Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th June 2009, 22:29   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Anymore journeys planned Star? WHat happened to the camera upgrade?
Half year end (June) is close by, working on sales right now has been travelling last about 8 days, returned home on saturday night

no more immidiate long drive plans, just focus on the work.
Might be during year end period either to Kodai + Ooty or Chennai+Pondy.
or Hampi + Badami + Gulbarga

regarding Camera upgrade, i have postponed it as of now as i built a SOHO (small office home office) last week end. Blew up the money earmarked for professional camera into a PC + Printer + UPS + Workstation + Chair
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 22:43   #107
BHPian

congrats for your car dude, but..umm
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Accessories : Lord Ganesha (at dealer)
eh?
amya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 22:59   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amya View Post
congrats for your car dude, but..umm
eh?
Thanks Amya: Small statue of Lord Ganesha was given by the dealer, Good thing is he did not charge me for it at the time of delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Most important upgrade needed ASAP is Automatic climate control. Absolutely love it.
Eventhough i do feel that the cooling is adequate as of now, Automatic Climate control (ACC) is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50xj13 View Post
knowing Honda build quality i never had an problem.
i also hope that i won't have a probelm in near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50x13 View Post
Some suggestions sir,
1. Lock on Passenger side door
2. Engine coolant inlet to be in a better position.
3. Better noise insulation in Dicky, Bonnet.
4. Side view mirrors folding is must.
5. 2 keys with remote
6. Fog lamps.
7. Mud flaps ...
8. Central lock button on driver side.

Most of these suggestions will be implemented by honda in their 3 year upgrade i think.
out of about, i find that following is already available.

8. Central Lock button on driver side (all doors get locked when driver side door is locked by the driver)

7. Mudflaps (part of essential kit)

4. side mirror folding (mechanical folding is available)

2. Engine coolant inlet to be in a better position. (Better position is a relative term, currently i do not find any probelm)

3. Better noise insulation in Dicky, Bonnet. (Better is a relative term, i find it adequate, might be because i was driving a Palio for last 7 years)

Why do you feel the need of passanger side lock ?, Anyway remote locking is available ?

Yes, i certainly want 2 keys with remote buttons, currently only one key has remote buttons

Yes, Fog lamps might be a necessity in hilly, foggy areas, for city driving i do not feel the need of fog lamps, more over i never had a fog lamp on my good old Palio.
Old 17th June 2009, 23:37   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a really nice thread! Some of your points are so valid but usually missed by the "professional" reviewers.

I'm really enjyoing reading this thread. Keep it coming

Now all your car needs is some Lenso Samurai alloys and some good tyres

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 17th June 2009 at 23:40.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 11:26   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
This is a really nice thread! Some of your points are so valid but usually missed by the "professional" reviewers.

I'm really enjyoing reading this thread. Keep it coming

Now all your car needs is some Lenso Samurai alloys and some good tyres
Thanks Nikhil. Sure, i will post some more of my observations in next week once i reach milestone of 1 month of ownership

w.r.t Alloys and tyres, yes, currently my ANHC does not have alloys, but i already have a good Michelin tyres. As of now i do nto have any plans to change the RIMs as well as tyres. the reason is as below;

i also work for a product company, i firmly belive that the company which has designed the product knows it the best. I am sure Honda when they launch the product in India, have tested/tuned the performance to optimum level (ofcourse maximizing their profits) and have chosen various components and subsystems. hence i would like to stick with Honda's judgement w.r.t. OEM RIMs and tyres at least for first 3-4 years.

i would certainly like to have a TPMS solution before the end of the year. I am waiting for some more knowhow / reviews of these products before i make up my mind to spend the money.
Old 20th June 2009, 09:50   #111
Senior - BHPian

Default One Month, 1400KM long drive, 1000 KM of city drive, free service, satisfied family

When i was buying my first car during May 2002, my boss had told me

"Wife/Husband and Car need to be chosen after thinking through in all aspects, else one has to repent after the honeymoon"

Now-a-days even though people frequently change their cars, but this psychology seems to be continuing in terms choosing the partner (for lifelong) and car (for 3-5-7 years).

It has been one month since i bought my second car - Honda ANHC 1.5 SMT. As the title reads, past one month has been very eventful "Honeymoon" and a great experience. Most importantly it is continuing as i type these words. I wish that this Honeymoon continue for till we decide to part ways after few years.

First and formost is my daughter, She was very happy to see the new car, simply loves the rear seat, always aspires to take the front seat next to me, has taken control of ICE remote, just like she had done with the TV remote. Often slept in the car without any concern for the outside traffic/rains etc, in a nut shell made it her second home. Only thing she wants extra is a TV screen embedded into the front seats so that she can watch cartoons or play games just like being in kingfisher airlines.

Secondly, Wifey, she wanted me to buy a cheaper car initially, now completely sold onto Honda ANHC, Eventhough she has not told me, i know that she is wanting to drive the car herself. but i do not want to let go the steering.

Thirdly my parents, they are very proud that the car is so big, so good, so cool, so fast and most importantly thier three loving lives are so safe in this car.

My relatives including my brother and his family liked the car very much and am sure want to keep getting into this car whenever possible.

My colleagues and friends kept telling me that i made a good choice of the car make, model and colour. Ofcourse they want me to throw a party and invite the town. But as i have already paid a bomb for the car, i manage with small get-togethers as of now. Some of my european colleagues who experienced the car drive with me told that, it is a great car with excellent refinement, good looking design and most importantly safe. some people also told me that it looks like civic.

The neighbouring IOCL fuel station attendents, neighbourhood puncherwala and cleaning/washing wala have started paying more attention now to my car.

Honda ANHC brought in some changes in me over last one month compared to my palio days.

1. i have become a more responsible driver. i was begining to forget the lane drive discipline of mumbai (where i was driving from 2002-2007) and get Bangalored in terms of cutting the lanes, zig-zag driving like two wheelers, squeezing through the traffic jams etc. My Palio also suffered few dents/scratches over last 1 + year due to this. Now this new car makes me more responsible and stick to disciplined driving even though my timings have remained more or less same.

2. I have started respecting the highly paid (20K$ or 50K$ per hour) 2 wheeler drivers in Namma Bangaluru more than before. I drive my car carefully so that i do not come in their way and waste theire precisous seconds in the proecess ensurign that they do not put their signatures on my car.

3. Car is teaching me how to park especially while reversing. parking Palio was very easy now not only i need to find enough parking space, but also more secure space while in the city so that no one can bump into the car by accident.

4. Of late, driving to office in the morning through KR Puram was making me feel " Oh..no, should i really drive today ?, But now, i have once again get into "just grab the keys and get into the car and simply drive" mode. The music makes the journey even better

5. Earlier i was getting the tyres filled every week, but over last one month, i checked the pressure once, and decided that in future i will check only once a month. Thanks to tubeless tyres and ofcourse no worries of flat tyre. The neighbourhood puncturewala must be cursing that he lost his small monthly income stream.

6. I also have started respecting speed breakers and pot holes more than before. i am starting to perfect the art of completely stopping the car (ignoring the honking by vehicle behind me) slowly cross the speed breaker a bit diagonally and then speeding up once again.

7. Most importantly, bank balance has seen some errosion over last 1+ month. But i am not complaining a bit. More over I have spent approx 550 RS for car cleaning both externally and internally over last month. The neighbourhood washing/cleaning center owner is happy that i upgraded as previously i used to take my palio once a month for clean up, now i
go there every week.

I am summarizing below what i would like Honda to improve in ANHC (sorry for repeating some of them from previous posts)

1. I would wish that Honda produces a more fuel efficient engines and cars. Eventhough currently it is good, it is never good enough. A greener car woudl certainly help in pushing Honda equity in the market place. The fuel efficiency calculator seems to have some deviation compared to manual calculations. The algorithm/program needs improvement in accuracy.

2. Rear view should be made more panaromic. i certainly feel that hatchbacks provide better panaromic rearview than sedans. this is important especially in India as some drivers have this habit of overtaking from left at high speeds. Panaromic view will help in such cases.

3. Date display to be provided on the ICE panel

4. Window glass (if open) should automatically shut when the car is locked using the remote key.

5. Seeking (finding) the car in the parking lot. this function can be added to Remote Key + immobilizer. This would need an additional button when pressed, will make the blinkers on so that the driver can identify the car in a crowded car park.

