Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 11:51   #421
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
like interiors (still 20 year old sliding controls etc)...
There goes all objectivity out the window! If you didnt like the interiors of Jazz (just noticed the sliding controls)... than its very hard for you to like anything about this car, period.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:32   #422
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

awesome review, but can some one please explain to me, what is a "dead pedal"? thanks.
anuj1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:49   #423
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerala
Posts: 627
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
There goes all objectivity out the window! If you didnt like the interiors of Jazz (just noticed the sliding controls)... than its very hard for you to like anything about this car, period.
Isn't he entitled to his views?

Also opinions about looks and even finish (ask people who work with interiors how difficult its to get it right) are quite subjective. There is nothing objective about perceptions. If one considers a brand reliable its pure perception there. There might be some substance, but it cannot be substantiated 100%. I mean, to that fellow BHpian whose Civic turned out a lemon, Honda is just an unreliable brand. But perhaps for somebody else whose Civic was faultlessly reliable Honda is reliable. Who is wrong here dear?

As for me I still find the Fabia interiors vastly better. (Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm )

Last edited by Trapezio : 16th June 2009 at 12:51.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:56   #424
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 508
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Isn't he entitled to his views?

Also opinions about looks and even finish (ask people who work with interiors how difficult its to get it right) are quite subjective. There is nothing objective about perceptions. If one considers a brand reliable its pure perception there. There might be some substance, but it cannot be substantiated 100%. I mean to that fellow BHpian whose Civic turned out a lemon Honda is just an unreliable brand. But perhaps for somebody else whose Civic was faultlessly reliable Honda is reliable. Who is wrong here dear?
I agree with looks being subjective. But reliability is not completely relative perception. The number of lemons (bad product) that a particular brand delivers determine reliability. In case of Honda, Toyata, the percentage is very, very small. Hence they are far more reliable as compared to say Skoda or Fiat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
As for me I still find the Fabia interiors vastly better. (Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm )
I agree that looks are subjective, Jazz interiors are way too good looking. I am really sold on Jazz interiors but would not consider it given it's grossly overpriced. Much better than city itself. Haven't seen Fabia though, Skoda is simply not even considered by me after reading many user experiences here.
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 13:29   #425
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
The number of lemons (bad product) that a particular brand delivers determine reliability.
You got it wrong!
Reliability has nothing to do with lemons!

Reliability is the number of defects or problems in a vehicle over a period of time!
Undoubtly, Jap cars score more on Reliability than Euro or American cars.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 13:40   #426
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 508
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
You got it wrong!
Reliability has nothing to do with lemons!

Reliability is the number of defects or problems in a vehicle over a period of time!
Undoubtly, Jap cars score more on Reliability than Euro or American cars.
Accepted - nothing to disagree. I just gave one aspect of reliability based on the poster comments.
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 13:57   #427
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

I had a look at Jazz today when I went to the workshop to get some ANHC issues fixed. Some observations:
  1. I did not find the quality (fit and finish) of the plastics on the dash to be better then ANHC. It appears to be the same grade of plastics but the colour shades are different and the textures are more 'appealing'
  2. Rear seat is nowhere as comfortable as in ANHC. Seat base is short and it doesn't have the slope towards the hip point. Same with the backrest, the recline angle is lesser making it more upright position. Rear leg space also looked to be lesser.
  3. A pillar creates a serious blind spot
  4. Sustantial boot
  5. Airy cabin
In terms of styling charector, it is young and somewhat feminine. I think many ladies would be opting for this car.

Dealer said the response is not good. They have managed to deliver 3 cars but many are canceling the bookings!

Last edited by Guna : 16th June 2009 at 13:59.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:07   #428
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 109
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1237 View Post
awesome review, but can some one please explain to me, what is a "dead pedal"? thanks.
It's a sloping foot rest next to the cluth pedal. Very useful to rest your left foot while driving on the highways. Takes the strain off the highway driving.
nitindangoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:10   #429
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerala
Posts: 627
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
I agree with looks being subjective. But reliability is not completely relative perception. The number of lemons (bad product) that a particular brand delivers determine reliability. In case of Honda, Toyata, the percentage is very, very small. Hence they are far more reliable as compared to say Skoda or Fiat.

Dear Manish... Very good point. But.. Who verified this so called lemons (or say the defects if you defined it so)?

None. Its just word-to-mouth kind of thing. Thats precisely what I mean by perception. Unless supported by solid facts its just perception. Ofcourse there are some odds that the perception is near the fact somewhere. But we will never know sure how unreliable a brand is.

Just to give you an idea... I work in the auto industry. Do you know that one particular brand was rumoured to rent cars of the opposite brand and park it in busy areas with the bonnets open. Now how about the accuracy of perceptions based on what we see? Its not as simple as we often approach it. In fact there are no 'saints' in this industry.

In simple word we might be able to make some broad conclusions... But its almost impossible to make conclusions about reliability of a brand in India.

I rest my case here. I think I have said what needs to be said.

Mods: Can you remove the previous duplicate entry?

Last edited by Trapezio : 16th June 2009 at 14:14.
Trapezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:32   #430
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default

Wonderful review and great pics! I am not at all surprised by the outrageous pricing of Honda - they have always done it in India. Being a Honda user myself this is all too familiar. The only good thing is, the quality aspect would be satisfactory despite their miserly attitude on the features.
I am amazed at the amount of space they have managed to carve out by clever engineering - huge boot etc.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 17:31   #431
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
There goes all objectivity out the window! If you didnt like the interiors of Jazz (just noticed the sliding controls)... than its very hard for you to like anything about this car, period.
Ok probably I wasnt clear enough about what I wanted to say. It was just a reaction to somebody's suggestion that the expected price was more like 12 lakhs (the price of a Civic in India). I would be interested in a hatch for that price only if it can match Civic interiors. Jazz woefully falls short unfortunately. There is nothing new or exciting about it (unlike Civic).

And its not just about slide controls. The music player facade looks toyish (at least in looks) How about providing a 6 or 7 inch touch panel based music player in a 8 lakh rupee small car (now that would be premium isint it? ) How about a parking assist (its there in Fabia). How about a nice auto aircon (again its there even in a Swift). I might have missed it if Jazz has a cooled glove box. Well theres a long wishlist there is for a premium car 'must-haves' but then Jazz is supposed to be premium ( or the premium thing about the car has to be only the price? )

Really I am too serious-minded to buy this car
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 17:38   #432
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
There goes all objectivity out the window! If you didnt like the interiors of Jazz (just noticed the sliding controls)... than its very hard for you to like anything about this car, period.
I agree with you. Interiors and space management are the only things I like about this car.

I am in the market for a car and I certainly would not even be considering this car, owing to the price. If it had the 1.5 iVtec that the present City has at this same price point, it would have been a deal, alloys or no alloys.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 18:11   #433
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Ok probably I wasnt clear enough about what I wanted to say. It was just a reaction to somebody's suggestion that the expected price was more like 12 lakhs (the price of a Civic in India). I would be interested in a hatch for that price only if it can match Civic interiors. Jazz woefully falls short unfortunately. There is nothing new or exciting about it (unlike Civic).

And its not just about slide controls. The music player facade looks toyish (at least in looks) How about providing a 6 or 7 inch touch panel based music player in a 8 lakh rupee small car (now that would be premium isint it? ) How about a parking assist (its there in Fabia). How about a nice auto aircon (again its there even in a Swift). I might have missed it if Jazz has a cooled glove box. Well theres a long wishlist there is for a premium car 'must-haves' but then Jazz is supposed to be premium ( or the premium thing about the car has to be only the price? )

Really I am too serious-minded to buy this car
NO Auto Aircon
NO Alloy Wheels
NO Park Assist
NO USB support
NO Electrically Foldable ORVM's a la the cheapskate i20
NO Cooled Glovebox like i20 and Fabia
NO Side & Curtain Airbags like the i20
NO option of Front Armrest like the Fabia
NO Fog Lamps
NO Sun roof option like the i10 lower segment junk driven by the Middle class
NO Automatic Variant till now like the i10 (why am i **Honda** getting compared with the lowly i10)

BUT i got something no one has... 10 Cup Holders... and 'Magic' seats.

Seriously, if it were one touch electrically foldable Magic Seats, then it would be called premium. I don't see anything premium about this car. I saw the car personally yesterday at Linkway Honda, Chandivli, was good, i liked it i admit, but DEFINITELY not worth the price and its GROSSLY under equipped to the hilt for the moolah they're charging.

But conversely... I went with a friend of mine and his words were "My next car is definitely going to be a Honda". I asked him why? He said Status Symbol hai.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 23:08   #434
BHPian
 
roms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 640
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj1237 View Post
awesome review, but can some one please explain to me, what is a "dead pedal"? thanks.
'Dead pedal' is nothing but a foot rest that is made available on the left hand side of the clutch pedal, so that you can rest your left foot on it for longish drives or even otherwise. In the absence of this foot rest, one tends to rest the foot on the clutch pedal itself, thereby causing premature failure of the clutch. So the benefit is two-fold. Its just called a 'dead pedal' because it is shaped like a pedal. Very few manufacturers were providing this foot rest or 'dead pedal' earlier, Palio was one car in the hatch category that had a dead pedal from day one. Nowadays though, its almost expected that every manufacturer should provide this basic but important feature in every car.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 02:29   #435
Newbie
 
Kashish Gupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks for the review GTO. I wanted to buy a premium hatch, but Honda's pricing has made me not even consider the Jazz. I wonder why even after 77% localisation, a shared platform with the ANHC and so little features - does it cost so much? But somehow, I still think it will sell in good numbers.

Well then, I guess its waiting for the VW Polo 1.2 TSi for me...
Kashish Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen) JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 1642 8th July 2015 14:03
Honda issues recall for faulty power window switch on 2nd-Gen City Achyuth Vaibhav The Indian Car Scene 13 3rd July 2013 09:46
Honda to raise car prices, and Jazz launch soon. EDIT : Jazz spotted testing on pg.14 GeekSrik The Indian Car Scene 463 9th March 2010 11:17
Honda/Toyota cars considered very boring by 2nd Gen NRI kids? pgsagar The International Automotive Scene 23 6th February 2010 21:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:11.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks