Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd May 2009, 19:48   #1
Smile Palio Stile 1.1 woes

Hi All!

I am unsure as to whether this is the right place for me to post what hell I have gone through with my plans of buying a Palio 1.1 Stile in Kolkata. In any event I might as well get on with it.

My wife and I had liked the Palio Stile 1.1 and we decided to go ahead and buy the same especially since so many members of this community have spoken so highly of the vehicle. We had taken a casual test drive a few months ago and what we especially liked was the good solid feel of the car and the comforting THUNK when you closed the doors.

Accordingly we approached Lexus Motors in Kolkata and we test drove a black Palio Stile 1.1. I liked the offer which they were handing out and was looking forward to take a quantum leap from owning a Maruti Alto Lx to be part of the BIG LEAGUE!!!

However, there were a few concerns:
On the day I had taken the Test Drive the demo vehicle shuddered as though it was a 14 year old diesel Taxi in urgent need of a service.... Kolkatans will know what I mean...

I reported my concerns to the showroom who assured me that they will give me a fresh test drive and that something called the engine mounting cap had been breached and that they had replaced the same and that the car was not shuddering anymore.
In the meantime I had approached KB Motors to find out whether any other schemes were running on the Palio..... .

As I walked in and asked them about the Palio Stile 1.1 I was in all seriousness told not to buy the Palio but buy the Vista!!!!! I informed their customer relations manager that no sense of comfort was being given to my decision of going for a Palio Stile 1.1. But we were determined to buy a Palio and nothing else.

On the next day I went to Lexus Motors for my 3rd test drive and jokingly asked Niladri, the executive who was handling our case, that I hoped that the demo vehicle wasnt the one which was being sold to me.... In all earnestness he informed me that indeed the demo car would be the one which I got.

I was shocked!! I told him that the vehicle had already run in excess of 700 kms and there was no way I was taking a vehicle which had run that many kms. Very patiently he explained to me that all vehicles that are in their showroom are normally run about 700 to 800 kms to 'iron out any problems' and if I wanted a zero kilometer vehicle then the showroom would not take any responsibility!!!! Infact a red FIAT Linea which was lying in their showroom had already done 859 kms!!!

I asked them what was a warranty in aid of..... to which he tells me that warranties are there so???? I also told him that in the event I took the vehicle then after a week of driving the vehicle I would have reached 1000 kms and it would be time for me to put the car in for 1st service. I immediately informed them that I had no intentions of buying a used vehicle at the price of a new car.

Thereafter I had a closer look at the car and found faint scratches on the bonnet and that the beige interiors had become smudged with multiple handling. Also the plastic covers on the seats had been torn off. The only thing in place seemed to be the paper near the pedals which only got in the way.

No wonder Fiat is not doing well in India!!! I had hoped that with the TATAs handling the sales and service, FIAT would make a good comeback in India. But it looks as if TATA is bent on sabotaging FIATs reputation in India even more.

Needless to say that I have since revised my plans of acquiring a Palio Stile 1.1 and have gone back to trusted old Maruti!
newbiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats absolute madness! I would suggest you to stay away from that dealer rather than staying away from the car!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is a clear fraud by the Tata dealer!

Please report this matter to: service@fiapl.com
And check the other Tata Fiat dealers in your city.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you look for another dealer, this salesman seems seriously misinformed
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:21   #5

The attitude of the famous TATA dealer with regard to Fiat cars is abominable. Worse is their effort to rationalize their misdeed attributing it to dealer level checking of a new car. Being a Palio fanatic myself I wish you could try some other Fiat dealer before moving to Maruti-Suzuki.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:46   #6

that is as stupid and ridiculous as it gets!
trust some other dealer and TD another palio.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 10:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

What a bunch of cheats! When you pay for something new, you MUST get a brand new car only. That's why we recommend giving your allocated car a once over before she goes in for registration. Simply because once the car is registered, it is pretty much your property!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 12:47   #8

Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
That is a clear fraud by the Tata dealer!

Please report this matter to: service@fiapl.com
And check the other Tata Fiat dealers in your city.
Thanks! fior the update . Will be emailing them soon. However the entire experience has left a rather bitter feeling in my mouth and somehow am not feeling too comfortable about opting for a FIAT.

However I must record my thanks to this community and its efforts!!
newbiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 12:58   #9

@newbiedude, its clearly a case of fraud but however consider the fact that you got lucky for not going for Palio 1.1. Its an underpowered car in the segment, there are also speculations that its getting discontinued. Clearly it doesn't make commercial sense to buy it now, also avoid that dealer at every cost.

Last edited by grvanand : 4th May 2009 at 13:17.
grvanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 13:16   #10

I was also given a used UNO when I paid for a new one. I had already registered it. We have to do it before taking it out of the showroom. They just gave me the papers and said the car was in the yard from PDI. So I expected a new car and didn't bother. I was shocked when I finally saw the car. They gave me the same crap about testing. But I put my foot down and took a new car (waited for 2 weeks). I also made the dealer do all the RTO formalities by threatening to go to the consumer court. Finally the new car never gave me any problem. Just put your foot down and emand a new car.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:36   #11

@newbiedude: Sorry to know your experience. My father recently bought a palio stile 1.1 from RD Motors in VIP Road, Kolkata. There was a similar issue where those people were trying to sell a 2008 manufactured car. Later we got hold of the eastern region marketing manager Mr. Manish Agarwal. He sorted out the issue very fact and we got a brand new car. Its almost 2 months now, and its a very satisfying experience so far.

Mr suggestion is please call Mr. Manish Agarwal and explain him the problem. His mobile number is: 09903891090
sups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 16:28   #12

My goodness. any bad word is not worth for the dealer.

They are cheating openly.

One can bring them in court.

Feeling pity on people who are trapped by them.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote