Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th September 2009, 12:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

ABS is Anti lock Braking System. It prevents your wheels from locking and since your front wheels don't get locked, it retains grip and is steerable.

So while ABS is working, you can steer the car away from danger.

ABS is not for preventing skidding.

But I am sure you all know it already!

Good mileage there!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 12:54   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Folks,

ABS is Anti lock Braking System. It prevents your wheels from locking and since your front wheels don't get locked, it retains grip and is steerable.

But I am sure you all know it already!

Good mileage there!
Yes, i know, when car is moving on a slope and if suddenly braked, there are chances that the wheels get locked and due to wet surface and slope, the car skids. that is what happened to the two cars in front of me

where as when i pressed my brake, my wheels did nto get locked and i could steer the car such that i miss the collision.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 17:29   #168
Senior - BHPian

Default Talked Honda Dealer

Talked to Honda Dealer today over phone about the fuel type.

He clarified that, in metro + large cities (like banaglore),
the fuel available at major fuel stations is good quality i.e. 91 octane
but same is not true in rural area. hence he suggested to fill Xtra premium in rural area and normal fuel in Bangalore.

i think, this will save abour RS 2.X+ per liter to me

i also asked about the new city varient being talked about.
Dealer person confirmed that Honda is planning to introduce a "V" version differentiating the current "S" version.

the V version will have

1. Changed Interior fabric (Quality/Color)
2. Fog Lamps
3. Alloy wheels (no change in tyre size)
4. some chrome handles etc
5. some other small changes.

He has not received the pricing for this new version. He also told that this upgrade package would be available to the "S" owners as well, ofcourse at a price. He promised to send me the details once received from Honda.
Old 8th September 2009, 21:10   #169
BANNED

Quote:
the V version will have

1. Changed Interior fabric (Quality/Color)
2. Fog Lamps
3. Alloy wheels (no change in tyre size)
4. some chrome handles etc
5. some other small changes.
Good move & a much needed move by Honda.

Honda badly needed this. When Civic & Accord are losing their leadership position, it can not afford even a dent in ANHC position. Glad that this is happening.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 21:43   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Folks,

When the wheels get jammed and the vehicle still moves some distance becuase of the momentum, that is actually skidding. ABS does help preventing the skidding.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 12:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Default Found time to load more movies into the Video Player

After 2-3 weeks, today, i found time to convert several Tom & Jerry Cartoon movies and load them into the player. My daughter is very happy.

Actually she sat through last 2 hours with me while i was experimenting with different settings of the converter and managed to convert some DVDs in to MPEG4 AVI files.

Now the expectations have increased, she wants all her DVDs to be converted now, but it is a welcome challenge

My wife complained that i am pampering my daughter too much.
Old 12th September 2009, 23:16   #172
Senior - BHPian

Default Night Drive

The Car was singing,

"Hum tu mein chahatein hain aise
ke marne wala koi zindagi chahata ho jaise"

Translation: "I aspire you so much , so like a dying person aspires his life"

Mileage indicator was at 4994, we were on the new airport
road cruising at 70 KMPH on the left most lane.

Car switched the tune to,

"Kabhi, Kabhi mere dil mein kayal aata hai
ke tu mujhe chahe umra bhar yunheen "

Translation : Quite often, my heart wish that may your liking towards me continue the lifetime"

There were several vehicles who were ruching towards airport,
i was wondoring, why people are in such a hurry.

My daughter and wife were chatting some thing with each other.

i said, look it is 5000 KMs now,
my wife and daughter congratulated me. wife told me,

you remember, how much time it took you to reach 5000 KMs in Palio ?

i said : yeah, about 20 months, now it is taking me just 3.5 months.

Daughter said:, now having completed 5000 KM, can we go home ?

so the car took a U turn at the next intersection.

Car again changed the tune

"Tauba yeh matwali chal, zhuk jaye phoolonki dal"

Translation : "O god, what a smooth and styly walk, even a flower garland should bow it's head in shame"

i was wondering what happened ?,
A Silver colour Linea over took the car, I smiled
Linean seems to be in a hurry to reach home,

we were not in a hurry, we continued our cruise, MID was showing the FE figure of 15.9 (up from 14.8 when we started the journey). instantaneous consumption was moving between 22 KMPH to 38 KMPH.

Car once again changed the tune

"Tum ko dekha toh, yeh khayaal aaya, Zindagi dhoop, tum ghana chaya"

Translation: "When i saw you, i wondered, life is so tough, you are so cool"

i again thought, what is happening to this guy
just then i saw a Merc overtaking us on the right most lane.
the guy seems to be wanting to get home quickly,
just vanished in few seconds,

at last, we reached home, ODO showing 5013 KM.

this was the first night drive we had in Bangalore, am sure plenty to come.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 12th September 2009 at 23:19.
Old 13th September 2009, 00:27   #173
BANNED

Superb, Amazing writing style StarVB. All songs are so apt & extremely popular to hum.

it took 20 months for 5000 kms in Palio?
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 15:06   #174
Senior - BHPian

Default 5000 KM update and Comprehensive Ownership feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Superb, Amazing writing style StarVB. All songs are so apt & extremely popular to hum.

it took 20 months for 5000 kms in Palio?
Thanks, Amit, Yes, in fact for the first 500 KM itself took 6-7 months as i was not knowing how to drive , at that time, my wife was my driver.

I thought of taking this opportunity of reaching 5000 KMs to do a status check on whether i am happy or not happy with various features of the car, whether ANHC was a real upgrade in all respects or not, what are my further upgrades/additions etc.

i have summarized it here in three slides (converted to images) for easy reading
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 5K Report - I - Low RES.bmp (642.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: bmp 5K Report - II - Low RES.bmp (660.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: bmp 5K Report - III - Low RES.bmp (654.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th September 2009 at 15:20.
Old 13th September 2009, 19:43   #175
Senior - BHPian

Nice report.
I did not see the comparsion between the ride quality of ANHC and Palio. From my impression I have about Palio, I suspect it may be better then ANHC. What is your experience?
I am also one of those who did not like the Electronic Power Steering of the ANHC. Did you like it better then the Palio power steering?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 21:48   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Nice report.
I did not see the comparsion between the ride quality of ANHC and Palio. From my impression I have about Palio, I suspect it may be better then ANHC. What is your experience?
I am also one of those who did not like the Electronic Power Steering of the ANHC. Did you like it better then the Palio power steering?

Thanks Guna,

I would be biased with my opinion as i have driven palio over 7 years, 62000+ KMs. The car was as if an extension of myself, i knew it as if it is back of my palm. I have driven Palio in several different road conditions. ANHC is still 3.5 months and 5000 KM old.

I certainly feel that EPS of Palio is more responsive than ANHC, may be due to the fact that a hatch back is easier to navigate though traffic than a sedan. In my view if we have to really assess EPS, then we have to do it on a circular/zig-zag track. I found ANHC doing as fine as Palio on Agumbe Ghat with hairpin bends. but i also need to check it on higher speeds as well. Last trip to Udupi, i did not push the car to much as i was new to a sedan.

Regarding the ride (w.r.t suspension) quality, i would be able to comment once i return from my Shimoga-Jog-Udupi trip on 28th.

I would like to look at the overall score while comparing than just few brownie points.

I would try to keep updating / sharing this sheet over 10K/20K milestones as well.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th September 2009 at 21:51.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:22   #177
Senior - BHPian

BTW, Palio has HPS and not EPS. The steering is hydraulic and is very precise at any given speed. Though in parking speed it feels heavy because of HPS.
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:15   #178
BHPian

Hi StarVegabond,

How is your car doing? How many months and how many kms done ? I own Fiat Linea but i still love Honda City. The fun to drive factor is still there in the new honda city ??
ManMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 17:25   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
BTW, Palio has HPS and not EPS. The steering is hydraulic and is very precise at any given speed. Though in parking speed it feels heavy because of HPS.
Thanks neonwheels for correcting, what i was comparing was Power Steering (EPS or HPS it does not matter) in Palio Vs ANHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
Hi StarVegabond,

How is your car doing? How many months and how many kms done ? I own Fiat Linea but i still love Honda City. The fun to drive factor is still there in the new honda city ??
Hi ManMachine

Car is doing just fine, still feels , smells, shines like new
i have driven 5000 KMs in last about 3.5 months.

True to its name, it is a city car, fun to drive. great to own due to its fantastic FE in city driving conditions.

for details, you can read my comprehensive feedback in my yesterdays post.
Old 15th September 2009, 14:15   #180
Senior - BHPian

Default Biker in hurry, read ended the car

I thought, Today morning was great, but it was not

while coming to office today morning a biker in a hurry, rear ended my car at kammanhalli signal.

Due to traffic, most of the vehicles were at the speed of 10 KMPH and were in a bumper to bumper traffic. Immediatly after the signal a bus stops to pick up the passengers, the the two cars in front of me stop,
i also stop, suddenly, i heard someone crashing into the car on the rear side, Due to impact my car goes and bumps into the car in the front. I also see a helmet flying and falling on to font side of my car.

then hell break loose,

everybody get down from the car, the two cars in front of me, note that their car is not affected, so they drive away,

A crowd of 10-15 people gather to watch fun

A policeman came and started shouting at the biker for rash driving

i got down the car and inspected the damage

Rear left side bumper had huge dent, there were scratches on to the bumper, bumper had slipped from its original place,
The boot door had a bit bent

I called up the my sales contact in Honda, he told me that it could be somewhere 8-10K for the bumper repairs.

the Biker + pillon rider were arguing wiht the policeman
eventually the pillion rider went away leving the owner behind

the vehicle was a TN registerd bike. Policemna tool the keys and contact details of the driver. he told me that if an settlement is not reached between myself and the biker, he would process the FIR.

by this time, my Honda sales contact landed at the place. he was on his way to office. he copntacted the body shop of Honda and again checked for the estimate. he provided me with the names at body shop and asked me to take the person along with the car to the body shop.

accordingly, we went to body shop, two friends of the biker reached and tried to fight with me. Eventually i told them that it is better for them not to discuss with me as i had already provided the FIR to the policeman.

Honda service advisor inspected and estimated the damage to be 16K+ taxes and it would require

1. replacement of bumber
2. removing the dent on the boot door.
3. painting of bumper + booth
4. fixing of front bumper (it had moved from its place)
5. re-paiting some scratches on the front bumper.

after about 2 hours of discussion,
eventually the guy agreed to pay 30% of the repair cost which will take care of my no-claim bonus.

i had to agree as the guy seems to be from a modest background, working in a modest job.

Policeman called me several times in these 2 hours to check whether he needs to process the FIR. Eventually i told him to let the person and his bike go without any action.

I called up my insurance provider, logged the claim. provided all the details of the veicle as well as accident, got the claim no via SMS.

Filled the insurance claim form, handed over along with photocopies of
RC book, Driving license, Insurence policy to the Honda Service Advisor

Now the Insurence inspector will visit the Honda Dealer (body shop) and assess the claim. I got a call from the insurance provider to confirm the location of the car for visit of inspector.

I have also asked for Free Second Service. Service advisor told me that it would involve OIL change, the total estimate would be RS 3000/-

Service advisor told me that i will get my car tomorrow evening.

I sadly returned to from the service station in a rickshaw having spoiled mood and a dented car.

I hope my car return as it was by tomorrow evening.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 15th September 2009 at 14:20.