Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 00:18   #16
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I concur 100%. Both of these are must do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Lovely sight and congratulations!

My two bits:

1. Change the rear mudflaps to plain black ones instead of the current 'Tata Safari dollar' ones!
2. Remove the dealer stickers immediately!
3. Go for the Rs. 850 'High Security Number Plates''. They really add that extra bit of class. Check out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 12:57   #17
BHPian
 
sen2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 536
Thanked: 611 Times
Question 1000 KM done! Help needed for first service...

1000KM driving update -

The Safari is nice to drive. I upgraded from an automatic santro and did not have any knowledge of manual driving but still I managed just fine. In fact it took me only a day to understand the clutch, brake accelerator manipulations for bumper to bumper or 100 kmph+ driving.
I must thank our driver for being such a great teacher. :-) (despite of his acidic remarks like - "We are not going to take the gearbox home, so please stop trying to tear it out" or "After the drive we will fry some omelettes on the clutch plates" or "Safari is not for physically handicapped, so start using both legs" etc.)

However, I did notice some issues while driving which I should report at the time of first service. I am posting these here as I am not sure if they are problems with the "car" OR "me".

1. 2nd Gear - I feel 2nd gear is problematic at the higher end. It is supposed to push the car to 40 kmph at engine speed of 2500 RPM, so that one can engage the third gear. However, it can only reach upto 35-36kmph at the said RPM. One needs to hold the rpm there for a good 40-45 seconds for the car to reach 40 and then upshift.

2. 3rd Gear - Much has been said about the 3rd gear of safari in the forum. However, the lower end is a bit trouble when up shifting. Due to the issue with 2nd gear mentioned above, I sometimes tried to engage 3rd gear at arobnd 36-37 kmph. This makes the engine vibrate softly (which I feel is called Lugging). However, it pulls to 40 (while lugging) much aggressively than the 2nd gear at 2500 RPM. However, if I am driving in 3rd gear and slow down till 32-33 and re-accelerate without downshifting, it does not LUG!


Are these normal behaviours?

Am I missing something in my driving to counter these situations otherwise?

Should I report this to TASS?



3. Steering at high speed -

I feel a tiny lag while making small corrections at 100+. I kind of feel nervous about this.
It has got a small (maybe 4-5 degrees) of false. (I know power steering don't have false, but still!). The lag may be due to the false as I turn the steering very very gently while correcting and reflexively over correct once the first correction does not put out any result. This all makes me perceive that there is a lag!

I know this is convoluted.. but still.


4. Which service station to go -

Dear Mumbai Tata Safari Owners... please advise! My default choice is Wasan Motors -Deonar. Please advise if this is good or I should go to any other TASS.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2009 at 15:30. Reason: 2 smileys max. Please read the rules. Thanks.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 13:49   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Ah, finally an update.

Your driver is a very nice character - lovely comments! ROFL!!!

For the second gear, I would suggest that you stick to the RPM and not look at the speed. I reckon this is just something that you need to get used to, aka, driving style. But then, if you feel it is an issue, go ahead and report it, no harm in that!

So where have you been to with your ride? Has this 1000kms been just city drive or highway also? And did you drop the wheels into any more "pits" for the 4x4 test?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 14:08   #19
BHPian
 
sen2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 536
Thanked: 611 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Ah, finally an update.

Your driver is a very nice character - lovely comments! ROFL!!!

For the second gear, I would suggest that you stick to the RPM and not look at the speed. I reckon this is just something that you need to get used to, aka, driving style. But then, if you feel it is an issue, go ahead and report it, no harm in that!

So where have you been to with your ride? Has this 1000kms been just city drive or highway also? And did you drop the wheels into any more "pits" for the 4x4 test?
About the driver - Yes! I kind of run into smart behinds wherever I go or whatever I do. However, he's indeed a very nice chap and shares a great interest in cars. He has coldly informed me if I drop him from our planned Lahaul-Spiti-Kaza trip late october, he will lie down in front of the wheels and give up his life!

So far no trips at all other than one small 100 KM drive to a nearby beach town (Palghar) where everything other than the car sucked. I am planning a small trip to Hampi sometime after the first rain (750KM odd).
And no more 4x4 testing. Will catch up with the mumbai offroaders once my first service is done.

Now more queries -

1. From where do I buy Osram Night Brakers in Mumbai? Can I ask the TASS guys to fit it or have to get it done from outside?

2. I am planning to buy a POWERFUL horn. Now I don't want to disconnect my stock horn as using a POWERFUL horn in city is wrong. What is want is a toggle switch somewhere while the horn activator must remain on the steering. I have notice a few dead switches on the Safari dashboard (like the left most one in the cluster where you have the front AC and Air recirculation toggles). I wish to replace the dead switch with a live one and use it as a horn toggle.

I will request the Tata guys to do it for me. If they refuse... where do I go?

3. People advise Castro GTX instead of GTD. Is this important?

sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 17:52   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

for the horns, go for Roots or Bosch. i have Roots windtone 90 in my scorpio. however, i have replaced these new horns with the original horns as i dint want to mess with the original wiring of my car. they are running pretty fine, touch wood.

P.S.: if you plan to install Roots, no need to drive till mulund. you can visit this shop in hiranandani... (i forgot the name), its besides hotel UTSAV. however, they dont keep bosch.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari (2009) 2.2 VTT VX 4x4-31122008470.jpg  


Last edited by raj_5004 : 10th May 2009 at 17:53.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 13:36   #21
BHPian
 
tinnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 75
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Wow !!! Congrats Sen though a little belated now. Have always wanted to own this beastie. Great honest review too buddy. As for the gear change I would also suggest to stick to the RPM than the speeds. They are the real markers for gear change than the speed.
tinnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 15:34   #22
BHPian
 
sen2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 536
Thanked: 611 Times
Default 1st Service and Upgrade of Horn and Headlight

Got my first service done at 1346KM.

Service Centre -

It was a mixed feeling at the service station. I did not take an appointment and decided to head for the first service around 1 o'clock yesterday. First I dialed the board number of the service centre (Deonar - Wasan Motors, Near Govandi East) and was immediately refused by the lady who attended the call. I was asked to call back next day morning at 9 o'clock for an appointment.

However, I never let go of things based on call-centre remarks. I called back again, this time ready with a story. I told her that my safari will take up a long trip on Friday and I am busy on the previous two days. Hence I needed the service then as otherwise my free service limit of 1500 KM would be crossed.

The lady kept saying no, it's not possible and then suddenly...

"Did you say Safari?!!"

"Yes.. of course! Why?!"

"Please take down the mobile number of our Safari Service Advisor and speak to him directly."

I did that and the guy asked me to come over right away.

After a little bit of feasibility discussion and intervention from my sales guy (from the showroom, I kept him in the loop), he promised delivery within two and half hours.

The advisor took my car for a spin and found no issues regarding brake, body roll, steering lag etc. (I conjured these up as I felt the need of reporting "something" at least, otherwise I look like a lame customer who bought a 4x4 because of the sticker).

They changed the oil (with castrol gtx), added up some bardhal additive to the engine oil and gave me a bottle of oil which I need to pour in the diesel tank when I fill it next time. All put together, it costed around RS. 3500/- odd.

I asked him to check if he can increase the steering play for reducing turning radius. He tried it, but the steering started giving out some weird noise at full right turn. So he adjusted the settings back to normal.

Funny Incident -

I asked him for instructions on how to use the wind shield demister effectively (This falls under my check the knowledge of the mechanic module). He said... "Safari knobs and regulators are not good, they break easily. So don't use them. Wipe the glass with a cloth."
He supported his argument with a comparison between the quality of AC blower position and AC temperature control knobs with the blower speed control knobs. HE elatedly stated, "Blower control knob is much more strong and sturdy while other two knobs are bad. Why?! ... Because Tata company wants us to use only the blower knob and not the other ones!"

All-in-all, the service was satisfactory. It was way better than the treatment they were dealing out to poor indica and indigo owners. I did not have any major issue, so can't say how effective they will be when there will be a real problem.


Headlight and Horn upgrade -

Headlight - Osram Offroad 90/130 - Rs. 175/- each
Horn - Stebel Nautilus - Rs. 750/-
Relay (for headlight) - Rs. 500/- (local brand)
Cut-out (for Horn)- Rs. 55/-
Wires Etc. - Rs. 100/-
Installation - Rs. 150/-

The Horn sounds amazing. Its loud, very loud... but it does not irritate! The sound has some qualitative aspect and is not shrill as well. The sound is similar to the Volvo horns.
Overal, I like it!

The lights are good. But I can post a feedback only after I test them on a dark, twisty highway with frequent potholes and when it's raining cats and dogs.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 15:42   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
They changed the oil (with castrol gtx), added up some bardhal additive to the engine oil and gave me a bottle of oil which I need to pour in the diesel tank when I fill it next time. All put together, it costed around RS. 3500/- odd.
Not required, a simple rule , if its a cost and not part of the Service Schedule mentioned in the booklet and/or you can't understand it, just refuse.

They got successful in their sales pitch.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 15:45   #24
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Headlight - Osram Offroad 90/130 - Rs. 175/- each
Relay (for headlight) - Rs. 500/- (local brand)
Did they make any alterations to the wiring to put the relay and the headlight???
Because if any wiring alteration done by splitting/cutting the original wire then there will be problem for the warranty claims.

Quote:
gave me a bottle of oil which I need to pour in the diesel tank when I fill it next time.
This was not needed and as Dadu said they were successfull in selling you the oil.

Quote:
After a little bit of feasibility discussion and intervention from my sales guy (from the showroom, I kept him in the loop), he promised delivery within two and half hours.
You should have given them more time for doing the work, by doing this they will compromise on service.

Last edited by gowda79 : 13th May 2009 at 16:00.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

As for the engine oil - try Petronas Urania.

Tried it for 1300km now. Much more silent clatter compared to GTX Diesel or Mobil Super 1300
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:18   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Congrats on the Stebel, now all lesser mortals will run for their lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
They changed the oil (with castrol gtx), added up some bardhal additive to the engine oil and gave me a bottle of oil which I need to pour in the diesel tank when I fill it next time. All put together, it costed around RS. 3500/- odd.
You've been "had" with the Bardahl bit - no need really, certainly not at 1,500 kms
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:26   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As for the engine oil - try Petronas Urania.

Tried it for 1300km now. Much more silent clatter compared to GTX Diesel or Mobil Super 1300
Whats the spec of Urania -- strange name BTW.

And did you buy it from any authorised dealer in NCR and pricing info too.

and post the review in details please.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:28   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

So the first service and you get taken for a ride! You do enjoy rides, dont you Sen!

Anyway, as long as you are happy, so be it!

Good on the change of lighting. And at 90/130, I am sure you will have a high level of respect from the high-beamers!

Ah, the Stebel Nautilus, as Suman said, more respect.

When do you plan for a loooong ride?

Inspiring threads from ADC are a sure addictive and the temptation is hard to fight agains! And I am sure you are checking out TSK's thread current thread also.

So when eh??
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:28   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Whats the spec of Urania -- strange name BTW.

And did you buy it from any authorised dealer in NCR and pricing info too.

and post the review in details please.
He's picked it up for his Swift - its not a TATA approved oil so you're unlikely to get it at an ASC.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 16:30   #30
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 10 Times
Default


wow awesome picture man, surely this beast looks cool in that colour, mostly seens are in white and silvers.Kep updating and more pictures.Drive safe.CHEERS!!
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presenting the Safari 2.2 VTT VX twins-4x4 & 4x2 - ABS related issues persist SumitB Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 45 22nd September 2015 18:06
Heart rules over head. Booked, took the delivery of Black Safari VTT 2.2 VX 4X4 KVS Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 71 23rd October 2010 18:48
Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model? alexnazim SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 150 1st December 2009 11:20
BLACK STORM - The Arrival (Safari 2.2 Dicor VTT GX 4x4) Lukeskywalker Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 75 28th August 2009 21:14
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT RIPPED (Read post #94 before adding a TD report) .anshuman Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 213 11th October 2007 23:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks