Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st September 2009, 14:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ght=superb+fsi (Problem with Skoda Superb 3.6 V6 FSI Petrol)

That thread has a big discussion on VW FSI engines in India and the fuel they require.

RON97 and 95 are available as Speed97 and Speed95 in major cities (metros only?). Although I think Speed95 has been discontinued.
ImmortalZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:09   #47
NKR
BHPian

Well..I was expecting some specific comments on my initial drive opinion.I havent seen any new posts on the Laura 2009, come to think of it, I haven't seen much of new Lauras on the road either.

Since I have just recently graduated to a bigger car in the city, I am just getting used to it's handling in heavy traffic. The car is very pleasant to drive in highways and one feels that she has a lot of reserve power up the sleeve.Good suspension too. I just got the car fitted with leather seats and door trims. The OEM beige interiors give you a luxurious feel. I went for a slight change in colour for the leather seats.The swing player is also of good quality and it supports a varirty of inputs. The mileage is pretty decent too.Overall the car handles and feels pretty stable and powerful. As I said in the last post I hope the sales and support matches up to the quality and build of the car

The dealer Gurudev motors has been good so far. The sales consultant was also positive and quite helpful. The vehicle was delivered on time along with the set of ty regn papers and cover note. I had to pay an additional sum on account of price increase. I also got a call after a week(from the sales dept) enquiring about the deliver experience etc.
NKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
the yellow VRS looks Delicious!! Im sure the Vrs body kit for the laura will sell like hot cakes.
Call it personal choice, but the octavia RS with the straight lines and less blindspots, is the ideal. My companys COO drives it personally, rest are for the drivers. Had an interesting story, had a client meeting in Pune, my CEO was going to be present for it. dont know what went with him, he decided to drive down himself car minus his driver. His smirk gave me a hint of what he was upto. Yes, the front seats are the best. The expressway, the RS and mozart all the way, an experience i'll never forget. The presence, xenon, fatter tyres, and that power surge. im willing to live with sub 8 kmpl.

PS- God Give my COOs salary and a sparingly Octavia RS
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 20:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Laura 1.8TSI Test Drive - accelration worse than 1.8TPI ???

Just took a TD of the 1.8TSI Laura.
I have always been impressed with the 1.8TPI Octavia - for it's "push back" accelration and solid grip.

With all the reviews from team-bhp and and autocarindia about the 1.8TSI, I was expecting this engine to be better than the 1.8TPI Octy.

However, the 1.8TSI did not feel any faster, in fact low end torque seemed less, the engine stalled many times when pulling away from idle. The "push back in the seat" accelration that I always felt in the 1.8TPI was absent. Also, 80kmpl to 130kmpl (in gear accelration in the 5'th) was slower (as felt, not measured).

What's happening guys? Any idea?
It was really disappointing.

P.S. The 1.8 TSI is super silent though. Also, the suspension and brakes are amazing. The On board computer showed 9kmpl during the TD which was on mixed roads - the 1.8PTI Octy showed ~7 kmpl on the same stretch but not sure if this is an improvement due to direct injection, vvt, etc or simply a side effect of lower low end torque

Last edited by anandpadhye : 29th November 2009 at 20:39.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 22:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.Great car for affordable people.Please take care and enjoy the drive.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 16:50   #51
BHPian

IMO Laura 1.8TSI is better buy over the Civic as it has no problem of ground clearance when loaded by five people with luggage, and now it comes with just Rs.12.49 lakhs ex-showroom price.
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 11:51   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The "push back in the seat" accelration that I always felt in the 1.8TPI was absent.
Market feedback, that's whats happening. Power delivery is more subdued (though quick) and linear. Plus, the car is now heavier & safer.

The Octavia vRS is always on the edge, a cowboy. The Laura 1.8, on the other hand, is a gentleman.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 12:45   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

@anandpadhye: You observations are correct for the most part. I haven't driven the Laura 1.8 but do have the Superb 1.8 and it shares the same engine. It is super smooth and power is delivered very gently. The car does not have the push back in seat feel as it is uncomfortable for passengers. Only the driver enjoys it
Torque, yes could have been tweaked to be little more but that again would result in push back in seat feel and works against the objective they are trying to get at. It is not a driver's car although it is quick and handles well, the back seat is there the party is at
Fortunately the superb does not have the stalling problem thanks to the DSG
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 14:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
IMO Laura 1.8TSI is better buy over the Civic as it has no problem of ground clearance when loaded by five people with luggage, and now it comes with just Rs.12.49 lakhs ex-showroom price.
Yes, what you said is right, but you won't get piece of mind with Laura.
The design & cockpit style interiors are boon for civic.

Honda supposed to be the best A.S.S.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Market feedback, that's whats happening. Power delivery is more subdued (though quick) and linear. Plus, the car is now heavier & safer.

The Octavia vRS is always on the edge, a cowboy. The Laura 1.8, on the other hand, is a gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@anandpadhye: You observations are correct for the most part. I haven't driven the Laura 1.8 but do have the Superb 1.8 and it shares the same engine. It is super smooth and power is delivered very gently. The car does not have the push back in seat feel as it is uncomfortable for passengers. Only the driver enjoys it
Torque, yes could have been tweaked to be little more but that again would result in push back in seat feel and works against the objective they are trying to get at. It is not a driver's car although it is quick and handles well, the back seat is there the party is at
Hmm...
So which driver's car are we left with under ~15 lacks?
And the stalling problem is surely a disappointment...with sales rep constantly adding insult to injury - "Sir, you are in 3rd, please first mein chaloo karo..." and everytime I was furious - "boss, it's in first. It still stalls".
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:48   #56
Team-BHP Support

I would prefer a lesser loaded and basic Laura after hearing horror stories of electronics stuff failing such as power seats, Climate control etc. And without all this equipment it comes for a lucrative price.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The car does not have the push back in seat feel as it is uncomfortable for passengers. Only the driver enjoys it
hey watsup sahil, dude put speed97 in your car, u will not believe the difference but give it atleast couple of litres of fuel to notice the difference as the ecu is moderen & has already detuned ur superb engine for 91 octane fuel, u are not getting all of the 160 horses trust me, give speed97 a try with atleast one full tank
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 10:49   #58
Team-BHP Support

My vRS sandwiched between two new Laura's today in traffic. I turned right and found myself staring at the door handles. It struck me that they have really jacked up the car. My roof nearly lines up with their headrestraints.

No wonder the Laura looks odd and old after the restyle. I felt the Laura vRS looked hot in the UK since it has lowered suspension.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 14:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My vRS sandwiched between two new Laura's today in traffic. I turned right and found myself staring at the door handles. It struck me that they have really jacked up the car. My roof nearly lines up with their headrestraints.

No wonder the Laura looks odd and old after the restyle. I felt the Laura vRS looked hot in the UK since it has lowered suspension.
I agree.
The Octavia 2 is bulky. The original Octavia is the best looking sedan in my life...

But I finally booked Laura Tsi...with VVT, direct injection, etc it's supposed to be better than the vRS (purely on engine front)....now I will find out myself
Old 9th February 2010, 15:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

i agree with you, the new lauras are jacked up..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote