Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd September 2009, 16:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Guys, do you think we should request the Moderators to move this thread to the Motorsports section?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:05   #197
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Moralfibre.. Thanks.. However have removed the video from YOU-TUBE itself.

Hope the title gets changed soon!

Regards,
Sathya
Hi Sathya_sc, Just now I saw the video in You Tube. I firmly believe that rash-driving is completely different from speed-driving. As long as the driver and the co-passengers feel safe and secure and the vehicle is in excellent condition, the driver can indulge in speed-driving.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:16   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Guys, do you think we should request the Moderators to move this thread to the Motorsports section?
Rather move the Linea to the tracks. 180 droooool.
Disclaimer: I promise to drive safe and not be inspired by whatever is going on here.
@ Satya_sc attaboy
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:29   #199
BHPian

Boy Oh Boy! Poor Satya wouldn't have imagined that this would've ever happened to his trip report!

First it was the poor Fuel Efficiency and the even poorer A.S.S that used to be the primary contention. Since the resurgence of the Tata - Fiat alliance, the focus has now shifted to the heart of the car - the engine.

I don't think this amount of debate was required just because somebody thought his car was adequately powerful.

I think the argument over the top speed achieved is purely cynical. There have been regular posts of drives where the members reach very high speeds (in excess of 200kmph). Nobody makes this kind of noise and deviate from the primary topic of the thread.

It is stupid to think that a person who has bought his car from "his" hard earned money, who also happens to have a family with kid(s) doesn't know the risk of over-speeding.

Invitation to settle all disputes on track is amusing. What good can a large family sedan like Linea with its Indian spec gear ratios / engine do on any track? Fiats in India are not tuned or setup for track events. One edition of ACI had Naren Kartikeyan driving both the 1.6 Palio and the 1.3 Swift P around a track. The Palio only barely managed to beat the Swift by a fraction of a second.

All Fiats in India are very good at one thing and that is highway cruising. They are exceptionally comfortable, have great highway manners, extremely fuel efficient (diesels) and relatively safe. I think we should appreciate this fact and give due credit.

Fiat in India is only but playing safe by providing cars tuned for better fuel efficiency than raw power. European cars are relatively more heavier than similar category Jap / Korean cars. It is not that the Europeans don't know to build cars but its just the way they like their cars.
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:16   #200
BANNED

Its a pity that those who do not own BOTH cars - Linea AND the other car are vehementaly defying the ownership experience of people like JRD & others who owns Linea AND that other car.

Wanna see another example?

Here it is from someone who owns Maruti 800, Santro, Fiat Adventure, Honda City (2009) and now Linea --->> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iat-linea.html

Here are his comparative statements for his 2 cars. The stability part relates to Sathya's experience.
Quote:
I have a Honda city which produces 118BHP @ 6600 RPM. But the car feels very shaky beyond 100kmph and also the engine becomes noisy once you cross 100kmph. It has got very poor back seat ride and the overall ride is very bumpy in the Honda City. (Those who prefer their driver's to drive, please think twice before going in for the new Honda City). What's point of you feel so in such a powerful car? On the contrary, Linea @ 160kmph makes you feel rock solid. I have been driving a Fiat Adventure which had 100BHP @ 5500 rpm, I found the Linea's petrol engine slightly underpowered than that one, and not to a great extent. The torque in the diesel is excellent which will give the initial pick up which you will miss in the petrol, if you enjoying frequent knee-jerk pick ups.

Last edited by VahanPujari : 3rd September 2009 at 22:21.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:28   #201
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Mr.VP, FYI I have lived with more than the number of cars you can imagine upto 20L range over the years (should call myself lucky). Of which the Accent was my daily drive for 2 months. Also, is there a rule that one must OWN a car to be able to review it? If so, I wonder why every guy who has a 1.1 Palio keeps advising on every which car thread to buy a 1.6 GTX, S10. Go figure.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:31   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Its a pity that those who do not own BOTH cars - Linea AND the other car are vehementaly defying the ownership experience of people like JRD & others who owns Linea AND that other car.

Wanna see another example?

Here it is from someone who owns Maruti 800, Santro, Fiat Adventure, Honda City (2009) and now Linea --->> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iat-linea.html

Here are his comparative statements for his 2 cars. The stability part relates to Sathya's experience.

I have a Honda city which produces 118BHP @ 6600 RPM. But the car feels very shaky beyond 100kmph and also the engine becomes noisy once you cross 100kmph. It has got very poor back seat ride and the overall ride is very bumpy in the Honda City. (Those who prefer their driver's to drive, please think twice before going in for the new Honda City). What's point of you feel so in such a powerful car? On the contrary, I found the Linea's petrol engine slightly underpowered than that one, and not to a great extent. The torque in the diesel is excellent which will give the initial pick up which you will miss in the petrol, if you enjoying frequent knee-jerk pick ups.
You have finally hit the nail Amit by putting this.. This is what I wanted to convey..but alas, went into 3-4 pages of utter useless discussions..

Regards,
Sathya

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited to remove high speed figures. Please refrain from posting pics or text on speeds which are over the legal limit on our highways and roads.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:23.
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 00:39   #203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
You have finally hit the nail Amit by putting this.. This is what I wanted to convey..but alas, went into 3-4 pages of utter useless discussions..

Regards,
Sathya
I wanted to tell you this but could not due to last 3-4 pages - Title & Video was alright, your statement that you squeezed thro' few trucks at those speeds scared me & hence the earlier request not to do it again. Sorry, if that offended you.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited to remove high speed figures. Please refrain from posting pics or text on speeds which are over the legal limit on our highways and roads.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st January 2011 at 18:23.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 02:22   #204
BHPian

Hello Sathya,

I know i'm very late. But congratulations for your beautiful Linea. The discussions going on here is way off the topic. Some one should let it go so that the other stops reacting. Im sure that the thread originator after a couple of years will revisit this thread to recall buying and initial driving experience. He does not want to see and read anything unpleasant. Sathya, I request you to post fresh pics to rejenuvate the atmosphere here.
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 02:23   #205
Senior - BHPian

So many pages on whether the Linea is underpowered or not. I have briefly driven one in the city so that does not count. I have followed or raced them on the highway and that was rather telling. I drive a Palio GTX and a Peted Laura neither of which is slow.

I have not found the Lineas to be slow. Initial pick-up might be low thanks to the gearing but once past the first few kmph they really move well. I often pick off other cars on corners when they have to slow down, but that is just not possible when pitted against a Linea as the Linea takes corners well and does not lose speed on a curve. Everytime I follow a Linea on the highway I am impressed with its stability, handling, poise and ability to take bad patches.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:13   #206
BHPian

Isn't it logical to you that Linea with better-build, better suspension, better stock tyres will be more stable than City?

Myself, coolboy and Omar (who owns both City and Linea) have told this. Still you find it skeptical? I wonder why?
Well, find out for yourself then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I have safely driven the City (old & new) with confidence way above X speed you have indicated. So I am bit skeptic when you say you lack confidence. And that lack of confidence after driving Linea. So I thought let me give it a try - why somebody lacks confidence to take City over X, after driving Linea.

PS: Let me try this experiment & I will post the results.
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:25   #207
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car man.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 16:08   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

Pranav, its not about how quick your car is or not that decides if its worth it to visit the tracks. What you learn at the track is the "correct way" to handle a car into corners, you learn the absolute limits of your cars and that of your own on track in a safe, controlled environment. So do feel free to drop by. Its a learning experience you will cherish for the rest of your life and you can rest assured you will be a better driver by the end of it all. Ask all those guys who have been to track days and they will vouch for the same. We have guys with M800's coming to track days and these are the guys who have the most fun. We have had plenty of instances where many guys came in thinking they are amazing drivers, only to find out they had a long long way to go before they could drive well.
Hey buddy completely agree with all that you have to say! My post should have been split into 2 points. One stating that the Linea aint no dragster. Two that it would be fun to visit the track Linea or not.

It's one of those boyhood dreams to take your car to the track and then experience getting in and out of those corners finding the fastest line. Please do keep me posted and time and work permitting I shall definitely make it.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 21:26   #209
BHPian

Lot of water has flowed down the river since I last visited this thread. One thing that amuses me is almost fanatical liking/dsliking for a car/manufacturer. With all due respect to all you experienced guys, please do keep posts objective so that something can be learned. Seriously, in last three four pages, I as a novice have learned nothing of value regarding positive/negative things about the car.

OT. Sathya, your saying SPEED so many times in your post reminded me of Lightening McQueen in the movie Cars, where that "car" keeps chanting "speed, speed, speed" before going in for a race.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 22:12   #210
BHPian

Smile

Hi Satya ! How ya doin ? This is what we call perfect Thread Hijacking.

Now let me do some Hijacking too.. Please . The points below are already mentioned in my thread but let me post it again to get back on track.

Is it for us?
FIAT buyers are sensible people who rate value for money highly. They're also, increasingly, often professionals who like the brand's 'underground' image and lack of pretension. The previous FIAT was hugely respected and often brought by people also considering other brands as well. There's a certain 'cool' to be seen in a FIAT, particularly as the only people who'll sneer and laugh at you will be nincompoops.

What does it do well?
It's a base incorporating plenty of technology, but key is the independent wheel,helical spring and torsion beam rear suspension. This allows far finer tuning, and also secures the wheels more accurately under all conditions - both aiding handling, which is safe, secure and vice less. It feels more stable, like a much bigger car, and ride quality is superb, seeming to become more impressive as road conditions worsen. Steering is lighter when parking and more accurate at speed, while the MJD is punchy and less intrusive than before. It's torquey too, making for relaxing 'go' at most revs. Drivers of the old car will be pleased by the better gear change, lower-set seats which are firmer and more supportive.

What doesn't it do well?
The MJD engine also sounds familiar, for while it's significantly quieter than the old Diesel engines, some rivals are more refined still. It's a rather clattery noise(Well i like the noise), lacking the silkiness of the best. Headroom is fine but not the best. Driver seat going down on its own but can compromise. After Sales service is much hyped problem but cant give a positive either.

What's it like to live with?
The interior of the new Linea is a real class act, probably better-built than competitors. Coupled with a pleasing, grown-up and elegant design, it's a big step forward which is extremely pleasing. What's more, it's usable too; all the (many) cubby holes are useful, the stubby gear lever and thick steering wheel feel good, the climate control systems are intuitive. This car's MJD engine is extremely efficient (around 18Kms/l),Naturally, it's on the ball for safety, with ABS and Airbag on the top model. And service intervals are amazing, judged by the car's computer and likely to mean stretched services for gentle drivers. More savings, on top of those residuals which is healthy.

Would We buy it?
The Linea is a very sensible car which should sell as well as FIAT predicts. It takes all the best of chassis, engines, general refinement - and adds lots of features, even better quality and ride comfort. For less money.As a rational purchase it makes so much sense,I am sure some would choose it over other C and C+ Segments as well. The gripes we have, which include too-familiar After sales service which is negatively hyped are not that worrisome given the above bonuses. Go buy it, bank the cash, save and be very happy.
ManMachine is offline   Reply With Quote