Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th July 2009, 19:45   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
It shoudn't happen, please refer to this post and amogh it's from the handbook so you can show it to them if you need 2
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1382207
Thanks a ton Sukrit !!! You made my day.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 19:50   #257
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note, I see that the title of the thread is emotion pack
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 19:56   #258
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
On a lighter note, I see that the title of the thread is emotion pack
But, it has turned out to be "Emotion Packed" for Amol
donzerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 21:10   #259
Senior - BHPian

To me it looks like surface rust only... but even otherwise if the dealer and the company themselves are acknowledging the same are offering free replacement or other car I dont think you should be be crying hoarse and spamming every other Punto thread with link backs. I can perfectly understand your frustration level and that it stems from the fact that the delivery was delayed, showroom people made excuses and even misinformed you at times and mostly, you wanted the car asap.
The surface rust would be there on every exposed iron piece but it doesnt means that it would stay there once removed or eat away the metal. How am I so sure you may ask? Well look at the color of the rust... its orange instead of dark brown which means eaten away metal.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 13th July 2009 at 21:14.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 21:25   #260
BHPian

It is shocking to see that some members are actually saying "this happens with every manufacturer" and defending the incident. It is better for the thread starter to decide if cancelling his booking would buy piece of mind instead. After all, it would be him who would go through the nightmares if this would lead to long term problems.

It is even more shocking for many (like me) would have never thought it is required to inspect the under body of a brand new car during PDI.
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 21:25   #261
BHPian

@extreme_torque : I request you to be a little polite in your communication.

Check post#243 in this thread. I have clearly mentioned some parts were COMPLETELY RUSTED
Old 13th July 2009, 22:40   #262
BHPian

enought of ot guys

well amogh no one can guide u in this aspect as u have to live with the car.discuss with your family if u are satisfied with a replacement vehicle then well and good otherwise cancel the booking unless you are too smitten by the italian beauty
rupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 22:52   #263
Senior - BHPian

Amogh, I know you must be quite disappointed, first you had to wait due to the RTO issue and then this rusty thing discovered in your PDI.
I guess you should treat this rust issue as a isolated case, since other BHpians who have taken the delivery of G Punto didn't find the same in their cars.

Anyway, since the dealer has offered you another new peice, I guess you can accept that offer.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 23:11   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Amogh, I know you must be quite disappointed, first you had to wait due to the RTO issue and then this rusty thing discovered in your PDI.
I guess you should treat this rust issue as a isolated case, since other BHpians who have taken the delivery of G Punto didn't find the same in their cars.

Anyway, since the dealer has offered you another new peice, I guess you can accept that offer.
Not an isolated case really. Another buyer with me had the exact same issue. And yeah : I have accepted the offer for a new car.

And as I have written earlier, only rusting was not my issue. It was a total failure of Quality Assurance. Following is an excerpt from the car's User Manual :

"Body and underbody warranty"
Your car is covered by warranty against perforation due to rust of any original element of the structure or body"

...fiat implemented the best manufacturing technologies to effectively protect the bodywork against corrosion.
"spraying the underbody,engine compartment, wheelhouse internal parts and other parts with highly protective wax products"

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 13th July 2009 at 23:13. Reason: missed some text
Old 13th July 2009, 23:58   #265
BHPian

I think that the rust formation was a one off case; check out other car dealerships (fiats, fords, hyundai etc) and convince yourself before you take the next decision. Don't rush.
supremoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 00:27   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
@extreme_torque : I request you to be a little polite in your communication.

Check post#243 in this thread. I have clearly mentioned some parts were COMPLETELY RUSTED
I have seen amogh's posts and pics and read ET's post. I agree with ET that it seems to be some marks left by water - at worst surface rust caused by water. If any part is totally corroded or completely rusted - it would be powdery or at least riddled with holes - 'perforated'. Orange coloured water spots are IMHO not the same as "completely rusted".

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Not an isolated case really. Another buyer with me had the exact same issue. And yeah : I have accepted the offer for a new car.

And as I have written earlier, only rusting was not my issue. It was a total failure of Quality Assurance. Following is an excerpt from the car's User Manual :

"Body and underbody warranty"
Your car is covered by warranty against perforation due to rust of any original element of the structure or body"

...fiat implemented the best manufacturing technologies to effectively protect the bodywork against corrosion.
"spraying the underbody,engine compartment, wheelhouse internal parts and other parts with highly protective wax products"
If the manufacturer is giving a warranty, they better stand by it. In this case there is a specific warranty against perforation due to rust/corrosion. if the car rusts in the given time frame - the manufacturer has to make good the loss and that would be good enough for me.

However, if a customer is not sure about the standards of quality maintained by a manufacturer it is best to dump that manufacturer and move on. I would suggest that Amogh forget about buying a Fiat as he obviously has no confidence in Fiat's abilities, systems etc.

Down the ages, it has always been a very special relationship between man (and woman) and his (her) steed. This relationship is based to a great extent on ability and trust in that ability. If that trust is missing, it does not auger well for the relationship. Amogh will never be able to enjoy the ride, or the handling, or the power, or anything else if he forever has a niggling doubt in his mind that the underside of his car is corroded and about to give way leaving him flat on his back on the road.

Cheers,

P.S.: Before anyone jumps down my throat and accuses me of bashing any brand, let me state that I have always had the highest level of trust in the ability of each of my cars.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 10:07   #267
BHPian

Amogh, I think you should cancel your booking and go for the I20. Even if you have the slightest doubt in your mind, you will not be able to enjoy the car.
Palio_2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 10:12   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I have seen amogh's posts and pics and read ET's post. I agree with ET that it seems to be some marks left by water - at worst surface rust caused by water. If any part is totally corroded or completely rusted - it would be powdery or at least riddled with holes - 'perforated'. Orange coloured water spots are IMHO not the same as "completely rusted".
Hey Ravveendrra

The problem is, I had a cell phone camera with me and I was not able to take pictures of the "completely rusted" parts. The camera lens was not powerful enough to capture those images.

But I did show them to the quality guy and he accepted that they were completely rusted. I have already said, don't go only by the four pictures I have uploaded. There were other parts (inlcuding nuts and bolts) that had turned dark brown.

I quote myself again from Post#243 : Please don't go by the four pictures I uploaded. There were numerous nuts, bolts and other parts on the car that were COMPLETELY RUSTED.

Problem is I don't have photographic evidence to show it to you.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:01   #269
Senior - BHPian

@ Amogh: We believe you that parts were completely rusted. And cellphone camera lens can have limitations.

OFF TOPIC: why 'rust' is part of the word 'trust' in English?
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 11:11   #270
Senior - BHPian

It's obvious that you are not comfortable with the quality of the Punto. There are only two ways ahead from here:

1.) Check the new car that will be allotted to you. Also, visit other dealerships and check other Punto's. If your new car and majority of other vehicles checked by you don't show the rusting and you are comfortable with the situation then buy the car.

2.) Forget the Punto. It's neither the best car in the world nor the only car in the world. Get yourself a i20. It's a competant car and wouldn't disappoint you in any way.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote