Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2009, 16:39   #151
BHPian

With sedate driving and light foot, my ANHC gives me around 17-18kmpl in Pune. But the MID shows me 20.8 which is a significant margin of error. Have any of you guys also noticed the same problem? Average speeds are between 40-60kmph and i have learnt that it is quite unnecessary to be 5th, while being in 4th is quite good enough.

The driving stretch is around 50% highways and 50% city...the FE is quite good for such a large engine.However i have noticed significant torque lag in 1st gear...and engine is more rpm oriented (typical of japanese cars)!!
bhaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 16:42   #152
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Today, I was forced to fill in the normal fuel at the HP fuel station
as i was running out of the fuel. I had a foreign visitor with me and my fuel gauge was showing E and range as 11KM. HP station near residency road was not having the premium fuel. I filled only RS 500 worth fuel.
i did not find any difference in the car performance till now, will check the FE by tomorrow.
Last tankful gave me approx 14.6 KM in City drive where as the the Avg indicator showed 15.5 KMPL.

i found at the car gives best FE when driven on 4th gear (55-70 KMPH) and 5th gear (80-90KMPH) and the accelerator pedal is not frequently pressed/pumped.
The average is really good. How much has your car run?? No other mid size sedan in India can give such a average in town and that is why Honda demands a premium and gets away with it.
amidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 20:38   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaani View Post
With sedate driving and light foot, my ANHC gives me around 17-18kmpl in Pune. But the MID shows me 20.8 which is a significant margin of error. Have any of you guys also noticed the same problem? Average speeds are between 40-60kmph and i have learnt that it is quite unnecessary to be 5th, while being in 4th is quite good enough.

The driving stretch is around 50% highways and 50% city...the FE is quite good for such a large engine.However i have noticed significant torque lag in 1st gear...and engine is more rpm oriented (typical of japanese cars)!!

Hi Bhaani,

Your ANHC's FE is really great. I suggest you publish details of your driving style, tactics so that everyone can get benefited.

I also noted that at 40-50KMPH speed, the FE bar on MID shows max indication. My calcluations show an error of 0.5 to 1.0 KM Error in the indication shown on MID vs Tankful method. The higher error in your measurement could be due to higher idling time (i am not sure, just a guess)

Today i had to drive bumper to bumper from diamond district (old airport road) till Ganganagar (New Airport road). i also noted that in first gear, i am required to keep the clutch pressed to keep the engine from switching off (@ speed of 10KMPL), where as on second gear at the same speed, no need to keep the clutch pressed, the RPM keeps the engine running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
The average is really good. How much has your car run?? No other mid size sedan in India can give such a average in town and that is why Honda demands a premium and gets away with it.
Thanks amidoc, My car as on day run about 47xx KMs in over 3Months+

I do not think, Honda gets away with whatever the price. in my opinion Honda delivers the promise it makes its customer viz.

1. Very refined car
2. True to Japanese Reliability
3. Good Fuel Economy
4. Very Good Safety (Airbags, ABS, GCON), Security (RKE+Immobilizer)
5. Well balanced city car (Power Vs FE Vs Comfort)
6. Good After Sales Service
7. All above resulting in Brand Value

In my three months of ownership, i am never required to complain about the car or the after sales service to any one (Dealer or Honda).

Personally I have always worked in a product company and believe that once the product is sold, it should stay sold. If the company keeps refining the products in the field, then it looses customer confidence, margins, revenues and market share in the long term.

In India tolerance levels are higher, Consumer portection laws/enforcemnt is not proper. hence sometimes customers tolerate / accomodate such in-field refinements, "thriving on chaos" tactics by dealers/OEM and end up with a feeling that the issues are resolved. Where as in real sence, when a product / service is sold, it should never be difficient in any way. This behaviour is not just seen in automotive world, but also in consumer durables, hospitality, travel etc, etc.

Ofocurse, i would love if Honda provides all sort of equipment in the car, in fact more tha better.

I know that ANHC in its current form does not have

1. Alloy wheels,
2. Stock CD player,
3. Leather interiors,
4. etc, etc

But i have bought the car knowing well what i am getting. so i do not keep cribbing about these things.

In my personal view Honda delivers on its promise to customers and ofcourse charges the customer for it. What matters to me is what i am buying, i am getting the same.

I am happy with my car, the dealer who sold it to me, and OEM who designed and manufactured the car.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th September 2009 at 20:50.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 21:23   #154
Shivashara

Sorry to intrude you happy people but here is another car which gives very good mileage at average speed of 40 kmph.
Your guess is every bodies guess.
By the way mine is petrol 1.4L
Attached Images

Old 7th September 2009, 21:28   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivashara View Post
Sorry to intrude you happy people but here is another car which gives very good mileage at average speed of 40 kmph.
Your guess is every bodies guess.
By the way mine is petrol 1.4L
Great Shivashara, Congrats on great FE for your Linea Petrol
enjoy your car
Old 7th September 2009, 21:34   #156
Shivashara

Well, thanks and I am realy enjoying every bit of it.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:43   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivashara View Post
Well, thanks and I am realy enjoying every bit of it.
FIAT Linea is a good car, in terms of features, a way ahead of rest of the C/C+ sedans. The reason i opted out of Linea was, i wanted a different experience than FIAT (after owning a Palio for 7 years) and was tired of after sales service experience.

I do not think the first reason is relevent to other potential car buyers.
and second aspect is getting improved as we see it.

Personally i think Linea is worth considering by every potential car buyers
i think, it is a personal choice based on what is important and what is perceived to be "value" and what is percieved to be an "issue"

hence i restrain from recommending any car or brand to anyone or push anyone to buy a particular car.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:58   #158
BHPian

yeah any car driven steadily at 40-50kmph gives great mileage.
But ANHC gives great mileage + great power at same time.
In this sense this engine is one of a kind.

And a premium of 50k is justified for this engine alone. But Honda seems to be getting away with a lot more than that!

Last edited by neotraveller : 7th September 2009 at 22:01.
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 21:58   #159
Shivashara

Starvegabond, Your right in every aspect of your assumption and you should be.
I myself grew with Fiat and owing Maruti Gypsy for long time and then again with Fiat had never ever issue of A.S.S. till date from 1998 and with Linea, I have even not visited Tass till date, they have taken care of my first service by sending their driver and also for droping. So I am after all very happy.

Last edited by Shivashara : 7th September 2009 at 22:00. Reason: Modes please delete this.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:59   #160
Shivashara

Starvegabond, Your right in every aspect of your assumption and you should be.
I myself grew with Fiat and owing Maruti Gypsy for long time and then again with Fiat had never ever issue of A.S.S. till date from 1998 and with Linea, I have even not visited Tass till date, they have taken care of my first service by sending their driver and also for dropping. So I am after all very happy.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:22   #161
Senior - BHPian

Default ABS and Brakes saved my car today

Today, i was returning home in the evening from Diamond District (old airport road). It started raining once i reached Domlur and the bumper to bumper traffic started from the airforce office.

the bumper to bumpet traffic continued till trinity circle, Ulsoor road, Residency Road, Cubbon road, Rajbhavan road, Golf course, Windsor Manor, Kaveri Junction, Mekhri circle till ganganagar.

After hebbal, the traffic eased, and the Kodigehalli signal was still green, i was one of the last cars to to cross the signal.

just after some 200 mts from the signal, there was a collision of 4 cars each one hitting the rear of the other. This happened in the right most and the middle lane. i was just racing up in the middle lane, when i saw the car in front of me hitting the car in it's front.

I was at 60KMPH+, i suddenly pressed my brakes, it was still raining, the car did not skid on the slope, in the last second i could turn my steering to miss the bumper of the last car (SUV, i think).

I think, this saved me few thousands plus few hours and few fights.

i experienced ABS at work today. I thank my gods (+ ABS) for this narrow escape.

When i last saw there was already a fight starting on the road behind, while i drove on.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th September 2009 at 22:25.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:20   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Today, i was returning home in the evening from Diamond District (old airport road). It started raining once i reached Domlur and the bumper to bumper traffic started from the airforce office.

the bumper to bumpet traffic continued till trinity circle, Ulsoor road, Residency Road, Cubbon road, Rajbhavan road, Golf course, Windsor Manor, Kaveri Junction, Mekhri circle till ganganagar.

After hebbal, the traffic eased, and the Kodigehalli signal was still green, i was one of the last cars to to cross the signal.

just after some 200 mts from the signal, there was a collision of 4 cars each one hitting the rear of the other. This happened in the right most and the middle lane. i was just racing up in the middle lane, when i saw the car in front of me hitting the car in it's front.

I was at 60KMPH+, i suddenly pressed my brakes, it was still raining, the car did not skid on the slope, in the last second i could turn my steering to miss the bumper of the last car (SUV, i think).

I think, this saved me few thousands plus few hours and few fights.

i experienced ABS at work today. I thank my gods (+ ABS) for this narrow escape.

When i last saw there was already a fight starting on the road behind, while i drove on.
StarVB,

Thank god. Sounds a close shave

I always am wary of speeding thro' signal lights while they are turning green or turning Yellow & then Red. I always assume that some idiod - either a laggard or an early bird will come in the middle of the cross road when I speed up seeing green turning in Red or vice versa.

But in your situation,it doesn't seem that you accelerated just to cross the signal before it turns red.

Take care & drive safe
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 10:06   #163
Senior - BHPian

God,Near miss StarVegaBond .
I too faced the same incident yesterday as i was back from office in chennai 100feet road.
A maniac TATA 407 was driving recklessly in middle lane.
I was in the right lane and some 2 wheelers in left lane.
Sudddenly 407 cut the lane and came to right lane where i was driving.
I put the brake Due to ABS ,no sliding & skidding and i was stand still from say 50 kmph within 5 secs time.
But 407 driver realised and steered towards left and banged 2 or 3 wheelers.
If i neglected him and got hit.
It would be very severe as i struck between 407 and the stone barricade.
I thanked god and felt happy about my luck that day.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 10:24   #164
BHPian

so was the ABS indicator turned on? Sorry u couldn't have had a chance to look at that. But when i was driving a verna at 150kmph suddenly i saw a man coming in his bike to the main road from a side road on the right side. suddenly i applied the break and what happened was i wasn't able to steer the car for a while. The car went slightly to the left and came back to the middle of the road, only after which i could take a control of the steering. Thank god on seeing the car the man coming in bike stopped. If he had thought of crossing the road before i could cross him that would have the worst moment i had in my life. So the worth of ABS depends upon the situation. Coming to the mileage even ANHC can also give a good one if its driven at 60 to 70 kmph. This was with full AC in a stretch of 50:50 in highway and city. Just have a look
Attached Thumbnails
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City-mileage.jpg  

infinitewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:50   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
StarVB, Thank god. Sounds a close shave

I always am wary of speeding thro' signal lights while they are turning green or turning Yellow & then Red. I always assume that some idiod - either a laggard or an early bird will come in the middle of the cross road when I speed up seeing green turning in Red or vice versa.

But in your situation,it doesn't seem that you accelerated just to cross the signal before it turns red.

Take care & drive safe
Thanks for your wishes, Amit, In this case, it was not the case that i was trying to jump the signal, i was one of the last vehicle on the road, with no vehicles behind me. Signal was still green. I was approx at 30KMPL when i crossed the signal. Once i cross the signal, i accelerated, and suddenly i saw this collision in front of me. As there was no vehicle beind me and when i suddenly braked, no one came and hit my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
God,Near miss StarVegaBond .
I too faced the same incident yesterday as i was back from office in chennai 100feet road.
A maniac TATA 407 was driving recklessly in middle lane.
I was in the right lane and some 2 wheelers in left lane.
Sudddenly 407 cut the lane and came to right lane where i was driving.
I put the brake Due to ABS ,no sliding & skidding and i was stand still from say 50 kmph within 5 secs time.
But 407 driver realised and steered towards left and banged 2 or 3 wheelers.
If i neglected him and got hit.
It would be very severe as i struck between 407 and the stone barricade.
I thanked god and felt happy about my luck that day.
Hi Karthik, Good that you managed the situation and came out clean.
it is a pain once the (new) car is hit not just in terms of dent, but also a dent on our emotional connect with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitewheel View Post
so was the ABS indicator turned on? Sorry u couldn't have had a chance to look at that. But when i was driving a verna at 150kmph suddenly i saw a man coming in his bike to the main road from a side road on the right side. suddenly i applied the break and what happened was i wasn't able to steer the car for a while. The car went slightly to the left and came back to the middle of the road, only after which i could take a control of the steering. Thank god on seeing the car the man coming in bike stopped. If he had thought of crossing the road before i could cross him that would have the worst moment i had in my life. So the worth of ABS depends upon the situation. Coming to the mileage even ANHC can also give a good one if its driven at 60 to 70 kmph. This was with full AC in a stretch of 50:50 in highway and city. Just have a look
Sorry infinitewheel, i could not notice any ABS indicator getting lit up, because, my eyes were on the road and mind working how i can avoid getting into the collision. Car did move to the left side when i (hard) braked and that is how i avoided hitting the car which was on middle lane.

Yes, I have noticed that ANHC gives best milage when dirven at 60-70KMPH, i have already mentioned it earlier as well

Congratulations on your ANHC's great FE of 19.X+. Enjoy your car.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th September 2009 at 11:52.