Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th February 2010, 23:44   #121
BHPian

Just took the car for short spin after the steering rack assembly change today morning. I concur with Anachronix. Its lot tighter now. Is it a good or bad thing?

About the steering feedback, I did not see much of difference between old and new in the short drive. I am not an expert and was not able to gauge the finest information that the steering provides to the driver. I took it to speeds of 120kmph and thats when I felt the steering little lighter. But not sure if the old one also felt the same way. So cannot comment on it.

I guess I should drive 1.6 S or Gilead or someone here should drive mine to tell me the difference.

@Anachronix - Do update here after correcting your steering rack problem on how it feels incomparison to the old setup.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:31   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Just took the car for short spin after the steering rack assembly change today morning. I concur with Anachronix. Its lot tighter now. Is it a good or bad thing?

About the steering feedback, I did not see much of difference between old and new in the short drive. I am not an expert and was not able to gauge the finest information that the steering provides to the driver. I took it to speeds of 120kmph and thats when I felt the steering little lighter. But not sure if the old one also felt the same way. So cannot comment on it.

I guess I should drive 1.6 S or Gilead or someone here should drive mine to tell me the difference.

@Anachronix - Do update here after correcting your steering rack problem on how it feels incomparison to the old setup.
rajiv, the new rack will feel a little tight but it should ease out. If you can't find much of a difference in steering feel, then you are good. You are the best judge since you have driven both. The 1.6S has a different steering rack because of the larger wheels and tires so the feel could be different. My steering is not tight, but it is definitely 'heavy' and feels fantastic. If you live close to CF's arumbakkam workshop, maybe I can drive your car on a weekend and see.

Anachronix, what happened to your steering?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

I had taken my car to CF last friday and did an extensive test drive.

From the workshop to the interiors of shanty colony and then towards the bypass road from Vanagaram to Tambaram.

Following were my observations!

1. My car had an erratic wheel alignment done when the steering rack was replaced by Metro Ford. The vehicle was then used with this problem for a longer time (3 months) and this had caused uneven tread wear on the front wheels. The doubt was around the tire with the uneven tread pattern and wheel alignment would only cause more trouble before I change the tires.

2. The steering feel is a lot tighter as agreed by the CF test driver as well. Planning to check this only after the tires are upgraded.

3. There is grinding noise coming from the front brake discs. Planning to check this as well after the tire upgrade.

The only solution I had in mind was to upgrade the tires and then take it for a check up. I have ordered the CPC2 and awaiting delivery during the 2nd week of March.

I will be taking my car to CF after I upgrade the tires for another detailed check up!

@Gilead - I came a bit late to CF on Friday and I couldn't call you!

@Rajiv - I have the same tight feeling in my car. But, I will be getting it checked only after I upgrade my tires. It might be due to the new rack and column assembly as well!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:49   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
1. My car had an erratic wheel alignment done when the steering rack was replaced by Metro Ford. The vehicle was then used with this problem for a longer time (3 months) and this had caused uneven tread wear on the front wheels. The doubt was around the tire with the uneven tread pattern and wheel alignment would only cause more trouble before I change the tires.
Good to know they were able to arrive at a root cause. I thought they would simply put in a new column since it's in warranty.

Quote:
I have ordered the CPC2 and awaiting delivery during the 2nd week of March.
These tires have a waiting period?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:37   #125
Senior - BHPian

^ Nop! I don't think so. Its just the spec that's causing the delay!
Old 16th July 2010, 11:31   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Part of the fiesta club now, i'm a "me-too"!!!!
back to the topic, however, just wanted to know if the steering fluid is supposed to be drained?
I for one believe that there should be a DIY possibility of draining each and every fluid that has to be replaced in ANY car!!
I mean, why not?

As for the Steering fluid, which one would people suggest here?

Ps: I was trying to get it done from a mechanic here in delhi(Not a.s.s for anybody).
Takes care of german cars,skoda's, etc.so i assumed presence of "knowledge".He said that fluid quantity is low, and that i should top-up.
told me to wait, and came with half a 500ml bottle of AT fluid!!!!!
i was like, huh???
said this is what is put in all the cars he services.well, seems to know better than the multi-billion $ R&D carried out by oil cos!!!!
No thanks, sir!!
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 12:44   #127
Senior - BHPian

Steering fluid to be drained from the car? What is the problem with your steering?
may be that mechanic trying to sell bottles and bottles of fluid so that he may get some good commission??
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 13:41   #128
Senior - BHPian

@nairrk :no no, what i meant is, when I replace essential lubes/fluids in the car, i would much prefer that all of it is brand new, not mixed up with with the old one.much like engine oil,which has the option of an engine flush as well.something along those lines.In 10 years of seeing various engine bays being opened for "corrective" procedures(read repairs and service), i have been constantly surprised by, and curiously proud of, the will and tenacity of the grime/dirt/dust in delhi!!

and, hey, googlemata has just informed me that AT fluid/steering fluid are esentially the same, and that its a worldwide practice to use them interchangeably....but somehow that just does not sit well,does it?
i would much prefer for the label to match the part its suposed to assist.
I mean, i for one wouldnt go out for rajender's roasted chicken, and decide that i'll have roast-soya-on-ice-cream-stick(probably not its name, but thats what it looks like,no?), just because it has the same amount of protein,eh?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 01:09   #129
BHPian

Default Re: Black Ford Fiesta 1.6s

The steering column in my Fiesta S was replaced 2 days ago after i reported a pull in the steering towards one side and also some heaviness in the steering.
But now the steering seems to be too heavy and somehow the feel is totally different. Im forced to put in more effort to manoeuvre the car in city traffic.
Pls let me know what is the solution to this issue.
SRK72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 12:56   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post

Quote:
I had taken my car to CF last friday and did an extensive test drive.

From the workshop to the interiors of shanty colony and then towards the bypass road from Vanagaram to Tambaram.

Following were my observations!

2. The steering feel is a lot tighter as agreed by the CF test driver as well. Planning to check this only after the tires are upgraded.

3. There is grinding noise coming from the front brake discs. Planning to check this as well after the tire upgrade.

The only solution I had in mind was to upgrade the tires and then take it for a check up. I have ordered the CPC2 and awaiting delivery during the 2nd week of March.

I will be taking my car to CF after I upgrade the tires for another detailed check up!

@Gilead - I came a bit late to CF on Friday and I couldn't call you!

@Rajiv - I have the same tight feeling in my car. But, I will be getting it checked only after I upgrade my tires. It might be due to the new rack and column assembly as well!
Hi Rajiv and Anachronix, was the problem resolved. Pls update status, it might help me.
Old 13th October 2013, 13:14   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK72 View Post
Hi Rajiv and Anachronix, was the problem resolved. Pls update status, it might help me.
I have not experienced any steering related problem post that fix 3 years back.
rajivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 13:27   #132
Senior - BHPian

The steering rack was replaced back then and the steering was OK after that.

Can you give more details about the issue you have?

Why was the steering column replaced to fix left pulling issue, did they find anything faulty with the column after it was removed?

Did you check the suspension parts, the track rod or the lower arms?

How old are the tyres and what's the PSI you run on the tyres?

Quote:

Old 13th October 2013, 14:27   #133
BHPian

Quote:
The steering rack was replaced back then and the steering was OK after that.

Can you give more details about the issue you have?

Why was the steering column replaced to fix left pulling issue, did they find anything faulty with the column after it was removed?

Did you check the suspension parts, the track rod or the lower arms?

How old are the tyres and what's the PSI you run on the tyres?
The steering felt heavy, and there was a slight pull of the steering towards the left. I had reported the problem to Ford A.S.S, who said the tyres need to be replaced since they had uneven wear and had run close to 40K. However the issue persisted even after replacing the old ones with Yoko S drive 195/55/15. The tyres have completed 10K and i maintain 31PSI both front and rear.
Since the problem was not resolved after repeated visits, i escalated this to Ford India. Now the A.S.S has replaced the steering column (car is under extended warranty) saying there was some issue in it. Not aware of what exactly they found wrong with the old steering.
The new steering setup seems to too heavy and lacks the feel of the original. Im in a dilemma as to whether i should ask the A.S.S to replace the old steering or if i need to wait for few more days to see if the new one shows improvement.
Old 13th October 2013, 15:19   #134
Senior - BHPian

I think they should have started with diagnosing the uneven wear before they asked you to replace the tyres.

How is the tread wear on the new set of S-Drives?

Which Ford A.S.S do you take your car to?

Quote:

The steering felt heavy, and there was a slight pull of the steering towards the left. I had reported the problem to Ford A.S.S, who said the tyres need to be replaced since they had uneven wear and had run close to 40K. However the issue persisted even after replacing the old ones with Yoko S drive 195/55/15. The tyres have completed 10K and i maintain 31PSI both front and rear.
Since the problem was not resolved after repeated visits, i escalated this to Ford India. Now the A.S.S has replaced the steering column (car is under extended warranty) saying there was some issue in it. Not aware of what exactly they found wrong with the old steering.
The new steering setup seems to too heavy and lacks the feel of the original. Im in a dilemma as to whether i should ask the A.S.S to replace the old steering or if i need to wait for few more days to see if the new one shows improvement.
Old 13th October 2013, 16:57   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I think they should have started with diagnosing the uneven wear before they asked you to replace the tyres.

How is the tread wear on the new set of S-Drives?

Which Ford A.S.S do you take your car to?
The A.S.S informed me that the new set of S-Drives have also started showing uneven wear.
The car is attended by Chennai Ford Ambattur right from beginning, and my opinion based on 4 years experience is that they dont seem to diagnose the problem effectively. Things are taken seriously only after escalation, and still unsure if they have the expertise to resolve it.