Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th March 2010, 18:04   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I do not have an iPOD, hence do not have first hand experience

I read in some thread that one needs to set the iPOD as a memory device and then you can skip the folders using the controls
have you tried this ?

can any other owner respond / confirm ?
I didn't try it. Would give it a shot.

But, I remember Manju was referring to disable "mass storage device", till then he could manage the list but could never play it.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 22:11   #362
Senior - BHPian

Default 15000 KM Milestone

This week the car completed 15000 KM on ODOmeter
current indication is 151xxKM.

Considering this to be my 10th month of ownership, it is about 1500 KM per month of about 50KM per day

But considering my three long trips of about 1200 KM, 1900 KM, 1400KM each, totaling 4500KMs, my average running is ~1100KM per month

Till now i have burnt about 1100 - 1200 ltrs of fuel costing ~ 60000 to 65000 RS in 10 months = 6000 to 6500 RS per month.

if i begin to think that if my car would have been a diesel car, it would have saved me about 10K-12K (1000-1200 RS per month), might be higher say 15K (cosidering diesel cars give higher milage) + 3K for remaining 2 months of this year totaling 18K per year.

Considering i would run the car this way for next 6 years 2 months, i would have saved about 18K x 7 = 126000 RS.

Does this justify buying a diesel car ?...let me think !!!

Any opinions ?

Last edited by StarVegabond : 11th March 2010 at 22:14.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 08:27   #363
BHPian

Default Petrol!

No. Nah. Don't think so.

Considering that 2nd gear is my official gear in the city, with Revvs touching 5K, the exhaust growling, adrenaline pumping, I stopped caring about Fuel prices, economy etc. Give me a high revving petrol any day.

There is something about your heart beating in rhythm with your 4pot or 6pot that makes men stop caring about WMDs, Global warming, 33% reservation, or Modi.

I am fine with my petrol, thank you.
Govinda-Govinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 09:08   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Considering this to be my 10th month of ownership, it is about 1500 KM per month of about 50KM per day

But considering my three long trips of about 1200 KM, 1900 KM, 1400KM each, totaling 4500KMs, my average running is ~1100KM per month

Till now i have burnt about 1100 - 1200 ltrs of fuel costing ~ 60000 to 65000 RS in 10 months = 6000 to 6500 RS per month.

if i begin to think that if my car would have been a diesel car, it would have saved me about 10K-12K (1000-1200 RS per month), might be higher say 15K (cosidering diesel cars give higher milage) + 3K for remaining 2 months of this year totaling 18K per year.

Considering i would run the car this way for next 6 years 2 months, i would have saved about 18K x 7 = 126000 RS.

Any opinions ?
Congrats for crossing 15K milestone.
I too have same average running as yours 1500kms/month.
that's why i bought Diesel Linea.
Every time i fill my tanks, make me happy as i have to give very lesser amount than before i used to fill in my WagonR.
In Chennai, Diesel is Rs.37.78 and Petrol is Rs.51.59 difference being Rs.13.81 per litre.
Even I am getting 14-15 kmpl in City and 19-21 kmpl in Highway.
For me,It's definitely worth buying Diesel wagon and Super Duper savings too
Enjoy and Drive Safe
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 10:02   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govinda-Govinda View Post
No. Nah. Don't think so.

Considering that 2nd gear is my official gear in the city, with Revvs touching 5K, the exhaust growling, adrenaline pumping, I stopped caring about Fuel prices, economy etc. Give me a high revving petrol any day.

There is something about your heart beating in rhythm with your 4pot or 6pot that makes men stop caring about WMDs, Global warming, 33% reservation, or Modi.

I am fine with my petrol, thank you.
+1

On other note its about individual mindset like why you need a car for commuting or for enjoyment as well.

Post ANHC my monthly fuel expenditure is getting increased by 1000-1500, i was bit worried about that (before buying), but ever since i bought it, i pat my back every-time i drive it.

PS.: I know how frustrating it was in my previous car (Zen) to complete that nick in a time overtake, I had to switch off my AC every-time I needed that immediate kick.

Last edited by TheBeastFieast : 12th March 2010 at 10:05.
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 10:45   #366
BHPian

Quote:

Any opinions ?
Many congratulations on reaching the 15k mark. Wish you many more miles of happy and a safe driving.

IMHO, this does not justify buying a diesel car.

1. When I was researching about buying a new car, I came across a lot of articles and authors who had suggested buying diesel cars provided your need is to travel upwards of 20,000 Kms a year and also that most of it is on highways. So, you usage is well within the limits.

2. I understand the savings part that you mentioned. As per your calculation you would save about 1.25 lacs in about 6 years time. If you had bought a diesel car from the same C+ segment(since Honda City doesn't have a Diesel variant), wouldn't it cost a premium(up-front over a petrol vehicle) to own one.

3. Thirdly, how I like to see my own experience is like this. I owned a Santro earlier and it gave me an average mileage of 10 kmpl in 100% city usage. My ANHC gives me a mileage averaging 11 kmpl in 100% city usage. So, I am almost spending as much as I spent on my Santro's petrol for my ANHC now.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 12th March 2010 at 10:47.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 19:13   #367
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Govinda, Karthik, Kalyan and the Beast for your opinions

I had thought this point when i was searching for a car a year ago.

My previous car Palio was run 62K KMs over 7 years ~ 8800 KM per year
or 730KM per month

i had certainly thought my second car would run between 1000 KM to 1200 KM per month any way.

My current running is bit more than this but still i do not think needs a diesel car basically becasue of my useage pattern

1. I do not use the car everyday. generally if i am travelling no one would use the car. Diesel cars need to be run everyday.

2. Personally i think if a car runs everyday 100+ KM then it makes sense to go for a diesel car. I would never drive such a distance everyday in India in near future because it would need me to be driving atleast 4+ hours every day some time one way, other times bothway included.
in such a case i might have to keep a driver or go for a car pool.

3. I love to leave all other front row cars behind in a traffic signal. No Diesel car would give me that fun. It is like a child getting his favourite toy. nothing beats it.

4. in my view petrol cars are less polluting than diesel cars

only diesel car which might still fun to drive : Skoda Laura.
again my personal opinon.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:06   #368
BHPian

Quote:
only diesel car which might still fun to drive : Skoda Laura.
again my personal opinon.
There are few good Diesel propositions in the market like, the Lauras, Cruzes and Vernas with a feel good drivable quotient. These options are not only pricier than ANHC but also can pose a big head ache with respect to A.S.S. I would be better off spending few bucks more on fuel rather than worry about A.S.S.
Verna may an exception in the above case, however I woudn't feel secure to be inside a fast car w/o adequate safety features. Moral of the story is Peace of mind scores over money
jayanth_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 18:40   #369
Senior - BHPian

As a Marketeer, i am often facinated by the charts, hence i thought of sharing some of the useability aspects in the form of charts, here are the first set of three charts, These are self explanatory.

1. Use pattern (Office/Work Vs Personal/Family Vs Long Drives)
2. AC Use pattern
3. Occupancy Rate
Attached Images

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th March 2010 at 18:43.
Old 13th March 2010, 20:13   #370
Senior - BHPian

Hi Star
Like you, even the milage on my ANHC is very high (20,000 kms in a year) and I am starting to feel I should have probably gone for a diesel car. What happened in my case was, I was planning to use the company bus but ended up driving everyday.
I also realise that torqey diesels may be more suitable for city driving, especialy in my style (dont like to rev much).
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 22:34   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
I would be better off spending few bucks more on fuel rather than worry about A.S.S.
Moral of the story is Peace of mind scores over money
Hi Jayant, very True, I fully agree. I am passionate about cars, but not passionate enough to keep chasing the service guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hi Star
Like you, even the milage on my ANHC is very high (20,000 kms in a year) and I am starting to feel I should have probably gone for a diesel car.
20K KM are a lot. that too on an AT, considering your car gives 10 KMPL, you have burned 2000 ltrs of fuel till now, that is over a lac of rupees.

even i do not like to rev up much, in fact i have never driven more than 3500 rpm till now.
Old 16th March 2010, 03:41   #372
BHPian

ok, so after spending my free time reading this thread i came to know that it took me 2 and half days to get the job done. Now i can catch up on the latest thread updates.

Very nice thread starvegabond as it certainly helps future buyers. Do post more pics of the car

Edit:
1. ANHC was launched in 2008 i guess, around may. Is a new version (with cosmetic mods & / engine mod) expected soon?
2. What rule / process do product companies follow so as to launch a new / modified product. I read it here (maybe) that after reaching a certain sales number, companies do tend to release a new version

Last edited by quadra : 16th March 2010 at 03:48.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 17:40   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
1. ANHC was launched in 2008 i guess, around may. Is a new version (with cosmetic mods & / engine mod) expected soon?
2. What rule / process do product companies follow so as to launch a new / modified product. I read it here (maybe) that after reaching a certain sales number, companies do tend to release a new version
Thanks quadra, i also hope that this thread would be of use to new buyers.

regarding your questions

1. My ANHC is bought in May 2009, minie is 1.5 SMT. Honda launched a new VMT model during Diwali 2009. it comes with alloys, fog lamps, and some cosmetic changes. There are owners (Jayant, Raghu, Pratim, Kalyan hrmanju etc) of this VMT model in the forum, you can refer to thier threads to know the latest.

2. As I understand, generally new versions (of a particular model) are launch to arrest a sales decline. intelligent marketeers forecast the decline early and schedule new version launches.
New Models are launched to generate new revenue streams or improve profitability.

hope i am able to answer your questions.
Old 19th March 2010, 03:11   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks quadra, i also hope that this thread would be of use to new buyers.

regarding your questions

1. My ANHC is bought in May 2009, minie is 1.5 SMT. Honda launched a new VMT model during Diwali 2009. it comes with alloys, fog lamps, and some cosmetic changes. There are owners (Jayant, Raghu, Pratim, Kalyan hrmanju etc) of this VMT model in the forum, you can refer to thier threads to know the latest.

2. As I understand, generally new versions (of a particular model) are launch to arrest a sales decline. intelligent marketeers forecast the decline early and schedule new version launches.
New Models are launched to generate new revenue streams or improve profitability.

hope i am able to answer your questions.
Thanks for the update starvegabond.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 04:11   #375
BHPian

BTW, Honda and Toyota are 2 manufacturers who differ here, Both of them would refurbish their models in about 3 years and replace existing after about 5 years. I think it is their policy (got this from someone inside of Honda)

If you look at the record for both, you will agree,

OHC launched in 1997, refurbished in 2000, replaced with NHC launched in 2003, refurbished (ZX) in 2005, replaced with ANHC launched in 2008

Accord launched in 2001, replaced with 7th Generation Accord launched in 2003, refurbished in 2006, replaced with 8the Generation Accord launched in 2008,

Honda CRV launched in 2003, refurbished in 2005 and then replaced in 2007

Toyota Qualis launched in 2000, refurbished in 2003, Replaced with Innova in 2005 which got refurbished in 2008, Now What?

Toyota Corolla launched in 2003, refurbished in 2005, replaced with Corolla Altis in 2008.

Toyota Camry launched in 2002, refurbished in 2005 and then replaced with 6th Generation Camry in 2006

BTW, all these models that both Toyota and Honda replaced were selling like hot cakes at the time of replacement, None of these models had shown any signs of decline in sales.

P.S. I have taken the launch dates for all Cars and not their Introduction dates.
shantanumishra is offline   Reply With Quote