Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th August 2010, 00:28   #421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Additions or Modifications
---------------------------

1. I have to get the latest maps + OS for my N97 and get it working for real time navigation
After several attempts at downloading the nokia maps and OVI suite via broadband and then trying to load it into the N97 mini and failing misarably, i finanlly manged to get them working by directly downloading them via the GPRS connection and just updating using the phone UI.

i am now using the maps and navigation since last 3 days, my initial impression is good.

The navigation (or drive to destination) is a good feature, but i find nokia maps not very accurate w.r.t. the one ways in bangalore. Yesterday night while returning from Majestic to Yelahanka, it was trying to take me to some oneways, but then i managed to stay on course as i knew the roads.

i also find there is a lag between the actual position and the one indicated on the screen.

i see that these above two could be issues when i drive on un-known roads/destinations.

The Phone (GPS sensor) works fine within in the car, A-GPS is quick to get latch on to the signal, the touch screen zoom in/out is wonderful to use.

While using the phone as navigator, if a phone call is received, then switching the phone to speaker mode is bit difficult. i need to try with my BT headset from tomorrow.

I also find that the backlight gets switched off after 60 seconds max. to keep the backlight working one has to alwasy connect the charger or be in the "drive to destination" mode. if one is in map mode then screen gets turned off after 60 seconds.

i have found that the phone battery drains very fast if the GPS remains ON even accidentally. I need to check how long the battery survives with both GPS and BT ON.

These are my initial feedbacks, as i use the device more, i will post more updates along with some pictures in couple of days.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 29th August 2010 at 00:32.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 19:58   #422
Senior - BHPian

Returned to Bangalore on SUNDAY (17th Oct) midnight after a 1020KM drive over 3 days.

We had some personal work in Chennai, so thought of adding Pichhavaram & Pondicherry to the list and we drove out of home at 3AM on 15th Oct.

Till sometime past 5AM, everything was fine, we had hit the NH66 after Krishnagiri. The road conditions were terrible with unpredictable pot holes. We hit one such pot hole probably at 70KMPH, i felt the noise while rim trying feel the road/pot hole, after which we slowed down significantly. Still after a while we hit another such pot hole probably at 50KMPH.

After several minutes of drive, i felt the that there is some noise coming from the front wheel. I parked the car along side and inspected for any damage. but none could be found, so we drove further.

At 6 AM, the noise coming from the front right wheel was very loud and while I applied brakes, it was as if some one is "shouting loud". So we thought that the wheel might have got bent when we hit the pot hole or either brake pads would have got damaged. We stopped at Uthangarai and tried changing the wheel and found that the problem persisted. So it was narrowed down to brake pad failure.

We tried calling Honda One2One. We were welcomed by a automated reply that all lines are busy. By this time clock already showing 7 AM.
Soon decided to drive further very slowly. Wife tried to findout whether Honda had a service center in Pondy, but could not find the name etc in the user manual / service manual.

We tried calling Whitefield Honda, the security replied that we need to call back by 8:30 AM. We tried the number of the Service Advisor and Sales advisor whom i was in touch with. Probably it was too early for them.

Soon decided that it is better to go to Chennai directly, skipping Pondicherry. Meanwhile the Sales Advisor from Whitefield Honda returns my call. I explain the problem to him. He says "Saar, you should have changed the brake pads at 20000 KMs, You seems to be a very good driver !!!, now your car is well past 29000 KMs, so your brake pads have last 10000KM extra and now they have failed !!!, better replace them ". I asked him whether there is a Honda Showroom/Service station at Pondy. He was not aware, so we agreed that we need to drive to chennai. So we approached the Tinidivanam from where Chennai was 123KMs.

While we were waiting at a railway crossing, the Honda One2One lady calls back. After another quick explanation of the problem, she registers our complaint and asks where exactly we are and where we can come to get the vehicle repaired.

I tell her that we are some 45 KMs from Pondicherry and 123 KMs rom Chennai. When she said, " Sir, we have one new Honda Shine show room/service station in Pondicherry", it was a huge sigh of relief. soon we take a detour and by 9.10 AM we reached Shine Honda.

We were told that it will take 1 hour to replace the front wheel discs + brake pads. I asked them replace both front wheels just to be sure.
We went into the town for the breakfast and we returned to by 10:30 AM, the vehicle was ready and waiting for a cleanup+shower.

Wife managed to catchup few winks, daughter got herself updated some cartoons on the LCD TV in the lounge, i managed to catch up with mails while waiting in lounge. Eventually some hot tea brought us back to "Taazgee"

After the trial, shower and billing we got our vehicle by 11:15 AM.

As per the invoice,
1 set of front brake pads (16CL-14V) costing RS 3157.20
1 set from front brake discs costing RS 3100.28 including 12.5% LST. Labour cost of RS 380 plus Service Tax of RS 39.14

Total Bill was RS 6677/-

As soon as we drive out of Shine Honda our Sales Advisor from Whitefield honda calls to tell that there is a Honda in Pondicherry, and checks how far we are from Chennai/Pondicherry. We told him, the car is back to full glory and thanked him for his help.

Negatives:
1. delayed our journey as we lost some 2 hours in the journey due to slow driving, 2 hours for the repairs and 2 hours to regain our energy back due to all these activities.
2. Gave us some stressful 4 hours.
3. We had to drop pichhavaram from the iternary as there was no way we could have accomodated 6 hours delay.

Positives:
1. we were happy that we were not stranded,
2. We experienced the quick response of Honda one2one and the Honda Sales Advisor
3. We were attened quickly by Honda Service Station at Pondicherry, the staff personally took interest to take up the repairs on priority
4. We could continue with our holiday at Pondicherry as planned.
5. We experienced an Auto rickshow ride in Pondicherry for RS 30/- and also practiced communicating with Tamil speaking driver in Hindi/English later on managed to communicate using sign language.

Eventually we spent the remaining day (on 15th)
1. at Guest house at Auroville where we had booked for one day,
2. an evening at Aeroville beach taking a dip in the sea,
3. Franco-Italian Dinner at Aeroville,
4. Post dinner moon light walk on the Pondicherry seashore

and 16th morning and afternoon
5. early morning sun rise at Pondicherry sea shore,
6. breakfast Le Cafe,
7. Visit to Auroville & Matrmandir,
8. visits to some local fashion shops, metal and handicraft shops,
9. visits to flower shops as well managed to do a Pooja of the car on the Maha Navami day.

Drove to Chennai on via ECR between 3:30 PM to 6:30 pm, took some stops for pictures, checked into Hotel Sprint at Nungambakam by 6:30 PM.

Completed the personal work i.e. visiting a childhood friend of my wife and thier family, having dinner with them. Next day was spent in a relaxed manner, visited express avenue mall along iwth my wife's friend, had a Rajdhani thali, did some window shopping (for the boys) and actual shopping (for the girls..as usual).

Started the drive back to Bangalore by 5 PM, took couple of detours through chennai as some roads were converted to oneways, some wrong direction by GPS, couple of stops for pictures etc.

Reached Vellore-Sripuram by 8:05 PM to find that the temple entry got closed at 8 PM, started the journey by by 8:15 PM from and reached home by 12 mid night. We missed the turn to A2B at Krishnagiri (and hence the dinner too, instead had some packed snacks, fruits etc) and had to drive through dense traffic all till Bangalore.

1020 KM drive in 2 tankfull of petrol i.e. 70 ltrs (FE of 14.5KMPL) over 70 hours was very memorable at the end.

Now the ODO reads 297xx KMs, it has been some 18 months since received the delivery of this car. I am begining to think, the ANHC is making me drive more than what Palio did previously.

Next trip in middle of November...5 day trip to Goa for a wedding in the family. It will be another ~ 1800 KM drive and expereince of a life time...a wedding on the beach.

till then.. back to work..

Last edited by StarVegabond : 19th October 2010 at 20:13.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:32   #423
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thank God for the new Shine Honda location, and also that you could still drive after the disc was damaged. 4 hours is nothing; you got away lucky. Still curious though : how could a large pothole damage a disc brake? This is probably the first time I'm hearing of such an occurrence.

You probably paid the 7 grand via credit card? Always a good idea to carry extra $$ (even if liquid) with you.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 21:05   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank God for the new Shine Honda location, and also that you could still drive after the disc was damaged. 4 hours is nothing; you got away lucky. Still curious though : how could a large pothole damage a disc brake? This is probably the first time I'm hearing of such an occurrence.

You probably paid the 7 grand via credit card? Always a good idea to carry extra $$ (even if liquid) with you.
Yes your right GTO, we were indeed lucky. There was no getting stranded on the road. more over the trip was a safe one.

I still feel amazed that despite this probelm i could drive the car for about 170-180KMs. That is what i call performance, reminds me of the movie Terminator I where the machine, despite being burnt or hand being broken still tries to kill the lady. Automobile is a perfect example of a machine where a minor failure of one part of the machine does not affect the performance or working of other parts to some extent.

I am more amazed that wheel is perfectly fine. i am not very sure that the brake pads failed becasue of the pot hot. they might have worn off as well. i was just trying to keep a note of sequence of events. I just now realized, i forgot to take the picture of the failed part.

Shine Honda saved me from driving another 80+ KM till Chennai.

But they do not accept credit cards. Whenever i am travelling rural India, i carry enough cash for us to last for the entire trip. So I paid cash.

Rural India is still a cash economy, Is haat de, is haat le

Last edited by StarVegabond : 20th October 2010 at 21:09.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:12   #425
BHPian

Hi SV,

Good to hear that dealers and 121 helped you in crisis. and at the end everything went fine.

Did they show you damaged disc?

Mine is nearing 20k (18340km) on the ODO and I already feel the need to change the pads. Occasionally I can hear break pads creak sound and thad sound when breaks engaged and released, as if it's hold to the discs. You managed 29k.

Cheers
Raghu

Last edited by raghu230506 : 20th October 2010 at 22:13.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 22:28   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi SV,

Did they show you damaged disc?
Yes, i remember seeing the new and the old discs. the right week disc was still good, but i anyway aked them to change it as i did not want to face similar problem few hundred KM down the line.

I forgot to take the pictures of the discs due to the fact that we were in a hurry to reach the guest house.

regarding your vehicle's brake pads, it is better to get them chencked during the 20K service and take the necessary action.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:02   #427
BHPian

HI SV,

Good to know that you could drive through the distance (to Shine Honda) with damaged disc and complete the repair.

Recently , I did a trip form Kolkata to Bhubaneswar (470 Kms) and non availibilty of Honda service on the way, was always playing on my mind. Anyway, completed the trip without any problem.

Just wanted to add that your trip details are always as source of inspiration for me to take long drive frequently.
Ram_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 14:59   #428
BHPian

Hi SV,

Great that you are back in business and that the trip was safe for all of you. Its nice to know that both Honda One2One and your regular Honda A.S.S responded quickly to your calls for help. This is one of the reason's I trust Honda and Toyota a lot despite of them having far lesser number of service centers in comparison to Maruti or Hyundai.

Regards,
Kalyan
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:15   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Just wanted to add that your trip details are always as source of inspiration for me to take long drive frequently.
Hi Ram,

you are generous with your comments here, thanks for the same. i am just a normal guy trying to enjoy some good time with the family. Purpose of sharing is to keep a record of good memories, if it helps others it is like Sone pe Suhaga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
This is one of the reason's I trust Honda and Toyota a lot despite of them having far lesser number of service centers in comparison to Maruti or Hyundai.
Hi Kalyan,

By grace of god and good wishes of my friends (from the real world as well as virtual world like this one), we had a safe trip.

Yes, trust is built on how consitently, repeatedly and predictably the similar experience or service is provided to consumer irrespective the location from where the consumer is accessing the service.

The trust and good will thus gained gets converted into the Brand Equity / value.

I remember i had experienced a clutch failure near chitradurga 2 years ago with my FIAT Palio. Even though people from Tata Motors dealership in Chitradura were very courteous and willing work extra (i had not met a better service advisor than the one in that dealership in any other Tata-FIAT dealerships in 7 years of my Palio ownership) , it took them the whole day to get the vehicle to tow my car some 15 KMs back to chitraduga and 3 days to get the clutch plate assembly and fix it in the car. We stayed for 3 days in chitradurga.

When i compare these two experiences, even though the people have similar passion and commitment level to support the customer, the processes, support systems etc the company follows did not allow the delivery of superior customer experience in case of my previous car brand/company.

The right processes, availability of spares, competent staff, presence of the consumer complaint redressal system like Hone One2One coupled with passionate, courteous staff in case of Honda enabled a pleasant experience.

Imagine if i would have received the treatment like my old car brand plus the dealer not accepting credit card and insisting on the cash payment. When experience is good, we tend to accomodate smaller issues untill they are not hygiene ones.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 22nd October 2010 at 20:26.
Old 22nd October 2010, 21:21   #430
BHPian

Star Vegabond - 20K life for brake pads is really surprising

Considering that our ANHC has already done 32K kms and there's no problem with the brakes ! Our previous NHC had done 65K kms when we sold it & the brake pads hadnt been changed !

Thanks for this vital info, will get this checked at the earliest with Whitefield Honda. Ill open up the front wheels & check the conditions of pads & discs tomorrow itself.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:26   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kalyan,

Yes, trust is built on how consistently, repeatedly and predictably the similar experience or service is provided to consumer irrespective the location from where the consumer is accessing the service.
Absolutely true, for a good customer experience we need a combination of passion amongst the service enter personnel and well laid-out processes/ regulations from the company itself. Failure in either of them could end-up with a dis-satisfied customer.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:39   #432
Senior - BHPian

I am very much annoyed at someone unknown.
Yesterday morning i noticed this on the passenger side front door.

Some one seems to have crashed on to my car door, probably some children riding on bicycle within the residential complex.
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City-overview.jpg

Taking a closer look...scratches seems to be deeper
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City-closeup-1.jpg

There is deeper scratch here
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City-close-up2.jpg

I do not know when this happened or who did this. I am sure this was not there last week when I returned form Pondy/Chennai.

Our car trips have been on the rise, so thought of buying a so called travel organizer. Yesterday bought one in SPAR at Mantri square for RS350/-

This is how it looks like, I will fasten it to the rear side of the driver's seat during the road trips.
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City-real-one.jpg

This is a typical use case as shown on the packing.
At last i am upgrading to a new dream car ! - The All New Honda City-typical-use-case.jpg

It comes in two colours, i got one which matches with ANHC interiors.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 24th October 2010 at 09:43.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:14   #433
BHPian

Ouch.

That really hurts.

Last night while I was returning home, stone from no where landed on my right door (driver side) and made a small dent with scratches

It's really sad, to see things happen without our mistake.

Get the baby back in shape.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 25th October 2010 at 10:22.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 15:51   #434
BHPian

Quote:
He says "Saar, you should have changed the brake pads at 20000 KMs
So star, i haven't had any issues till now with the brakes. My car has done 27k kms. I had a recent business tour to Coimbatore. I never had any issues as such.

Do you suggest a brake pad replacement?

I am sorry to see your lovely car damaged and scratched.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 16:57   #435
BHPian

Ah, thats got to hurt. I park my car in the office parking lot and every now and then I find a scratch on my car. There must be something we can do about restoring these kind of damages!