Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th February 2010, 19:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

This steering issue looks like attached to certain specific batches of production. I am sure there are plenty of members having no issues with the steering till date, so as mine. Talking about the vibration, I felt it when it crossed 140 kmph on highway, but was not a troubling feel. Never ever got that vibration in the city within the speeds of 100 kmph regardless of the road-condition.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 23:58   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The problem initially was due to the 'tak tak' noise as reported by Frank in his other thread. I had taken it to Bangalore (Metro Ford) to be checked since they had maintained my previous car Ikon to perfection.

The steering rack & the column was replaced under warranty and I had to leave it in Bangalore since it was taking more time in aquiring the parts. That is when I had to borrow my friend's car to be back in Chennai and this unfortunate thing happened. I couldnt see my car for the past 3 months and finally got it home by this weekend.

Now the issues are different, with the vibration I feel while braking and also the vibration while I am doing slow speeds! The steering feels a lot tight as well. The noise however been there!
You mean to say your new steering setup is a lot tighter than the previous one? Frank has said in his thread that new setup is lifeless and not as good as old one. Would like to know your feedback on it as our Fiesta steering column was replaced today. I would like to revert back to old one, if the new one does not give the same feeling as the old one.

Last edited by rajivn : 24th February 2010 at 23:59.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 11:58   #93
Senior - BHPian

Its a lot tighter and there is too much vibration (rather too much play) in the steering while driving normal speeds!

I also want to see if wheel balancing might be the issue here and I would be getting it checked today!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 14:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
This steering issue looks like attached to certain specific batches of production.
I am fairly certain it's there in every Fiesta. Maybe it's more obvious in some cars than others. But, with your sub on and thumping away, I doubt if you would be able to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
You mean to say your new steering setup is a lot tighter than the previous one? Frank has said in his thread that new setup is lifeless and not as good as old one. Would like to know your feedback on it as our Fiesta steering column was replaced today. I would like to revert back to old one, if the new one does not give the same feeling as the old one.
rajiv, did you change the steering column because of the 'clunk' sound?

Last edited by Gilead : 25th February 2010 at 14:22.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 14:43   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
rajiv, did you change the steering column because of the 'clunk' sound?
Gilead, Car has clocked 10,500km so far mostly driven by dad and driver. They have not experienced any such sounds or vibrations.

Car was dropped for 2nd service station yesterday. Later in the day, they called my Dad and said theres fluid leak in steering column and we would advise to change the entire setup and it would be done free of cost. Dad being busy and unaware of steering column issues here, said fine go ahead. I got to know only later in the evening and I instantly knew what Ford was upto here under the pretext of steering fluid leak.

Car will be picked up in awhile. I am kinda confused as to whether I should ask service folks to replace the new steering rack setup with old one or may be try out the new one for a day or two. But going by Franks feedback on it, I am apprehensive if the new setup will be devoid of feeling and not as good as old one. Fiestians here do advice as to what I should be doing.

I am upset, such critical things are being tampered in a otherwise perfect car.

Last edited by rajivn : 25th February 2010 at 14:46.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car will be picked up in awhile. I am kinda confused as to whether I should ask service folks to replace the new steering rack setup with old one or may be try out the new one for a day or two. But going by Franks feedback on it, I am apprehensive if the new setup will be devoid of feeling and not as good as old one. Fiestians here do advice as to what I should be doing.

I am upset, such critical things are being tampered in a otherwise perfect car.
Ford is definitely not replacing the steering column either proactively or on the sly. It could be a genuine fluid leak in your case. Your problem only arises if the new column is from the 'lifeless' batch that frank experienced. Drive it first and see. If that old feeling is gone, then raise hell and get that old column back, sound or no sound. make this clear to them before taking delivery. Take it for a TD along with the SA.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

So this steering rack problem is a widespread issue among the recent Fiestas! *sigh*

@ Rajiv, where did you leave your car for the 2nd service?
Old 25th February 2010, 14:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, with your sub on and thumping away, I doubt if you would be able to hear it.
No buddy, I have switched off the system many times to check every possible body and engine noise, specially when I drive through very bad potholed roads. So far I am lucky !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 14:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this steering rack problem is a widespread issue among the recent Fiestas! *sigh*

The 'clunk' sound when hitting potholes at certain angles and speeds is present in virtually all Fiestas. But there are no vibrations or tightness or anything of that sort.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

First service on my car was done on 31st December 2009.
I didnt have any complaint on the car. The workshop did the usual service and
returned the car. After the service I drove to chennai and back (1500kms).

This steering rack problem something new (first complaint was from @frankmehta)
and now another two cars?

@Rajiv - when your car was handed over for service, did your father or the driver lodged any complaint on the steering problem? Without any complaint why the service people attend and change the steering rack etc? Are they testing the new steering rack with the existing customers???
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 15:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
This steering rack problem something new (first complaint was from @frankmehta)
and now another two cars?
It has been reported by several people here starting from early 2006 batches to mine made in Sep 2009. Like I said, it's probably more apparent in some cases than in others. Ford is definitely aware of this issue but they won't talk to you unless you pester them. And then their solution is to provide you with a lifeless steering with the sound STILL in it, like in Frank's case.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has been reported by several people here starting from early 2006 batches to mine made in Sep 2009.
I guess you meant early 2009??
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 15:21   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Ford is definitely not replacing the steering column either proactively or on the sly. It could be a genuine fluid leak in your case. Your problem only arises if the new column is from the 'lifeless' batch that frank experienced. Drive it first and see. If that old feeling is gone, then raise hell and get that old column back, sound or no sound. make this clear to them before taking delivery. Take it for a TD along with the SA.
I just got to speak with Service Advisor as Dad had gone to service station to pickup the car. Service Advisor said there was a fluid leak and we changed the rack assembly as per Fords instructions. He did not admit that this problem exists with recent batch of Fiestas. All he said was, we noticed a problem and decided to rectify it under warranty. I told him that lot of recent Fiestas are having this problem and I also heard that new setup is not good. He promised me new assembly is as good as old, and asked me to get in touch with Ford customer care for further details or clarifications and gave me their email id - custmail@ford.com. He assured me that there will be no difference in performance or feeling as such.

I told him firmly that we will test drive for 3 days and get back him to on this. HE said perfectly fine sir, do let us know. Thats where it stands now.

Quote:

Chennai Ford, Arumbakkam.

@Nairrk - Just noticed your queries. We did not complain of anything. They called my Dad after few hours of dropping the car in the service station and said we noticed a problem and we would like to fix it. Service Advisor told me (spoke to him just few mins back) replacement is being done if they notice a problem. But I believe they are doing it for certain batches as and when the car is dropped for service or if there is a complaint. We gotta mail Ford on this for more details.

Last edited by rajivn : 25th February 2010 at 15:29.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:31   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I guess you meant early 2009??
suman, 2006. One TBHP case. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1742405 (frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10)
My colleague with a 2006 model also has it.

Quote:
Chennai Ford, Arumbakkam.
Ack! I go there too. The leak story sounds fishy now. The S has a different steering column. Wonder what their plans are for that.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from Ford Customer care and they had SM from MPL Ford, Saligramam on a conference call.

They wanted my car to be taken to the Saligramam workshop for a check up. But, my bad experience with the Saligramam MPL Ford will deserve a new thread here! They stole so many stuff from my previous car.

I will be taking my car to Chennai Ford tomorrow for one last time and if the steering rack issue is not getting resolved its going to be adieu for my Fiesta & Ford family!