6. More powerful High beam lamps for the Rainy Night drives.

7. i would like to have honda install TPMS with indicators on dashboard and also the second key to have remore opening buttons.

8. Accessories list can be expanded to include mobile phone chargers, laptop chargers, car refrigirators / cooler boxes etc.

9. Automatic Climate Control, Alloy Wheels, Integrated Fog Lamps, Rubber mats (for rainy season) are welcome.

10. I would like Honda to start drive through Car Care centers. This will help not only in saving time for the owners but also new service revenue stream for Honda/dealers.

11. Improving the ground clearance has always been a challenge for global car companies. Improvement in road infrastructre would certainly ease the probelm in coming years. Any self help by Honda in increacing GC would helpin improving their sales in India.

12. Most importantly, i would like Honda to keep introducing new models, keep expanding their dealer and service network, keep selling more cars, keep making more money/profits. This will help them in designing better more advanced products and hopefully at cheaper price

In a nut shell, Honeymoon continues. Hopefull of living happily together for next few years.

My apologies for long post, thanks for reading

Last edited by StarVegabond : 20th June 2009 at 09:52.
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda is checking the feedback

Till now i have received 3 calls, one each from the Dealer, Honda and JD Power ASIA regarding my car purchase.

In fact the lady from JD power asia called 3 times, two times before as i was driving, i declined to give comments and asked her to call back.
Today she found me in my office and fired questions for about 20 minutes.

the questions were related to

1. First time my entry into the dealership
2. how dealership is maintained
3. how i was treated at the dealership
4. product availability, documents, demonstrations, answering questions, test drives, TD vehicle, color options, accessories etc
5. Sales Consultants competence, courtesy, attention, ability to handle objections, know about competitor products etc
6. Price Negotiation Process
7. Order booking process
8. Financing process, options
9. Insurance, Registration Process
9. Sales Tactics, pressures (if any) emplyed by the dealer
10. PDI, delivery process, timing, commitments honoured
11, actual delivery moments, documentation, transparancy, feel good factors, Demonstration of the vehicle, honouring commitments, cleanliness of the vehicle, introduction to service advisor etc
12. post delivery feedback collection by dealer, honda
13. overall satisfaction of owning the car
14. whether i will recommend Honda to others, whether i will buy Honda again etc.

For some of the questions, answer required were Yes or No, for some questions the answers required was a score between 0-10 (0 being Poor, 10 being Outstanding).

I was promised that some one from Honda will call to check on qualitative feedback (other than the aspects covered by the survey). Anyway, i will print a copy of this thread and hand it over to him.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 2nd July 2009 at 18:23.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:34   #113
Senior - BHPian

Default Ownership update after 3200+ KMs

Note to MODS: Please change the title of the thread: "Test Drive and Ownership report of ANHC and 3000KM update"

I completed 3000KM on odometer last week. Current ODO reading is about 3200 KM. It has been just 2 months since i took the delivery on 21st May.

I just calculated how much fuel the car has consumed. Till now i have bought 245 ltr fuel. this gives an overall FE of 13 KMPL which i think is very good for a 1496cc engine and class C sedan with AC on thoughout. My driving pattern has been 1400 KM on long highway / rural drive. Remaining 1800KM of city drive.

I have spent about ~12000 RS on the fuel (= 3.75 RS per KM)

In last about 2 months, i took the car to the nearby car care center in all about 5 times for both exterior and interior cleaning as well as the under body cleaning (once out 5). In all i spent about RS 900/- on car care.. They charge about RS 150 for external washing/cleaning, RS 200 for external and internal washing/cleaning, RS 250 for External+Internal+under body washing/cleaning.

I have got two very minor scratches, one on rear bumper and one on front bumper on left side, both scratches are self inflicted while parking. Both are visible only after close observation.

Initially i had planned to buy rubber floor mats (for rainy season), but till now i have not felt the need of the same.

Initially i explored for some seat covers in couple of shops, but did not buy as i did not like any. Now I have decided to go for seat covers after one year.

some more feedback about the car.

1. i have observed that the fuel economy is better when i drive the car on 1st gear only in a bumper to bumper traffic.
2. There is a time lag between the distance shown on reverse parking sensor and the audio beep. It took me some time to gain the right understanding of the behavior.
3. now i have perfected the art of crossing big speed breakers . the instances are near zero in last one month. if there are rumblers, then it is better to put the car in the neutral gear and use the very low speed (~10KMPH) to cross over.
4. Instances of visits to the Honda show room were only two times, first time for the first service and second time for collecting the RC book. Actually i was offered pick up/drop for the car as well as for the RC book delivery, but still visited show room to meet the service advisor and sales consultant as well as have a look at new Jazz.
5. Everyone who has travelled with me in the car have liked the very low noise from the engine, the smoothness of the drive and the FM/USB stereo. Now I have three memory sticks (2GB / 4 GB / 256 MB) full of music, no need to carry any CD/DVDs etc.
5. I have checked the tyre air pressure only once in last 2 months. i am very happy that this saves me some time/money every 2-3 days (in comparison to old Palio).

Everything has been so good and predictable with the car that there are no surprises/shocks. I had no opportunity of "learning by doing myself" till now.
i would prefer to keep it that way.

i intend to keep this thread as running report. Next updates would happen after the second and third service.

thanks for reading
Old 24th July 2009, 11:46   #114
BHPian

I thought tyre pressure needs to be checked every 2 weeks?
In my Linea i fill every 2-3 weeks (there will be 2 psi reduction).

Quote:
5. I have checked the tyre air pressure only once in last 2 months. i am very happy that this saves me some time/money every 2-3 days (in comparison to old Palio).
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:03   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
I thought tyre pressure needs to be checked every 2 weeks?
In my Linea i fill every 2-3 weeks (there will be 2 psi reduction).
the User manual says that the tyre may loose 10-20kPa (0.1 to 0.2 kgf/cm2) per month

when checked the pressure after 5 weeks, it was still same as the one filled on day0, more over everyday morning, i do not feel that the tyre is loosing pressure. i have also not felt any change in the ride quality.

anyway i will try to check again this week end when i re-fuel.
Old 24th July 2009, 19:36   #116
Senior - BHPian

Default Fuel Economy

I was thinking about the Fuel Economy of my car
i was tempted to read the certificate provided with the car.

it mentions that CITY 1.5 EMT/SMT will give 16.5KMPL and 1.5SAT will give 16.1KMPL.

But there is a disclaimer that says the actual fuel economy obtained by the users will differ from these values due to infinite variables such as

1. driving habits (can be influenced by the driver/owner)
2. road conditions (beyond control/influence of driver/owner)
3. traffic conditions (beyond control/influence of driver/owner)
4. fuel quality (can be chosen by the driver/owner)
5. maintenance practices (under warrantee hence controlled by Honda dealer)
6. loading pattern (can be influenced by the driver/owner)
7. ambient conditions (beyond control/influence of driver/owner)
8. usual engineering tolerances on components (beyond control/influence of driver/owner)
9. etc

After this i was tempted to read the owners manual on recommended driving habits. I found following guidelines in the owners manual

Recommended Gear Shift Points
----------------------------------
Drive in the highest gear that lets the engine run and accelerate smoothly. This will give you good fuel economy and effective emissions control. Following shift points are recommended

Shift up Normal acceleration

1st to 2nd 24 KMPH
2nd to 3rd 43 KMPH
3rd to 4th 62 KMPH
4th to 5th 85KMPH

Max Allowable speeds
---------------------------------
If you exceed these speeds these speeds, the engine speed will enter into the tachometer's red zone and you may feel engine cut in and out. engine will run normally when you reduce the RPM below the red zone.

Before downshifting make sure the vehicle will not exceed the max allowable speed to avoid engine damage.

Gear Max Speed

1st 51 KMPH
2nd 94 KMPH
3rd 143 KMPH
4th 185 KMPH

Recommended Fuel
--------------------------
for 1497cc engine Unleaded 91 RON (min) fuel to be used. This means Xtra Premium (IOCL) type of fuel to be used. RON stands for Research Octane Number. Incase petrol with lower octane is used, it might result in Engine Knocking (i am not aware what it is !). Leaded fuel will damage vehicles emissions control and engine apart from polluting the air.

Some Tips for improving fuel economy
-------------------------------------

1. Always maintain your vehicle according to the maintenance schedule
2. Use proper airpressures in the tyre. under inflated tyre causes more rolling resistance and hence higher fuel.
3. Buildup of snow or mud on the vehicle's underside adds to the weight and rolling resistance. Frequent cleaning helps improving fuel milage and reduces chances of corrosion
4. Drive moderately. Rapid Acceleration, abrupt cornering and hard braking use more fuel.
5. Always drive in highest gear possible
6. Try to maintain constant speed. Everytime when the vehicle slows down or speeds up, it uses extra fuel.
7. combine several short trips into onw.
8. The airconditioning puts an extra load on the engine which makes it use more fuel. Use Fresh air ventilation when possible.

Loading of the Car
----------------------
Unladden weight of the car is 1100 KG.
If five people are travelling in the car it adds to 325 KG @ 65 KG avg

Max permissible weight for India model Manual transmission is 1490 KG

Which means if there are 5 people in the car, the extra luggege
allowed is only 1490 - 1100 - 325 = 55 KGs only.

Avg sized full trolly bag will have a weight of 12-15 KGs which means there can be max 4 bags in the boot.

If we put on the seat covers and pillows etc then it will also add to the weight of the car and effectively reduce the amount of luggege we can carry.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 24th July 2009 at 19:46.
Old 16th August 2009, 09:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

A quick update:

Completed 4K KM yesterday, the ODO meter reads 4007KM

i found two things

1. the front window glasses can be made automatically slide down/up by pressing the driver side control button for a bit longer. this feature is quite useful

2. the RPM meter shows approx 1000RPM even when car is not moving, but engine is idling. I would like to know the technical reason for this.
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Default ICE Upgrade: Touch Screen TFT with Multimedia Player

Friends,

One person in my family was not entirely not happy with my ANHC. You might have guessed who it is !!, She is my 7 year old daughter. She wanted me to buy a Innova with a King Fisher like TV screen inside. Even though she did not tell me specifically i knew that ANHC was not up to her expectation.

So i was thinking from last 3 months how i can make her bit more happy. Changing to an Innova was out of question. I was not very keen to change the stock music system of ANHC as i still feel the quality is excellent. I did not want to add any fancy ICE as i did not want to void my warrantee as well as my budget was limited.

So i thought of using the retrofit option, by using the AUX In of the inbuilt system. I upgraded with the following system.

1. 7", Touch screen TFT display with brightness control.
2. 800 x 480 pixels with 16K colors
3. Playback Quality: DVD, 720P
4. Music Formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, APE etc
5. Video formats: MPEG (AVI), RM, RMVB, FLV,
6. Still picture formats: JPG, BMP, PNG with browsing and rotating
7. E-book reading with bookmark facility
8. Built in Memory: 8 GB
9. External Memory: 8 GB Kingston uSD card extendable to 32 GB
10. Interface: USB 2.0, TV Out, 2 x Audio outs
11. File Browsing and song search possibility
12. Built in Speakers
13. AM/FM Radio with recording facility
14. Built in MIC with recording facility
15: Dimensions : 195 x 126 x 11 mm and 387 gm weight

Today i installed the system and demonstrated to my wife and daughter. My wife was worried that TV viewing has also moved to the car and it would distract the driving. I told her that the screen can be moved to rear seat as well so that it would not distract me while driving.

My daughter was delighted and immediately brought all her cartoon DVDs and asked to copy them into the system. I have a huge task ahead.

Will post some pictures of installation shortly.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 23rd August 2009 at 11:13.
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:26   #119
BHPian

Interesting ICE upgrade. Am curiously awaiting the pictures. If you don't mind can you reveal how much it cost you?
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. the RPM meter shows approx 1000RPM even when car is not moving, but engine is idling. I would like to know the technical reason for this.
That is the idle RPM of the car. Should be slightly lower though. It will vary with load (AC, ICE), engine temperature and so on. For example, my Civic idles at nearly 1100RPM on a cold start. It gradually drops to around 700RPM as the engine reaches operating temperature. It drops when the AC comes on and the ECU immediately compensates. The manual even says that the engine will idle at a higher RPM so that it comes to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This is for emissions and economy reasons.

I have to admit, I like watching the rev meter doing it's little dance.

'gratz on your trouble free experience.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote