Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2009, 21:24   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Yes, this happens in all cars becasue there will be 7-8 liters of petrol in the reserve. If I rush to the petrol bunk soon after I see the low fuel indicator, my ANHC takes about 32-33 ltrs.
I am not referring to the fuel in reserve, let me clarify

today morning, the fuel indicator showed just above reserve. the indicator had not lit up. The range indicator showed the car can go up to 110KM with the remaining fuel. My office is approx 24 KM one way plus i drove with my team for lunch some 6 KMs extra (= total of 54KM i drove today). when i returned to fuel station the range indicator was showing just 9 KMs. which means less than a ltr fuel is remaining in the tank.

i asked the fuel attendent to fill the tank. The Auto release of the nozzel got released at 34.5Ltr. he topped up till 35.87 ltr. which means the total tank of only 36 ltrs (instead of 42)

did anyone observed such thing in your ANHC ?

Last edited by StarVegabond : 28th August 2009 at 21:25.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I am not referring to the fuel in reserve, let me clarify

today morning, the fuel indicator showed just above reserve. the indicator had not lit up. The range indicator showed the car can go up to 110KM with the remaining fuel. My office is approx 24 KM one way plus i drove with my team for lunch some 6 KMs extra (= total of 54KM i drove today). when i returned to fuel station the range indicator was showing just 9 KMs. which means less than a ltr fuel is remaining in the tank.

i asked the fuel attendent to fill the tank. The Auto release of the nozzel got released at 34.5Ltr. he topped up till 35.87 ltr. which means the total tank of only 36 ltrs (instead of 42)

did anyone observed such thing in your ANHC ?
On some occasions, I had to drive few kilometers well after the meter showed Range=0 km. This has happened few times. Initially I used to be nervous thinking that my car would be stranded on the way but now I am confident that there will be at least 5 ltrs of petrol left even after it shows the available range as zero kms.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

The fuel indicators in cars these days are a bit wonky once you hit the lower 25% of the range. It will be stated in the manual how many liters there will be in the tank when the indicator hits reserve and when it hits empty.

Your tank will have at least 5 liters of fuel remaining when you hit reserve. It is not advisable to run like that constantly though. The fuel pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel and when it gets too low, the pump has to work harder and is under more wear and tear. They are rather expensive to replace if they conk out.

The quantity of fuel that goes in when the first cut off hits is less than the capacity of the tank because there is a relief valve in most fuel systems that releases pressure in the tank. The second cutoff occurs mostly when fuel starts coming up the filler pipe. It is inadvisable to fill to the brim though. Volume of fuel changes with temperature and it needs room to do so.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 10:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guna, Immo for your answers, it gives me more confidence that when the indicator hits E, i can still go few more miles during emergency, even though it is not my habit to geting to an emergency situation often.

I have also observed that once the range (what the car can travel with remaining fuel) indication hits below 100, then the range rapidly reduces. in the last case, i observed that even though i traveled some 54KMs only the range indicator reduced from 110 to 9 (= by 101KM = twice the actual)

Last edited by StarVegabond : 30th August 2009 at 10:38.
Old 30th August 2009, 11:29   #140
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi

I agree with you. The first change to should the tires which should have been a 185 size at least if not a 195 size. secondly the headlights are very poor. in fact initially after a I purchased the anhc even after switching on the lights , i sometimes felt that the headlight were not on at all. once the first service was over the first things i upgraded was to put 195 tires with alloys and xenon lights.
amidoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 12:17   #141
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks Guna, Immo for your answers, it gives me more confidence that when the indicator hits E, i can still go few more miles during emergency, even though it is not my habit to geting to an emergency situation often.

I have also observed that once the range (what the car can travel with remaining fuel) indication hits below 100, then the range rapidly reduces. in the last case, i observed that even though i traveled some 54KMs only the range indicator reduced from 110 to 9 (= by 101KM = twice the actual)
hi I agree with your observations on the dte indicator. It goes a bit awry after the range is less than 100 km. My car has run about 2700 km and am getting a avg of about 11.5 to 12 in the city with about 60 k running everyday to jogeshwari(mumbai) and back. My run is against the traffic and i use the sea link every day so its a breeze to get to work in the morning times. Generally i fill up once my running reaches about 350 km on an average and top up the car. In fact going forward once the first top up is reached will fill only one liter more so that the petrol has the capacity to expand.

I am using IOC premium fuel because the rate is 91 oct. I am not sure if the octane rating on other fuels is 91 or 87.

Secondly a piece of advise to anyone who has changed the tires to 195 Michelin primacy l/c. I am using nitrogen to fill the tires and have reduced the tire pressure to 30 front and 28 rear. Am getting a much smoother ride. The slightly lower tire pressure compensates for the lower profile of the tires and the stiff suspension at lower speeds.
amidoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 13:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi

I agree with you. The first change to should the tires which should have been a 185 size at least if not a 195 size. secondly the headlights are very poor. in fact initially after a I purchased the anhc even after switching on the lights , i sometimes felt that the headlight were not on at all. once the first service was over the first things i upgraded was to put 195 tires with alloys and xenon lights.
I feel that the head lights of ANHC are adequate for City driving. My observation was the headlights are inadequate for Dark + Rainy night drives.

Regarding the tyres, my dealer provided me option of MRF and Michelin, i chose Michelin, i have not gone for alloys/tyre upgrade, might go for it along with upgradign the seats/interiors after 2-3 years, once the car is bit old and novelty factor has diminished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi I agree with your observations on the dte indicator. It goes a bit awry after the range is less than 100 km. My car has run about 2700 km and am getting a avg of about 11.5 to 12 in the city with about 60 k running everyday to jogeshwari(mumbai) and back. My run is against the traffic and i use the sea link every day so its a breeze to get to work in the morning times. Generally i fill up once my running reaches about 350 km on an average and top up the car. In fact going forward once the first top up is reached will fill only one liter more so that the petrol has the capacity to expand.

I am using IOC premium fuel because the rate is 91 oct. I am not sure if the octane rating on other fuels is 91 or 87.

Secondly a piece of advise to anyone who has changed the tires to 195 Michelin primacy l/c. I am using nitrogen to fill the tires and have reduced the tire pressure to 30 front and 28 rear. Am getting a much smoother ride. The slightly lower tire pressure compensates for the lower profile of the tires and the stiff suspension at lower speeds.
Congratulations on your new ANHC, when did you buy your new car ?
i suggest you post your ownership experience which will help other potential buyers.

I generally fill at IOCL station close to my home. I also go for Xtra premium only. I have never filled in any other station within Bangalore, when I was on long drive have always filled at IOCL fuel stations only. I prefer IOCL as i can find them all across India.

More over i always try to minimize the trips to fuel stations. i visit only when the indicator is closer to E so that i can fill up the entire tank.

I have never tried Nitogen till now, I would like to know the benefits in objective (= factual) manner before i try it. till then stick with Honda recommendation.
Old 30th August 2009, 19:05   #143
Senior - BHPian

Default Parking Tips : i was not aware of these

Was reading the ANHC user manual today.
found some parking guidelines. I was not aware of these three tips. i found them interesting, so thought of sharing. in case you are are aware, please excuse me.

1. Never park over dry leaves. tall grass or other flammable materials. The Hot three way catalytic converter could cause these materials to catch on fire.

2. If the vehicle is facing uphill, turn the front wheels away from the curb. If you have a manual transmission, put it in first gear

3. If the vehicle is facing downhill, turn the front wheels toward the curb. if you have manual transmission, put it in reverse gear.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:20   #144
BHPian

star,

You can checkout Auto-Gordian Knot for video conversion.
I believe this is the best.
AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion

For first backing up the files from DVD to PC , you can use
DVD-Decrypter
Fastest DVD Copy Software | Best DVD Decrypter from DVDFab

Quote:
Friends,

Does anyone know how to convert *.VOB files into *.rmvb or *.avi file
is there any converter available ?

i need to convert several DVD's into these formats so that i can load them into the player in the car.

thanks for your suggetions in advance.

Last edited by neotraveller : 31st August 2009 at 12:23.
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:52   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Friends,

Does anyone know how to convert *.VOB files into *.rmvb or *.avi file
is there any converter available ?

i need to convert several DVD's into these formats so that i can load them into the player in the car.

thanks for your suggetions in advance.
Thats a very good Multimedia set up you have there, StarVB.

I guess you already got a video converter now to convert DVD format to .avi or .mpeg. ImToo is a good Video converter & so as Super convertor, there is 1 more Allok. In fact, there are thousands available on googling.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 19:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
star,

You can checkout Auto-Gordian Knot for video conversion.
I believe this is the best.
AutoGK Homepage - THE tool for XviD / DivX conversion

For first backing up the files from DVD to PC , you can use
DVD-Decrypter
Fastest DVD Copy Software | Best DVD Decrypter from DVDFab
Thanks Neo, i will try to download and try

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Thats a very good Multimedia set up you have there, StarVB.

I guess you already got a video converter now to convert DVD format to .avi or .mpeg. ImToo is a good Video converter & so as Super convertor, there is 1 more Allok. In fact, there are thousands available on googling.
Thanks Amit, i got couple of converters from the internet, also i got one from fellow BHPian, i tried couple of them, they give different outputs some deliver size of 1.5 GB (for a complete DVD movie), some deliver 4.5GB for same movie. I am currently learning to get the most optimized size/video quality. I tried the files in the player, it gives good performance.

This would tested when we go for long drive on sept 18th-27th. i need to ensure that all 16 GB of storage space is full of cartoons, else you can imagine who will take me to task
Old 1st September 2009, 11:38   #147
BANNED

Quote:
they give different outputs some deliver size of 1.5 GB (for a complete DVD movie), some deliver 4.5GB for same movie. I am currently learning to get the most optimized size/video quality.
Yes. Because the output size depends on the CODEC used in the converter to COde/ DECode the video stream.

I use converters just to convert .3gp or .3g2 formats (clips in my mobile) to .mpeg format & I liked the output format of ImTOO & Allok converters
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 11:59   #148
BHPian

Actually output size depends on the bitrates that you encode at. (both for audio and video). So you should find out the good-enough bitrate for your 7" screen.

IMO H.264 codec (MPEG10) offers the best quality/MB these days (better than xvid/divx).

Also try to encode audio as MP3@128kbps. That should be sufficient.

You can research this stuff at popular forums like:
Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource
AfterDawn.com
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Default Video distracts the driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Actually output size depends on the bitrates that you encode at. (both for audio and video). So you should find out the good-enough bitrate for your 7" screen.

IMO H.264 codec (MPEG10) offers the best quality/MB these days (better than xvid/divx).

Also try to encode audio as MP3@128kbps. That should be sufficient.

You can research this stuff at popular forums like:
Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource
AfterDawn.com

Thanks Neo, will try

Yesterday evening i was out with my family, My daughter insisted on playing a video on the player. It was installed on the dash board as shown int he pictures posted by me.

I almost met with accident twice in 15 minute duration as the video distracted me from keeping attention on the road.

After this incident, i have made decision that the player/screen would be moved to rear right window which is generally used. The attchment would be connected to the window glass and the player can be positioned in the required angle.
Old 7th September 2009, 16:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Default Today filled normal fuel for the first time

Today, I was forced to fill in the normal fuel at the HP fuel station
as i was running out of the fuel. I had a foreign visitor with me and my fuel gauge was showing E and range as 11KM. HP station near residency road was not having the premium fuel. I filled only RS 500 worth fuel.
i did not find any difference in the car performance till now, will check the FE by tomorrow.
Last tankful gave me approx 14.6 KM in City drive where as the the Avg indicator showed 15.5 KMPL.

i found at the car gives best FE when driven on 4th gear (55-70 KMPH) and 5th gear (80-90KMPH) and the accelerator pedal is not frequently pressed/pumped.