods, please edit the title to remove "w/pics". And then remove this line as well!
370 Kms on trip meter and still running . Hope it goes past 385.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Finally dude! where did you get your sear covers made & how much did it cost you? You're lucky you can put dark tints, here in Bombay, i'd be pulled over at every junction for violation. Nice Alloys congrats!
The seat covers cost me around Rs. 3500 including the cost for tight fitting (with aluminum rods fitted in)

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd May 2009 at 23:12. Reason: Use multi quotes please