Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th May 2009, 10:59   #31
BHPian

I test drove the TSI and it is mind boggling! Amazing engine and loved the steering feedback.

The car accelerates like crazy!

I am too tempted but for horror stories of Skoda's A.S.S - I heard the A.S.S is not that bad down in south (Chennai / Bangalore)

Thanks, to Bangalore / KA's exorbitant road tax, the car is 15.7L OTR!!!
(time to double my car budget? )

Since the car was yet to receive RTO approval, it was not registered, and I had to take a small test drive around the showroom (Vinayaga Skoda, Seshadripuram, Bangalore) - The friendly sales guy said he would give me a call once the car is registered and I can take it for a longer spin. Can't wait!

Is there anyway I can buy the car in Chennai, and choose to pay one year road tax in Bangalore, since I may go back to Chennai in a year? (May be I am going OT here - Sorry)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 11:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I think the makeover mskes the Laura look more streamlined , though my photos may not convey it accurately and like the rework of the interior, especially. I was also told that beginning next year, Skoda will have it's own India based parts supplier, which will bring the cost of serviving down, supposedly. Hope everything works out for Skoda. I would definitely add this car to my "to buy" list!.
Looks like they got inspiration from Accord/Camry for the front.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 23:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The 2.0TDI PD diesel in L&K trim with 6 speed DSG costs Rs. 21.22L on road bangalore.
Thats quite a sensless pricing from the Czech's . Why would anyone want to buy one at that price ? I'd rather buy the new accord and save the rest of the money for the petrol ! .
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 12:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I test drove the TSI and it is mind boggling! Amazing engine and loved the steering feedback.

The car accelerates like crazy!

Since the car was yet to receive RTO approval, it was not registered, and I had to take a small test drive around the showroom (Vinayaga Skoda, Seshadripuram, Bangalore)
How did you manage to do all that in the showroom?!
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 12:33   #35
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
i wanted to ask the exact same thing - acceleration and steering feedback tests with mind boggling results in the showroom itself
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 15:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

1) question.
Does the laura L&K come with a sunroof? doesn't seem to be mentioned.
2) will the dealer do retro fitting of equipment ,like sunroof on an ambiente or the touch screen and retractable mirrors etc.
Obviously will be charged for it.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 08:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

i happen to see some face-lifted models in the service station. here is my take as an owner of current L&K - subjective, of course:

1. superb-like AC/ICE console, steering. looks upmarket.
2. no sunroof. very surprising.
3. new alloy design (prefer the older design with hub-caps)
4. wood trim (i guess the older titanium trim is way too subtle)
5. rear bumper with red-reflector-strip, looks sportier.
6. front: older one was just about average looking and the new one is really bad.
7. roundish ORVMs which I hope are electrically foldable!!
8. rear reading-lights are placed in the middle of the cabin and not in the usual place.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:18   #38
BHPian

Default Laura TSI test drive

I took a test drive of Laura TSI . The car was provided by JMD.
My observations:
1. Engine is a sheer delight . I took this out on the Nashik highway toll road for about 20 minutes. I have test driven or used most of the cars in this class now ; for acceleration and responsiveness , nothing came close
2. At low revs , engine stalled . This happened twice. This was reported in Overdrive test drive too. Is it to do with TSI and our fuel quality?
3. Nothing stood out in the cabin - but the rain sensing wipers seemed 'cool' .
4. Steering feedback - I thought it was not bad but not as good as the Civic
5. Handling - on the straight toll road , could not really test much . Limited to weaving lanes (with due courtesy to other drivers) at 100 to 120 seemed a pleasure - the car did not make me feel nervous at all
6. The mutifunction display showed "distance to empty" and this seemed to come down rapidly. But the sheer exhilaration at the responsiveness of the engine dulled me to this - I did not even check the consumption . Only after returning the car, and back at home , this seemed a little alarming
7. Reversing was a night mare - not used to such a small rear window and had to ask the rear passengers to lower the head rests. Never having driven Skodas, this was surprising to me.

JMD seemed like a good dealer .

Now the hard part - we all know Skoda is not the best car company when it comes to customer centricity . SHould I even consider buying this ?
Does Laura have a poor reliability record when it comes to AC, Clutch, etc..

My only alternative is Civic. i did not consider the Altis - steering feel (lack of) and body roll, I really could not ignore- otherwise a good car.

I live in Mumbai- the only trust worthy dealer seems to be JMD.

I would really like to hear from you all.... I put performance on the top of my wish list but would hate an unreliable car . The Octavia 1.8TSI reviews abroad seem to be neutral or positive about reliability. But Team-bhp reports have been scary.

Thanks in advance.
Ravich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 13:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Ravich- I say go for it. Yes Skoda service has some major drawbacks mentioned here but the product by itself is brilliant! I was in the same spot as you last month when deciding between the Accord and Superb. I had nearly closed my mind on the Skoda but one test drive and I was sold. I consider the Superb a lot better than the Accord, to some extent in comparision the Superb feels under priced. I am willing to live with slightly higher service costs as it compensates for the additional features/luxury that Superb provides.
Browsing around Skoda forums there seems to be an increase in reliabilty with the new Superb & Laura. This makes ownership less of a hassle, the only major drawback then is dealer service, which is debatable even with Honda. However JMD seems to have a sound managment but one has to keep an eye out for malpractice.
I too have booked my car from JMD, so far it's smooth sailing dealing with them.
For the price the 1.8 Laura is unbeatable, it def a big notch above the civic.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:19   #40
BHPian

india is a playground for marketing gimmics they can bring a skoda laura elegance with petrol engine too. dunno whats stoping them!!!

they should put this engine in the jetta petrol. atleast it has 6 airbags, abs, and esp if i am not wrong standard in the petrol version too. the sad part is that they have 1.6 ltr petrol with 100 hp currently doing the duty!!

Last edited by Caramelo : 2nd August 2009 at 16:21.
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:35   #41
BHPian

Sahil,
Thanks - that is comforting because I wanted to hear that ! Anything to watch out for when buying from Skoda dealers .... I guess most prudent bhpians would probably say 'dont' but I cant seem to get over the thrill of a really quick car.

What has been your experience so far?
Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Ravich- I say go for it. Yes Skoda service has some major drawbacks mentioned here but the product by itself is brilliant! I was in the same spot as you last month when deciding between the Accord and Superb. I had nearly closed my mind on the Skoda but one test drive and I was sold. I consider the Superb a lot better than the Accord, to some extent in comparision the Superb feels under priced. I am willing to live with slightly higher service costs as it compensates for the additional features/luxury that Superb provides.
Browsing around Skoda forums there seems to be an increase in reliabilty with the new Superb & Laura. This makes ownership less of a hassle, the only major drawback then is dealer service, which is debatable even with Honda. However JMD seems to have a sound managment but one has to keep an eye out for malpractice.
I too have booked my car from JMD, so far it's smooth sailing dealing with them.
For the price the 1.8 Laura is unbeatable, it def a big notch above the civic.
Ravich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 11:21   #42
NKR
BHPian

Hi all,

I am a new member to this wonderful forum...and I have just taken the delivery of a Skoda Laura TdI PD. Immediately after the delivery I set off for a pretty longish journey of about 700 KM. The car is performing and handling well. Have been careful to drive the vehicle in accordance with the instructions given in the manual for the running in period. Pretty happy with the car so far ( keeping my fingers very tightly crossed after having gone through the different kinds of stories by Skoda owners ).
NKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 12:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ravich,

I would personally go for the Civic for sheer peace of mind and don't want to be at the mercy of a Skoda dealer or extraordinary expenses on account of lack of reliabililty of parts.

However, I know exactly what you mean on the performance front and if you are willing to take the above factors into account, there is no doubt that the Laura is the superior product for sheer thrills. Not only is it much faster, it also evokes more confidence in being taken to the limit.

To each his own and like I said, I personally chose to settle for the Civic for peace of mind and at some level, unwillingness to go for a brand that is ill - treating its customers.

It is your hard earned money though so put it on whichever product will bring a wider smile on your face. :-)

All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
My observations:
1. Engine is a sheer delight . I took this out on the Nashik highway toll road for about 20 minutes. I have test driven or used most of the cars in this class now ; for acceleration and responsiveness , nothing came close
2. At low revs , engine stalled . This happened twice. This was reported in Overdrive test drive too. Is it to do with TSI and our fuel quality?
4. Steering feedback - I thought it was not bad but not as good as the Civic
5. Handling - on the straight toll road , could not really test much . Limited to weaving lanes (with due courtesy to other drivers) at 100 to 120 seemed a pleasure - the car did not make me feel nervous at all
6. The mutifunction display showed "distance to empty" and this seemed to come down rapidly. But the sheer exhilaration at the responsiveness of the engine dulled me to this - I did not even check the consumption . Only after returning the car, and back at home , this seemed a little alarming
7. Reversing was a night mare - not used to such a small rear window and had to ask the rear passengers to lower the head rests. Never having driven Skodas, this was surprising to me.

JMD seemed like a good dealer .

Now the hard part - we all know Skoda is not the best car company when it comes to customer centricity . SHould I even consider buying this ?
Does Laura have a poor reliability record when it comes to AC, Clutch, etc..

My only alternative is Civic. i did not consider the Altis - steering feel (lack of) and body roll, I really could not ignore- otherwise a good car.

I live in Mumbai- the only trust worthy dealer seems to be JMD.

I would really like to hear from you all.... I put performance on the top of my wish list but would hate an unreliable car . The Octavia 1.8TSI reviews abroad seem to be neutral or positive about reliability. But Team-bhp reports have been scary.

Thanks in advance.
Axe77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 12:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i wanted to ask the exact same thing - acceleration and steering feedback tests with mind boggling results in the showroom itself
- I should have mentioned that I took it for a drive in a3-5 km stretch around the showroom since I couldn't take it to highway - My bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
My observations:
Engine is indeed a sheer delight!

Quote:
It happened to me too! I thought I was getting bad at driving
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2009, 15:50   #45
Team-BHP Support

Can someone point me a thread on TSI engine fuel options? I tried searching, could not find any. I have a basic idea of the TSI engine, but what I did not get, was, do our petrol bunks provide RON95/RON97 grade petrol which is what Skoda prescribes for the TSI.

Even its available in a city, what about long drive options?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote