Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th June 2005, 11:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

iceman, cool it. even i feel embarassed.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 16:34   #17
BANNED

Turbo Lover or shan it would be nice if you could provide us with the links please
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 17:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Try this - http://fun.diadiktyo.net/stream29/video/bmwRally.wmv

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2005, 18:41   #19
BHPian

Talking

Oh that video was crazy, how the hell could he do that? I thought it would topple. Thanks for the video.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2005, 13:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
oh...you outta town....thought the black X5 seen around bangalroe was yours...yuo got me going for a while !!

Apologies to all for teasing you all - was smitted by the car that I had to get it off my chest. I am in the UK on holiday and up to a lot. Am so busy that I have had not much time to write. Believe me I have done a lot that will be of interest to team-bhp. Ask the old man - he might know a thing or two. I would like to compose my thoughts and report out properly so please hold on.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 16:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

okay guys - got a spot of flu so what better than write the test out

[img=http://img63.echo.cx/img63/9889/dsc013199ch.th.jpg]

(click link for the interior)

So was armed with a X5 3.0 d sport - it comes with a mother of a low profile tyre and wheel combo. 185 bhp engine and oodles of torque.

Drove in city, motorways and undulating country roads in th Yorkshire dales in pretty blustering conditons - total of 450 miles see pic below

At the wheel - Very easy to set all the buttons and get comfy. Like a merc everything gets familiar at ease. Stereo controls are on the wheel as also cruise control . Good stereo but no sub. Bit of a stretch to get to the buttons due to the width. I really could not see the point of i-drive unless it is for suspension settings etc which one sets before starting off.

Performance - after a 530d - a bit disappointing from start but not really an issue. Mid range acceleration not bad. When I first drove it with 300 miles o nthe clock it was a bit stiff, 40000 miles on, the performance has improved. This is a big heavy car. Once on the move it keeps up. I took it upto 80mph as I was being careful about the greed cameras. In drive - the auto shifts well and responds to kickdown well. I tried the tiptronic and it was a bit slow witted when down shifting - flip the lever, after one second it responds. Same thing happened with a 316i that I also used.

Steering - Despite PAS, it is firm and on the stiffer side, I am not complaining ! It felt better than my VTec, once you are used to the height and car dynamics, you can accurately turn-in and and be in control. Powers out of bends well

Ride - low profile tyres means you feel the surface like a tightly set up track car. YOu do not feel knobbly surfaces unlike a swift.

On the motorway - Really great panoramic view - engine is muted - does not chug like the 530 d. Midrange acceleration is good but not fierce - tried dragging it on an airfield - brisk but do not expect much. Amazing car in heavy rain - just swish by

In town - well this is a big car

Country roads - this is where the car really got to me . On curvy roads - it held on, no rolling, body control taut - dulating curves at 60 mph - no problem - it even kept up with a Porsche 996 on a curvey road - although the porker out accelerated me.

Brakes - awesome - great feel and you know what the car is doing

Verdict - A really great all rounder for normal use- just put it in sport and let it shift. Car is three years old so the owner is selling it to get............another x5 - he will get close to what he paid for it. Not sure if the sport package would be right for India

After this, I knelt down and prayed in thanksgiving for the generosity is being allowed to be let loose with this car!!! Revvmaster must be having wet dreams !

Last edited by ajmat : 6th June 2005 at 16:08.
Old 6th June 2005, 17:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

haha...awesome...drove it for 40000miles!!! thats quite a bit..guess driving the vtec might be a problem now..
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 17:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
haha...awesome...drove it for 40000miles!!! thats quite a bit..guess driving the vtec might be a problem now..

I drove it for a few miles on delivery three years ago. Three years on, I took it for an extended 450 mile drive
Old 6th June 2005, 17:24   #24
BHPian

Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
I drove it for a few miles on delivery three years ago. Three years on, I took it for an extended 450 mile drive

is it your parent's or relative's car?.Ands what was that about a merc ?
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 17:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen
is it your parent's or relative's car?.Ands what was that about a merc ?

My cousin's - have driven loads of mercs also

All car buying decisions of my relatives are usually outsourced to Bangalore