Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 21:59   #61
jpm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chennai/Thanjavur
Posts: 107
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
feedback on one of the safari threads is that it is effective, but I'm not sure your dealer has the equipment, knowhow,experience, or even the awareness of such a thing. At least my dealer didnt
Greenhorn,
yes, what you say is true. The guys at concorde chennai pressured me to go for a underbody coating and insisted that its the same as sound deadening. When I referred to the TATA motors website regarding sound deadening, he didnt seem to notice and continued to insist both are the same.

BTW, got a taste of the legendary Concorde TASC

Apparently they 'forgot' my reservation on that day even though I had called and reserved earlier over phone. I had to call them again (used some of my fav lines from seinfeld about Holding
Reservations . At least am happy about that ) ), upon which a driver came promptly to pick up the car at 1230PM. This being first service, I was under the impression that the car wont take long. But the service manager calls me back to say that the car will be delivered in 2 days. The problem was I had planned for a small trip the very next day. So the service was done on that day (well, the SM said so) and waterwash wash was done after 2 weeks. However in my owners manual, the km has been entered as 1650+. Hopefully this wont affect my future warranty claims. Anyways, I have got the reciept to prove that Concorde Chennai had picked up my car on 13th June.

Anyways, the SM pleaded that I go easy on him and concorde when the Pune guys call up. He was almost fearful, but cant comprehend why this didnt translate into better service?

BTW, service/workshop bills so far - Rs. 0 after 3200km

Last edited by jpm : 16th July 2009 at 22:09.
jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 22:27   #62
jpm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chennai/Thanjavur
Posts: 107
Thanked: 105 Times
Exclamation Ambattur Concorde

indivic,
Quote:
The better guys from the erstwhile Guindy service centre are all in Ambattur and so if you can go to Ambattur for the servicing, I would recommend that you give it a try before you finally decide.
Definitely going to ambattur for the next service. Heard they were better than ECR, from several friends as well.

Concorde sales at Velacheri is not that great and I am disappointed slightly due to this incident with TATA *SS, though Rockcity Ford, Trichy dont fare that much better. So am hoping against hope that Ambattur concorde doesnt mess up during my second service. I seem to have a running bad luck with ASCs right from my Maruti days.

I live in Kotturpuram. Do PM me.

Last edited by jpm : 16th July 2009 at 22:35.
jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 23:31   #63
jpm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chennai/Thanjavur
Posts: 107
Thanked: 105 Times
Smile first highway trip after the running in period: Two Thumbs Up (well, almost!)

Finally got time for a 4 day break and decided to put it to best use with a small trip to yelagiri/tirupathi.

Total Distance covered: 765km

Much of it, on the fantastic Chennai-Bengaluru NH. The TDi as many had already described at lengths was a different animal on the NH. Initially, there were at least two or three instances when I tried to up-shift from overdrive, thinking that i was in third! Such was the torque that was on tap from 1800rpm or thereabouts once the turbo kicks in. And by God, what a kick that is!

Theres a steady rise, and pretty much fizzes out at 3200rpm+. In between that, my mom described it best, was like a jet taking off the runway. Its the same here. You are sitting peacefully by the window listening to generic sitar music pretty much until 1800 rpm, You hear the roar still you arent moving that fast. But once the turbo sets in, its take off time.

The Indicab/NA wallahs were left far behind and several supposedly sportier cars would have been frustrated in not being able to shake off and much worse, be overtaken by an indica!

However all this is fun, when you are in the right powerband. Else, waiting for the 1800rpm becomes painful, esp when you have slowed down to 40-50kmph in overdrive and dont want to downshift. It takes some considerable time to get that pull again. This took much longer owing to the fact I didnt floor the accelerator, but let it rise gradually.

Climbing up the hills required frequent downshifting, 2nd was the most preferred gear. This was a major downer. Though Yelagiri/Tirupathi are not that high, I was half afraid of having to wake up and pour hot water on the engine to start her up. Thankfully that never happened. Started on the first crank always.

There were no rattles/niggles on the superfluous NH and none were noted on the moderate state roads. However wind noise/tire noise? seems to be on the high side. Quite pleasant by 80kmph<2K rpm but starts to get mildly irritating by 130kmph at 3K+rpm. Above that, it becomes unpleasant. Had 34psi on fronts/32psi on rears as the car was fully loaded.

Tested brakes quite severely due to a silly woman running across the NH through the fences. Not very confidence inspiring stop from 120kmph in the sense I felt my ikon would have stopped earlier (and ikons supposedly had poor brakes). No swerving/disc locks or anything of that sort. stable, Plain stopping. This i liked. But more bite needed.

The sky was overcast for 50% of the trip and the a/c was chilling. During mid day suns, a/c seemed to have mood swings but the lows were still better than no a/c at all and these low spells lasted for 5-10 mins only.

Now the all important FE. My cruising speed was 110-120kmph in overdrive. Exceeded that and touched 140s a couple of times (the central console is a boon for BS drivers :(). Overall for the trip I got 14.35kmpl (regular diesel+iftex D 1ml per l of diesel) and this includes roughly 50% highway; 15 % hills; 35% city (mix of suburban/b2b). A/c was on 100% of the time.

The ride was very comfortable for 4 adults. This is a major major plus. No cramps/stiffness whatsoever. The boot wasnt half bad either. Fitted 2 moderate VIP suitcases, one rucksack and 2 smaller wheeled bags and a small coolkeg plus knickknacks.

Overall, a very pleasant and comfortable first outing. Hope it stays that way.

---------------------------------------------
1. Only 3 cars were stranded on the highway with their hoods open. 1 indicab, 1 fiesta and 1, gulp, turbo indica dlg!

2. saw almost 5 unregistered terra/aqua TDi s. Vista count is improving. Still nowhere close to, forget swift, even Getz at least in Chennai.

Last edited by jpm : 16th July 2009 at 23:35.
jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 17:18   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Else, waiting for the 1800rpm becomes painful, esp when you have slowed down to 40-50kmph in overdrive and dont want to downshift.
40 to 50 kph in overdrive is between 1000 and 1250 RPM. No car which develops its maximum torque around 2500 RPM and a turbo kick around 1800 RPM is going to be enthusiastic about picking up speed enthusiastically. Even a change to 4th will be in the 1200 to 1500 RPM, but it should be much better for your engine if you downshift at the speeds you mention.

All those RPMS as per my Marina's RPM meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Had 34psi on fronts/32psi on rears as the car was fully loaded.
What is it according to the manual / door sticker? The door sticker in my Marina says 27psi for both front and rear tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
The sky was overcast for 50% of the trip and the a/c was chilling.
Do you control the temperature using the temperature control knob or use lower blower speeds for comfort?

Since yours is a TDi, I want you to try something out. Morning (cold ) starts - see if there is any difference in cranking the engine immediately after the glow plug light goes off and waiting another 10 seconds after the glow plug light goes off.
trrk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 21:01   #65
jpm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chennai/Thanjavur
Posts: 107
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,



40 to 50 kph in overdrive is between 1000 and 1250 RPM. No car which develops its maximum torque around 2500 RPM and a turbo kick around 1800 RPM is going to be enthusiastic about picking up speed enthusiastically. Even a change to 4th will be in the 1200 to 1500 RPM, but it should be much better for your engine if you downshift at the speeds you mention.
hmm... come to think of it, yeah. but its not lugging exactly at this speed, at least I cant make out. But as you say, till the turbo rpm, its slow...

Nowadays i am shifting and trying to keep rpm between 1400-2000. The manual says, maximum torque is produced at 2500rpm. My qn is which will be the most fuel efficient ahem... economical? Keeping under 2K or trying to keep at max torque range?

The car has settled for 12-12.2 kmpl in 100%city driving with 100% AC.

In the 1st gear and less so in 2nd gear, revving beyond 1500rpm makes the engine almost cry out for gear change.

Quote:
What is it according to the manual / door sticker? The door sticker in my Marina says 27psi for both front and rear tyres.
32-35psi for Front & 28-32psi for Rear, says the sticker.

Quote:
Do you control the temperature using the temperature control knob or use lower blower speeds for comfort?
I keep the control knob just under max. Blower speed in II or III. This is in 8AM morning sun/most of the times after getting out of CC parking or sedate 4th/5th gear driving. A Sun bath for the car, however warrants the max blower speed. Theres a dip if sudden acceleration in 2nd/3rd gears corresponding to the gas pedal, restored only by up shifting. The air is always in recirculation mode.

Quote:
Since yours is a TDi, I want you to try something out. Morning (cold ) starts - see if there is any difference in cranking the engine immediately after the glow plug light goes off and waiting another 10 seconds after the glow plug light goes off.
Cant really make out any significant difference between the two in these 10 days. Is there something in particular i should be looking for?
jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 22:36   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Anyways, the SM pleaded that I go easy on him and concorde when the Pune guys call up. He was almost fearful, but cant comprehend why this didnt translate into better service?
I've wondered the same thing, If they are so afraid of it, why dont they do something about it, rather than plead and whine to us?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 14:53   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
aks_karthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Some pics of my ICE.

The speakers fit inside the default pods. (more on that later)

some more pics

gorgeous as always.

Dont know why the sides have metallic effect. The sun film is regular dark brown shade Solar Gard HP Quantum 38. The front is Solar Gard Sterling 70.
Hi Congrats,

I also used SolarGard(Xenos) HP Charcoal 38 sunfilms in my linea.
How is the Front SunFilms?Whether it's really worth?
How much did you spend for HP Quantum 38 and Sterling 70 and where from you installed?
Happy Driving
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 17:38   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
My qn is which will be the most fuel efficient ahem... economical? Keeping under 2K or trying to keep at max torque range?
Theoretically, in any gear, maintaining the RPM where maximum torque is developed gives the best mileage. In overdrive, the speed would be around 100kph. Above around 80kph, the aerodynamics comes into play and so speeds above that may or may not give you better mileage.

So shifting at around 2000RPM is a good compromise. Be smooth, give gentle acceleration (when possible), drive at a steady pace - all these should contribute to better mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
The car has settled for 12-12.2 kmpl in 100%city driving with 100% AC.
That I would say is adecent mileage. Since the efficiency depends on a lot of parameters, the experience would be different for different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
In the 1st gear and less so in 2nd gear, revving beyond 1500rpm makes the engine almost cry out for gear change.
The first is more or less for moving off and you are better off changing to 2nd as soon as possible. Second in fact is better than the 1st, but it is the third which gives you most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
I keep the control knob just under max. Blower speed in II or III. This is in 8AM morning sun/most of the times after getting out of CC parking or sedate 4th/5th gear driving. A Sun bath for the car, however warrants the max blower speed. The air is always in recirculation mode.
Here in the evenings and nights, the temperature knob can go all the way near to the red and still could be cold for pfront passengers with blower at 2nd position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Cant really make out any significant difference between the two in these 10 days. Is there something in particular i should be looking for?
For some of us, the crank after the extra 10 seconds definitely halves the crank time (it is already short enough).
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 13:40   #69
jpm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chennai/Thanjavur
Posts: 107
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've wondered the same thing, If they are so afraid of it, why dont they do something about it, rather than plead and whine to us?
yes. mysterious ways, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi Congrats,

I also used SolarGard(Xenos) HP Charcoal 38 sunfilms in my linea.
How is the Front SunFilms?Whether it's really worth?
How much did you spend for HP Quantum 38 and Sterling 70 and where from you installed?
Happy Driving
hi karthik,
the front film has been a boon so far. Sometimes, my workplace car park gets filled up and I have to leave the car on the road in direct sun. After 5 hours of Chennai sun, the car gets pleasantly cool (as opposed to icy cool) in 5 - 10 mins of A/C. The plastics are mild to moderately warm to touch in spite of direct sun. Of course, it cant completely eliminate heat, but am sure it reduces at least 30-40%.

My other car without the front film is definitely much more unpleasant after such a stint. It dashboard almost radiates heat. In vista its significantly lesser.

Night driving hasnt been a problem with the front film. Of course, Sterling 70 is still very much transparent unlike several cars I have seen in Chennai using metallic reflective film for windscreens!

The front+sides+rear cost me 7,500INR (from quoted 8000INR). IIRC, it was 4000INR for front film and 3500 for the rest. Vista has a deep/big windshield, but if am not wrong, Linea has more glass area. So cost maybe slightly more.

Got it done at Xenos Galleria at the HP bunk in Anna Salai near the Usman Road Signal.
jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 16:34   #70
jpm
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chennai/Thanjavur
Posts: 107
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

trrk,
Quote:
For some of us, the crank after the extra 10 seconds definitely halves the crank time (it is already short enough).
is this noticeable in new cars like mine? or only in cars that have some mileage under them.


-------------------------------------------------------
Did a bit of DIY and it has been working well for the past few days. Wasnt too keen on the grayish plastics used in the exterior ORVMs, Rub Rails, door handles. Were too, well, gray for my taste.

I came across a thread in tbhp about getting these things to black again. Amongst many suggestions, one particularly caught my mind. The results have been impressive, and now ORVMs are proper black with a sheen!

Of course, the miracle solution was Cherry Black Shoe Polish Liquid with applicator. These pics are immediate pre and post application. A couple of days gone by, with two long stints in sun, one heavy shower and everyday cleaning, they seem to hold up well. I was worried about uniformity or appearance of patches where polish washes off/fades. That hasnt happened and the applicator seems to have done its job well.

Total cost was 45INR for the bottle; but it took me about a 1/4 bottle for both sides.

Next project is to change the instrument cluster backlight color.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Diesel. My First TATA. The Vista Aqua TDi - The Journey Starts Now-pre.jpg  

My First Diesel. My First TATA. The Vista Aqua TDi - The Journey Starts Now-post.jpg  

jpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 16:45   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,838
Thanked: 1,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
trrk,
is this noticeable in new cars like mine? or only in cars that have some mileage under them.
All TDI's - even mine. from day one, until today


Quote:
Did a bit of DIY and it has been working well for the past few days. Wasnt too keen on the grayish plastics used in the exterior ORVMs, Rub Rails, door handles. Were too, well, gray for my taste.

I came across a thread in tbhp about getting these things to black again. Amongst many suggestions, one particularly caught my mind. The results have been impressive, and now ORVMs are proper black with a sheen!

Of course, the miracle solution was Cherry Black Shoe Polish Liquid with applicator. These pics are immediate pre and post application. A couple of days gone by, with two long stints in sun, one heavy shower and everyday cleaning, they seem to hold up well. I was worried about uniformity or appearance of patches where polish washes off/fades. That hasnt happened and the applicator seems to have done its job well.

Total cost was 45INR for the bottle; but it took me about a 1/4 bottle for both sides.
was it my recent post ? it cost me even less - 15 rupees worth of solid polish !
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indica Vista Aqua TDi Artic Silver. 7 Months and 10,000 KMs Bouncer Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 96 8th June 2011 00:07
Ritz Vxi or Vista Aqua QDJ? EDIT : Vista QDJ Aqua booked !! Sam.k Hatchbacks 59 2nd March 2011 17:03
indica vista quadrajet or Tdi / aqua or aura? muni Hatchbacks 50 3rd September 2009 00:04
Delivery Nonsense - TATA Indica Vista Aqua 1.4 TDI Akki_5 Indian Car Dealerships 13 15th August 2009 15:19
My first car - Indica Vista aqua TDi Infinity black nukeblitz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 13th July 2009 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks